Idle Hubs Icon

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Daughter Of Maat profile image95
    Daughter Of Maatposted 11 years ago

I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but I'm having issues noticing when a hub goes idle. Is there any way we can put like a red H icon on idle hubs instead of leaving it blank? That would make it much easier to find quickly.

1. bac2basics profile image86
      bac2basicsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi. I´m having issues at my hubs being idled in the first place, even 10 hits a year is worth it in my view and I wish HP would stop putting my hard work out to pasture, full stop !! I spent an age this weekend editing and everything has had quite a number of views now they are back on line, I don´t know why this should be so, but obviously I am curious to know if they would have been viewed even more had they not been idled . I see that could be a problem noticing when hubs have been idled if you have a huge amount, but personally I found the ZZZ´s to be depressing and even the blanks have the same effect, a red H would really bring me down, it would be like a red pen X on school work.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
        gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000!!!!

2. Laura Schneider profile image85
      Laura Schneiderposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've had that same problem, Daughter of Maat! Bac2Basics, I share your opinion on idling hubs. I didn't mind the ZZZs because it helped me notice what needed some pruning and tending. But pulling them out of circulation, I don't think, is fair or reasonable* since most hubs take months to start drawing attention (*unless there's something seriously wrong with the hub, such as massive spelling or grammar errors or inappropriate content for our general audience, in which case it should be unpublished altogether and the author notified immediately and explained why it was pulled). gmwilliams, I don't know what you're trying to say, but I bet I agree with it ;-).

1. bac2basics profile image86

Hi laura. I am grateful for your response and I do agree, if there´s a whopping big error on the hubs fair enough, but don´t just pull them because of lack of interest, you never know what´s suddenly going to take off and it´s unfair not to give good hubs a chance. I just read up on long tailed searches where HP actually encourages you to be creative and write about things that are not run of the mill,and not everyday searched for hubs and then be pulled for lack of traffic, seems a bit contradictory to me.

2. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

By clicking at the top of the "Featured" column, you can bring all non-Featured Hubs to the top, making them much easier to review. smile

1. Peggy W profile image95
      Peggy Wposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Simone.  That will make them much easier to spot!  smile

3. SmartAndFun profile image95
    SmartAndFunposted 11 years ago

I think HP removed the ZZZs because it was hurting people's feelings to see them on their list of hubs. HP felt that leaving the spot blank would put a more positive spin on things, rather than people opening up their accounts page and getting angry or depressed over all the ZZZs next to their best hubs.

1. DreamerMeg profile image80
      DreamerMegposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am shocked that some of my hubs are not "featured". I can assure anyone reading that my English is of a high standard and I also put a lot of work into my hubs to provide useful information. The problem with them being idled is that you CANNOT get them featured anywhere else. I have been submitting links elsewhere to get them featured but the idled hubs get turned down - probably because GOGGLEBOX can't find them. If Google can't find them and the directories won't list them BECAUSE Google can't find them, then how am I supposed to get them back from the idle station? It's a circular problem. I now spend more of my time on Webanswers because nothing I write on there get idled and if I get the top answer rating, I get paid by Google. And I have earned more there than I have here, even though I have been on here longer than on there.

1. SmartAndFun profile image95
        SmartAndFunposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is my understanding that getting traffic to idled hubs will not get them out of idle status. I believe (I'm kinda slow, and things are always changing around here, so please someone chime in if I'm wrong) that the only way to get hubs refeatured is to go into each one and make some sort of edit. It can be something really tiny if you are basically happy with the hub, or you could overhaul the entire article, if you like. Either way, editing it will put it back into pending mode, and once approved by the QAP or whatever it's called, it will no longer have the no-index tag attached to it -- so, if Google ever gets hungry enough to go back and check it, the article may get a bit of Google love again.

However, as I understand it, it is sometimes difficult to entice Google bots to revisit a page that they have previously found a no-index tag on. So your best bet, if you want to keep your idled articles here rather than move them somewhere else, is to edit and resubmit as soon as possible, before Google discovers the no-index tags HP has placed on them.

I'm no expert, so please someone chime in if I'm giving DreamerMeg the wrong explanations here.

I will not bother. I shall just remove them and put them elsewhere.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

With the result that many users don't even know their hubs are idled of what 'not featured' means....

1. SmartAndFun profile image95
        SmartAndFunposted 11 years agoin reply to this

exactly

4. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 11 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/7632560_f248.jpg

1. janderson99 profile image53
      janderson99posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sorry the word 'Idle' no longer exists, its 'normal' Folks!
      "A Hub that is no longer Featured (we dropped the word Idle as it no longer describes the state accurately)"
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/108906

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

a.k.a. obfuscating that the hub is hidden?

I just checked out EzineArticles. I have 2 live articles on there. They don't get many views and the last time I logged in there was well over a year ago. However, those articles are still live. I might just remove my Hub articles, rewrite them (so I don't get accused of plagiarising myself, even if my hubs are snoozing) and put them on ezinearticles. I KNOW that my writing is good enough for there.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
            Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

DreamerMeg, why would you waste your time writing on EzineArticles?   That's not a writing site, it's a place for webmasters to post articles to promote their websites.

Your work can be stolen on any website - but on EzineArticles, other people are actively encouraged to copy the articles and use them on their own blog, free of charge.  In theory, they're supposed to include your author bio, but EzineArticles doesn't police it, so most people don't bother.

If you want to write elsewhere that doesn't have the idle feature, try Infobarrel, Wizzley, Xobba, ThisisFreelance, PubWages.

Thank you.

2. bac2basics profile image86

Hi Mark. Why do I get the feeling you are not taking this seriously , she says, tounge in cheek smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)