Tasers and Stun Guns might be good alternatives

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (32 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 11 years ago

With all the controversy about guns in society,  in particular in schools these days,  I think tasers and stun guns might be a feasible and good way to arm teachers in classrooms.    For one thing, I don't think teachers should have to be focused on how to use an actual firearm.  They'd need to be checked up on on a regular basis too,  making as sure as possible that they were both legally eligible to own a firearm and that they were responsible enough to own one.     I say that because, honestly, there are some teachers/school officials that aren't mentally capable of proper use of a firearm.   I saw on tv one teacher who said she has a phobia, a fear, of elementary children!    Yet she is or was a teacher in the higher grades.    She was gonna be transferred to the younger grades and she complained that she has a legitimate fear of kids!    I for one wouldn't WANT her to have a firearm in school.    And who knows how many teachers are trigger-happy or need anger control management themselves?!    I've seen stories of some pretty radical behavior from some teachers.

I think we should put more armed guards in schools.   That, and possibly incorporate the use by teachers of tasers and stun guns.    At the very least, teachers should have mace handy and maybe other alternatives.     And always the issue remains of how to make sure no students get access to those,  the liability to the teachers and to the schools IF a student DID get hold of a firearm or a taser, etc.

I've been reading that tasers have a range of about 15 feet.    Police-style tasers can have an even longer range.    And if a guard armed with an actual gun is on duty,  then all the bases would be covered as much as feasibly possible in order to ensure as much safety as possible from every angle.

What do you think?

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Just very glad I don't live in a Christian nation where the teachers need to be armed.

What do you think?

1. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think there's gonna be crime at some point in every aspect of society no matter what.   And I think that Americans in general are actually trying to do the best thing in this issue.

And I think you have a phobia about Christianity,  since you always seem to mention it, blame it for all the ills of the world.

And I think it would be good if you'd actually think about the topic of this thread,  give some honest thoughtful input into it.
        Do you think tasers would be a viable part of the solution to the issue of protecting students?

You asked what I thought. I told you what I think - that I am glad I don't live in a Christian nation where it is necessary to arm teachers. So - no - I don't think Tasers would be any sort of answer.

Odd that you are so concerned with the Material Life that is just a precursor to The Real Life. lol lol

You sure you think dead children go to live with Jesus in a better place? Because it is strange you seem to want to stop that. Almost like you do not believe.

1. profile image0

That's hogwash, Mark, and you know it.  You've conversed with me and other Christians long enough on this site to know by now that Christians believe that little children go to heaven.    We also believe in protecting their lives as long as they do live on this earth.   Just because there's the afterlife doesn't mean there's no value in earthly life.  If there was no purpose or value to earthly life, then God wouldn't have created Man to start with.

LOL

Odd that you are so concerned about preventing the children from going to be with Jesus for eternity. Almost like you don't actually believe in the afterlife. You don't believe any such thing - as you are a fan of guns. Glad you see the logical fallacy though. Think about it..............

1. profile image55
                whoisitposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Odd that you want children to go to a heaven you don't believe in. Its almost as if you don't believe your own words.

Why don't you want children to stay alive?

1. profile image0

Hey, that's a good point you made to Mark.
                  whoisit, you rock.  smile

2. Mark Knowles profile image59

I agree - guns should not be readily available.

Why do you hate children so much that you want them to live in a country where it is necessary to arm the teachers because the children are under threat.

I don't believe in heaven - but you guys do. Why would you not want the children to go there?

1. profile image55

Odd that you would agree with something that wasn't said, hearing voices? Why do you want children to die so they can go to nonexistent places?

Why do you care so little for the innocent among us?

2. profile image0

Let's get something straight---
                I'm not a "fan of guns".    But I do believe in the right of America as a Nation to bear arms, and in the right for individuals of America to bear arms to protect themselves from enemies foreign and domestic

However, the basic right (as any right does) is contingent upon privilege;  it is a privilege to own a gun, just like owing a driver's license.  And those individuals should be held to responsible ownership and use of those guns.   I think there should be more stringent background checks, and more stringent monitoring of gun ownership.  I believe that households containing mentally ill people who could gain access to firearms should be held to specific rules for ownership and containment of firearms, and if that's not feasible then I think that household should be barred from containing firearms at that time and in that situation.   I believe that individuals who have a verifiable history of inability to control anger should be vetted if they want to own a firearm. 

We already have good gun control laws in place.    But yes I think they could be made better.   Without taking away the basic right to bear arms.   It can be done, and should be done.    The problem is currently that people don't trust a President who's got a history of trying to be Mr. Control Freak and instead wants to be a King,  and we have Cabinet members who haven't correctly executed the duties of their Offices, so they're not to be trusted with any issue, much less an issue about gun rights.   American needs good leadership on this, and we don't have good leadership, and Obama isn't about to change.

2. profile image0
      Sarra Garrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Using a tazer against a gun is like bring a knife to a gun fight.....you are going to loose.

There needs to be metal detectors at all doors as there are too many children bring guns to school!  The parents of these children need to be punished on one form or another for allowing a child to be able to get a hold of these weapons.  If you have children in the house, the weapons need to be locked in a gun safe with a trigger guard on each weapon.  I live alone so my weapon is locked, loaded and one in the chamber next to my bed. 

It's unfortunate, sad and sick that our children are no longer safe going to school.  Personally, I have no problem with having a police presence, however, if it ends up putting up constantina wire around the building making them look like prisons that's where I draw the line. 

If I was still of childbearing age and had young ones at home I would opt for home schooling.  Banning guns is not the answer and it would never work.

3. profile image59
      Writer Chuckposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Brenda,
      I think liberals have jumped into gun control using the Sandy Hook tragedy as an excuse to bring up the subject. Again the politicians are not legislating against the criminal or studying the mental health problems related to gun control. Liberals are more interested in assaulting the second amendment. They don't want anyone to have guns. Just remember this, criminals will always have guns, and they don't have them leagally.

1. profile image0

I believe you're right, Chuck.

4. Brisbanelocksmith profile image63
      Brisbanelocksmithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

In Australia Police carry tazers.
      They still can kill.  Especially when the police tazer you 20 or 30 times.
      They took all the guns away from us here too.  There are still shootings, but seems to be mainly the more organized criminals.  Average people here don't carry guns and we are better for that.  Problem is the organized crime can get more of a foot hold as they are the only ones with the guns. We need a police force that is less corruptible and  capable of dealing with organized crime and not one that can only give speeding tickets.
      You can still have guns here if you join a shooting club or a farmer, etc..

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

You do not taser a person holding a gun as can cause them to fire. You cannot use it to restrain them. It does not lock their muscles to the point where voluntary action is impossible.  It pisses them off.  And they are still armed.

So I would suggest it is next to useless when dealing with armed people with an intent to kill--of the type central to the current debate.  For people who are just being a menace (drugged up, angry etc) a non-violent restraint hold is more to the point and less likely to kill them.

1. profile image0

Thanks for your input!

I'll ask--wouldn't shooting them with an actual gun possibly cause the same reaction (they could involuntarily or voluntarily shoot anyway)?    Unless the teacher was a skilled enough or lucky enough to disable or kill them with the first shot.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

When done by a police officer, the shot should have a very high chance of killing them. Dead people are very low risk. Outside of moving outright killing a person by a shot to the brain or heart does not make their finger contract.

When done by a random armed civilian... I have the same reservations as for tasers. And when you consider kids being in a room with a gun at all.  I think that should be avoided. I think it would cause more deaths than it prevented.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

If you pursue the jibes, you kill the central discussion.  That is why half the threads seem to become about religion no matter what they started off as.

1. profile image55

Amen, oops.

2. Quilligrapher profile image72
      Quilligrapherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Never feed the trolls. They come back for more.
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6919429.jpg

4. Verily Prime profile image55
    Verily Primeposted 11 years ago

The Tasers are great alternative - as for the teacher who has a phobia... why did she get into teaching in the first place to be around the very children that caused her Phobia?

1. profile image0

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01 … trict?lite

She claims to have a very specific phobia.    This article says she was transferred from high school to junior high.........

I dunno why she ever started teaching in the first place!   But it says she taught for 35 years!   So maybe her "phobia" developed later on.

Doesn't make much sense to me, but........

5. Verily Prime profile image55
    Verily Primeposted 11 years ago

OK...

6. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 11 years ago

i can't believe there is any discussion about teachers being armed....i read someone's post about having monitors on school grounds that determine who enters or who doesn't...but not armed with a flippin' gun!....there are children there??????    but then again i'm a canuck and have a totally different view of things....anyway...i truly feel US media plays a big part in ill people who want 5 minutes of fame...i really don't think school shootings happen all over the world...but for some reason the US seems to have more of them....the US has there own share of flippin' resident terrorists I guess.......................................the media needs a slap - they focus too much on the ill person and not so much on the victims.....so more ill people read and get ideas....maybe i'm wrong...i'm not sure anymore....too much reality crap in the US as far as i'm concerned....5 minutes of fame.....what's wrong with people who want that 5 minutes...something is missing for some folks that is for sure...and what's wrong with the media....

my 2 cents....ahhhh...it's friday on hp!

1. wilderness profile image93
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Most (all) of the high schools that I am familiar with in my area have an armed cop in the school.  The security systems are impressive; remotely controlled cameras everywhere, capable of reading a car tag from a 1/2 mile away. 

A single button press will close and lock every door in the school, even bathrooms, and robotically call the cops.  An "airlock" type of entrance, double doors with space between then and with door locks controlled from the office.

A very sad state of affairs.

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
        SomewayOuttaHereposted 11 years agoin reply to this

that is so, so sad....what happened?....no need to comment.....

2. profile image0

I wonder how economically feasible that kind of security is........
        It sounds great!
        If it works,  it's much better than arming teachers, since, honestly, they need to be focusing on their jobs and not have to become "armed security" themselves..........

7. EdSaterstad profile image87
    EdSaterstadposted 11 years ago

Schools are targeted because the coward doing the killing wants to off himself before he gets caught. The 'gun free zone' lets him know that there is little chance he will be met with equal firepower. The police will come, but he will have turned his gun on himself before that happens.

You would not need to arm a teacher in each school. You would just have to let it be known that qualified teachers have the option to carry. The assailant would be less likely to target a school if he knew there was a real risk that he could be inconpasitated, but not killed. 

Tasers and Stun Guns are only effective if used properly. it would take more training to use them then it would to use a gun.

8. Foresta-Gump profile image61
    Foresta-Gumpposted 11 years ago

And I'm the biggest and best troll out there!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)