Are there any horse folk here?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (17 posts)
  1. DonnaCSmith profile image82
    DonnaCSmithposted 15 years ago

I am a new hubber, still trying to srt everything out in my old brain. I have been involved with horses for thirty-plus years. Now I have aged out of a lot of my activities. I still teach a few lessons and have an old Arabian mare, Miramar, who is trying to out-live me. We're going to celebrate her 34th birthday Friday. I will celebrate my 62 in Oct.

I also have an old (17) jack Russell Terrier named Barnie.

2. profile image49
    hamsterqueenposted 15 years ago

We have a couple of mares.  1  QH* Quarter Horse Sorrel, 1 Standardbred Bay * she has a yearling filly.  That is a tri color paint, Homogousa(SP).  Then we have a rescue 2 1/2 yr old TWH* Tennessee Walker Horse, who is more the size of a pony due to be starved before we finally got her.  My sister just brought her 3 horses over to our place cause they were starving on her land.   She has a lovely Palimono Mare 3 yrs old.  A dapple gray Mare not sure of her age, but for sure over 8 by the teeth.  Then a handsome and still under weight Shire/Belgain black and white Paint Draft gelding 21 yrs.

3. kerryg profile image83
    kerrygposted 15 years ago

I did dressage in my teens and would like to get back to it. Never had a horse of my own, but was lucky enough to be asked to serve as a sort of exercise rider for a gorgeous Quarter horse/thoroughbred cross whose owner was kind of intimidated by him. (He was a total sweetie, but huge, and she was really short and a bit nervous.) Got to help reschool him a bit too. He was originally a show jumper who got his tail eaten off by another horse, and his first owner sold him rather than wait for it to grow back. My insructor started improving his dressage training so he could do better at 3-day, but he'd been allowed to favor his right lead so strongly we had a heck of a time teaching him to use his left. Fun though, if a bit hard hard on my rear end! For awhile he would try to go left lead in front and right lead behind, and that could jar the teeth off a mule!

4. darkside profile image64
    darksideposted 15 years ago

I've never been a horse person. Having grown up in a somewhat urban environment.

But we live out in the country now, and across the road from a heavy horse stud. The neighbour breeds Clydesdales and Shires.

He also offers agistment for other horse owners, and he's got an old Arabian over there too. She's 35!

5. DonnaCSmith profile image82

I knew you all would show up eventually.

I have a 34 yr old Arab mare and lease a 24 yr old. But I am retiring from "active" barn management and they will soon be moving to a young friend's barn.

I wrote a book, The Book of Draft Horses, and met some awesome horses while I was photographing and interviewing for the book. The Shires were maybe the largest of any I met, big, black and beautiful. But, I think Percherons are my favorite. They have a refinement (from some Arabian roots) that I admire.

Hamsterqueen, sound like you have your hands full!

And Kerry, their impatience was your gain!

Glad to meet you all.

6. wychic profile image84
    wychicposted 15 years ago

I don't know how many people would still consider me a "horse person", but I still do. My old Mustang died five years ago and I've moved and so haven't been on a horse since and currently don't have the option to buy another one but I still have the love of horses and quite a few years spent in the saddle in barrel-racing, western pleasure, cross-country and more. I'd really like to learn some other disciplines when I find a way to be around horses again smile

7. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 15 years ago

I always liked horses but never had one or rode one. Might be something I want to do someday.

8. DonnaCSmith profile image82

Wychic, of course you are still a horse person. Once a horse person always a horse person. It  gets in your blood. My aunt told me I was born into it. All my dad's family loved horses. I had an uncle who raced trotters.

So, be warned Thranax, you might get hooked with just one ride.

1. thranax profile image72
      thranaxposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Lol no worries smile

9. profile image54
    Still Smilingposted 15 years ago

Definatly a horse person here!
    i live on 8 acres in Sarasota FL and teach Hunter / Jumper riding lessons and ride professionally myself!  We have 19 horses and ponies on the property, 1 extremely overwieght black lab, 2 lazy barn cats that do not catch rats, LARGE QUANTITIES of rats! Eswwwww! and several other miscellaneous creatures.  Always fun to meet other horsey folks. Have a stellar day!

10. DonnaCSmith profile image82

Glad to meet you! I look forward to reading your hubs!

11. cowgirljess profile image60
    cowgirljessposted 15 years ago

I love horses, I had a few growing up, but currently only have one Arabian/Quarter Horse which is kept at my moms with her Arabain. A few years ago I was a very active rider, but not as much these days.  I am still however, very into horses.

1. profile image52
      wambiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Jess,

I enjoyed your blurb on HubPages. I too like horses and don't ride them very often. I like the walkers that won't take me for a fast ride. How about you?
      Keep your eyes on God's Creatures Great and Small, because I'm hoping to have some horse-related content at some point in the future. Thanks.

Bill

12. patnamohan profile image57
    patnamohanposted 15 years ago

I love horses

13. Born Again 05 profile image78
    Born Again 05posted 14 years ago

I still have horses. You're right...once a horse person, always a horse person. I use to compete weekly in the adult jumper division. In 1995, I won the NAL league championship class at Harrisburg (PA National H.S.). I have three younger horses that as of yet are not broke. Guess I better get busy!

14. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 14 years ago

I would speak up but I am a little horse.
    /S/
    Tony the Pony

15. Beth100 profile image70
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

I grew up riding western and classic.  Have always ridden and jumped. I love it!  I just sold my 6 horses recently (4 Morgans, 1 Canadian, 1 Canadian/Morgan).  Miss them terribly!!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)