Introduce quality testing for new hubbers before they can join.

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (22 posts)
  1. innerspin profile image85
    innerspinposted 11 years ago

Is it really viable to let anyone and everyone join HubPages? As hubs are now quality checked, why not make the first hub a test to see if they can join. It is obvious from hub hopping that people with little writing ability are publishing hubs. Surely they could be denied access to further publication, removing the need to QA them again. This may discourage spammers and the like, which would reduce pressure on the assessors and moderators in the longer term.

1. Stove And Home profile image93
      Stove And Homeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree. I am tired of seeing people publish hubs for an English-speaking audience who can't even write legible English. Then those Hubbers somehow just don't get it, and are surprised that they don't generate traffic or make money.

How about learning English?! It's like me trying to write articles in French when I just took a few semesters of it and can barely remember the language.

1. Deltachord profile image60
        Deltachordposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 11 years ago

This has been suggested many, many, many times!    HubPages has always said that it would be too labour-intensive, and that writers would be unhappy if they had to wait for their Hubs to be published.

Infobarrel, Wizzley and Zujava all have a probationary period of some kind, but they are much smaller sites.

innerspinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sorry if it's been suggested before. My point is that the hubs are now quality assessed anyway, so how does it make for much more work?  Some of the hubs on the hopper are cringeworthy. I can't see that it would take much extra work to announce that your first hub would be assessed before publishing, then you may or may not be accepted as a hubber. Maybe I'm not seeing the bigger picture, but the emphasis I hear is that quality counts. Are new hubbers getting this message, or are they thinking anyone can publish anything on site?

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm not saying it makes sense, I'm just saying that I've been here a few years and I've heard the same message from HubPages every single time it's been brought up.

2. SmartAndFun profile image95
      SmartAndFunposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The funny thing is, most HP writers (except for the speshul chosen few) are already waiting for their hubs to be published and many of them are already angry about it.

3. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 11 years ago

I had a similar suggestion about an orientation period several weeks ago in the "Retire Hubberscore" thread, complete with measures and criteria. I never saw a response. I think it makes so much sense.

4. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

We like the idea of HubPages being an open publishing platform- it means a lot to us that anyone can join and have a shot at winning a wide readership.

We've decided to improve the quality on HubPages not by turning people away, but by only Featuring Hubs that are of high quality (as determined though our Quality Assessment Process: http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Featured-Hubs).

Personally, this seems more fair to me, as there really is a learning curve when it comes to writing online, and it would be a shame to turn talented people away from the get-go just because they don't 'get it' right away. smile

innerspinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for replying, Simone. I'd read a couple of things recently that seemed to say assessors were snowed under with work, so thought that it would be a way of ultimately reducing the work.

5. WriteAngled profile image73
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

Surely, though, it would be obvious from those first attempts that someone simply does not have a sufficient command of English to produce acceptable content, is using a spinner or is only here to promote one thing!

At the moment, instead of targeting the above individuals, you are punishing and demotivating people who may be producing excellent, well-researched and knowledge-filled hubs, but who choose to write on minority topics, lack the SEO and marketing knowledge to succeed in the search engines, lack the time or are not willing to keep pushing themselves on social networks, or any combination of these. There is nothing wrong with the quality of their hubs; the authors simply have not found how to suceed in driving traffic to them.

1. profile image0
      cartondamageposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for supporting newcomers.  It is difficult enough to discover a forum willing to accept unknowns, without adding censorship based on bias. So many fellow Hubbers are experienced, with strong backgrounds in social media and marketing techniques.  It may surprise you to know that even in this great and wonderful year of 2013 there are still those of us who remain uninformed about the technological advances made over the past few years; those of us who still want to believe that if we do our best, put ourselves 'out there' and trust in The Hub good things will happen.  I, for one, claim those good things and look forward to meeting the challenge of Hubbing one small step at a time.

6. Stina Caxe profile image81
    Stina Caxeposted 11 years ago

I like that anybody can publish their writing here.  I do think that for people who aren't very good with their quality, this gives them the opportunity to get valuable feedback and learn from some really amazing writers.  I know that personally I have learned a lot since I started out here and I credit that to all the people here who have helped me and inspired me.

1. JimTxMiller profile image78
      JimTxMillerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well said, Stina! If this is truly to be a learning experience, then it should remain open to all.

2. Millionaire Tips profile image89
      Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I really like the idea that anyone can publish here as well.  It is less intimidating and you don't feel like you have to measure up to some high standard that you are not aware of.

However, I think that we do need to provide more and better feedback to help Hubbers reach that bar, or at least know where it is!  I also think that the Featured concept (and especially the non-featured concept) should be clearly communicated with all Hubbers, especially the new ones.  They need to know that they are wasting their time if they don't make an attempt or manage to get that bar.

7. meloncauli profile image90
    meloncauliposted 11 years ago

Loving the new "Need Some Goals" when editing. Hopefully this will help and encourage writers generally.

8. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 11 years ago

I'm 1,000% in favor of NO pre-test requirement to join HubPages, just keeping it as is.  And I'm hardcore about that.  If HP had been utilizing such an "entrance bar" when I joined 5 years ago, I'd have flipped the site the mental finger and gone somewhere else so fast I'd have left skidmarks on the screen.

Nor would I join ANY other "entrance-test" site today (if HP were for whatever reason out of the picture), nor in the future, not EVER. 

Yay, TEAM!  You've definitely got this one right.

9. ThompsonPen profile image64
    ThompsonPenposted 11 years ago

I agree to a point, but I do disagree a bit. I feel like since joining Hubpages, and BECAUSE of joining hubpages, my writing has really improved. When I first started out on here, I just wanted to get my short stories out there. Ive always been against writing articles because I always felt like there was a format that one had to follow, and I wasn't willing to follow it. However, since joining, as I've said before, I've come to really enjoy writing articles, and find I write more factual or opinion pieces than I do fiiction, and I enjoy it. Hubpages has helped me to expand my skills, and I don't think i would have gotten on here had I been "quality checked" upon my sign up.

10. LisaMarie724 profile image66
    LisaMarie724posted 11 years ago

I think both sides have valid points but I lean towards not having to undergo a 'quality test'.  I think all of us here on hubpages have improved since we published our very first hub.  You learn as you go and Hubpages gives everyone the chance to learn the craft and we are like a family here eager to help out the newer hubbers so that they will get better.

11. profile image57
    maryeasonposted 11 years ago

Good points for both arguments. I was "hub hopping" and saw some terrible hubs. If they didn't look good right at the beginning, I didn't bother reading more.

1. Deltachord profile image60
      Deltachordposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Exactly.

2. JimTxMiller profile image78
      JimTxMillerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And that's fine. I do the same thing. But I'm not going to say someone should not be allowed in based on one lousy hub.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)