Best gym exercises to flatten stomach?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (29 posts)
  1. Iontach profile image68
    Iontachposted 12 years ago

Right so the summer is approaching and I'm trying to get rid of this damn belly. I'm actually slim but the belly fat is stubborn...Does anybody have any success stories they can share on how to remove belly fat?

Cheers in advance!
    Iontach

1. FitnessTom profile image61
      FitnessTomposted 12 years agoin reply to this

no such thing as an exercise that can help you achieve that. it's all about your eating plan... 110%

Iontachposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Arggg...Regardless of me dieting I cannot lose the belly...Would you suggest cutting down on carbs?

1. FitnessTom profile image61
          FitnessTomposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Lot of bad responses here. Until a few days ago I would have said watch carbs.

I have found sufficient studies to suggest that counting carbs is not a superior way to lose fat.

There is a type of diet called intermittent fasting. Google it or go to leangains.com

2. A Troubled Man profile image57
      A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Diet.

To strengthen your ab muscles, there are about a dozen exercises one can do about 3 times a week for about 20 minutes each day and they'll be solid.

2. Brent Stone profile image61
    Brent Stoneposted 12 years ago

I agree, the 6 pack is 90% diet, 10% working out. The abdominal muscles are a very small muscle group. So you do not need to hit them too hard with exercise. Keep of the high fat, high complex carb foods. Building your core strength with pilates or yoga, they will give great abs too.

Instead of doing pilates do you think swimming is a good alternative? I'm swimming recently and it feels similar to pilates...

1. Mighty Mom profile image76
        Mighty Momposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Situps, situps and more situps.
        And the Roman Chair if you have access to that at your gym.

I know you are not considering it, but do NOT do lipo.
        Or your belly fat could end up migrating somewhere else in your body. Yuck-o!

3. cathylynn99 profile image76
    cathylynn99posted 12 years ago

you could try adding cardiovascular time to your workout, which should help burn off those calories you feel you need to eat. if all else fails and you are at a healthy weight and still have the belly, there's liposuction.

Yep im doing a lot of cardio at the moment! Mainly cardio actually. Haha lipo is a bit of a no no for now, no funds for that i'm afraid.

4. dvndvn profile image60
    dvndvnposted 12 years ago

To lose weight, more calories out than in.  Nothing really complicated.  1 gram of fat has 9 calories, protein 4, carbohydrates 4, booze 7, sugar 4, fiber 2, sweeteners 2.4.  Burn more calories per day than what you eat.  Doesn't necessarily mean starving yourself, just eat till you're satisfied, not till you're full.  Fiber has less than a 4th the calories of fat which means you can feel fuller on less calories if you eat more fruits and vegetables.

5. profile image0
    fit2dayposted 12 years ago

I am not at all anti-cardio, but the best way to burn fat is with high intensity workouts. I like to strength train with very little rest between sets. Ultimately a good workout should have you pushing your body's limits. I know people will always say diet when it comes to belly fat, but more importantly how you diet.

Eat healthy sources of carbs, fats, and protein. Guilty culprits of excess fat may be sugar, flour, and any starchy food. Also eating a big dinner is bad, especially right before bed. Rule of thumb if you're hungry and tired, don't eat, just sleep

6. KatMcCullough profile image61
    KatMcCulloughposted 12 years ago

I've read the best way to burn fat is to run. High-impact cardio not only strengthens your bones but is a great way to get rid of fat.

I'm not a nutritionist but I read a lot about the subject and, like most people have said, it's mostly diet. Eating complex carbs that stay with you longer is a good idea along with lots of vegetables and protein. I am also of the opinion that anything that is packaged is not something you want to put into your body unless you've read the ingredients and know what they are. Processed foods are just going to make losing that little bit of weight that much harder.

7. theirishobserver. profile image60
    theirishobserver.posted 12 years ago

The Lunch Pack, put salad in your lunch pack rather than crips and bars of choc smile

8. Fitness Fitness profile image64
    Fitness Fitnessposted 12 years ago

Actually the result varies from person to person. Best way to burn fat is to increase your muscle mass and strngthen your muscles along with doing some Cardio excercises. You cant target to reduce your fat in some specific areas like abs..waist..etc. If one can combine excercises well and maintain a proper balance of excercise and diet..the whole body fat will be reduced where it is accumulated most.

Some of the specific body type which is called endomorfic has a normal tendency to accumulate fat. They have to work hard and  should be extra careful about their diet chart.

9. Rob Winters profile image76
    Rob Wintersposted 12 years ago

If your diet is reasonable and your doing plenty of cardio and are only carrying a little belly blubber you may be carrying a little water weight rather than fat and need to reduce your sodium/salt intake. You should also drink plenty of water to keep hydrated this reduces the levels of water the body tends to retain.

Interval training can work great and i would definately look into carb cycling - works well for those last few pounds.

10. profile image52
    Proteinsforhealthposted 11 years ago

The best way to get a flat stomach is workout of exercises .

First of all, if you want faster results, you should stimulate those stomach muscles every 2-3 days or way to creatively include the exercises as part of a different workout.

11. livewirez profile image69
    livewirezposted 11 years ago

Just do some sit-ups, more or less 50 times a day, for sure your stomach will flatten.

1. thevoodoogirl profile image61
      thevoodoogirlposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It may be a big stress for your knees, too.

12. adity5 profile image76
    adity5posted 11 years ago

'Kapalbhati' is the best. Its a process of deep breathing which puts considerable pressure on stomach. My mom did it for 2 months and her tummy is nearly flat now smile Great improvement !!

13. tammybarnette profile image60
    tammybarnetteposted 11 years ago

immediatley after cardio do hanging leg lifts, the pike...I like to do sets...straight out legs(pike), bended knees side to side, and bent knees to chest....I do 10 reps of each and 3 sets...this worked when nothing else would and I discovered it by accident smile Good Luck!

14. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 11 years ago

There are a lot of great suggestions listed here, and some not so great.  Each body type has it's own metabolic rate and reacts differently to diet and excercise.  What may work for me, may not necessarily work for you.  However, that doesn't mean that there isn't a fit in there somewhere.

I suggest that you change your diet.  First, increase your water intake.  Not just bottled water or tap water!  Drink reverse osmosis water -- all elements that can harm your body (yes, including chlorine, fluoride, etc) has been filtered out.  This provides the purest form of water for your body - what nature intended for you.  Drink steadily throughout the day.  Your urine should be clear or extremely pale yellow.  This is a sign that your kidneys and liver are doing their job, and not stressed because they are dehydrated.  Simply but drinking water, and eating healthy, you can begin to see the loss of belly fat within a month.

Work your core muscles.  Isolating only the abs will not work.  Your abs wrap around your back, so you must target your core, and it doesn't hurt to add your whole upper body.  The more muscles you involve, the faster the results and the more uniform/balanced your body will become.  There are all kinds of excercises out there and programs as well - PX90, weights, pilates, yoga, etc.  Find something that you are interested in.  Take the time to hire a personal trainer, or use the personal trainer for a one one-on-one session for two hours.  They will provide you the proper program.  They maybe pricey, but you will get the results that you are looking for.

Cardio is important but so is weight bearing excercises.  Never overwork your muscles -- alternate one day upper, one day lower, one day cardio or combo with circuit training.  Circuit is the best as it combines cardio and weight bearing, is fast to do and brings fast results. The drawback is that you have to be willing to sweat and work as much as you can per minute at the station.  It's an honesty system that you do for yourself.

Water, fresh fruit, fresh veggies, protein and carbs.  You need moderation when it comes to all the foods, but you need all the food groups to ensure that you are ingesting the proper nutritional blocks to build your muscles, which in turn will burn the carbs.  (Muscles = mitochondria = little guys that eat the carbs/fat to produce energy). 

Also, if you're doing sets and reps, try 3 sets with first rep = 10, 2nd rep = 8, 3 rep = 6 while increasing 5-10 lbs per rep.  This will help you bulk but strengthen your muscles.

Whatever you do, don't turn to surgery.  That in itself will cause other issues.

15. Alphadogg16 profile image85
    Alphadogg16posted 11 years ago

Wow.....a lot of bad responses on here........I agree with Beth100... her suggestions are on point.......everyone's body is different, you need to learn your body and figure out what it responds too. The only thing that I would add to Beth100's comment is cutting your sugar. Sugar is the main precursor of fat, the more sugar in your body, the more fat your body will retain.

1. Beth100 profile image69
      Beth100posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey, thanks!  I agree -- sugar is one of the major culprits.  The difficulty for many is to spot it since it is hidden in so many "healthy" foods. Also, one should understand there are three different types of sugars:  glucose, sucrose and fructose.  Fructose comes from fruit, which is great and can easily be broken down by the body. However, the other two -- not so good.  These are to be avoided.

16. maalarue profile image73
    maalarueposted 11 years ago

Diet definitely plays a major role. Stay away from all sugar and starchy foods. Eat  clean and stay away from high carb drinks. Doing cardio exercise is not enough. You should incorporate resistance training such as weight lifting to add lean muscle tissue which will expedite fat loss. Cardio will only burn fat short term, but will not raise your metabolic rate. Weight training will burn fat but also raise your metabolism and continue to burn fat long into the day or evening. I also recommend a high intensity weight routine, that will super charge your growth hormone levels and add even more fat burning power.

17. CyclingFitness profile image90
    CyclingFitnessposted 11 years ago

It's amazing how much bad advice there is with these questions and across the Internet in general although alot of stuff across the net has a purpose in selling or introducing products which is why weight loss hubs are a bad idea as the marketplace is saturated already unless you're willing to spend significant time effort and possibly even money to promote.

As every individual is so different it's usually going to be a combination of diet and exercises. Crunches and sit ups won't remove that layer of fat that's hiding your stomach away so exercise and diet has to target removing the fat. This is not a quick fix.

Everyone has a fantastic set of stomach muscles- it's about showcasing them so the right posturing exercises are a good idea to align the body and showcase your stomach.

18. profile image0
    Beth37posted 11 years ago

Hello FitnessTom. lol

1. Cletus Jones profile image60
      Cletus Jonesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 11 years agoin reply to this

He wont even get that msg. It was more a joke for the rest of us... I couldn't help it.
        (Fat alcoholics are ppl too.)

1. Cletus Jones profile image60
          Cletus Jonesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. profile image0
            Beth37posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Nice to meet you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)