My Baby will not sleep through the night- 17 months old

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (12 posts)
  1. nicolettemk profile image60
    nicolettemkposted 11 years ago

My little lady is the toughest baby out there- and I have worked in several daycare centers and have 8 neices and nephews. I am almost to the end of my rop here and do not want to be woken up through out the night any longer. My baby will wake up mostly 2 times or more ffrom 7:30- 6 AM. she is then up for good and will take one nap during the day. I am losing my mind- probably because how exhausted I permenantly am. I also cannot nap with her because I also have a 4 year old running around. Help!

1. C_MarieWeber profile image61
      C_MarieWeberposted 11 years agoin reply to this

As mother to five my only advice is to give it time. My last little boy (4 now) was the same way. I swear I didn't get a full nights sleep until he was three. Just remember that it'll pass eventually. I'm sorry this isn't good advice. I do understand how tiring little ones can be.

2. Stina Caxe profile image81
      Stina Caxeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Maybe some oatmeal before bed will fill her tummy.  My son is 14 months and he wakes up sometimes but has pretty much slept through the night for awhile now.  He only takes one short nap a day though,  It does seem like he sleeps better when he is full and then has a bottle of warm milk after he eats.

3. profile image0
      Shroudsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

let your baby sleep on her chest with face facing her mother everytime at night.

4. Scent profile image60
      Scentposted 11 years agoin reply to this

warm milk with a touch of vanilla extract. wordless classical music

2. jabelufiroz profile image70
    jabelufirozposted 11 years ago

What sleep strategies can I try?

The following tactics may help your baby to sleep better when she's as young as six weeks old. Try to be consistent, even at weekends.

Make daytime feeds social and lively, and night-time feeds quiet and calm. This will help your baby to set her body clock and learn the difference between day and night.

Give your baby the chance to fall asleep on her own from between six weeks and eight weeks. Put her down on her back when she's sleepy, but still awake. If you rock or feed your baby to sleep she may start to depend on it, rather than be used to settling herself. But it's up to you to decide what's best.

Set a bedtime routine. Keep it short and simple, such as a bath, a nappy change then into her pyjamas, and a story or song. You could also try massaging your baby. Finish the bedtime ritual in your baby's bedroom and make sure that her room is a pleasant place to be. This routine should last no longer than 45 minutes.

Give her a security object, such as a baby blanket or stuffed animal. Keep it near you for a while so it becomes mum-scented. If you are breastfeeding, you could try expressing some breastmilk onto a small piece of muslin. Babies have a strong sense of smell, and when she startles awake, the smell of you will calm her down.

Let your baby cry it out if she is four months or five months old.

Source:
    http://www.babycentre.co.uk/a123/how-ca … -the-night

3. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
    mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years ago

Try a few drops of Lavender oil on her pillow (must be the pure essential oil, not just lavender scented stuff). This is a natural sedative and harmless to children. I gave some to a male friend whose young daughter was not sleeping through the night either, next day he told me that it didn't just help her, he tried it and slept right through the night too.

4. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

Maybe move her bedtime to a half hour later?  Does she have a calm, consistent bedtime routine?
    If she wakes up crying, and is ok, you might need to endure some crying for a while.  Probably at this point, she knows if she cries, you're going to come and attend to her.  She is responding to routine.

The lavender sounds like a nice idea to try, and it does work to help calm a room.  We used it in an infant room at a preschool I used to work at, and it helped the babies sleep calmly.  It was a light spritz of lavender oil in the room.
    You can also spray it on yourself if you snuggle with your little one before bed.

5. livewirez profile image70
    livewirezposted 11 years ago

I think this is the biggest challenge for us parents. I am also a father of 1month little boy, every 3 hours at night me and my wife are awake because our baby is crying for simple reason is hungry.

6. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years ago

Maybe try keeping her awake during her normal naptime just once (it would not be good to do it regularly), so she is extra sleepy that night.  And/or, as suggested, put her to be a bit later.  Then a warm bath before bed?  Warm cereal is good, too.

Also - if you are getting up and tending to her, I would stop doing that.  It just trains her that you will come in at night when she cries.

If she is wet when she wakes up, try avoiding liquids (water, milk) for at least two hours before she goes to bed, so she won't wake up from a wet diaper (might be drier all night?).  And use industrial strength nighttime diapers so she won't feel the dampness as easily.

My kids woke up very early every morning (like, 4 a.m.) for years. I swear, I did not have a full night's sleep for about 15 years.  I truly understand how exhausted you are!

7. 2besure profile image80
    2besureposted 11 years ago

If you can keep her from napping a few days, or cut her nap short, perhaps, she will be tired at night.  Also if she is dry and not hungry leave her in her crib.  She may cry for a while until she realizes she won't give in to her.  She will learn eventual to learn to lay in the crib and entertain herself. (self-sooth - meet the Fockers, LOL).  It will be a little hard to hear her cry, don't let her cry too long maybe 5 minutes or so.  Good luck.

8. Moms-Secret profile image76
    Moms-Secretposted 11 years ago

My family always gave babies a heavier bottle at night so that they do not wake up to hunger.  They also didn't put us to sleep so early 8-6 is ten hours. 
    Goodluck

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)