There used to be a rule about how long service could be down

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 11 years ago

It was 30 seconds back in o2. Hubpages is liable over this 7+ hour stint.

Yes your income and exposure is effected and yes that is sub - industry standards.  It also suggests a revenue siphon. Of do you trust corporate America. HP probably is right now claiming non income but that is only to us.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image57
      MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Neither your income or viability is affected by your stats not updating. Since you aren't losing any money I'm not sure how HP could be liable for anything. HP is hardly "corporate America" Just because HP stats are down doesn't mean that Google isn't sending traffic or serving ads... or recording clicks.  I'm not sure how they could do a revenue siphon since I can see my traffic right there on google analytics.

And if there are industry standards on open-platform publishing sites, I'd sure as hell like to see them.

Have you considered maybe meditation or yoga? The calming effects are wonderful.

Ericdierkerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Lady, you are wrong and have no proof to back your claim.

What is your reason for believing the analytic s -- Stone cold trust?

Do not claim I need proof, you show me yours other than blind faith.

Show me one independent tracking source that is not entwined and profit integrated. The Fox is watching the hen house.

Transparency is not anywhere - what game that is of corporate secrets.

Watch, we well bring them down!

Wow.

Maybe green tea...? A nice massage...?  ect...

I see you got that 1000 accolade...  I'm sure Google and HP are working hard to screw you out of the 30 cents or so you make a day.

That sucks... especially with the price of tin foil.

Melissa, I hope you don't think if I ever made any money here I would go on such a rant and bite the hand that feeds me, that would be too foolish.

HP is a great place for people like me. But that does not mean they are benevolent. I am speaking only to the notion of our trust in them regarding analytic s and accounting.
            How do you trust a system to be accurate when it is down so often. Logic dictates that the failure of their system is just that; systemic.

2. aa lite profile image85
        aa liteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

+1 It would have to be yoga.  For mediation both parties have to agree to use it, and I can't quite see HP wanting to participate, after all they are part of "corporate America"

Seriously I find the reporting outages annoying.  But I've never noticed an effect on my earnings.  Google adsense does its own impression and click counting, and I suspect other advertisers do too.

Why would analytics lie to us? They don't pay us in any way, they have no interest in lying.

LOL... it was late and I was killing zombies on another screen.

2. profile image0
          Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Since when is a company that employs fewer than 30 people a part of 'corporate America?'

hmm

aa, I think they qualify as a small business....LOL

1. aa lite profile image85
            aa liteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I was being sarcastic Motown2Chitown (not sure from your post whether you got that or not).  "Corporate America" was a phrase used in the OP.

3. Ericdierker profile image45

Let us be clear here. Zombies are a far more important matter.  Yoga, mediation and meditation should all be part of a healthy diet.
          Certainly I have never noticed a fluctuation in earnings 0-0 does not change anything.
          But I do not think anyone runs forensic audits on Google.
          Certainly HP is a small business -- who else gets to take the weekend off?

4. brianrock profile image83
          brianrockposted 11 years agoin reply to this

While I don't harbor any doubts about the integrity of HubPages' statistics, nor do I think they're trying to weasel us out of money...

Technically speaking, it would be very easy for them to alter the Analytics reports and therefore artificially dampen our earnings. Analytics shows up because HubPages includes a snippet of code on your page. If that snippet isn't there, then Google has no way to track and record the visit.

Now let's say HubPages wanted to reduce your views by 20%. Before they serve the page, the computer makes a quick random calculation. 20% of the time, it removes the Google Analytics snippet, 80% of the time it includes it. That same 20% of the time, they could then discount those views in their own reports and serve up their own Google AdSense ID.

Presto! Fewer views and lower earnings.

If they want to cheat us, then they can and there's very little that you can do about it. The only way to be sure you're not getting cheated is to run your own website, from your own web server, and track your own statistics.

Otherwise, you'll just have to have some faith.

1. Len Cannon profile image86
            Len Cannonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's true insomuch as that it is possible to remove our analytics code if they wanted to, but it is also exceedingly unlikely and unwise. It would be pretty simple to just code a browser plugin that would let you see (and track) which Analytics codes were plugged in (or if there was one to begin with).  With something that easy to fact check, it'd be virtual insanity to try and pull.

I'm not some big believer in HubPages altruism. They're in it for the money, like a lot of us. I am just confident that they're smart enough not to pull some easily provable scheme. If they had, they'd be called out on it immediately. People are hawks when it comes to their own money.

As for Amazon and eBay, those are handed individually  by the two companies. I do wonder about eBay, though. My earnings reports for that have been odd and I wish I had a better insight into how our epc was calculated as it has had a drastic (negative) change from my own account once we were forced to use it through HubPages.

In general I think HP would better serve their customers if they were very explicit about how HP ads had their earnings calculated.

edit: lol, anyways, my cpm was the highest it's been in months today. Just thought that was funny.

1. brianrock profile image83
              brianrockposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree that it would be extremely unwise and unlikely for a company like HubPages to pull a scheme like that.

Again, I wasn't suggesting that they do that, just pointing out that there are plenty of technical ways to defraud us if someone wanted to since someone asked why we should question the integrity of the Analytics reports.

But back to the original topic, if you're worried about companies capriciously dampening your earnings that anger is much better directed at Google.

It has a virtual monopoly on search engine traffic, and it can (and does) change its algorithm and keep it relatively secret. Plenty of people have lost a lot of money because their sites were penalized. You can argue about whether those people are spammers or not, but it also hurt sites like HubPages.

Not to mention Google's complete control over AdSense earnings. A few big name bloggers have had their accounts completely shut down in the past year, and we're all subject to having earnings erased because of "fraudulent clicks."

Are they really fraudulent? Who knows. It doesn't matter, because at the end of the day we can't do anything about it except shrug our shoulders and roll with the punches. We as content producers are at the mercy of search engines and ad networks whether we like it or not.

2. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 11 years ago

Are you suggesting we shouldn't trust the internet, Eric?  yikes

No, the internet is to be trusted, the manipulators not. Have you ever seen an independent audit of Google payments?

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
        Randy Godwinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No! I'm suggesting the internet isn't to be trusted. lol

3. profile image0
    Ghaelachposted 11 years ago

I 'm not sure who's screwing who. If, as you say Google is screwing us for 30 cents, that 30 cents x 100 million times or so every day. Now that's not a bad profit each day, but then it's only 30 cents.

1. ajwrites57 profile image85
      ajwrites57posted 11 years agoin reply to this

If I'm getting screwed, how's come it don't feel good?

4. Len Cannon profile image86
    Len Cannonposted 11 years ago

If you're worried about HP using the time period where their internal stat tracker is down to screw you over, take a moment and monitor your Google Analytics stats and compare them to the number of ad impressions you receive. You should have about 60% of those on your payment dash, minus slide views.

also lol at this in light of the op "Hub Pages is an amazing internet tool for learning all kinds of things. I am happy that they let me contribute. There are too few places where deep thought can be shared with others. The constraints placed on hubbers are great boundaries that keep the tone civil and the discussion focused. Welcome to my contribution "

HP does not screw anyone over intentionally to my knowledge. And this is a marvelous place for writers. (please note this seriously negative question was not censored --- that is really cool)
      But HP is in business as you are. If one part of their system is this seriously flawed, Yikes. If the system is down for 20+ hours, then Billy Bub Bob must have gone fishing, and if BBB is off fishing, who is watching Mrs. Billy Bub Bob?

5. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 11 years ago

So just how does one be sure there are no missed Amazon or Ebay sales when the stats have been resumed?

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image79
      LuisEGonzalezposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't think Amazon or Ebay sales are affected by the lag in the stats, since they receive the clicks and their data must match HP 's. But I am just assuming I have no inside grounds to validate this....................hmm

6. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

Dude, stats not updating is no big deal.  If you don't trust Hubpages, you shouldn't write here.  You should write for a content site you do trust to pay you what you are owed.

From where I sit, the numbers add up, correlate to independent estimates, and the money is paid out as promised.  So I think they are an honest business.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)