Veterans and Gun Control

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (33 posts)
  1. Leaderofmany profile image59
    Leaderofmanyposted 11 years ago

This week alone, I have known of 2 veteran suicides and 2 veteran murders at the hand of another veteran. All had PTSD. Should we put a gun control law in place to curb this from happening, improve support for veterans, or find an alternate solution? I don't have the answer, I just know that too many HEROS are leaving before their time.

1. Zelkiiro profile image87
      Zelkiiroposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No. In this great country, we all have a Constitutional right to go outside and shoot people in the face with massive death machines, and don't you forget it!

1. profile image55
        whoisitposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What country would that be?

2. profile image0
        JaxsonRaineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, because that's totally what everyone is saying...

2. innersmiff profile image66
    innersmiffposted 11 years ago

Stop sending them to war? That's a novel idea: stopping what causes the problem in the first place.

1. profile image55

PTSD is caused by other factors also.

1. Josak profile image60
        Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Generally veterans with PTSD have it due to war experiences.

1. profile image55

My point is that many people suffer from PTSD! It is not only a veteran issue.

2. Josak profile image60
      Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's an excellent idea.

Failing that veteran support is very important, often veterans are wary of psychotherapy due to pride and the way that such treatments are viewed, that image needs to be changed and people who need help with mental problems need to be convinced that it is not weakness to seek that help.

3. Moderndayslave profile image61
    Moderndayslaveposted 11 years ago

We had no problem   putting   a gun in their hand. Maybe we shouldn't treat them like dirt when they get home. Look what they get when they get home. No job, foreclosure,,lack of  mental or health care or divorce papers because wife was hooking up with someone while they were "Defending Their Country" .What a way to say Thank You

4. LiamBean profile image81
    LiamBeanposted 11 years ago

Since this thread is about Veterans (and gun control) I don't know how your statement is germane to the topic at hand.

1. Moderndayslave profile image61
      Moderndayslaveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"This week alone, I have known of 2 veteran suicides and 2 veteran murders at the hand of another veteran. All had PTSD. Should we put a gun control law in place to curb this from happening, improve support for veterans, or find an alternate solution? I don't have the answer, I just know that too many HEROS are leaving before their time." 

Suicide (Latin suicidium, from sui caedere, "to kill oneself"

Post traumatic Stress Disorder: (PTSD) is a mental health problem that can occur after someone goes through a traumatic event like war, assault, or disaster.
      http://rense.com/general95/vet-suicides.html   
      How am I off topic again?
      Like usual don't look at the cause blame the gun

1. Jo_Goldsmith11 profile image60
        Jo_Goldsmith11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

yea well the *gun* can't shoot the bullet out by itself!  What ever happened to the bow and arrows?  Guns should all be banned. Every last one of them!

1. profile image55

Yeah, as usual ignore the problem and blame something else.

2. profile image55

Pardon me.

5. Moderndayslave profile image61
    Moderndayslaveposted 11 years ago

Making things "Illegal" only creates a black market or underground economy. Doesn't Fienstien's bill exempt members of congress? They have a such proven track record of being way more responsible than the rest of the country.

what? are you serious? Fienstien Frankenstien's bill exempts members of congress?  Now, that is some serious Bull ! : (   I tell you what!  voting for Obama is a sin, I don't know if I can ever be forgiven for! sad sad

1. LiamBean profile image81
        LiamBeanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Don't you think you should investigate the claim before embracing it?

yea, well it sounds about right. They turn on the fake tears and use talking points from their speech writers! It sounds like it is true. I don't put anything  past what this President is capable of doing. He has fooled so many. sad

I actually did look and I "didn't" find it. I know it's not common for people here to man up if they are wrong.

Dude! smile

It's not a bad guess though. How many laws does Congress pass that specifically exclude them? More than a few.

I post my opinions, even if they are "Off the beaten track." If I claim something that I cant back up somehow I am willing to retract it. Simple

1. wilderness profile image95
                  wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, but you will never make a true HP forum poster with that kind of attitude. lol

I have other ways. I think that was  the second in two years .

2. Jo_Goldsmith11 profile image60

Apparently the 112th congress didn't do to heck of a lot passing all that much. Now the 113th, is more worried about gay this and gay that. People are freezing! I am sure some are gay. People are hurting and yet they are not left alone by the media or some wanna be film maker who has a desire to make a film so we can watch in horror what happened!  This world is getting worse! sad

2. Jo_Goldsmith11 profile image60

where did you look? I am checking on this myself. The adminstration is so hush hush on killing Americans abroad. Why makes you think that just because he has a nice smile, pretty good singer that he is God or something?

Just "Google" It did mention law enforcement active or retired. I couldn't specifically find ,Members of Congress

okay I am . I don't like google. It messes with my CP. And it sure hasn't helped bring in the revenues with it's algorythms.

6. movingout profile image60
    movingoutposted 11 years ago

Regardless who it is, if they have mental issues, they should not be able to own a gun. Older Americans should also be tested as they do with drivers licenses. If they fail, they turn over their guns to family members who can pass mental evaluations.

7. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 11 years ago

I find it a bit ironic that we, so-called normal people don't want to be without our weapons but we are only too willing to take those weapons from those who may have a mental disability and perhaps living alone amidst a country steeped in violence.

This despite the fact that the shooting in Aurora and the shootings at schools seem to have been perpetrated by young white men with mental health problems.

Gothca!

So tell me, should we go after young white males and ignore the mental health issues part?

1. SpanStar profile image60
        SpanStarposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The sad reality is which we constantly overlook it is not the criminally insane who are the only ones that kill what we call normal rational people do kill whether it's their wife, friend, or their entire family

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)