Anyone hit by 1/22 panda?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (36 posts)
  1. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 11 years ago

My traffic is down by 25%, but Google Analytics does not show this downturn.

1. moonlake profile image81
      moonlakeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Mine started dropping on the 23 went up on 27-28 from there it just kept dropping.

2. HubPages profile imageSTAFF
    HubPagesposted 11 years ago

Yikes! I'm sorry to hear that. Here's hoping it's just a short term drop (one never knows these days)!

I'm actually doing better than ever- we see all sorts of odd fluctuations. I'd not worry too much at this point and see how your Hubs perform over the next month- if you saw a sudden swing down, you may very well see a sudden swing up in a couple days or weeks.

[EDIT]: Sorry- Simone Smith here- I'm just signed in as HubPages to work on some Learning Center entries.

1. Cardisa profile image87
      Cardisaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It was strange seeing the HP avatar in the forums...lol. I totally forget there was a Hubpages account here on Hubpages lol

3. brakel2 profile image73

Hi Simone - I am looking for the purpose of the update. Thanks for response. I have a few hubs that don't get much traffic and working on those that don't have much in thirty days.

4. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 11 years ago

Again!?
    I am just starting to climb up again...

brakel2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

@Stacie  Maybe mine is a fluke, since nobody else is having problems. I think the refresh was for thin content. Congratulations on your success.

5. Peaches and Cream profile image65
    Peaches and Creamposted 11 years ago

It isn't a fluke. I have several profiles on Hubpages, and each one of them are down at least 30 percent since the date you mentioned.

I wonder how many others have had this problem. I am happy you responded. I wonder if Simone or another staff member has any ideas.

6. Daughter Of Maat profile image94
    Daughter Of Maatposted 11 years ago

I noticed a small drop in my traffic which did happen on the 22nd. Although I noticed lower traffic numbers, I wouldn't have noticed that it happened on the 22nd had I not read this post.

Damn you Google... I was just getting my traffic back up!!

Grrrrr....

Sorry DOM. Maybe it will get better. At least it is not a huge drop. It is very aggravating nevertheless.

7. Millionaire Tips profile image89
    Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years ago

You can check Quantcast to see how the site is doing as a whole.

http://www.quantcast.com/hubpages.com

I'm not good at interpreting this data, but it does look like mostly normal cyclical action, but the high is lower than the previous high and the low is also lower than the previous low, so Panda may have made a difference.

8. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 11 years ago

I've never recovered from what happened a month or so ago......

9. brakel2 profile image73

Thanks MT for the link. The graph shows HP down but not by a lot. Maybe we are doing better than in the past. Yeaaaa!

10. truefaith7 profile image87
    truefaith7posted 11 years ago

I had a big traffic drop yesterday, but I'm not sure if it was due to the Panda update or to causes beyond Google's control.

For one, a lot of people in the US had the day off due to bad weather, which also affected Internet service in a lot of areas. 

Also, according to friends of mine in east Asia, the Lunar, or Chinese New Year holiday (and in may Asian communities abroad) is starting to get underway. A lot of people in that part of the world are going on big shopping sprees this weekend in preparation for family members dropping in or for heading home for the holidays later on this week. As a result, they haven't had much time for the Net. This *might* be playing a role in the traffic drop.

Let's keep an eye on this Panda update and hope this wasn't the case since most of us are finally starting to recover from the last one!

11. brakel2 profile image73

Thanks truefaith for the tip. I did have a big drop yesterday. It helps to know if other factors might be involved in traffic drops. It sounds like you have a good point here. I will keep my eye on traffic and hope for improvement.

12. Cardisa profile image87
    Cardisaposted 11 years ago

I noticed a slight drop this week only. Not too bad. Just one hub in particular I am concerned about.

Cardisa,  Do you have any suggestions besides the usual info? Have you read what Google is penalizing this time?

1. Cardisa profile image87
        Cardisaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Brakel2, not at all. I have been so busy with life and work, I totally zoned out from anything to do with Google..lol

13. sabrebIade profile image80
    sabrebIadeposted 11 years ago

Wow!
    Quantcast literally looks like a rollercoaster!
    Amazing....
    While yesterday is only a 8% drop...it's the fourth day in a row that's a drop.
    That's a 198,450 page view drop since the 28th.
    SOMEBODY is feeling it!

I have had a slow but steady drop since the 23rd and today is the worse I have seem since...well since the last update...LOL

PS: if you look at Squidoo...it has actually lost more that HP has

1. Len Cannon profile image88
      Len Cannonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What's to worry about? That graph looks good. It is holding steady with a slight trend upwards. Look at the low points in each one of the "falls" in the so-called roller coaster. Now look how it is spaced from the next fall. Each one is exactly seven days apart. What you're seeing isn't Panda or any type of changes in search engine behavior in the graph, what you're seeing is a weekly trend, where traffic dies down and then picks up again.

edit: which isn't to say Panda hasn't effected anyone's articles. Just that the graph shows no evidence of change in traffic pattern vs. the norm..

1. sabrebIade profile image80
        sabrebIadeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I wonder if there is anyway to prevent or fix a 198,450 view drop in five days?
        My blogs are not doing this.
        Where are you seeing a slight trend upwards?
        Am I looking at the wrong charts?

1. Len Cannon profile image88
          Len Cannonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

January 2 is lower than January 9 which was lower than January 16.  It's barely significant (maybe not significant at all ...) but at the very least the traffic is relatively steady.  Although, it does seem a bit more volatile...

Anyways, your blogs are only relevant to YOU.  Your traffic , the topics you write about, they could have a very different userbase with very different search habits from someone else. However when you factor in all the different users from all across  HubPages writing about all topics, it seems pretty clear that there's a seven day trend that HubPages traffic follows pretty closely.

Now, it is possible that tomorrow it will just go down and down every day for the next month, but that's not what the graph is showing right now.  It is very consistent.

I'm gonna guess that we should peak again on the 3rd or 4th.

Checked Quantcast this AM and sure enough...the 4th seems to peak.
              Now let's see if traffic starts down again

14. brakel2 profile image73

Roller coasters look better than those graphs. Wonder what the problem could be. I read something about keyword stuffing, poor content, spam - on a webmaster site and Google discussion group. It was not nice. It was an attack on a webmaster who asked what was wrong with his site. They proceeded to crucify him, and then he said he was not the SEO person for the company. I wish staff would tell us something. Maybe there is nothing to tell. We just must work smarter, I guess.

1. Millionaire Tips profile image89
      Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Part of the roller coaster is normal, as it shows the cyclical pattern of people who go online.  It seems that most people go online when they are awake, and a lot of them go online during their business day.  On the weekend and on vacations and holidays, they tend not to be online as much.  At least for me, my weekend traffic is usually slower than my weekday traffic. If you look at the long term view on Quantcast, you can see that some of the roller coaster is normal.

There is a part that is due to Panda and other changes, and that is its own roller coaster that bothers us.

15. MelissaBarrett profile image58
    MelissaBarrettposted 11 years ago

I have three that are similarly written...  Same format same topic but different subtopics.  They were all rather high in the rankings.  Two of them are still performing well but one has dropped to zero views.  I went back over them and looked at them in word processing form.  The one that dropped to zero views has a much higher keyword density that the others.

So there's a theory anyway.

Thanks Melissa. I am going to count my keywords for sure. I have gotten a little lax at that, but it is important. Your theory may be for real.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image58
        MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Just remember I did say three different subtopics...

It could be the one subtopic just isn't being searched for... for some odd reason.

16. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 11 years ago

Well I spoke too soon in an earlier post. Now I'm down with the rest...roll

17. profile image88
    Robbie C Wilsonposted 11 years ago

My traffic is not affected at all. The Google Analytics numbers for the last two weeks are quite steady and pretty good for me. My numbers are not yet that high, but they are increasing over time and I look to be unaffected thus far by any Panda update.

I concentrate only on very evergreen hubs that should be relevant for years to come so perhaps that is why I escape the dreaded Panda. My traffic is growing nicely, but I don't get massive numbers of hits, however, it is a trade-off I am happy with (not chasing topics that may gain large numbers of hits in the short term compared with writing good evergreen hubs for the long term).

18. ocbill profile image53
    ocbillposted 11 years ago

got to start to get a following, invest more time in social circles.

19. JayeWisdom profile image89
    JayeWisdomposted 11 years ago

Yes, my traffic took a nosedive.  This was after it had climbed respectably from the last drop off.  I feel as though I'm riding a roller coaster blindfolded!  It's frustrating, to say the least.

Jaye

20. janderson99 profile image54
    janderson99posted 11 years ago

Isn't great to see the Featured/Idle hubs processes working well.

21. brakel2 profile image73

My traffic keeps going up and down. At least it is not all downhill. My last hub got through in 24 hours.  Things seem to be looking up.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)