List your hubs stolen by "Dan Gordon"

Jump to Last Post 1-30 of 30 discussions (47 posts)
  1. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 11 years ago

Several hubbers have recently found multiple hubs stolen by someone calling themselves "Dan Gordon" (undoubtedly a fake name), including me.  If you are one of the unfortunate ones, please list the offending web page here with the idea being that as DMCA's are filed we can all include a link to this thread for the host to look at.  Please list ONLY those domains that you have filed a DMCA on and make sure that you aren't giving him a backlink.  Please add a space between the "h" and the "t" or use some other method to prevent the post being a backlink.

The idea is to convince GoDaddy (where the majority are being hosted) that "Dan Gordon" is an undesirable and should have no domains at all on their servers.  It may be a long shot, but we don't need thieves like this on the web.

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wilderness - are you going to somehow steer GoDaddy to the sites posted here?

wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If you are a host, receive a huge slug of claims on one customer, and then "find" a list like this, what would your reaction be?

Apparently it's not GoDaddy, but someone else, which means I'll be filing all over again.  With a link or separate communication to this thread and a request that any and all sites operated by "Dan Gordon" be shut down.

2. wilderness profile image96

Filed DMCA against: h ttp://condosineden.heatingncooling.info/pineview-reservoir/learn-to-do-repair/

3. wilderness profile image96

Filed against: h ttp://skivacations.followdollars.com/tag/repair/

4. wilderness profile image96

Filed against: h ttp://triallawyer.exsportsnews.com/plantiff/learn-to-do-repair/

5. wilderness profile image96

Filed against:
    h ttp://northogdenhighschool.makingfuntime.com/2013/01/13/
    h ttp://northogdenhighschool.makingfuntime.com/tag/replace/
    h ttp://northogdenhighschool.makingfuntime.com/north-ogden-high-school/how-to-replace-a-fluorescent/
    h ttp://sandydog.makingfuntime.com/sandy-dog/how-to-a-fluorescent/
    h ttp://building.pc-environment.com/category/roofing-material/
    h ttp://transport.keepingcool.info/tag/fluorescent/

6. wilderness profile image96

Filed against:

h ttp://vw.simpleindicator.com/tag/cars/
    h ttp://seattlecars.clearlab.info/category/car-repair/

7. wilderness profile image96

Filed against: h ttp://biscuits.happylyrics.info/tag/playing/

8. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
    LuisEGonzalezposted 11 years ago

Filed against:
    http: // macappstore.corpcode.info/category/app-store/
    http: // utah.feelgoodcap.com/for-rent/bouncing-an-exercise-in
    http: // kutcher.intuitiveenough.com/category/iowa/

9. wilderness profile image96

Filed against:
    h ttp://cleanteeth.depositmoney.info/tag/adding/
    h ttp://dents.deliverquality.info/fender/adding-a-switch-to/

10. Horatio Plot profile image73
    Horatio Plotposted 11 years ago

Filed Against:
    h ttp://amazonforest.repairmusic.com/bear/how-to-swahili/
    h ttp://warcraft.simpleindicator.com/?s=tower+bridge+london
    h ttp://kungfu.greatsmile.info/fighting/tower-london/
    h ttp://flowers.latestcommissions.com/therapy/tower-bridge-london/

11. wilderness profile image96

Filed against:

h ttp://diazepam.hifreqonlinetrading.com/valium/how-to-wire-a/
    h ttp://lunchsac.about2happen.com/cold-storage/to-wire-a-way/

12. profile image0
    loseraspieposted 11 years ago

Thanks for the warning.

13. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years ago

Filed against:

ht tp://architect.photo-hangers .com/category/architect-courses/
    h ttp hmm/english.tough-way .com/category/newspaper-articles/
    ht tp://indianapolisaccounting.helpbuyhouse .com/category/tax-returns/
    h ttp://momanddad.gogreenprofits. com/category/family-gatherings/
    ht tp://spinalcordinjury.collectingpowder.info/sciatic-nerve-2/how-to-score-high/

Not sure how the happy-sad face got there.  Mobile insert while trying to break up the URLs.

I also filed on a few others - will add later.  The above list is supposed to be removed within hours, or so I was told.

14. kingkos profile image61
    kingkosposted 11 years ago

Wish Dan gordon will not steal other hubs.. Wish them to view are hub and comment only smile

15. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 11 years ago

I looked at some of the links above.  The ones I looked are WORD PRESS.

16. todom12 profile image61
    todom12posted 11 years ago

I feel sorry for him if he copies mine because they arent to good. LOL

17. Judi Bee profile image90
    Judi Beeposted 11 years ago

Just heard from Google that they have removed my copied hub from this one of Dan Gordon's:

http:// atlanta.  houseprotection. info

Also this one, not sure if it was his though:

http://  wheat.  intuitiveenough. com

18. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 11 years ago

Good for you Judi. Hope Google does something about this.

19. brianrock profile image84
    brianrockposted 11 years ago

Here's a friendly suggestion: don't waste your time. I checked some of the websites listed here, and they're simply low grade blackhat webspam. They have absolutely zero chance of outranking your original Hub in Google, and they won't ever take visitors away from your Hubs.

They are created to trick Google into crawling other pages (see the five links at the bottom of every post), and once the post is indexed it's already served its purpose. The spammer has forgotten all about it, moved on, and used some automated software to pump out a few thousand more scraped articles with cheap links at the bottom.

Ignoring the problem doesn't cost you anything (it won't hurt your hubs or cost you traffic), while tracking down scraped content won't really hurt the spammer (Google has already crawled the pages in question). Seems to me like a complete waste of time, and you'd be much better off spending your time writing a new hub. You'd actually stand to gain something from that.

But if you want to keep tilting at windmills, be my guest...

I disagree.  While I have concluded that those rotten sites will never be ranked, Google doesn't like duplicate material and our hubs have been duplicated.  G will likely then downgrade our material as a result.

No, we won't lose traffic directly, but we could very well lose it indirectly as G gives either the individual hub or the entire subdomain a little slap on the wrist.  Allow it to happen enough and we could lose considerable traffic.

I agree with Wilderness - I've already had a huge drop in the two hubs this 'person' (or enterprise) has stolen.  The traffic recovered briefly, but now it is dropping again. 

It would be great if our site (HP) could get behind this effort a bit, too.  I am certain the admins here have contacts at Google that we don't have, and this is happening all over HubPages. We can either have dozens of people swatting at it like flies, or have more clout by the site admins pitching in and letting the right people know there has been a massive scraping of multiple pages here.

In just about every case, the sites on which our work appears (or that show up in search results) are not even related to the topics of our content.  And they are not just stolen, they're being used for illegal back linking.

Back to the original points here - yes, this is harming our traffic and will continue to do so until it's completely ironed out.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
          Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't know why you'd think that. When Panda decimated HubPages back in 2011, HubPages admin had to communicate with Google via the public forum just like every other blog and website owner.  They don't have a special relationship.

Besides, as discussed on another thread, filing with Google is always a last resort (unless the blog has Adsense).   First step is to file with the website owner.  Second step, if they don't respond, is to file with the host.  If none of that works, you can file with Google - but they can't get the site taken down, all they can do is remove it from their search engine results.

Thanks for that insight, Marisa. I was not here when Panda hit, so I had no experience with that incident (thankfully).  My rationale was that scraping huge amounts of content is different from traffic declines due to how Google ranks the site. I would think the legal department there could get involved.  But maybe not.

Thanks, again, for the insight.

20. Geniusknight profile image70
    Geniusknightposted 11 years ago

Why can't we have a script for stopping copy paste of Hubs? Or also if someone just types them back then still we will be able to get notified that a similar content has occurred on the net. Well it's just what I think , I don't know if it's possible or not.! , If made possible then hubpages will not only stop these copy violations but will also gain site rankings. smile

I'm no techie, but have been told the copy/paste can be stopped.  It can also be gotten around very easily, so that's no real answer.

Copyscape is commonly used to find duplicates, but it costs $.05 per search.  HP can't possible pay that each month or whatever for the million+ hubs it has, so it is up to us to find the thieves that have stolen our work.

21. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84

I just got the following message from Google.  This comes after they sent me a message earlier today that they would remove five URLs I had complained about 'within a few hours.'

This makes no sense.

HERE'S THE MESSAGE:

Upon further review of the content in question, Google has decided not to take action on the sites in question. We encourage you to resolve any disputes directly with the owner of the website in question. Please visit http://www.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=9109 to learn how to contact a site's webmaster and request a change.

If you pursue legal action against this site that results in the removal of the material, our search results will display this change after we next crawl the site. If the webmaster makes these changes and you need us to expedite the removal of the cached copy, please submit your request using our webpage removal request tool at http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/removals

We are sorry that we cannot be of more immediate assistance in this matter.

Regards,
    The Google Team

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
      paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Kind of makes one just want to give up.... sad

2. Horatio Plot profile image73
      Horatio Plotposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Marcy, if the URLs are the ones listed earlier in this thread then they are nothing to do with Google. According to Whois.com the top two are registered to domainsbyproxy.com and the bottom three to Dan Gordon. You need to file the DMCAs to the email address shown on the Whois entry.
      Check the Whois listing by entering the domain name in the box on this page;
      http://www.whois.com/whois/
      For the domainsbyproxy ones you can also file them here;
      https://www.domainsbyproxy.com/Default.aspx
      Rob
      x

Thanks, Rob - this is where it's gone in a circle - I checked Whois, and filed with everything that showed up. I'll keep digging further - obviously I'm still not fluent in this.  Basically, it took me in a circle.

3. moonlake profile image81
      moonlakeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have received this same kind of message from Google on sites like this one. The problem is that sometimes the sites are ranking on page one as number one. It pushes our sites further down the list.  Hope I’m making sense.

22. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84

Clarification - apparently they're removing the five URLs I submitted, but there are two others that "G" doesn't feel they're connected with.  Those are the ones that appear as blog sites.  But they're also Google related.

Sorry for the semi-false alarm.  The other five are still appearing in search results. Maybe soon they'll be down.

23. wilderness profile image96

I filed another bunch with the hosts last Friday.  As of now, 14 of Gordon's sites are MIA, and another 6 that I could not verify as his are gone as well.  I'm sure some of those six were his.

I also found 4 copies of one hub that lead to a site reportedly being run by MGM-Mirage that is the same MO - lots of links embedded in garbage, copied text.  Sent them an email delineating what was found under their name but held off the DMCA for a few days in case they want to look at it.

It's been nice to see the hosts taking down the material.  I'm sure they simply demand that Gordon do it, but the more claims they get on the same guy the more unhappy they will be.

1. Horatio Plot profile image73
      Horatio Plotposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Result! Seems sending the DMCAs to the hosts is a good ploy. Hopefully, as you say, they'll get fed up with him.
      Well done wilderness.

In my limited experience, hosts are not please to find duplicate, illegal material on their servers.  I would think that they are ultimately liable whether they make a disclaimer or not.

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84

I've gotten notices that several have been removed - still working on others. As all of us who are dealing with this have seen, "Mr. Gordon" has created a very complicated series of layered back links.

Interestingly, I am not sure I've seen ads on any pages. I wonder if this is a malicious attack someone came up with just to mess with people?  Remember the Skylancers traffic surge last year?

24. abakes98 profile image41
    abakes98posted 11 years ago

I'm relitively new. How is it that you guys find out about these issues? I see complaints daily.

Copy a small portion of your hub, maybe a sentence or two.  Put quotes around it and search for it in google.

Anything with those same characters will show up in the search, and only articles with that wording.

2. abakes98 profile image41
      abakes98posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I meant relatively. Oops! thanks.

25. sparkleyfinger profile image84
    sparkleyfingerposted 11 years ago

i still have no idea how to find whether things are copied online... im a complete novice this way!

26. The Reminder profile image75
    The Reminderposted 11 years ago

h ttp://the4page.blogspot.ca/2012/12/the-meaning-behind-some-company-logos.html

27. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

This is another example. Long ago...

Sorry, other issue...

28. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84

Bump - to get this back on the front page for some folks who have discovered more copied hubs.

29. wilderness profile image96

The last of Gordon's copies of my stuff are now gone, including one that both I and the host requested be removed but wasn't until I complained to the host that he hadn't done anything with it.  Hope they took it down themselves!

I even got another 10 or 15 taken down that weren't his, so I guess all this did me some good in other ways as well.

I do intend to check the hubs that Gordon copied in a week or two again, just to make sure he didn't simply move it to another site.

30. LongTimeMother profile image91
    LongTimeMotherposted 11 years ago

Sounds like a '60 Minutes' story to me. All you need is a few people with examples to show and evidence that what you say is true. You've already made some progress so you're not just complaining without making any effort to resolve the problem. A big media outlet like 60 Mins should have access to the tech head gurus and authorities to track the offender down on camera. They could also get reps from google and the govt to discuss the issue if appropriate.

This is potentially a big story for them. There's a lot of people on HP and, most importantly, just about everyone with a tv has some kind of content on the internet that they don't want stolen. I suggest you write to them. You have enough info including a mailing address to give them a starting point. TV current affairs programs like a challenge, and this is a perfect 'warning' story that would attract a large viewing audience.

Just a thought. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)