My God my God why have you forsaken me?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (60 posts)
  1. Soul Man Boogie profile image59
    Soul Man Boogieposted 11 years ago

These words were uttered by Jesus on the cross. Through the centuries, scholars have attempted to explore and explain the phenomena of his anguished cry and emotional separation from God.

There is much more to the story. Jesus was focusing attention on something written many years before. Psalms 22,  a psalm of David, prophesied the passion of the Christ. It is an uncanny description of the scene being played out before the crowd of witnesses. It is nothing short of an undeniable authenticating factor on that day of reckoning.

There is another yet to come.

PSALMS 22 (excerpts)

My God, my God, why have You forsaken me?
    Far from my deliverance are the words of my groaning.

O my God, I cry by day, but You do not answer.
    And by night, but I have no rest.
    Yet You are holy,

I am a worm and not a man,
    A reproach of men and despised by the people.

All who see me sneer at me,
    They curl the lip, they wag the head, saying,
    “Commit yourself to the Lord. Let Him deliver you."

I am poured out like water,
    And all my bones are out of joint;
    My heart is like wax;
    It is melted within me.
    My strength is dried up like a potsherd,
    And my tongue cleaves to my jaws.
    You lay me in the dust of death.

For dogs have surrounded me,
    A band of evildoers has encompassed me,
    They pierced my hands and my feet. I can count all my bones.
    They look, they stare at me;
    They divide my garments among them,
    And for my clothing they cast lots.

You who fear the Lord, praise Him . . .

For He has not despised nor abhorred the afflicted;
    Nor has He hidden His face from him.

Let your heart live forever!

It will be told of the Lord to the coming generations.
    They will come and will declare His righteousness
    To a people who will be born, that He has performed it.

1. A Troubled Man profile image58
      A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

\

Who exactly recorded those words for the Bible?

Soul Man Boogieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

A scribe in the court of King David. Back in the day, all of Israel sang it in the temple in Jerusalem all the time.

Edgar Casey? Nostradamus? This stuff is the real deal!

lol You could instead just honestly say you have no idea and that no one was actually there to have heard and record those words, word for word, to have reproduced them in the bible.

1. Silverspeeder profile image60
            Silverspeederposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Are you saying there was no one there or there was no one there who could have recorded it?
            The tradition with all executions (even now) is that there are witnesses.

There is no mention in any Roman records of the execution, if there were any official witnesses. No one who may have witnessed the event (if it even occurred) ever wrote about it.

There are many Jewish and Roman accounts of the fact that the event took place and the resulting growth of believers. Why do you want to hide from the truth? What have you done wrong?

lol

2. Soul Man Boogie profile image59

It is mentioned more than once.

Really? More than once? Wow! It must be true, then. lol

Exactly. It would be dishonest to say that there are no records.

Why deny the fact that the original account by the scribe (you can find his name) are well documented and preserved well before the event,

2. Zelkiiro profile image86
          Zelkiiroposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So quoting a well-known piece of sorrowful scripture = prophecy, now?

Think about it. They gambled for his clothes, they pierced his hands and feet, described the physical results of crucifixion, etc. It was written many years in advance of the event. Uncanny!

3. getitrite profile image71
          getitriteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

???

Confused? People are fascinated with "prophecy".

1. getitrite profile image71

In other words, blind followers can be easily tricked into believing anything no matter that there is no real evidence to support such silly beliefs, and will follow authority all the way to their destruction if need be...Just like a mindless sheep.  Fascinating!

And, otherwise. The words ring true.

2. A Troubled Man profile image58

Yes, when they wish to escape reality.

Soul Man Boogieposted 11 years ago

Happy Easter!

He is risen!

3. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 11 years ago

It is true that a number of people have attempted to explain those words "Father why have thou forsaken me?" For a long time I too have thought about those words and just recently I have come to a decision about not what he said but the reason for him saying it.

It is my perspective that God chose Jesus to suffer perhaps more so then he should have, why? I feel he did so to let all know God was not going to take it easy on his son so that no one can get in God's face and say "of course you're going to take it easy on Jesus he's your son!" No, Angels, Demons, humans can't use that argument to say God is bias.

4. rasta1 profile image71
    rasta1posted 11 years ago

I have studied this scene from the perspective of the disciples and from the written records of the Roman Empire when they used to execute people by method of the cross. I have also taken into consideration Psalm 22.

During the biological life of Jesus the CHRIST, He confessed that his father was apart of him. "Why do say I am good, only my father is good" and "When you see me you see the father". AT that point Jesus was one with his Father.

However, on the cross, Jesus took on the sin of the world and became the passover lamb sacrifice. The final sacrifice. A representation of the passover feast of Exodus 12 and Numbers 21:9 when Moses lifted up the bronze snake to heal those bitten by the SNAKE (Jesus represent the one lifted up).

On the Cross the trinity was broken. It was no longer, the father, the son and the holy ghost. Jesus had become a mere mortal with no miraculous powers. Jesus was forsaken by his father. His Father had separated from Jesus because the father did not consent with sin. Jesus took on the sins of the world and became unholy and a mere human (Adam).

The resurrection was proof that mortals are empowered with ever lasting life by doing good, forgiving and peaceful behavior.

Sounds just like something J.K. Rowling could have written.  Of course she, at least, informs the public that her writings are the works of fiction.

I offered this here for those who might appreciate the connection between what was uttered by Jesus on the cross and Psalm 22. Many Christians, and interested scholars, hear deep sermons and teachings on the emotional, physical, and spiritual separation that took place, but are unaware of the significance and the fact that he was quoting ancient scripture.

I have no intention of defending the authenticity of the actuality. I am an old dog who does not waste energy chasing rabbits.

In other words you make vacuous claims with no intention of providing any irrefutable proof, yet you would like to be taken seriously.  Maybe that could work in the imaginary world,  but don't try that in the real world.  You will lose every once of credibility.

What you have here are unscrupulous charlatans who have found a way to tie the events of the New Testament to the Old Testament.  That's not prophesy, that's BS.  That's not so hard to see.

1. It is a point to ponder and expound upon, not a bone of contention.

2. In the real world?

3. Biased, myopic.

????
              This is drivel to me.  My comments still stand.  You have no proof to corroborate your assertions, so I can do nothing but conclude that this is nothing but psychotic delusion.

Of course, that is your prerogative.

2. Jean Bakula profile image92
        Jean Bakulaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm not even very religious, but have read the Bible and believe Jesus truly existed. The disciples all recorded their time with him as best they could. As far as language changes and witnesses, there will be some variation of facts, and I don't believe the Bible we know today is the literal truth. You have to read between the lines. But rasta 1 makes a good point that I agree with. The trinity was broken when Jesus was on the cross, he was just a man. At times he and God are one, but that was a time they were not. If you believe Jesus died for everyone's sins, he had to suffer quite a lot I would think. But as rasta explains, we do have everlasting life if we earn it, by our actions and deeds. Great explanation, rasta 1! Happy Belated Easter!

Humans are rigid herd animals.

3. rasta1 profile image71
        rasta1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Each man's action is a reaction to their own personal beliefs. Therefore, if I show mutual respect and love to humanity then it must have been my father who taught me to behave this way.

That's a statement made purely from conjecture and wishful thinking.

Yeah, wherever fathers do not teach their children how to behave.

This perspective is simply from a patriarchal view of reality.  You don't seem to be able to grasp anything beyond a male chauvinistic, closed minded, view.  A father is only another carbon based life form, and not the only person that instructs a child.  Many children become outstanding, and moral citizens despite having an immoral fool for a father.

2. rasta1 profile image71

I wish many fortunes in your direction. I also respect your peaceful beliefs.

Wow, Rasta1! That is a really insightful explanation. I can't say I have that level of understanding, but I sure appreciate yours.

1. rasta1 profile image71

Respect my Lord. Do not worry about information overload. Following a path of love and peace is more important. A lot of people resent me for being non-agressive, but that is how it goes. I still love them and respect their humanity.

Peaceful words from a peaceful heart.

3. Soul Man Boogie profile image59

I do have one question. Can it also be said . . . empowered with everlasting life to do good, forgive and live in peace and joy?

No. Doing good, BEING peaceful and forgiving is not a reward. It has to be done in the present. It is the nature of BEING and must be done in the presence of HUMAN BEINGS. The con-sequence of good is always good.

I see your point. Maybe, not a reward, but an infusion of Love from above to help along the way?

Yes. it has a lot to do with perception. It can from inside instead of from above. Humans are scared about what happens after death. This can cause a lot of anger and confusion. So, we have lived all our lives believing that doing good to humanity will help us escape death. Then again, what if I am wrong and I end up just disappearing from existence. I do not worry about that, because at least I did good when I had a chance on earth.

Is it not better to do GOOD than bad?

Whenever I see another person, I see myself, my cousin, my brother, my sister, my FATHER. I really do not need any angel to come down from heaven to convince me. I have already used my own logistics and figured out the importance of re-search and soul-search. I asked my FATHER what is right from wrong and the information was presented. Then I asked myself what was right and the information was consistent with that of my FATHER.

1. "Above" is a figure of speech. Anyway, you have shown a light on the internal aspect, and that the power is in us all to do good when our heart desires.

2. That is true. It is hard to find security in the face of our existential dilemma.

3. This is a wise approach to life! You never know exactly who you may run into.

4. Re-search, soul-search! They are both valid on a good day.

5. You have at least two witnesses.

5. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

"My God, my God, why have You forsaken me?" This is just another reason the Christian percpective makes no sense to me. If anything the Jews make more sense when it comes to the topic of Jesus in my opinion. The son of God who in Christians words is God would not have to question his father/self.

Life is a trip.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)