Constructive criticism required!

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (16 posts)
  1. tom_caton profile image80
    tom_catonposted 11 years ago

Hi everyone. I'm just looking for some feedback on This Hub which I published 2 days ago.

The score has been gradually going down and I wondered if anyone might like to offer some criticism for me? Maybe you could help me understand where I've gone wrong, or whatever.

Cheers

1. LCDWriter profile image91
      LCDWriterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Maybe it's for grammar and sentence structure?  I mean the topic seems good.  But just in the first two paragraphs there are some problems:

There's nothing quite like a really good tour of some pubs and a brewery with a group of friends. It takes you out of your local (should be "locale" I think or maybe you meant to add a noun), brings you to other bars and towns, and introduces you to new beers, ciders, (and) maybe food (comma) too.

With a little prior research and planning (comma) this can be great fun for everyone, and it really need not be difficult to put together,(run on sentence, put  a semicolon here or make a new sentence) here are the basics to cover first.

Maybe just going over the grammar will help?

1. chasmac profile image89
        chasmacposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Actually, "local" is correct in this context, at least in British English. It's a well-understood shorthand for "local pub". I don't know about other forms of English, though, and I'm not sure where Tom is from. He mentions a pub in Edinburgh, so it suggests he's using British English, but he also spells 'humour' the American way (humor).  I agree about the other points, but does HP really have a grammar checker advanced enough to spot those mistakes? Compared to hubs in general, I'd say the grammar and spelling in this hub are above average.

1. LCDWriter profile image91
          LCDWriterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Those crazy Brits. ;-)

tom_catonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Buddy you have no idea big_smile

2. Anna Haven profile image71
    Anna Havenposted 11 years ago

Hi, the hub is interesting and entertaining and it does hold that interest right through. I would agree with the above comments totally that the grammar is perhaps the problem.

Run it through the grammar checker on your word processing package and it will sort out the punctuation. I also think it would be beneficial to shorten some of the longer sentences, as some are too long to flow comfortably. There is a word missing far down the page and a spelling error with a missing first letter, small things that will be easily fixed.

A few simple tweaks and I am sure that your hub will be flying high, as it is a witty, good read.

Overly long sentences are probably my biggest weakness, it usually takes me several re-edits to iron them all out... They'll be the death of me! smile

1. Anna Haven profile image71
        Anna Havenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We all have our little writing quirks!
        I am eternally grateful to the grammar checker for my spacing.  My biggest flaw is leaving two spaces between some of my words. I don't know how they sneak in there! big_smile

Oh gods that happens to me too, it's like your keyboard's out to get you sometimes isn't it!

Absolutely, and it always wins smile

Tell you what's worse actually, trying to do hubs on tablet computers. First of all the hubtools are buggy and it's very hit or miss when trying to edit or add boxes. But the really killer is the touchscreen input, the cursed autocorrect, and the (again, buggy) tendency for the typing to jump to wherever in the box it damn well pleases. Resulting in text like this;

Painful, painful process

smile

3. LongTimeMother profile image93
    LongTimeMotherposted 11 years ago

Hi Tom, I've just taken a quick look and here are my thoughts.

I don't believe there's any problem with what you've written. I suspect you just need to adjust the formatting. I notice that you've used bold to visually divide the text. Go back and edit using new 'text capsules' to divide the sections, give each one a relevant heading, and see what difference that makes.

Also, take a look and see if you have any empty capsules. You won't be able to tell until you open the hub in edit mode. Look for little boxes where photos should be etc. If you don't have a photo for it, just delete the capsule.

Your writing style seems fine, so I think this type of fine-tuning might help. Good luck. smile

4. tom_caton profile image80
    tom_catonposted 11 years ago

Thanks for taking a look everybody, i really appreciate that. As for grammar, i had a feeling there would be trouble, the hub was composed on a french computer which won't load an english dictionary (though try as i might). So everything is underlined in red. I'll go back over it in non-editing form...

The mode i used to divide the text was done on purpose, though perhaps this was a mistake, I just think the headers are a touch too big for this style of article. Perhaps I'm just being too fussy.

The use of 'local' was intentional (British English) though perhaps i could rephrase it.

Again, thanks for taking the time to look!

Oh, and one other thing... Witty... Ha! Awesome! I can't tell you how much thats made my day

5. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 11 years ago

Hi Tom,

I enjoyed your article. Just a thought, though: since it is a how-to article, I was expecting to glance over it and find the basic steps. What about the putting steps in bold as the headers to your text capsules? I would love to see the basic steps in bold, with the details written below. Perhaps bold subheads along the lines of:

Decide upon a theme
    Make a guest list
    Check out breweries in your area
    Map out your route
    Call for reservations
    Arrange transportation

IMHO I don't think a few of the phrases you've put in bold are very important, for example "Assuming that you don't know where you want to go yet," "If, for example" and "Also worth your consideration." On the other hand I think that your use of bold in "Where, when and who," "the finer details" and "The only thing left to consider really is safety" are the types of phrases that readers will want to zero in on, so I do agree with your used of bold type there.

Just my opinion - perhaps you were not wanting this to be a "step one, step two" type of article. If not then please ignore my advice, or ignore it anyway if you like, lol. smile Sounds like a fun activity and it is an engaging article already. Best wishes! smile

Thanks for the input SmartAndFun, I see what you mean about making it look more like a step-by-step instructional - which is partially what I had in mind to begin with.

The problem with the layout probably comes from the way I composed the whole hub, I wrote the first two boxes then just sort of added what came to mind as I thought of it, possibly makes it a little disjointed!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)