What The Most Exotic Food You Have Tasted ?

Jump to Last Post 1-32 of 32 discussions (43 posts)
  1. profile image50
    jlopinoyfanposted 16 years ago

What is the most exotic food you have tasted...

here in the philippines I ate balut/balot (a fertilized duck egg with a nearly-developed embryo inside that is boiled and eaten in the shell).

And these are the following exotic food that I have accidentally eaten....

Dried Horse Meat...

and CAT dumplings.....

If at the start I do know whats on the dumplings and what type of meat is that dried meat then I wouldn't have eaten them.

1. VioletSun profile image78
      VioletSunposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Cat dumplings? Goat eyes tacos? Dried ants? ::::gulp::::::::::::: What if I have been served these and had no clue! :::::feeling a little queazy at the thought:::::::::::: LOL!

1. thranax profile image71
        thranaxposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Same.

2. mroconnell profile image72
      mroconnellposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I've had a New Orleans Lucky Dog post-Katrina so I can only imagine I've eaten both of those things at once with a side of rat droppings and black mold.

2. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 16 years ago

Emu, American bison (only once), beefalo, lotus root, alligator fritters, red and black caviar (I only like the red - black tastes like aluminum foil), dried ants and grasshoppers.

3. JarrodHaze profile image71
    JarrodHazeposted 16 years ago

Fried scorpion, random snake skewered, goat's eye tacos, grilled tarantula, goanna, crocodile.  Of course 'roo and emu.  Australia's the only country with more than one animal on its national crest that also eats both of those animals.  As the Geico gecko says, "oi... tasty."

I love weird foods.  smile  It's an addiction!

4. J_Eds profile image61
    J_Edsposted 16 years ago

Wow I feel so ordinary! the most unusual thing I've tasted is Sharks Fin Soup - can't get it in the UK, whenever I want some I have to go to Spain! Most expensive craving ever...

1. profile image0
      RFoxposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Watch the documentary Sharkwater next time you crave Sharks Fin Soup, it might save you some money. big_smile

I've eaten witchety grubs, eel, escargot, snake and frogs legs.

2. Colebabie profile image60
      Colebabieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I watched "Shark Water" and I'm a diver. I wouldn't eat Shark. The rest sounds quite interesting!
      "Chicken head"- the immaturity inside me is laughing smile

5. profile image0
    learntosucceedposted 16 years ago

Escargot, rattle snake, gator tail - not near as exotic as some of the other items listed though.

6. Earl S. Wynn profile image77
    Earl S. Wynnposted 16 years ago

WOW that's incredible. Now I definitely feel vanilla, haha. Some of those dishes... I didn't even know people ate. Amazing! And here I thought I was adventurous for having eaten escargot and wasabi peanuts!

1. kerryg profile image83
      kerrygposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Wow, seriously! I've only been to France and Russia, other than the US, and their national diets have some stuff that's exotic by American standards, but compared to, say, Southeast Asia...

My dad's had alligator, 'coon, and a few other oddities of the American South, though, and my Central Asian husband's national diet includes delicacies like boiled sheep skin and this soup-y thing made out of fish eyeballs. They don't typically eat dog, but he's also had that, because university students there spend a couple months a year picking cotton and one year during the civil war, his group didn't get any new food shipments for several weeks and ended up killing and cooking the guard dog.

7. profile image57
    Maria Cposted 15 years ago

I've tried dogmeat (I never want to try this again!), snake, frogs, locusts, duck embryo (or balut) and freshly caught sea urchins.

8. micamyx` profile image62
    micamyx`posted 15 years ago

Dog meat by mistake huhu

9. profile image52
    ithkilvuposted 15 years ago

uh, fresh dates from <snipped link>... wow, I thought dates were exotic! Turns out I have to eat dog or shark to be cool :-(

10. Princessa profile image81
    Princessaposted 15 years ago

Snails in Spain.  Prawns covered with chocolate sauce in France.  Turtle stew and deep fried piraƱas in the Peruvian jungle!

One of the most exotic drinks I had was also in the peruvian jungle.  A drink called masato made of Yuca.  In the cities this is industrially made but in the jungle, the indians chew the yuca and spit it out in a big pot to macerate. After that you just wait a few days maceration, add some water and drink it.  The first few days this is a very nutritious drink for the babies in the tribe.  After a few days, the heat makes this drink alcoholic and is drank by the adults!  Cheers

BTW the masato was delicious!

11. vietnamese profile image66
    vietnameseposted 15 years ago

Anyone tried monkey brain or gingseng baby mouse?

1. Princessa profile image81
      Princessaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Not monkey brain... but a monkey soup yes... It would have been ok.  except for the pieces of monkey floating on the pot, it looked to much like a baby!!!!

12. vietnamese profile image66
    vietnameseposted 15 years ago

I wonder who had these two I mentioned.... BTW, they are both live treats....hheheehehheehe (not me, I wouldn't even eat deer!)

13. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60
    JYOTI KOTHARIposted 15 years ago

If you really like food you have to come to India to enjoy varieties of sweets, salty fried Namkeens, baked food, northIndian dishes as well as south Indian Dosha, idli, bada etc.
    One can enjoy chaat in Chowpaty of Mumbai or Chandni Chowk of Delhi.
    Dal bati churma in Jaipur and Rabri-peda of Varanasi.
    Motichur laddu of Azimganj and Rasogolla-Sandesh of Kolkata, West Bengal.
    Hundreds and thousands of varieties... it is even difficult to list.
    One may read my hub on Rasogolla and Sandesh...

14. profile image0
    Zarm Nefilinposted 15 years ago

Frog legs, Gator, Escargot (once).  That's about it.

15. Tater2tot profile image58
    Tater2totposted 15 years ago

I had rattlesnake and alligator. I think those are the weirdest things I have eaten. I had the alligator at a restaurant called Grumpy Dicks in Florida. And Rattlesnake at this restaurant in my city. They are actually really good! I want to eat more!

16. mulder profile image66
    mulderposted 15 years ago

Emu  and Kangeroo   for me .

17. profile image58
    Independant Hubposted 15 years ago

As a former professional chef I've cooked many different things, and eaten many different things. My motto is don't knock it till you've tried it.

Things that I have eaten that others feel were odd, but quite normal to me, have been:

varius snakes
    turtle steak on a beach in Mexico, turtle soup at Commander's Palace
    live eels (that was kind of gross)
    all sorts of game (elk, reindeer, boar, black bear)
    beef cheeks
    frog legs
    escargot (ther're great!)
    fresh sea urchin (ooni)
    fresh spring lamb kidneys right after the slaughter
    blood sausage (yes, it is made with fresh blood, usually pork's)
    just about every organ meat (heart, kidney, tripe, sweetbreads, brain, cheeks, tails, tongue)
    the list goes on.

The only thing that I made and regretted trying was pig eye. I bought a baby pig that was raised solely on granny smith apples (kind of like veal is raised on milk alone, or Kobi beef raised on beer). Anyway, I braised the whole pig with a hint of clove. A coworker and I ate the whole thing after the dinner rush. It was outstanding! The meat was amazing; the brain and tongue were amazing! All that was left were the eyes.  I figured what they hell, carved one out, and popped it in my mouth. falvor-wise it was not that different than the meat was, was once bitten into there was a burst of gelatin like substance that did not taste good. The worst part was the "lens" of the eyeball did not really soften through cooking so it was like have a giant hard contact lens swimming in the other "goop". that was my only regret.

I will not try "Rocky Mountain Oysters" based on principal.

18. profile image49
    Remhyposted 15 years ago

In India there are so many varieties of food items.Indian food items are very taste and good quality.If you really like food you have to come to India to enjoy varieties of sweets,salty fried Namkeens, baked food, northIndian dishes as well as south Indian Dosha, idli, bada etc.
    =========================================
    Joel

http://www.orkut.com

19. candigirltnt profile image59
    candigirltntposted 15 years ago

deer,ant eater,porcupine,monkey,turtle,iguana and that's just to name a few.I've got hunters in my family so whatever they catch we eat.

20. Shalini Kagal profile image53
    Shalini Kagalposted 15 years ago

Snake soup in China years ago when it had just opened up to tourism. It was December, freezing and the guide told us that it was only in winter that snake soup was served to prevent any kind of ill effects from the cold!

21. Betsy Baywatch profile image60
    Betsy Baywatchposted 14 years ago

Grilled Kangaroo in a Berlin restaurant (tastes like a mixture of lamb and beef)
    -Grilled Warthog, Alligator and Shark'chips in South Africa.
    -White and black pudding (sausage made with blood instead of ground meat)in Ireland. This is part of traditional Irish breakfast.Tastes great if you don't think about the ingredients.
    -Sheeps brain scrambled with eggs is an acquired yet delicious taste.
    -Spicy Chicken livers,Sheeps liver,lungs and heart.
    -Chicken head and feet (considered a delicacy in parts of South Africa and refered to as 'walkie talkies).

22. LondonGirl profile image82
    LondonGirlposted 14 years ago

1. Stuffed pig's testicles
    2. chocolate covered pickled egg
    3. horse milk vodka

23. tksensei profile image60
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

Blowfish sperm

24. SweetiePie profile image82
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

I was dared to eat a little octopus at a sushi buffet.  Never should have because I had horrible indigestion after that.  The sushi and the noodles were nice though.

1. tksensei profile image60
      tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Octopus gave you indigestion? I don't think I've heard of it having that effect before. Give it another try sometime.

1. SweetiePie profile image82
        SweetiePieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I will, but my stomach is a little sensitive.  I love sushi and shrimp though.

1. tksensei profile image60
          tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think of shrimp and octopus as being pretty similar in the digestion department, that's why I was surprised. They are both high in cholesterol though.

1. SweetiePie profile image82
            SweetiePieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think it is more the idea behind eating octopus than the actually act.  I must add I probably only eat sushi and shrimp like once a year, so it is not an every day occurence.

25. Tom Cornett profile image79
    Tom Cornettposted 14 years ago

Squirrel with bacon grease gravy!YuuuuuM!

26. onthewriteside profile image60
    onthewritesideposted 14 years ago

Human brains, some Fava beans, and a nice CHIANTI...

27. tksensei profile image60
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

You gotta try takoyaki, it's grrrrreat.

28. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

Eel, I think would have to be pretty exotic. I love it in sushi.

Other than that, I love 'odd', exotic food:

Alligator (tried once, but it was ok)
    caviar
    escargot
    duck liver pate (in very small amounts with some form of cracker)
    squid/calamari
    octopus

I'm sure there is other stuff, but that's all I can think of for now.

29. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

Alligator is the most exotic for me.

30. Drew Breezzy profile image61
    Drew Breezzyposted 14 years ago

octopus

31. Ivorwen profile image67
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

Most exotic food:
    Mountain Lion -- absolutely delicious

Other unusual foods:
    Rocky Mountain Oysters
    Game animals -- Moose, deer, antelope, elk
    Buffalo -- farm raised
    Beaver
    Squid
    Snake
    Shark
    Dolphin
    Kidney, heart, liver and tongue.

Many kinds of wild berries, flowers, leaves and roots.

32. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 14 years ago

Beans n toast!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)