Time to Refocus on your Sub-Domains

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (14 posts)
  1. topclass profile image59
    topclassposted 11 years ago

A timely reminder about Panda

"One other specific piece of guidance we've offered is that low-quality content on some parts of a website can impact the whole site’s rankings, and thus removing low quality pages, merging or improving the content of individual shallow pages into more useful pages, or moving low quality pages to a different domain could eventually help the rankings of your higher-quality content." Google

This applies to HP as a whole AND to individual subdomains.
    HP is trying to address the issue at the level of the entire site, and in a sense it has little concern about the subs which are the hubber's responsibility. My understanding is that HP wants to move towards the Squidoo model with only 500K pages indexed (about half the number currently published). It also appears that HP has a quota of traffic of around 1.1M page views per day. It wants the pages indexed to have good quality and to get traffic. Subs with good quality content that can keep their pages indexed and fresh will do well (get a bigger share of the HP cake).  Subs with better overall ranking will do well.

Time to focus on your Sub if you have a reasonable number of pages. Freshness matters, quality matters, getting rid of low quality pages matters at the level of the Sub, as does the retention of quality pages that do not currently get traffic. Look after your sub!!! first and foremost.

HP works at the level of the entire site and in a sense ignores the subs. Suggesting that HP do this, do that, change this etc., clearly doesn't work because they don't listen and they do what THEY want from THEIR perspective. So my suggestion is that hubbers work on their subs to get a bigger share of the cake, and to remain part of the cake, as HP halves the number of indexed pages. This is a win win - improved traffic from Google and a bigger share of the HP cake so traffic will improve going forward.
    OVER and OUT

1. Simone Smith profile image88
      Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm all for everyone focusing on improving the overall quality of their subdomains! big_smile

That said... regarding us not listening to what Hubbers say... ouch.

So... nothing we do to address the community's requests and needs means anything? I shouldn't be getting up at 5:00am just to make sure I can answer Hubbers' Forum posts and make notes on their feedback and suggestions?  We should not be having meetings in which we go over community feedback and discuss means by which we can more properly address it?

If you don't think we're listening... just... ouch.

topclassposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My point is that the perspective and focus is different! Hubbers can make improvements to their subs.

That's fair enough. Just so long as you know we care. A lot. smile

topclassposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Nothing personal was ever intended. I greatly appreciate all the feedback provided by you and others at HP.

2. K9keystrokes profile image84
        K9keystrokesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I find the HubPages Team to be working hard at keeping the field of writers updated on changes, or newly implemented criteria. In my almost three years hanging out here, I have watched as the team tirelessly read, reviewed, and then responded to the thousands of author input and suggestions. And, just to be clear, Simone (and many other Team HubPages staff) has helped me personally with a number of things ranging from the most mundane to the more technically difficult aspects of online self-publishing.
        I feel as though you drastically underestimate the goals and drive of this team. The changes brought to the site (suggested by the community) have been many. Some for the better, and some,...well, at least they tried. I have met the HubPages team face to face and I can tell you there are few companies around that carry the spark of integrity and devotion for a single entity as does this team.
        It really bothers me when someone whom you know is trying to keep things great for all, ends up sharing the word, "ouch." Try taking a  look at the fantastic things going on around here, you may find your perception less than accurate. I know for a fact HP is listening more than any of us imagine!

Thanks to Simone, Robin, and Team HubPages for working hard towards our future success on HP.  cool

That means a lot to me (and us) K9keystrokes!! Thank you!!!

1. K9keystrokes profile image84

I only speak the truth, ma'am. cool

2. ktrapp profile image93
      ktrappposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I honestly don't get whatever would make you think that HubPages has "little concern" or "in a sense ignores" sub-domains. I believe HubPages is concerned about all content on their website, be it on sub-domains, topic pages, or wherever. Whether or not you agree with the featured/non-featured status, it's obvious the intent is to help sub-domains and therefore, HubPages overall. Actually, it seems to me that the featured/non-featured status is a response to what Google said about quality in the quote you listed.

And if they ignored sub-domains, as you suggest, why would they continually give us new tools to use to create the best Hubs possible? Video Hubs; and recipe and ratings capsules, all new in the last year, come to mind as ways in which HubPages helps us have the ability to have our Hubs show in a variety of types of search queries, which can only help our sub-domains.

Finally, while maybe you don't agree with the decisions that HubPages makes, ultimately I would much rather them make the decisions for their business since they are the ones with all the data and knowledge upon which to base decisions. But I have to say, I find the staff to be very responsive to the individual questions, requests, and complaints from individual Hubbers, often tirelessly responding to the same questions over and over. On multiple occasions I have read where a staff member has written that he/she would bring up something in one of their community meetings. If that's not listening, then I don't know what is.

I believe your point about individuals improving the quality of their sub-domains is very valid; I'm glad HubPages provides us with many tools to help in that effort.

1. K9keystrokes profile image84

+1 big_smile Niiice, ktrapp!

2. Relationshipc profile image87
        Relationshipcposted 11 years agoin reply to this

+1 Couldn't have said it better myself. I totally agree.

3. Simone Smith profile image88

Well-put, ktrapp. Topclass does make a very valid point, though I appreciate your acknowledgement of our work (and your patience with us!). big_smile

2. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

I don't think that is a personal criticism, just an expression of frustration that things like QAP remain vague and constantly changing. So we don't know what we are meant to be doing.

It's a bit like dealing with my immigration attorney.  She always seems to have a good plan and be doing the best she can, but when she neglects to keep me updated about these things it is very stressful for me.

I totally get that- we're all a bit delicate because of everything we've been through with Panda and rolling out a new paradigm on the site with the Quality Assessment Process. Great comparison, BTW!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)