Gun Brainwashing

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (46 posts)
  1. profile image0
    JaxsonRaineposted 11 years ago

This is specific to the comments made by Eric Holder. He said he wanted to brainwash people into negatively thinking about guns.

Now, this begs the question. If guns are bad, then why would we have to brainwash anyone? Wouldn't he say he wanted to educate people about how guns are bad?

Does anyone here think that Eric Holder could possibly believe guns really are bad, if he says he needs to brainwash people into thinking about them negatively?

1. profile image53
      whoisitposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If they are bad then he needs to disarm the FBI.

2. tsadjatko profile image65
      tsadjatkoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That was in 1995 and yes he meant brainwash - here is what he said:     “Uh I’ve also asked the school board to make a part of every day, some kind of anti-violence, anti gun message, everyday, every school, at every level. One thing that I think is clear with young people, and with adults as well, is that we just have to be repetitive about this; it’s not enough to simply have a catchy ad on a Monday and then only do it every Monday. We need to do this every day of the week and just really brainwash people into thinking about guns in a vastly different way.”

That's right we need to brainwash children, and while he is at it I'm sure he'd be for brainwashing children to be liberal democrats, support unions and gay marriage. Why stop with how they think about guns.

This is exactly how liberals think about everything - they don't want anyone to think for themselves because frankly they think we are too stupid and need to be brainwashed with liberal ideas because liberals know what is best for us all. You've heard them say "You never let a serious crisis go to waste. And what I mean by that it's an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before."

They can't educate you to their policies, or institute their policies because they work (they don't work) - they must brainwash or take advantage of a crisis to impose their policies on you and that is exactly what we see happening with gun control only here they have taken a tragedy and tried to turn it into a crisis so they can attempt to "do things you think you could not do before." Democracy at work? Not in your life!

You don't hear anything about Holder's brainwash quote though do you? Can you imagine what would have been said about it if a Republican said the same thing only that we should brainwash people to embrace the 2nd amendment? Can you imagine?

2. profile image56
    Education Answerposted 11 years ago

Gun Control
    - Brought to You by the Makers of the Fast and the Furious

1. profile image53

Brought to you by criminals!

1. tsadjatko profile image65

Democrats are criminals? hmmmm You may be right on that.

1. tammybarnette profile image60
          tammybarnetteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ahhh, the sweet smell of partisanship... roll

3. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 11 years ago

As a parent myself, I am frequently amused at the fear so many conservatives have that people, or their children, can be brainwashed by liberals.  Are you so lacking in confidence in your ability to instill values in your children, as well as the courage to think for themselves, that you fear them being exposed to other ideas?

Do you live in fear that you yourself or other conservatives can easily be brainwashed by social messaging?

I'm genuinely puzzled by this.  I grew up with one parent who used the "N" word and another who believed in God, but I also grew up with the ability to think for myself and come to my own conclusions about a wide variety of subjects from religion to race to the value of material possessions. 

So, is it other people's intelligence (other conservatives' intelligence, in this case) you so easily dismiss, or your own?

1. profile image53

LOL, conservatives are not the ones who have been brainwashed.

1. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I didn't say they have been.  However, this entire thread is about the fear of children being brainwashed by liberals in school.  As a parent, I'm okay with an anti-violent, anti-gun message being taught in schools.  If I were not, however, I would simply discuss it with my kids and provide them with another point of view, and let them think about it for themselves.  Much like my mother did with me when one of my teachers told us that holding hands would lead to pregnancy.

1. profile image53

I don't believe you got my meaning. I'm convinced you are anti-gun.

1. profile image0

LOL, I own a gun and I know how to shoot it.  We live in a rural area and we use guns for practical reasons.

2. profile image0
          JaxsonRaineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Are you ok with a school pushing either a left/right political message in school every single day, in order to, quote, brainwash them?

I'm not. If they want to provide both sides of an issue, they should do so. Equally.

1. profile image0

No, I'm not okay with it.  That is why we use our voices by voting for those whose values reflect our own.  Sometimes we win; sometimes we lose.

1. profile image0

You seemed to be ok with it earlier. I guess I just misunderstood.

1. profile image0

I am not okay with it, but then, the world doesn't always go my way.  My children have to learn that, too.  Seems like a good lesson to me.

2. profile image0

I'm not at all worried about my kids.

I'm worried about the kids who aren't getting any parenting. They don't learn to think critically at school, and if school says guns are bad, they'll believe it.

1. profile image0

Well, if they aren't getting any parenting, then I'm sure school messaging will be countered with all kinds of other messaging, perhaps by people who encourage violence, even.  All hope is not lost that these poor, unparented kids might grow up liking guns.

2. tammybarnette profile image60

Jaxson, I learned about evolution in school and I am still a Christian...It is imperative our children learn to be open-minded in an ever increasing global society...The more we limit and censor the smaller our thoughts and imaginations, which leads to extinction of our culture. Teach your children well at home and never fear,

1. profile image0

Do you understand the difference between teaching something, and brainwashing?

1. profile image0

I think that Eric Holder used the term "brainwashing" inaccurately, but it's nice for conservatives that he did, because now they can spend a few days frothing over it.

2. tammybarnette profile image60

Yes of course, but some do not...The media pumping out lies daily; brainwashing...trying to teach children math, science, anti-violence; teaching...Selling and promoting violent video games, brainwashing...Parents stepping in; teaching..etc

1. profile image0

And saying in school, daily, 'guns are bad, guns are evil, guns will kill you'... brainwashing. I'll never support brainwashing.

They are being taught history, God willing, which is a lot of violence...We have had increased bullying issues...I think some anti-violence would add balance

Anti-violence, not anti-guns...

3. tsadjatko profile image65

I don't hear any conservatives advocating brainwashing in any area but it sounds like that is something you approve of - of course, you are a liberal and fit nicely into the description I supplied.  Thanks for the demonstration confirming what I said.

1. profile image0

Really?  What about state governments who have required the teaching of creationism in schools?  What about insisting that children cite the pledge of allegiance starting at an age when they have no idea what it means?

1. profile image53

You are not for the Pledge of Allegiance?

How about Barrack Obama mm mmm mmmmm?

1. profile image0

So, you admit that conservatives do advocate brainwashing. 

I have no idea what your post means beyond that.

1. profile image53

How is reciting the pledge of allegiance brainwashing? Will it make you go out and serve your country or something?

1. profile image0

I really don't care to get into a debate about the Pledge of Allegiance, but requiring six-year-olds to robotically recite a pledge to anything could be considered brainwashing.

1. profile image53

To what end?

1. profile image0

I Pledge Allegiance to the Peace Symbol, and to the nation for which it stands, working together, without guns, without war, without violence.  One nation, with no God to guide us, just the kindness of our brothers, indivisible, with freedom and justice for all, including the poor, the hungry, the sick, and the weak. 

Now, imagine your 6-year-old standing up every day in school and reciting that.  Are you comfortable?

2. tsadjatko profile image65

So you equate brain washing with teaching? Sorry but I think I'll find someone witha brain to chat with. Bye.

1. profile image0

No, you're the one equating teaching with brainwashing.  I'm saying that if you've taught your children to discuss issues with you so that you can present another side and they can decide for themselves, then you don't have too much to worry about.  That is all.

4. profile image0
    JaxsonRaineposted 11 years ago

I agree, the pledge doesn't belong in schools.

1. profile image0

We agree!  I hear the sound of trumpets!

1. profile image0

Change your mind.

NOW!!!

wink

5. MelissaBarrett profile image58
    MelissaBarrettposted 11 years ago

We are trailing almost every developed nation in the world in education.  You know what needs to be taught in schools?

Academics.

Everything else can be handled by the parents.

God Guns and Patriotism can get bent. 

I want kids taught long division.

1. profile image0

It's so sad, kids can learn so much, but we don't teach them. We waste their time.

We need to teach kids how to think too, that's sorely missing. Logic and reasoning? No way!

1. MelissaBarrett profile image58
        MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Logic and reason are where science comes in.  Science being the big thing that the libs/fundies fight about.

So half the times the teachers CANT teach it... and other times they won't.  That's why I dislike the whole creationism thing in schools.  It flies against scientific process.  How can the teachers teach scientific method (logic and reasoning) while teaching them something illogical and unreasonable.

Now before anyone jumps my ass...  I have nothing against children learning creationism... at home.  But it is NOT scientific.  It shouldn't be taught in a science class.

Patriotism is a concept a school can't teach anyway... and do the NRA people really want a bunch of liberals (most teachers are) teaching about guns?

Leave it all at home....  Our kids are being made stupider by it.

I was in a forum awhile back,I wish I could remember the poster, but they were describing a school system in Australia inwhich an open class period existed that the children could take any religious class or instead use that period for a computer or library class..I really like that idea. I believe moral values have fell by the way side as people work longer hours and extra jobs inadvertenly neglecting their children...Schools are much more violent, bullying, gand raping, etc...I think a little moral lesson wouldn't hurt and shouldn't be mandatory

1. MelissaBarrett profile image58
            MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I could even go with that... if it was optional and required a parent's consent.  And the children were old enough to fully understand that all the opinions about morals and ethics are opinions. However I still think the time would be better spent learning academics. 

The whole problem about whose morals and what ethics still comes into play and I likely wouldn't let my kids within 500 yards of that class...

I understand...I read the classics like Animal Farm, 1984, Crime and Punishment; my mom thought I was crazy, but it actually broadened my mind and thought processes. I am a Christian, so I would love my children to learn those principles more than just Sunday school or tid bits of conversations during our busy daily routine. IMHO, Math, Science, etc are imperative but I also believe children need more to be well rounded thinkers.

6. taburkett profile image58
    taburkettposted 11 years ago

when a person wishes to challenge the truth, they must result to brainwashing techniques in order to achieve their deceitful goal.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)