Plunging HubScores for No Apparent Reason

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (17 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Pamdoraposted 11 years ago

Hi.  I'm kind of scared to start this thread, but my husband (Ghost32) said it seemed appropriate, so if I'm doing something wrong, blame him!  smile

I just signed up two days ago (I think it was).  My HubScore started out at 30.  I added an avatar photo and a bit of bio, and the score went down.  Then I wrote and published a Hub, and it went down some more.  Then I answered 3 Questions, and again it dropped.

It doesn't seem like it's me, unless Ghost doesn't know what he's doing when he proofreads my text and checks over everything before I hit Publish...which doesn't seem likely.

Okay, so then I tried the Forums, and found out I couldn't post there because I hadn't verified my email address.  So I did that.  Maybe that will help.  But I did find a thread (in the Forums) where people were talking about this--only they didn't have it in the "Technical Problems" group, and nobody from the Team had seen it. 

Please advise. 

Pamela Baker

1. Cardisa profile image88
      Cardisaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Pamela, welcome to Hubpages! As a newbie here in Hubpages your scores will take a while to plateau and then rise. You will find them going down as you are not yet established with the community or getting organic traffic. Don't overdo the activity or you may find it going down even faster. One of the key factors for any hubber is not to do too much. Here are some tips:

Answer only one question.
      Ask only one question.
      Don't do too much in the forums (participate in only one at a time)
      Read a few hubs and leave comments (3 -5)
      Publish a hub every 2 -3 days
      Signing in every day does not guarantee a high hubscore. Sometimes you need to leave you account for a few days.

Take it one day at a time and in a couple of weeks you will find it going back up. Two days is too soon for you to worry about such things.

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi, Pamela - welcome to HubPages!

I took a look at your first hub (or at least the only one listed on your profile right now), and it's possible that your hub has been flagged or given lower scores in the rating process due to its style. It is written like a blog or daily diary entry rather than as an informative hub about facts that people will search for on the Internet.

HubPages guidelines specify that this is not a blogging site, so one way to raise your score would be to revise or delete the hub that talks about why you joined the site.  If you revise it, look for a way to make it something that people will search for in Google, and that would apply to many people, rather than content that only applies to you.  If you decide to delete it (and many of us have deleted hubs as we learned here), don't fret - any writing we do is good practice, and you can save it in a Word file and perhaps publish it on an actual blog site.

The other advice given here is to write, write, write - keep writing hubs, make them informative and factual, and learn to add capsules such as polls, maps, videos, etc. to engage the reader.

Hope you enjoy being on the site - there are many wonderful and supportive writers here. It's a caring and talented community.  I look forward to reading your hubs!

3. Matthew Meyer profile image72
      Matthew Meyerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Pamela.  Both the Hubberscore and HubScore can be a bit confusing sometimes.  As many others have advised, I wouldn't worry about the score too much.

2. profile image54
    mcxniftycallsposted 11 years ago

Pamela, Don't bother and worry about hubber score. It is usual from some days, every new hubber hover around hubber score 0 from some days (a week or two). Your personal score is not so important and don't affect your reputation, hubs, traffic or faith on hubpages.
    Just concentrate on  publishing quality hubs and interacting with hubpages community, you hubber score will automatically start improving after a week.

3. profile image0

mcxniftycalls:  Really?  0 is NORMAL?

O-o-okay.  Thanks! smile
    ---------------------------------------
    Cardisa:  I know you!  That is, I remember Ghost showing me your avatar and reading me some things you wrote.  Been a while, but I remember.  Guess my "medium term" memory must still be okay!

Thanks for the list of advice.  I probably won't remember THAT, but thanks.  I can at least probably remember the "one day at a time" part.

But...me not worry?  Ho ho!  That's like telling Obama not to raise taxes!  They were calling me "Worry Wart" from the time I could walk and talk.  It's not gotten all that much better since, either.

Anyway, thanks for the Welcome. 

Uh...could you tell Ghost32 not to do too much?  You said that's a key factor for ANY hubber, but I know I sure haven't been able to get him to slow down. smile

1. Cardisa profile image88
      Cardisaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Gosh, I hope I didn't embarrass myself with whatever it was you read....I will deny everything you know..big_smile tongue

I don't think your husbad does too much in terms of overactivity on HP. What the system does is record all your activities such as asking and answering questions, your forum activity, reading and commenting. It takes all of these and assesses them to determinie if you are spamming of just plain over anxious and grades you.

4. JoanCA profile image85
    JoanCAposted 11 years ago

I've never seen such a low score. Just keep writing though. It should improve over time.

5. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

I've seen these ultra-low scores repeatedly in the case of people who have just joined. It was not like this before.

Personally, I think this new system is highly unfair. New users should be started somewhere midway on the range and then rise or fall depending on what they do.

The trouble is that under the old system, really low scores were generally associated with spammers, spinners and people who followed thousands of hubbers indiscriminately so as to get followers. The only reason for looking at their profiles was to see if they or their hubs were flaggable.

I wonder how many new hubbers are being ignored by many in the community, who are familiar with the old scoring system and do not realise it has changed.

6. Computer Services profile image61
    Computer Servicesposted 11 years ago

My score dropped from 30 to 0 within three days and I haven't done a single thing that's against any rules so I'm dumbfounded too. I have two published hubs and they're doing fine - it's my personal score that tanked. I hope they have a solution soon!

7. xionnguyen profile image60
    xionnguyenposted 11 years ago

I agree publish at least 5 hubs, tallk in forums, answer some question, and do what you can. I haven't been on hubpages for a week and my score went from 88 to 87. Doesn't make much difference, but just giving you an idea.

1. Computer Services profile image61
      Computer Servicesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the feedback - I am just wondering what makes the score decrease. Odd. Anyway thank you for the empirical data!

8. Howard S. profile image90
    Howard S.posted 11 years ago

The guidelines @Cardisa listed are excellent. Allow me to add that those as "daily" limits except where she specified.

I've been here two years and my wife longer than that. It is not uncommon for a flurry of activity or publishing a new hub to temporarily decrease hubber score. A steady pace seems to fit the algorithm best, which no newbie will have. Newly published hubs lower average hub score, which tugs at the hubber score for a few days.

1. Computer Services profile image61
      Computer Servicesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That makes a lot of sense! Thanks!

9. profile image0

No, Cardisa, no embarrassment.  Everything you wrote was great, at least as I recall.

I really hope they figure out how to fix that.  HP must be losing new people like crazy. I know I'd have quit ALREADY if I didn't have my husband for support.  A lone person coming in brand new with no experienced Hubber having his/her back...this is not good.

10. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 11 years ago

Hi Pam... welcome to wonderland!  smile
    I always wonder why such illogical practices are created and unleashed on creative minds!  sad
    Hi to Fred and enjoy finding the answers to all the things that you will continue to wonder about!  smile

11. Rosie2010 profile image68
    Rosie2010posted 11 years ago

Welcome to Hubpages, Pamdora!  Most hubbers will say don't worry about your hubberscore, but it was one of the reasons I lost motivation writing here on Hubpages.  When some hubbers who had only been here six weeks (six freaking weeks!) had already been bestowed by the hubberscore gods a perfect 100 hubberscore, I was happy for them (really) but at the same time, it annoyed the heck out of me who had been here almost two years at the time, and my hubber score was still in the 80's.  What da!

But it seems that Hubpages had now gone to the extreme the other way around.  So, don't be like me.  Don't worry about your hubberscore.... for now anyway.  Just keep on writing, reading and commenting, and be active in the community. 

I wish you all the best here on Hubpages.  Happy hubbing!  Cheers!  smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)