Hubs are they articles or logs?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (38 posts)
  1. keirnanholland profile image61
    keirnanhollandposted 11 years ago

I was going to treat a hub like a blog on a topic, but I seem to see that hubs are just individual articles or am I totally missing the idea?

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
      Mark Ewbieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hubs are supposed to be long form articles.  An expanded answer to a question in a magazine format - with text, pictures, quizzes, maps and polls.

Quite what sort of magazine that is I have no idea.

But no - they're not blogs.  Blogs is blogs.  HubPages is articles.

That's the general idea.

1. keirnanholland profile image61
        keirnanhollandposted 11 years agoin reply to this

thanks

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

Hubs are meant to be like articles, self-contained and not overly-personal.

1. Kathleen Cochran profile image76
      Kathleen Cochranposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'll take exception with hubs not being overly-personal.  This is the new HP mantra, but not that long ago hubs were whatever you wanted them to be.  Some of us still write that way and it's not a question of being professional or not.  It's a matter of what kind of professional you choose to be.  Welcome all - I say!

1. mattforte profile image89
        mattforteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hubs are still whatever you want them to be.

That doesn't mean that that is what HubPages had in mind when creating the site. Overly personal hubs in general don't get search engine hits, and drag down the overall search engine power of the site - affecting everybody.

Livejournal exists, there is no reason for that stuff to be here. But, nobody is stopping you.

1. Kathleen Cochran profile image76
          Kathleen Cochranposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Never heard of Livejournal so I took a look.  Now I know why I never heard of it.  HubPages is big enough for every writing style and from the figures I've seen, only the owners must be making any serious money.  Looked at your list of hubs too and they are quite a variety of topics.  I'll have to find some time to do some reading..

Livejournal was the very first major "Web 2.0" platform of its kind...making HubPages a direct descendant.

HubPages is big - that doesn't mean every writing style belongs here. It isn't about size, it is about setup. HubPages isn't set up to make money from Poetry.

And the owners of anything are the ones that make serious money, every cashier in America will agree with that I'm sure. They make a percentage of what all of us combined make. That's *why* they designed the website. However, most of the people on HubPages would probably not make a dime without them...and there aren't many websites that offer the mentoring that HubPages offers.

1. PoeticVine profile image67
              PoeticVineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's why I'm especially glad I found HubPages -- the mentoring aspect.  I like the idea that helping others helps everyone.  Whatever a Hub might be for an author, it's an easygoing place with a sense of community that I like very much.  I can't think of a better place for me to get some idea of what I'm doing with writing online.  LiveJournal doesn't have that sense of solidarity and support -- I've been on LJ since 1999. 

As for style -- I've already mentioned that I like to suit my style to my prospective audience and make it informative. I probably should have said "tone".   If a renegade "I" slips in I don't worry too much, but I try for an engaging tone as opposed to relating information in the first person. regardless of the audience.  I'm learning the design elements as I go along.

2. Marisa Wright profile image84
          Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think you're misunderstanding what Psycheskinner (and HubPages) means by overly personal.

Overly personal means a Hub that offers nothing of value to anyone except the writer and his/her immediate family. 

So for instance, if you write about some annoying guy who gave you a hard time at the markets this morning, or how sweet your new grandchild is, that's overly personal.  If you write your life story and you've never done anything more interesting than go to the movies, that's overly personal. 

However if you're writing about an illness you're suffering (which other people also suffer from), or the trials and tribulations of bringing up baby (which other people can learn from), or you've had a fascinating life - all those things aren't overly personal.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. They aren't overly personal for the internet - but they are overly personal to monetize via HubPages...(I can't believe I have to say this, but "with exceptions" of course). Try writing a hub about those types of things while in the Apprenticeship program - they will shoot it down as being "overly personal". The phrase itself is subjective - and when I'm saying it, I'm pretty much regurgitating what HP means when they say it...because I wholly agree with them.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84

I haven't done the apprenticeship program, so I was talking about  "overly personal" in the sense of what would get a Hub unpublished. 

I can see why the Apprenticeship program is more strict - it's because it's focussed on teaching you what to write to get traffic and make money.  Of course "how to" and sales-oriented Hubs are going to be more commercial, so the mentors are going to advise against writing personal experience stuff.  But it doesn't mean it's prohibited here.

Nobody is talking about anything being prohibited. I'm personally talking about what doesn't really have a strong place here. Being allowed (albeit misplaced), being prohibited, and being good for the business; three very different things.

2. profile image0
              summerberrieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

mattforte, I'm not sure where you got the impression personal hubs are not allowed in the Apprentice program. It is encouraged to write what you are passionate about and what you know about. The topic's are then usually personal in nature. Personal hubs filled with information that is useful to other readers is a great way to start here on HP. Here is a hub written by Robin weaving her personal experience with relevant information. http://robin.hubpages.com/hub/Bee-Stings-on-the-Eye
              So I have to agree with Marisa Wright's analysis of what overly personal means on HP. From an APs perspective.

I got the impression because I was in the very first group.

Bee stings in the eye is not a personal hub - weaving personal information into the hub is very different than a hub being personal.

1. profile image0
                  summerberrieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Which is the exact point Marissa was making. Now we all seem to agree.

Exactly

3. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 11 years ago

You also need to get a tweed jacket and do some serious posing.

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/7655279_f248.jpg

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And tweed cap. Leastwise, that's my plan... big_smile

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
        Mark Ewbieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That may be where I have gone wrong.  No cap.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image78
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol

4. profile image0
    Beth37posted 11 years ago

Im not good at writing impersonal, although I do like biographies, so I spose I could write other ppls stories. Things that lack going deeper into the human condition just isn't as interesting to me. I guess I will just write for me, Im sure that's good on some level.

1. MissJamieD profile image56
      MissJamieDposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm on your boat here. I'd rather write about my deep personal feelings and experiences than about how to train a three-legged dog. I mean, If I had a three-legged dog I'd definitely do a piece on that. I am obviously much better versed on my own experiences than conglomerating a bunch of other people's expriences.

My life experiences have made who I am today and if that means i'm an unintelligent, bore to some people, so be it. I'm not here for them, I'm here for me. And to meet others who are here on HP for "me" as well. I suppose we all fit into some kind of clique or group of people based on our experiences, otherwise judgement ensues and to me that is nonsense. For instance, the people that come to the forums just to pick a fight about something they don't believe in. I understand that a clean debate is necessary and entertaining for most, but the outright rudeness and judgemental attitude of others is a waste of my time.

It's still possible to write about deeply personal things and write an article.  I'm sure you've read many articles like that in high street magazines, about how people have risen above adversity or survived adventures etc.

The difference between an article and a blog post is that a blog post is typically shorter and doesn't have to have any purpose or direction. It can be a rant, a musing, and it may not have much to say on its own - it has meaning because it's part of a bigger blog about the same person or on the same subject.  Whereas an article is longer and more polished, and can be read as a self-contained unit (even if you've written other articles on the same topic).

I know a few people who are successful at blogging - or writing articles - because they're sharing how they overcame (or are striving to overcome) a particular challenge - an illness, a sick child, abuse etc - and that drew an audience of people who are in the same situation.  They're not writing about how to train dogs, they're writing about something far more emotional and personal - but it still works. And they're even able to make money at it, because they can do things like advertising books or equipment they've found to be helpful, or sell ebooks on the subject.

1. profile image0
          Beth37posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well hopefully that's what I'm doing.
          I haven't seen those articles that you mentioned though, I seldom ever look at magazines.

1. cat tales 1-10 profile image60
            cat tales 1-10posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I believe my articles are just what you are talking about.  Anyone have a minute to take a look and give some constructive criticism.  I would greatly appreciate.  Please be as honest as possible. I can take it.  Cat

2. MissJamieD profile image56

I'm going to try blogging, thank you;) But I'm sticking with hub pages whether anyone reads my hubs or not. I'll be back to share my blogging adventures soon.

2. keirnanholland profile image61
        keirnanhollandposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Have you listened to the "Bluegrass Preservation Society Podcast?"
        It's this old guy who introduces bluegrass music every week in a podcast, and he has two fictional cats, he details what they are doing with the usual style of bob-newart comedy of carrying on one end of a fictional interaction.
        It's funny as heck.. So maybe you can talk about a fictional three-legged dog?

http://www.bluegrasspreservation.org/images/poster.jpg

MP3's :
        http://www.bpsmusic.com/radio/podcast/

1. MissJamieD profile image56

Lol...I'm not very funny and not great with fiction otherwise I would;) thanks for sharing I do love humor..and I will listen to the podcast.

5. PoeticVine profile image67
    PoeticVineposted 11 years ago

I'll go ahead and agree with the above comments which define Hubs as articles -- my goal in writing a Hub is to provide an informative and well-written piece which is neither formal essay nor blog.  I strive for something in between -- I'll see if I can put it into words that make more than abstract sense, which is kind of difficult for me as I'm sort of new to this kind of thing.

A formal essay is an academic piece designed purely to convey information.  It is completely impersonal -- thou shalt not use the dreaded "I" (so to speak).  It is designed with the following in mind:  Tell the reader what the essay will contain, write the content, summarize with a re-phrasing of the content, and ensure that all paragraph transitions feel smooth and natural.  If there must be a "break" in subject, ensure that it does not interrupt the flow of the work.  This type of composition is a "full-circle", impersonally written source of information.

A blog, or "weblog", is a personal site on which one is free to post rantings, ravings, poetry, essays, &c.  There is no restriction on a blog entry in terms of format or structure.  You can write whatever you like -- personal or impersonal -- and it is your "blog".  You create it, you write it, you display it in whichever fashion you like. 

As I see things, when you're writing for an online audience, you have a triple challenge: 1) providing immediate information to the reader  2) in an accessible composition  3) that is also visually appealing.   This means using keywords to get the reader there in the first place, but once they ARE there, it also means giving them a concisely detailed (potential paradox there?) resource that contains relevant *and* enjoyable content.  You want them to stick around -- you want them to read your work!  People searching online want to interact with the information they find -- they want pictures, links, videos, items of interest, &c.

This is where Hubs come in, and that's why I came here -- to learn how to write for people who demand immediately relevant and enjoyable content.  Content, style, tone, and design all come into the picture.  I aim for a tone that is complementary to my content:  if I'm writing about a writing exercise, it may well end up a bit more "textbook" in tone.  Why?  -- because that's what appeals to people who are looking up writing exercises in the first place! 

I'd say suit your style to your intended audience -- but be sure to make it interactive and just a little bit fun, too!  If your readers can get absorbed in your Hub because they're having a great time reading what you have to say, you'll gain a huge following for sure!

6. NicoleMessenger profile image60
    NicoleMessengerposted 11 years ago

To answer question  about whether "Hubs" are articles or logs, I would have to base my opinion on the fact the can be both depending on the writer. I've noticed that there are some hubbers, whom do it freely express themselves while others do it for a living. I've only been here for almost a week and in that short period that's what I base my opinion on through all the forums, hubs, questions and etc. Have a nice day! smile

7. NMLady profile image73
    NMLadyposted 11 years ago

Yeah,  for awhile I treated them like blogs.  But they are articles.  As for me....I don't blog.  My random thoughts w/o any personal critique have NO PLACE on line  LOL!!  Stuff on-line is FOREVER!  I'd just as soon forget some of my darker nastier moods.

8. Rochelle Frank profile image92
    Rochelle Frankposted 11 years ago

I like your comment, PV, and I think you are on the right track.

1. PoeticVine profile image67
      PoeticVineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Rochelle!  I am still growing accustomed to the difficulty of "changing gears" to appeal to an online audience, but I quite believe that suiting your writing to your readership will draw a larger audience whether or not it is online.  My main struggle of late has been the question of keywords, but as I learn I feel certain I will improve.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)