Bonus Program

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (13 posts)
  1. SimeyC profile image89
    SimeyCposted 11 years ago

I've read the recent forum about the beta bonus scheme that never worked - so why not make it really simple. You earn a bonus based on how much you earn on the HP Ad program:

>$500 - 1% bonus
    >$1000 - 2% bonus
    >$2000 - 5% bonus

etc.

You get to $2000+ you get a bonus of $100  - certainly worth it in my opinion....

1. Len Cannon profile image87
      Len Cannonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hah, well, I think that maybe earning $2000 is a reward in itself.

2. rmcrayne profile image92
    rmcrayneposted 11 years ago

I think the intent was to motivate hubbers to write more hubs.

3. webquestionanswer profile image55
    webquestionanswerposted 11 years ago

Can you tell how it works

1. Pearldiver profile image68
      Pearldiverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If like me you are prepared to wait 3 years to get the whole lowdown on it... we can start the clock  for you .....  TODAY!  lol

4. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 11 years ago

I always understood the intent of the bonus scheme was to get Hubbers to write more Hubs, so it stands to reason the bonus has to relate to the number of Hubs not the dollars earned, surely?

1. Simone Smith profile image88
      Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's what we had thought, yes.

5. SimeyC profile image89
    SimeyCposted 11 years ago

Surely the two go arm in arm? - The bonus scheme was initially setup to make people write more hubs that were profitable - the idea being that the average earnings per hub had to be over a certain amount.

Making some of the top writers produce a minimum of four hubs may be counter-productive. Some hubs that earn $100s a month will take several months to develop - thus forcing a hubber to create a new hub every week essentially reduces the chance of creating stellar hubs that are evergreen and will continue to earn for years.

Thus the idea that it should be linked to total earnings rather than average earnings.

Perhaps changing my idea to 'Earnings from hubs created in the last three months' would be more effective and encourage people to write more quality hubs....

As it stands the beta bonus scheme rewards passed achievement but doesn't enourage stellar hubs - if I have an average earnings thanks to a couple of hubs way back in the past -then creating a couple of new hubs is not going to change my average much -there's nothing to encourage me to make commercially viable hubs now...

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Don't think so, Simey.  "Earnings from hubs created in the last three months'" will result in writing a few hubs and then spending the time promoting the tar out of them.  In the short run they'll do better, but over years the earnings won't be any different.  Except, of course, that you won't have nearly as many hubs.  I would expect doing this would be a short term gain but a long term loser.

The beta program was a nice idea, but hasn't worked and I don't see how it really can.  If a bonus could be paid for each stellar hub that would be great, but also means that each and every hub must be read (really read, not scanned) by a human, making human objective judgements.  Can you just imagine the hue and cry in the forums over such a thing?  Give people concise, clear cut rules for what makes it "stellar" and that's what you'll get without any creativity thrown in - it will be just another game to beat.  Don't give those rules and everyone that is turned down will be furious because we're all "excellent" writers and should have been paid that $5 or whatever.  And nobody is going to care that that magnificent payment is actually 50 cents per hour for their work - they'll just be mad they didn't get it.

SimeyCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

But Amazon do just that-  the percent you get is based on the number of sales you make. Many people complained when HP was going to create seperate Amazon IDs - they would lose out on the higher percentages on their other Amazon sales outside of HP.

If you take a look at any business - bonuses are always based on recent performance. If I wrote a hub 4 years ago that constantly earns big money - why should I continue to benefit from that? In the real world if you have a stellar year you get a bonus for that year - if you perform badly the next year you don't get a bonus.

In most sales jobs you get paid bonuses on what you sell. HP is a business - it benefits by people making more money - stellar hubs make more money - so at the end of the day having an earnings related bonus will produce more stellar hubs....

1. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Simey, but sales (amazon or a car salesman) don't continue to produce income.  If you put all your efforts to "making the sale" (promoting the hub for quick traffic) you aren't writing any more hubs.

In the long run you'll get the traffic anyway, but having blown your time promoting instead of writing you won't have any more hubs to earn with.

Or so I see it, and I know others disagree.  I promote each new hub - about 15 minutes worth of time.  Then it's back to writing, making another hub to earn with (or playing on the forums! smile )

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Actually, I don't see why, if the promotion is done properly.

Most successful internet entrepreneurs have always said writing online is 10% writing and 90% promotion. The promotion side of things has got more difficult since Penguin but fundamentally, things haven't changed - Google still counts backlinks and likes and Tweets, so you still need them.  They're just harder to get, which means the time you spend on promotion should be longer, not shorter.

The right kind of promotion has a long term effect, not a short term one.

By encouraging Hubbers to write more Hubs rather than spend time promoting, HubPages is pushing the "just write and they will come" model.  That used to be one of the unique features of HubPages, that you could just write and traffic would arrive - but it's no longer the case and I doubt very much those days will ever return.  These days HP is like every other website - you need to promote to do well.

So perhaps Simey is right, rewarding on the basis of success might not be such a silly idea.

SimeyCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

big_smile It works in every other performance based industry and sadly that seems to be the way online writing is going!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)