I lost my best friend.

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (32 posts)
  1. klidstone1970 profile image59
    klidstone1970posted 12 years ago

Today its been 2 years that I have lost my 5 year old yellow Lab to lymphoma.  It was a terrible time in my family.  We now have a 7 month old black Lab who is an absolute spitfire.  It doesn't take away the grief but it sure makes it alot more bearable.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
      mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I hubbed about these losses using my own experience in,  'My Beloved Dog died Yesterday'. You never forget them or stop loving them, and I still cry for our 'Lady' now, (as well as other pets I have lost before and since). They are truly family, and often a whole load more loyal than our human families! I am so sorry you have been through the same pain.

2. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We lost our Cocker On August 30,2010 9 days after my mom. He is dearly missed. I am so glad that you are able to find joy in another beautiful baby. You are right they cannot be replaced, but it does fill the hole in the heart. smile

3. profile image0
      JaxsonRaineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I know it's not easy. We had to find a new home for our rottie. We rescued him from a shelter, had him for 2 wonderful years, and my wife suddenly developed a horrible allergy to him. Nothing helped and it was getting serious enough that she had a hard time breathing.

You'll see your lab on the other side of the rainbow bridge again smile

4. kyi123 profile image57
      kyi123posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I lost my dog on monday jan 21 i didnt have her very long she was only a year old n i still takeing it hard she was my whole world i treat that dog if she was my kids n i still miss her im waiting for a year or so til i get another dog

klidstone1970posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm so sorry for your loss.  It does get somewhat easier to think about your pet and remember the good times that you have shared with them.  And that's what will help you get through it.  Best wishes to you.

2. Cara.R profile image66
    Cara.Rposted 12 years ago

I lost my dog four months ago due to Lyme Disease. I still can't believe he is gone. I still have his doggy hammock in the back seat of my car. I just can't take it out yet. I hope some day the loss of your beloved pet will turn into great memories where the pain is just a little less.

3. daisynicolas profile image76
    daisynicolasposted 12 years ago

My condolence to your sorrow.  Your dog left this world loved and cared for and death is a passage we cannot stop.  Your new black lab needs you NOW.  Let him live with the same love and care you showered to your lost friend.

4. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 12 years ago

I know what you mean. I lost my ten year old lab seven years ago and I still miss her. My other dog (an eski) became very spoiled after my lab's death because she missed her friend and needed constant attention. Now my eskie is eleven years old and we rush to emergency whenever she sniffs funny. We want to make sure she lives long and healthy but it's scary. I love animals but they just don't live long enough. sad

5. AliciaC profile image93
    AliciaCposted 12 years ago

I sympathize with your loss very much. I lost my golden retriever to lymphoma four years ago. I still think about him a lot, even though like you I have a black lab now. I agree with your last statement - the grief from losing a pet doesn’t go away, but is made more bearable by the presence of a new pet.

6. klidstone1970 profile image59
    klidstone1970posted 12 years ago

Thank you all so much for such heartfelt words.  They mean alot.

7. GmaGoldie profile image81
    GmaGoldieposted 12 years ago

My world has been turned upside down many a time in my life. I met a man who had no close person die in his life and he was my age.

I have lost family, parents, a husband and I remember them all each and every day.

Yet, losing my dogs - three times in my lifetime remains a terrible pain.

I understand fully. Dogs are furry angels that show what we could be as humans at our very best.

8. Sinea Pies profile image61
    Sinea Piesposted 12 years ago

Our first love was a yellow lab named Blondie. She was diabetic, went blind from it (and we got her eye-surgery, which worked) and she was the sweetest little girl ever. She died 6 years ago and even though we have two wonderful labs, now...oneof whom looks just like Blondie...we still miss Blondie a lot.

9. leahlefler profile image96
    leahleflerposted 12 years ago

Oh, it is heartbreaking when a dog dies - especially when they are so young. My heart goes out to you, klidstone!

I lost our pet dog when I was in college (a miniature schnauzer named Telly). Now that I'm married with a family of my own, we got our first dog last year - a gorgeous Golden Retriever. We absolutely adore him and I can't even think of him not being in our lives..dogs are really part of the family!

10. MissDoolittle profile image59
    MissDoolittleposted 12 years ago

I totally feel and understand your pain. We had a Irish Red Setter who had just turned 6 and he died in 2009 due to Leukemia. We did everything together and he left a gaping hole in my heart for a couple of years. This November that's just gone was 3 years, and even though I still get upset about it, I have learnt that you have to move on, but never forget.

We got our new dog Irish Red and White Setter in September 2010. It was difficult at first, but I'm glad he isn't exactly the same, as that would be upsetting.

Dogs can be our best friends, and so it's only natural that when we lose them we grieve how we do.

Sending love and peace your way,

11. Rosie2010 profile image67
    Rosie2010posted 12 years ago

I'm sorry to hear that your yellow lab died of cancer at 5 years of age, but glad to hear that you got a new puppy. 

My Jack Russell Jay died of old age three years ago.  I was devastated and took me three years before I could adopt another.  The pain of losing my husband and then my dog, was just unbearable. 

I recently adopted a four-year old mix spaniel, and we get along famously.. like we have been in each other's life since the beginning of time. lol  I say, we are both very happy, and so lucky, to have found each other.

12. profile image0
    Emily Sparksposted 12 years ago

I know it can be hard to lose an animal you love.  I had the unpleasant experience of finding both my dog and my cat dead.  I  cried for both, and when I think of how great my dog (Ruby--American Bulldog) and cute my cat (Mango--white and orange)were, and still feel a bit sad.  Sorry to hear this about your dog!

klidstone1970posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Emily for reaching out.  I feel dreadful for you for losing both your animals.  They are a member of the family and will be remembered with love.  I worked in a veterinary hospital and saw the sad reality of an animal's death many times, but it is something that you can never get use to.

13. seanorjohn profile image71
    seanorjohnposted 11 years ago

So sorry for your sad loss Klidstone. Hope you have some good photos to renind you of your best friend. It can help to talk about the adventures you both got up to. A couple of years ago A beautiful collie I looked after at weekends and the summer holidays died. I still think of her almost daily.

I had some amazing pictures of him that we now can smile and laugh about.  I, too, think about him still on a daily basis, only now it brings a smile to my face.  My kids miss him dearly, and seem to appreciate the time they spend with our new dog since they had to learn such a painful lesson of losing something they loved so unexpectedly.  Thank you for your kind words.  They meant alot.

14. DrMark1961 profile image97
    DrMark1961posted 11 years ago

I lost my last Pit Bull in 2011 from mesothelioma. He was a rescue and had been kept in an asbestos roofing dumping area for many years. Even though I replaced him and now have the greatest dog in the world, it still hurts, so I know that 2 years is nothing.
    I am glad to hear you have your little 7 month old spitfire. Dogs just do not live long enough.

What a sad way to lose your pet.  It's amazing how quickly one becomes a family member, and a loyal companion for that matter and how fast time goes by when they're with us.  Your right.  They do not live long enough and when they're gone, it's difficult to fill the void.  Our new guy is doing great and has helped tremendously in bringing our house back to life.

15. lorlie6 profile image72
    lorlie6posted 11 years ago

Ahh, klidstone.  As many posters have related, the loss of a dear pet is as difficult as losing a human.  A year ago I had to have 3 animals (2 dogs and 1 cat) 'put down'.  They were all elderly and having difficulty getting around and even eating became a chore for them.  I'll never get over the losses.
    Peace to you and your new baby!

Thank you lorlie6 for wishing us well.  It is a heartbreaking subject to talk about and to go through.  We also had to put down our elderly cat a year after losing our dog.  I use to work in a veterinarian clinic and let me tell you, euthanasia is something that one never gets use to.  The old adage of time healing wounds holds true to an extent but the hole in our heart is always there.  Best wishes to you.

16. profile image56
    maryeasonposted 11 years ago

I have always become so attached to my pets that it is definitely heartbreaking when you lost one. They have all been family members, spoiled rotten, and wonderful!  I remember the loss of each one. (trust me, at 60 years "young" I've lost several.

It's amazing who they all touch our lives and how their memories live on..even after many years.  Thank you for sharing.

17. Maria Cecilia profile image81
    Maria Ceciliaposted 11 years ago

I have a heart to fellow dog lovers who really grief when their beloved dogs passed away.... there is no getting over or getting used to the situation..... as long as we never stop getting dogs and loving them, the pain of separation with them will never end... I have a 12 year old local Philippine dog and I wrote an article about senior dogs like him, it was published by an animal magazine in our country, and at the last part of it was a prayer which I wish to share with dog owners who love their dogs  so much

[b] Dear Lord Thank so much for giving us our Angels in disguise, we love them so much that we pray that you give them a longer life, free from pain and hardship.  In case you already call upon them to cross the rainbow bridge, please just call them without hurting them; let them leave peacefully in their sleep, that natural... that light.... May you always lead us (their humans) in making the right decision for them, and may you grant us the serenity to accept it when they need to leave us for your Kingdom to play with you at last….[b/]

What a beautiful prayer.  It is something that I will truly cherish.

18. Silva Hayes profile image77
    Silva Hayesposted 11 years ago

I am sorry for your loss, Klidstone . . . only Time will dull the loss but it will never go away.  We have lost pets in the past and I think of them still.  We now have a little Maltipoo named Daisy, and she is the heart of the house.  She is only three, innocent and playful, truly a little angel, and I can't even imagine dealing with the loss of little Daisy.  I hope that's a good long time away.  Just know that your dog was fortunate that, during his or her time here on Earth, he or she had you.

You brought a tear to my eye...kind words from a kind person.  Thank you.

19. timorous profile image82
    timorousposted 11 years ago

Gosh klidstone, I know exactly what you mean. However, as I wrote in my hub about my German shepherd buddy, Pran..much as the hurt remains, you must let the past go. Just remember the love, and the good times you shared..not the loss. I have lots of pictures of Pran, and yes, it is comforting to see him, but not to the point of crying. Sorry you had to go through this, but you'll be fine and so is your beloved yellow lab, wherever and whatever he is now.

Thank you so much.  I do remember him fondly and with love.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)