The Google+ HubPages Authors Community is up and running!

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (82 posts)
  1. NotPC profile image57
    NotPCposted 11 years ago

Patty Inglish is helping moderate the group so you know it's legit! Let me know if you can't find the community and I'll help you out.

The world of online journalism is changing and, in my opinion, Google+ is a very necessary next step! I'm sure many hubbers have already taken the plunge, but if you need help getting your HubPages account aligned with Google+ just let me know and I'll walk you through the process. If you have already set up all your Google applications you will love connecting with other hubbers too! It's a great way to network and get your amazing hubs out for the public to see!

Just a few of the great benefits Google+ offers:
    - Webmaster Tools
    - Authorship (which puts your picture next to your articles in search results)
    - The "+1" button, which promotes your hubs in search results
    - Site-mapping, so your hubs are updated in search results almost instantly instead of months

...and if you don't like me that's totally fine because there are tons of very knowledgeable hubbers that are already members of the community who would love to help you as well!

Here is the link to the community: https://plus.google.com/communities/110 … 1295766925

1. LisaMarie724 profile image68
      LisaMarie724posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Maybe I'm not very technical (lol) but I read a hub on how to set up your google + with hubpages and I just couldn't figure out how to do it.

1. NotPC profile image57
        NotPCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Where are you at in the process?

I have a google+ account with the authorship thing (sorry it's been a long day can barely think straight).  I'm just not sure how to set it up with hubpages.

1. NotPC profile image57

Step 1: Ok so if you go to your google+ profile, in the url there is a really long number. Copy that number and paste it in notepad. Then copy this url (without the quotes) "https://plus.google.com/u/0/108390591327259220101?rel=author" and paste it in the same notepad. Then replace my big long number with your big long number. Then copy the url with your number and paste it in the google+ section of your HubPages profile (My Account > Profile > scroll down to links > paste the url in the google+ box).
            Step 2: Go back to your Google+ profile page and click edit profile (located to the left of your profile image). Then scroll down to where it says "other profiles" and click "other profiles." Then click the hyperlink that says "add custom link." Type in "http://lisamarie724.hubpages.com/" for the url and label it something like "My HubPages Profile." That's all there is to it!

Ok I did this , how do I know if it worked?

1. NotPC profile image57

Go here and enter the url's for your hubs: http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/richsnippets  It might take a few weeks before your picture and author info actually appears that way in real search results. Patience is key smile

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
                  DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We have to enter the individual URLs for all of our hubs????!!! 
                  That will take hours or days! 
                  I already entered just my generic HP profile URL with the Google authorship, and it seems to find my articles ok....

BUT--when I clicked on the 'verify' from G+ to HP, this is what I got:

Email address on the hubpages.com domain has been verified on this profile: No
                  Public contributor-to link from Google+ profile to hubpages.com: No
                  Automatically detected author name on webpage: step guide.

I don't know what that means.  why is my e-mail not verified?  Is it because I changed my e-mail at PayPal, and therefore had to also change it at Hub Pages?  It is now a different e-mail than the one I use to sign in to Google accounts...(except for my g-mail account--that matches for Hub Pages...)

1. NotPC profile image57

No you just have to test out one of your hub's links! I thought the same thing at first too smile

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

I think I succeeded in joining the community....

1. NotPC profile image57

You should post a comment and then we'll know for sure!

3. sallybea profile image94
              sallybeaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This was really helpful NotPC - thank you very much.  I can't wait for you to write a hub on how to use your google + button effectively

2. NotPC profile image57

Deleted

1. NotPC profile image57

If you want to get fancy you can add your referral tracker to the end of the link on your google+ profile like this, "http://lisamarie724.hubpages.com/_ReferralTracker"

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

I have a g-mail account, some blogs on Blogger, and G+  But every time I try to sign in to any one of them, it is always a huge pain, they don't have the same passwords, yet, if I'm already logged into my blogs, and try to open my e-mail, it won't let me type in my password and go--instead it takes me to a page as if I want to sign up for a new g-mail account.  (The blogs are linked to a different e-mail address, but so what?  All the more reason I should just be taken to the sign-in page, not the sign-UP page!)
      I find Google to be a huge PITA, and not all that user-friendly.  Today, for instance, I tried to link my blogs into G+, and same story--wanted me to 'sign up' for an account, with no place to sign IN to an existing one.

I'm lost when trying to use analytics, as I don't really understand all it's trying to tell me...so, I really think Google is more trouble than it's worth, and a lot of effort for little gain.

If you can tell me how to get past these stupid roadblocks it's throwing up at me, I'd be much obliged.

1. NotPC profile image57

I'd love to help you get it all set up! Based on your traffic, I'm assuming you already have adsense set up right?

Yes, AdSense is set up, as is the HP ad program.  Others can see my traffic?  Interesting.  I can barely find it myself. LOL

1. NotPC profile image57

Ha there is probably a way to accurately find how much traffic any website receives, but I was just referring to the 100k accolade on your profile. That would be too much traffic to have not started monetizing yet! If you go to the original post I made I have now included a link to the community. I'm going to spend the next couple hours writing up some detailed guides for everyone to be able to easily set up everything Google.

OIC--**slaps self upside the head**  wink  And yes, I do make a little pocket change here, but I'm still running short of making payout threshold every month.  I usually miss by about $20, and then, of course, the following month, I get that added on, so it's more than the threshold, but not by much--with the month delay that is built in--i.e., January not paying till end of Feb., etc., I usually only get a payment about quarterly.

I will go look at your post and try the link. wink
              Thanks

1. NotPC profile image57

I'm pretty much in the same boat. Recently however, with the Google+ apps and such, I'm starting to pull the most traffic I've ever had. I'm extremely motivated for all of us hubbers to get an edge over other article websites by getting organized on Google+ in addition to the HubPages forums!

2. That Grrl profile image73
        That Grrlposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You need to synchronize your Google accounts. I use the same password for everything Google related and it is smooth sailing. I only have to login once in a blue moon or if I have just cleared my cookies.

UGH!  Every time I turn around, I'm having to re-set Google passwords someplace or other, because I can't get back in with the new password I just wrote down.... Grrr...
          And who is it?? Google itself , I believe, that says "not to use the same passwords you use for your e-mail, bogs, etc...?"  I just saw that warning tonight when I had to change a password YET AGAIN.

Oh, btw--I use Twitterfeed to put the notifications of my new hubs onto twitter and facebook...but G+ wasn't in the available list there, so I guess I have to manually tout my Hubs on G+ ??  Or what is it we are doing there?  Is it for promotion, or just chat/community?

1. NotPC profile image57

Let me do some research on your password situation. You are wise to have different passwords for your different accounts. Sometimes their log in systems can get logged and overwhelmed, as I'm sure you are about now, if you change your password too many times within a certain time period. I also use different passwords for all my accounts, but am currently having no troubles. If I were you I would probably step away from the computer for 12 to 18 hours and tackle the problem with a fresh mind and a fresh system.

I'm not really familiar with twitter feed... That is definitely the type of question someone in our Google+ Community would know the answer to!

3. cmoneyspinner1tf profile image83
      cmoneyspinner1tfposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am very pleased to showcase my HUBs via this community.  It also helps me to find the work of other HUBBERs.  I recommend that HUBBERs also participate in communities that have generic name such "Freelance Writers".  Though HUBPages has a high ranking, everybody doesn't always search for it.  Many people search for "freelance writers".  My plug, for what it's worth. smile

2. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

Mad props to Patty Inglish, MS for setting up the community page! I thought of doing so for HubPages when the feature rolled out, but I didn't get the impression it was meant to be lead by brands themselves, so I'm really glad to see such a splendid HubPages community member heading this up.

Thanks for letting us know about it, NotPC! Mind sharing a link in this thread?

1. NotPC profile image57

Added it to the original post!

1. Simone Smith profile image87
        Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Muchas gracias, NotPC!

3. MissJamieD profile image56
    MissJamieDposted 11 years ago

Awesome! Thank yo so much for sharing:)

4. Kathryn Stratford profile image90
    Kathryn Stratfordposted 11 years ago

Great! I love Google +, so I'll be checking it out!

5. LCDWriter profile image90
    LCDWriterposted 11 years ago

Thanks for the step-by-steps NotPC.  They were really helpful!

1. NotPC profile image57

Absolutely!

6. Paul Maplesden profile image77
    Paul Maplesdenposted 11 years ago

I'd encourage any HP authors to join our Google Plus community; G+ is now the second biggest social network after Facebook with 400 million active users every month.

It's only going to get more important as Google places greater weighting on athuorship and authority and a great way of doing that is building up a G+ presence.

1. That Grrl profile image73
      That Grrlposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Which is a big reason Google started the authorship campaign. I'm joining the HP G+ as soon as my coffee has finished brewing. Nice for you to have started this.

7. Suzie HQ profile image91
    Suzie HQposted 11 years ago

I've just joined, looking forward to this new way forward!

1. Kathryn Stratford profile image90
      Kathryn Stratfordposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Me, too. I'm excited about it!

8. ChitrangadaSharan profile image92
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 11 years ago

Thanks for this helpful discussion. I just joined the community. What is site mapping?

1. NotPC profile image57

It is essentially submitting a list of all of your webpages and how they all connect to Google. It is very efficient in terms of how quickly Google updates your work after you submit it or make changes.

9. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 11 years ago

I just joined also.

10. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 11 years ago

I never jumped on the Facebook bandwagon, due to the fact that I have a very real aversion to putting my real name and picture out there on the Internet, and linking it with all my online activities. Facebook creeps me out, and I would imagine that Google+ has much the same issues.

Does that mean that I and people like me will eventually find that all our hubs become unfeatured?

1. NotPC profile image57

I'm not really sure honestly... I would hope not... Some of the other hubbers have the same apprehension towards the social media websites and have just created a theme profile rather than a profile that is actually them with their picture. I'm not sure if that is against the rules or not but it seems to be working ok for them so far.

2. LCDWriter profile image90
      LCDWriterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Google+ does let you control who sees what on your profile.  You can even test it out to see what it looks like to the public and make sure that nothing that you don't want out there gets accidentally posted.  For me, I just didn't really want my birthday out there so I was able to hide that in the "about" section.

3. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

You would be amazed at how many people on Face Book use aliases--including the names of their pets, and using the pet's photo as an avatar.  You don't have to share anything you don't want to.

1. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, but you're not *supposed* to do that are you? From Facebook's own policy pages:

https://www.facebook.com/help/292517374180078/

"Facebook is a community where people use their real identities. We require everyone to provide their real names, so you always know who you're connecting with."

And here's the same policy from Google+:

http://support.google.com/plus/bin/answ … er=1228271

"Google+ Page and Profile Names

Google+ makes connecting with people on the web more like connecting with people in the real world. Because of this, it’s important to use your common name so that the people you want to connect with can find you. Your common name is the name your friends, family or coworkers usually call you. For example, if your legal name is Charles Jones Jr. but you normally use Chuck Jones or Junior Jones, any of these would be acceptable."

True, BUT...there are far too many people doing it for FB to effectively enforce....  (but you didn't hear that from me...)  roll

4. CMHypno profile image82
      CMHypnoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Stick to your guns Empress, if you don't want to join.

I have a FB and G+ account and share hubs and articles I have really enjoyed when I have the time. The whole idea is that you share stuff that you think is good, your friends will enjoy and will give value - the + says it all really!

I have concerns about this new G+ group in case it turns into another spamfest where over enthusiastic hubbers share hundreds of hubs and every single one of their own. A kind of 'I'll share yours if you'll share mine'.

I'm glad that a good moderator has been appointed, but I remember HP links being banned from other sites because of spamming too many links.

1. SmartAndFun profile image93
        SmartAndFunposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I get that Google Authorship has its advantages, but I like writing under a pseudonym, so I have never bothered. Is this HP Google Authors Community anything different than the HP Facebook and Pinterest accounts where people put up links hoping others read or share, or does it have something more technical to do with Google authorship?

1. NotPC profile image57

Well because everything posted in that community is happening within Google, everything that happens has a direct influence on the search results in Google.

1. SmartAndFun profile image93
            SmartAndFunposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So if members of that Google+ community post links to their hubs on that page, it will actually help those articles rise in the SERPs because Google will see them as more credible sources of information? Or are you just hoping people will click on them, plus one them, share them, etc.? Sorry, I don't follow if it's just a social group or if it help establish Google authorship.

11. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

You are not suppose to use a clearly made up name.  But I consider my pen names a common name because at trade meetings I do go by them, and people do call me by them. They are names I do business under. Grey area maybe.  But people can and do keep pages and G+ profiles under 'doing business as' names. e.g. actor's stage names.

12. Abbyfitz profile image74
    Abbyfitzposted 11 years ago

I've tried several times to set up the Google + account, but it's confusing. I don't know how to use it. Nobody I know uses it. I think it would be great to promote my articles if I could just figure it out. Does anyone have like a Google + for dummies article? lol

1. janshares profile image94
      jansharesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Don't feel bad, Abbyfitz. I set up a Google account a couple months now and still confused. I did figure out how to add people to my circle, though. But the rest about adding articles? I tried to copy the url of one hub and past it to share like I do on fb and linkin but it didn't work. NotPC please help us out!

1. NotPC profile image57

Here is the link to the setting up google hub: http://notpc.hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Se … le-Account

Thank you so much, NotPC. It looks like I'm ready to go straight to the Google Authorship link. I already have a Google+ profile. Your hubs are great. You are creating good karma for yourself. Thanks again.

1. NotPC profile image57

Ha my hubber score is a lost cause and has been this way for years. I just can't seem to get above 70 ever.

It's strange, especially since you are active and have good hubs. I had suggested a few weeks ago in your forum thread about same that I thought it had something to do with your avatar. Did you investigate?

1. NotPC profile image57

I didn't check it out... I'll definitely look into it right now though. Just so I know what I'm looking for, what is wrong with my avatar?

I'm technically clueless but I wonder if the words on the avatar is confusing the algorithm or mechanical turks that rate everything about us, associating "warning" or "politically incorrect" with something inappropriate or negative, therefore giving it a lower score. I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about but it seems possible.

1. NotPC profile image57

I'll give it a try later tonight when I get back to my regular computer. I'll just upload my headshot I use on Google+

Experiment Time!

2. Abbyfitz profile image74
          Abbyfitzposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So when we set it up we don't have any circles of our own? In other words don't follow any of the suggested users they give you when you sign up?

I did follow/add some of the suggested to my circle just to get started.

2. NotPC profile image57

I do lol... I didn't publish it because I thought... well nvm.. give me 10 minutes so I can make it pretty.

13. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 11 years ago

Good on you guys for doing this.... Thank you! 

I will join you at this as soon as I've managed to reorganize my sites... cheers..

14. Paul Maplesden profile image77
    Paul Maplesdenposted 11 years ago

NotPC, don't forget to post any hubs relatingto  Google+ on the weekly topic inspiration thread: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/109696

1. NotPC profile image57

Thanks for the heads up man!

15. Maria Cecilia profile image82
    Maria Ceciliaposted 11 years ago

wow I am getting excited with this, though I am not sure If I already did this with my account... thanks so much for the concern to us hubbers...I really would like to learn more

16. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years ago

Ok--I've had my G+ account for several months, now, going back into late summer or fall of 2012, but I've barely gone there...I was messing around in there tonight, for purposes of joining this community NotPC has set up, and I can't find the page with my circles...

I have several, and they are populated, but I think G did something to the design since I was there last, as I can't find them.  Grr

1. NotPC profile image57

To see your circles just click "find people" on the left side of the screen, and then choose "your circles" which is located right below the search bar. You will get the hang of it in no time!

Ah--ok... It gets a bit weary not to have things right up front, having to hunt through menus and find things to click on...too many hoops...  :: sigh ::

But, I did find it that way, thanks.

17. LCDWriter profile image90
    LCDWriterposted 11 years ago

Look to  the right when you are on your profile page.

negative..there were only chat things there..no circles, including on drop-down menus...

1. LCDWriter profile image90
        LCDWriterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Did you click "Profile" on the left side bar first?  Apparently that's different from Home view.  I only know this because I messed around all afternoon trying to understand how to use it! :-)

Yes, I was on  my profile page.  I am getting the sense that "The Big G" shows different designs to different users!  sad

18. Abbyfitz profile image74
    Abbyfitzposted 11 years ago

Okay. I've done something. I don't know if it's right, but I've done something lol
    I think I have connected my hubpages to Google. I don't know because when I use the link testy thingy it says the service I requested is unavailable. Help!!!

19. faythef profile image68
    faythefposted 11 years ago

Could you come to my house right after you leave Beth37's house..I am all signed up..but now that I am what do I do with it and why?..scratching my head...

1. profile image0
      Beth37posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh you actually wanted computer help.

1. faythef profile image68
        faythefposted 11 years agoin reply to this

LOL..No I just need to understand how Google+ works...

I should clarify...it is working....but I don't understand how we connect or is it just there for possible viewers to share...

20. Sue Adams profile image95
    Sue Adamsposted 10 years ago

This is an 11months old thread. Most people here now know how to get authorship and the Google Hubbers Community where we can share hubs among ourselves (for what that's worth). Our concern here today is a petition to re-instate the Google Plus Button on our hubs in order that all our readers get a chance to Plus our hubs. Please join this new Forum thread to help make it happen:
    http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/119916#post2539292

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)