Greeting cards: have you stopped sending them in the mail?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (25 posts)
  1. AussieTreeChange profile image70
    AussieTreeChangeposted 11 years ago

More and more people are sending greetings online via email or using electronic cards or social media pages or even mobile phones.  Have you stopped sending cards the old fashioned way?

1. profile image0
      Beth37posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sadly, I have stopped for the most part. I don't even remember the last time I used a stamp.

1. AussieTreeChange profile image70
        AussieTreeChangeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I received a lot less Christmas cards in the mail.  And those people that didn't use snail mail used the internet.  So I guess next Christmas I will do the same.

2. That Grrl profile image72
      That Grrlposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I mailed out more than 20 Xmas cards this year, stamps and all. I still mail cards for birthdays and anniversaries too. I'm starting an ecard site for my own art but I still like paper cards in the mail too.

2. ritsukakunx profile image63
    ritsukakunxposted 11 years ago

I still use stamps... to mail some bills! :p My water company charges $5 for paying online... weird, huh?

But I still like to send cards! I like to get cute ones from Etsy. People always think these are unique and like to get them. I think I only got one card in the mail last Christmas, though. I don't even get birthday cards. My mom started sending ecards. I don't even open them as I feel they aren't personal at all.

1. profile image0
      Beth37posted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol.. I know. My mom stopped sending us all bday cards and gifts cause every other year she takes us all on vacay to a time share somewhere. But you know family dynamics... most years I'd rather get a card. There's nothing sadder than not getting a bday card, even from your own mother. lol

3. Victoria Lynn profile image89
    Victoria Lynnposted 11 years ago

I still send birthday cards to close family and friends. I think they mean a lot more. I also send thank you and sympathy cards. I get some birthday and thank you cards in the mail. Love them! I've never cared for doing Christmas cards, so that part doesn't matter much to me. I think it's a cool thing to send and receive real cards in the mail!

4. grand old lady profile image84
    grand old ladyposted 11 years ago

I like adding cards to gifts but never have sent them by mail. I am trying to get in touch with an old friend in the US, however, and if I can get her addy (have asked help from my sisters to look her up) then I will definitely send her a card. I miss the old days when you wrote letters to each other, but Skype is so much more fun!!!!

5. farmloft profile image68
    farmloftposted 11 years ago

I send Christmas cards and sympathy cards and some birthday cards. I always add a note in my own handwriting.

I treasure the last cards I received from my deceased mother and sister and many friends. Would I feel the same if they'd only left me an on-line message? I don't think so...

6. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 11 years ago

I used to send real Christmas cards by mail every year, right up until last year.

This year I didn't, simply because almost everyone else has stopped sending them to me sad

I had precisely two cards on my bookshelf this Christmas.  Pitiful.

The trouble with ecards is that you look at them once, and then forget them.  They're not they're every morning to remind you of your friends and family, and make you smile.

1. Jean Bakula profile image92
      Jean Bakulaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I still send Christmas cards, because most of the people I exchange cards with are either across the country or someplace far enough that I don't see them, often for years. So we update once a year. That's sort of pathetic too, this year I decided that if I only care to get in touch with someone once a year, it's probably because we went in different directions in more ways than geography. I don't like to hang on to old or dead relationships, though I have to search myself to see if I'm the one who let it get that way. I do like to spend time by myself.  Our immediate family stopped cards, because they are just too expensive, almost $5.00 for pretty ones. So we only exchange if it's a super achievement or something really exciting.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I used to be the same, Jean.  But over the last few years, everyone else is either sending ecards or has stopped altogether.   I continued posting all my cards as usual every year until Christmas 2012.  Then I took stock and realized that in 2011, I received only one card in the mail.  So I gave up!

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sounds familiar.  I didn't have too many cards this year, nor did I send them out... I bought a few cards for my immediate family, but that's it.  I don't send ecards or really care for them.  I would rather someone pick up the phone.

I recycle cards to use for art projects at school. The kids love them. 

I think it's kind of sad that we don't send cards or letters like we used to.  Receiving a hand written letter in the mail is now nostalgic.  I'll probably send out Valentine's cards cuz I feel kind of bad that I didn't send out more Christmas cards.

That would be sad!

7. Zsuzsi profile image61
    Zsuzsiposted 11 years ago

I still do, because I know it's such a great feeling to open the mailbox and see a handwritten card instead of just bills and ads. I also try to include some printed photos next to the letter because it's more personal and always appreciated.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I do a combination:  Some cards I mail, some I hand deliver and some I email.  It has become very expensive to mail cards, even if you buy the 2 for $1 type and it is also time consuming.  To me the main idea is the thought...the fact that I remembered you on a special day and vice versa.  I also think sending cards is wasteful because generallypeople just toss them away after a short time.  I feel the same about sending flowers.

1. Victoria Lynn profile image89
        Victoria Lynnposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I feel that way about flowers but not cards. I save them and put them in a box. From time to time, i read over them. They bring back great memories. I buy the ones that are 2/$1 at dollar stores instead of the 4 and 5 dollar cards. I think they're very affordable and mean so much. I nearly always buy real cards for birthdays for people who live closeby or far away.

8. philli profile image80
    philliposted 11 years ago

I only send them at Christmas. I don't even send the e-cards, otherwise. I guess because the family and friends that I care to send my greetings to, I generally see in person. I don't know why I don't send them more. I guess that once I was old enough to consider them they were already out of vogue and the e-cards were never very popular with my circle of friends and family.

9. KDeus profile image93
    KDeusposted 11 years ago

Call me old fashioned, but I like to send and receive cards in the mail. We get so inundated with emails, that an e-greeting can be easily overlooked by the recipient. Both my parents are still very much card senders and maybe I inherited that from them. I enjoy going to the store and looking through the cards and selecting the right one that fits what message I want to send them. I also enjoy the little handwritten notes that an e-greeting just can't accomplish.

In this day and age, we're always looking for a quick, easy, and cheap way to do everything. People won't print off e-cards, they'll delete them. Special cards received in the mail may be tucked away as a memento and the handwriting on the page allows you to feel just a bit closer to the person who sent it.

As long as a mail carrier delivers mail, I will always mail out cards!

1. Victoria Lynn profile image89
      Victoria Lynnposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wow, KDeus, I couldn't have expressed it better myself. You said it all perfectly as to why cards are so special and important even in today's technological world!

2. AussieTreeChange profile image70
      AussieTreeChangeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I too still love to send the old fashioned way and love picking the right card.  There have been many times I have become very emotional standing in the isle reading cards!  especially if they are for someone close like mum or my sister!  Or I had laughed out loud reading the funny ones!

10. cheesybigmac profile image60
    cheesybigmacposted 11 years ago

I agree, I feel people are out of touch with the way things used to be, not many people are "old fashioned" and the ones that are...are slowly waning, (spelling?) I personally feel its better to talk face to face and send cards or flowers or whatever versus using the internet for those tings, it just dosent have the name impact as it would if it were an actual paper card.

11. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 11 years ago

I still send cards in the mail, more personal. The ritual at Christmas is our way of touching base with family and friends we don't see regularly. Until USPS finally shuts down, I will continue to send greeting cards for all occasions.

12. ct92 profile image67
    ct92posted 11 years ago

I have also stopped, unfortunately.
    But very rarely I post a card in the mail when I am on holiday, but it is not often at all.

13. profile image57
    birthdaywishesquoposted 11 years ago

Cards in the mail are of course more personal. The problem I can find out people's email address more easily than their residential address.

14. profile image0
    khmohsinposted 11 years ago

Unfortunately yes. The trend is little bit changed now. Its easy to send greeting cards in e-mail as compare to the post mail. Majority people are available on the internet, so it is quite easy to wish them by sending greeting cards through e-mail or Facebook wall.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)