I don't get it "/

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (57 posts)
  1. Fresh Ploon profile image80
    Fresh Ploonposted 11 years ago

So I was wondering, why is it that, well established hubbers write articles that are super short, yet, they get tonnes of comments and praises and I write really detailed hubs and I'm lucky to get just a couple of comments. Obviously it's because they've got more hubs and have being writing longer, but if we're comparing the detail and usefulness of hubs, then the very few hubs I have written, I think, are really good.

I don't get it - any feedback would be appreciated, thanks guys smile

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Two things.  Few organic (outside HP) leave comments and hubbers spotting a long, detailed hub that they haven't searched for (and are therefore interested in) are unlikely to read it so won't leave comments.

Like you I write long (1500+ words) hubs with as much detail and explanation as I can.  They're just not on "fun" or "interesting" subjects to most hubbers and don't get many views from them.  Out of 1,000 views about 40 are from hubpages and that isn't many visitors to get nice comments from, so I don't see many comments.

2. MarieAlana1 profile image69
      MarieAlana1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

In order to get in the article in Google, the recommended amount of words is 500-800 words an article. This lets the article not be so complicated that no one can find it. I think this is the prime reason why a lot of the established hubbers write articles at this length. A lot of these articles are of quality without going over the 800 word limit.

3. Rock_nj profile image90
      Rock_njposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is a bit of a popularity contest at HubPages, and there are cliques of followers and friends that often comment on each other's Hubs. 

I understand what you are saying.  I wrote a very detailed Hub about Living Off The Grid By Generating Your Own Electricity, which included all the currently known practical options, pricing estimates, and positives and drawbacks.  I only received a couple of comments.  A few weeks later, another Hubber wrote a Hub about the same topic, which was much briefer, did not include all of the options, and did not have any details such as pricing, yet the Hub received tons of comments and praise.  So it goes in life and at HubPages.  Some people just have the rep or the X factor to get a big buzz going about what they write, whether it is excellent writing or not.  But, that's also the way HubPages wants it.  They are looking for writing that brings in traffic, not necessarily quality pieces of writing.

2. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

For a start they probably have more followers.

Fresh Ploonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, but that doesn't mean their articles any good? "/

1. psycheskinner profile image82
        psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What has that got to do with getting comments?  This is the real world. If you want comments, do what it takes to get comments.  They are not a neutral prize, they reflect engagement and popularity.

3. Len Cannon profile image90
    Len Cannonposted 11 years ago

They are allergic to "/

You make no sense

4. Simone Smith profile image86
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

Having Followers makes a big difference- it's the difference between Hubbers finding your work by chance on the site and Hubbers seeing your work in the Feed and in email updates.

Getting more Followers is by no means impossible- one of the most effective ways of doing so is to:
    1. Regularly publish more high quality Hubs
    2. Leave insightful and meaningful comments on others' Hubs

Hope that helps! big_smile

Thanks Simone, much appreciated!

5. tiffanyz profile image61
    tiffanyzposted 11 years ago

Why is it necessary to be accepted by google adsense brfore you can be an EBay associate or be part of the hubpages ad program?

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
      mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think it is just about keeping standards of writing high without HP having to check out writers properly for themselves. Basically if you pass the Adsense requirements you are a fairly 'safe bet' for HP, and all the checking process has been completed by Google.

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
        Randy Godwinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If this is the case then why does HP not trust its established veteran writers to be instantly featured.  I asked this in the other thread but apparently TPTB haven't noticed it.<~(sarcasm)

I'm guess, but probably because it would be used against them. 

A scammer comes around, waits for the 6 months or so, writes a few hubs and, as soon as he's give the freedom promptly begins producing trash that no one looks at.

Who mentioned 6 months?  Some of us who aren't instantly featured have been here for 3 to 5 years now.

Yes, and some of us that have been here for 3 to 5 years have a subdomain chock full of junk.  This whole thing just isn't as simple as you make it sound, Randy. 

Given that low traffic hubs need to have a no-index tag (and I'm not sure I agree, but that seems to be the opinion of TPTB) I just see more and more difficulties in applying it.  It most definitely isn't a simple concept to implement.

How do you know this, Wilderness?  You seem to be there every time a question is asked and most of the time you seem to be guessing.  Are you guessing?  Do you have any real facts to throw around, and if you are correct, then why doesn't one of the crew come out here and simply say the same thing?  Seriously!

You lost me a little there - if you are referring to the difficulty of implementation both Paul and Derek have plainly said the same thing and I've just paraphrased them.

But here, Randy, how about this.  It should be in line with their overall plan and shouldn't be too expensive to do as much of it is already there.  How about if HP looks at the average traffic per hub for anyone with >50 hubs and if it's over a given amount then give them a "bye" on the pending process.  Eventually, when time permits in several months (from Paul again), they will look at every individual hub, but until then give that "bye" to anyone proven to produce a goodly number of hubs that get the traffic to not go pending.

Would you support that?  It should be doable for a reasonable cost, it will stop the spammers (they have to write 50 hubs) and long time hubbers (that have proven they don't need the pending according to already established guidelines) don't go pending.

But if they always feature a writers hub,  I mean every single time, what do they prevent by even having them go through a pending stage where the--in my opinion--detrimental no-index tag is applied?  They have a record of who's hubs aren't featured after the pending stage.  And they have a group now who don't have to go through this.

2. MelissaBarrett profile image59
                  MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/7714299_f248.jpg

1. Kathryn Stratford profile image89
                    Kathryn Stratfordposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ok, that's just a really cute response!

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
          mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years agoin reply to this

To be honest I just don't know Randy. I can only guess that my own term 'fairly safe bet' is exactly that, not definitely a safe bet, but safer than someone with no checks whatsoever having been made. I for one do not bypass pending sad and that is largely because in the early days I did post humorous hubs that were double entendre / innuendo based and that ultimately got unpublished as 'Adult Content' (lol). A handful of other hubs had issues with HP for other reasons, such as my one on self defense gadgets for women which was considered as promoting weapons. I think any chance of my ever being able to bypass pending now have long since been destroyed sad

2. tiffanyz profile image61
        tiffanyzposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I understand what you mean Misty, but it is very frustrating. I got rejected by Adsense and the explanation was: not meeting their standards, however they don't tell you what these standards are? I give up with AdSense, Thank God, I am writing hubs because I really enjoy it and not because of the earning aspect.  If that were the case I would be stressed all the time. I've joined two weeks ago and have been focusing on writing.  I am going to start reading other hubs I am interested and particpate more in the Hub community.

2. wilderness profile image95

It's because adsense is an integral part of the HPads program, as is the eBay thing.  We don't see it from our end, but HP does and has to have our adsense connection to make HPads work for us.  And then the only way to get the eBay is to have the HPads and you're back to needing adsense.

1. tiffanyz profile image61

I see, so in other words you can be on hubpages for years without ever getting accepted by Adsense

You could be in hubpages forever and never get adsense.  Adsense has it's own rules.

Thank you for your honest answer. I applied and got accepted by amazon,  and I thought it was a given that  if you were accepted by one, the others would follow suit. Can you earn $ just by being on Amazon.

Absolutely, although I find it more difficult and it requires a different style of writing.

Really? that is very interesting.  Are there examples of these writing styles in the learning center?

No.  Basically it amounts to writing an advertisement or other type of hub about a particular product.  A review, maybe, or instructions on usage.

A hub on traveling to Florida with an Amazon capsule selling suitcases won't sell anything; a hub on choosing the right suitcase for airline flight might.

Discuss the item in the Amazon capsule, then, and make the hub about that item. 

I don't like writing those, they're boring and no fun to write but they can sell.

6. cre8ivOne profile image69
    cre8ivOneposted 11 years ago

Hi Fresh Ploon, I understand your frustration.  Here are some tips I can give you from my experiences, and certainly understand that I too, do not always get several comments on my hubs either.  Firstly, choose topics that you think will be appealing to a mass audience.  If you choose a topic that is not interesting, people won't read it.  next, make sure you do your research and have a clear message and order to your hub.  Next tip and i find this pretty important, make sure you do a spell check and catch any errors you might have in your articles.  Sometimes, and I am guilty of this too, if I see hubs with spelling errors, I may not continue to read it.  Start networking and reading other peoples hubs and commenting on them.  Begin to follow people and this will help you grow your audience.  Participate in the ad programs, ask questions, answer questions and try to be a key part of the Hub Pages community.  Before you know it, you will have a nice following!  But, remember this takes work and time.  Good luck!

Very goo advice, thanks

7. torrilynn profile image66
    torrilynnposted 11 years ago

i feel that well established authors are receiving more traffic and comments mainly because they either have a large audience of people that are following them, they have some high quality hubs, or because people are interested in the hubs they post no matter how long or short they are. the best thing for you to do would be to comment on others hubs, leave behind fan mail, answer and ask questions and post hubs that interest you and you feel would also interest others. also, around the holiday season the best thing to do would be talk about that holiday if you wanted to about two or three months in advance so that the hub will receive alot of views as the holiday season comes by and passes.

Thanks guys much appreciated, great advice Cre8ivOne

1. cre8ivOne profile image69
        cre8ivOneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Glad I could help smile

8. dailytop10 profile image85
    dailytop10posted 11 years ago

Hi Flesh, I noticed that most of your hubs are about body building which is a topic only a few hubbers are interested about. Don't worry too much about having no comments and feedback. What matters most are views outside the site so continue on creating quality content. Good luck!

Thanks dailytop10, Yes most of them are about body building but I do intend to write articles about other topics too - I have many interests and though the body building hubs would be a good start for me to get underway since I know the topic.
      Thanks again!

9. profile image0
    Beth37posted 11 years ago

haha, I had just read a lousy hub (imo), maybe 5 sentences, and it had like a dozen or two glowing comments and I thought, what the heck?

10. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 11 years ago

The writers do not write on one site to begin with. They also have friends, family, and fellow writers from other sites that follow each other, promote each other, etc.

1. profile image0
      Beth37posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I cant post on FB, I don't want my mom or kids to see my page. lol

You could start a facebook fan page specifically for your writing activities.

1. profile image0

It's funny, my writing is so personal. I don't mind absolute strangers reading it, but I wouldn't really want ppl I know to read it. That seems kind of backwards. I spose I could start a writing page on FB and invite ppl with a link to my hubs and blog, but it seems a bit cheeky. Im worried I might annoy ppl.

Why?  I not only post hubs on my timeline but on a FB page I started on my niche topic as well.

1. profile image0

My mom and kids don't really need/want to know about my sexual side. lol
              Let alone the whole conundrum Im facing with divorce. Ill let them know when Ive figured it out.

I'd have to go with you there, too! 

A partial solution for me was to set my close friends and family up into groups and then not share all my hubs with them.  For a while I was posting several hubs per day and it became obnoxious.

Mostly, though, I now just put a few per month on my person page and save the rest for that niche page designed for that purpose.

1. profile image0

I might do that.

that's a good idea, I might try the FB thing, I will keep my hub profile and personal profile totally separate.

1. profile image0

It makes you start to wonder whats wrong with the ppl you actually invite to see your hp. lol

that is hysterical Beth, I totally understand the FB issue.

1. profile image0

Some things are personal, right?!

Absolutely--it's easier when people you don't know read your writing but Family and Friends, No Way. You should create a totally separate profile on FB and Twitter which is what I will be doing.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)