Question:

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (17 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Beth37posted 11 years ago

I have a hub that formerly had an "H" by it. Now it doesn't. It still has those little ads posted in it, but does the missing "H" mean it's no longer published? And if so, can anyone tell me why they might change its status? Thank you.

http://beth37.hubpages.com/hub/Master-craftsman

1. Sally's Trove profile image77
      Sally's Troveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This forum post may be of some help...

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/108920

The lack of an "H" means that your hub is not "featured", although it is still published. Also, it is no longer "indexed", meaning that Google may not include it in their search results.

This is a rich topic with many HP forum threads. Spend some time looking for them and at them.

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't understand yet, but Ill read that link, thanks a lot. smile

1. worst-of-hp profile image61
          worst-of-hpposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. profile image0

Oh, lovely. Poor Whitney, first drugs, then death now this.

2. profile image0

So if I understand this correctly, this could actually be my own fault. Every time I write a new hub, I tend to highlight it and this particular one has basically sunk to the bottom and if I want it to be "featured" again (what ever that means) I need to highlight it and get it back into circulation? So is it un-viewable at this point?

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

When a Hub stops being Featured, it becomes semi-private - the only people who can see it are your followers and people whom you send a link to. 

If you write a new Hub, it goes through a Quality Assessment Process which decides whether it's good enough to be Featured.  If it doesn't pass the test, it stays semi-private.

If it does pass the test, then it becomes Featured.   It then has a period of time to attract traffic.  If it doesn't get many readers during that time, it will stop being Featured - not because there's anything wrong with it, but just because it's not attracting traffic. 

You can get it Featured again by editing it, but it's not going to stay Featured unless you can get more traffic to it. That means learning how to do some promotion.

That said, you also need to ask yourself, "Will this Hub ever get many readers?  Am I writing on a subject that other people have already done to death?  Could it be that I'm sharing something a stranger wouldn't  care about?"  Because if the answer is "yes" to any of those questions, no amount of improving or promoting will attract more traffic.

One more tip -  catchy titles work on paper, but they don't work on the internet.  Always make sure your title clearly indicates what your Hub is about.

1. profile image0

I know you're right. I tell myself the title is supposed to clearly reflect the subject matter, but it goes against everything natural not to attach a creative title to it. I still have a ton to learn. I don't know anything about promotion yet. I'm kind of one of those ppl that takes things on in pieces... Im gonna get there eventually. Thanks for all the info!

1. Marisa Wright profile image85

In this particular case, I'm sure you can see your title is all wrong.  If you're going to write a Hub about a subject, the subject has to be in the title.  Period. 

The subject matter is a popular topic, but try Googling and look at how many million pages there are on the same topic.  That's probably your main problem.

1. profile image0

I just changed the title to the subject about an hour ago maybe.

2. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 11 years ago

Beth you are not alone in this, just to let you know that it happens to others too. It is a recent introduction on the site. Different people have different approaches to what to do. Go in an edit the page is one option, then see if after any improvements you can make help it to stay featured. If that does not work, some people are moving such articles elsewhere.

I cannot really offer advice as I am in two minds as to what the answer is when it happens to one of my pages. One of mine, has just had the H removed and it had 500 visits last month even though it is not really the right time of year for it. Maybe I will edit it and then if it drops back to not being featured, think again, about where to move it. The problem I am having is that so much has changed since I started writing here. At one time I had over 200 hubs but sometimes it has been easier to remove them than to try to keep up with the constant changes needed.

1. profile image0

Thank you. I changed the title. It should get some hits considering the subject matter. Its weird how much you have to do to keep things afloat here and I havent touched the tip of the ice burg... I still haven't filled out the financial stuff yet. You'd think writing them would be enough. lol

3. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 11 years ago

Good start!   This question might've been better posted in the "Improve Your Hub" section so you'd get feedback on what to do, but here's my two cents' worth:

The Hub is on the minimum length for a Hub at just over 400 words - particularly so, because a good chunk of those words are about you (your singing, your musical tastes, the time you saw Whitney).  Those topics are fine to include - but right now, if you take those bits out, what value is your Hub offering to a reader?  Those personal titbits should be the icing on the cake, not the cake.

It's also under-developed, with only one photo, no videos and no other special capsules.  HubPages is a multimedia site and Hubs do better if you take advantage of that.

I know it's hard to find "legal" photos of celebrities, but you've got over 400,000 Youtube videos to choose from - and if you're going to talk about a singer, then it makes sense to feature some of the songs which best illustrate her voice.  Why not have a poll asking people a question about Whitney?  How about a "Further Reading" links capsule at the end, listing some good sites for Houston fans? 

Once you're signed up for the HP Ads program, it would make sense to have some Amazon ads for Houston CD's and DVD's, too. 

Having said all that, you are up against a lot of competition with that Hub.  There are 143 million results on Google for "Whitney Houston".  That's an awful lot of people who are ahead of you!

1. profile image0

Haha, I didn't even know I was in a competition. That's ok, Ill pick it up in time.
      I appreciate all your advise, thanks. smile

It really depends what you're here for.   If you're happy just to share your work with other Hubbers, then you're not in competition - you just need to be active, read and comment on other people's Hubs, and they'll reciprocate if they like your writing.

However, if you have dreams of gaining a wider readership, then you are, most definitely, in  competition!

Virtually no one, except members, ever comes to HubPages just to browse around.  Most people who visit a Hub don't even know it's a Hub.  They've arrived via the search engines, looking for an answer to a question or a solution to a problem. 

There are millions and millions of pages on the internet.   Ask yourself, "if I want to find something on the internet, what do I do?"    You go to Google or Bing or Yahoo.   All those search engines have to have some way of deciding which pages to include in the results - if they just included any old sites at random, searchers wouldn't be very happy.   So when you write a new Hub or blog post, you're in competition with every other Hub or post on that topic, to get on to page 1 of the search results.  Because if you don't get on page 1, chances are no one will ever see your article or even know it exists.

1. profile image0

Yeah, I see... b/c of marital tax issues, I haven't been able to enter the financial info yet so I don't even have the hope of making the pennies ppl say they are lucky to make.

I had readers on my blog, but they were just from my FB page. I enjoy HPs cause I need the give and take from other humans more than I need anything else I can think of right now. Maybe someday I will write a book? I don't know... Im slowly figuring it all out, I'm not sure what I want yet, but Ive got time.

Thank you again. Hopefully Ill get it all together soon.

I think that's one of the great things about HubPages. I stopped writing new Hubs nearly two years ago, but I'm still here on the forums and reading Hubs because it's such a great community.   

Take consolation from the fact that most people find new Hubs earn very little.   My best performing Hub (which has earned over $400 so far) earned less than $5 in its first six months.  So you're not necessarily missing out on much by not having the financials set up early!

1. profile image0

Oh that is good news. Thanks.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)