polymer clay

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 13 years ago

does anyone like to work with polymer clay?
    i know the purists don't think it's a true art form.
    it's easier to work with and has some fun colors.

1. lt86 profile image60
      lt86posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've seen primitive stone paintings where thousands of years ago someone spat mud over their hand to make patterns.

I think is 'pure art' so that's where I take my definition of purist from, and think anywhere someone has taken the trouble to produce something that others might enjoy is art. I might not like what they've done, but to me it's still art.

I might choose some other words to describe those you are calling 'purists' here. (I've no intention to cause offence, just to give my opinion which is no more valid than anyone else's.)

Have fun with your clay and do what you think's right.

T

2. lbjnflower profile image59
      lbjnflowerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I work in polymer clay I make art dolls and they are considered collectables

2. frogdropping profile image76
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

I enjoy sculpting and creating with it. Don't knock it 'til you've tried it huh? wink

3. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

I prefer to stay with clay myself. smile I enjoy the way it feels.

4. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 13 years ago

polymer clay is good for making small items,such as miniatures.
    i know that regular clay has a wonderful texture and nothing beats it for making pots

5. wychic profile image84
    wychicposted 13 years ago

Yes, I love polymer clay! I've used it for all manner of sculpture, art dolls, jewelry, and items made with faux surfaces like wood, metal, precious stones, leather, cloth, etc. There's really no end to the things you can do with it, and there's just no comparison with regular clay because the applications are entirely different. This week I've been playing with some embossing techniques on clay "cloth" and I LOVE the way that's working out, it gives a whole new dimension to clothes on sculptures.

6. profile image57
    suscanposted 13 years ago

I like to work with polymer clay. It offers so much variety.
    The embossing and special effects are great. I think that both types have their places in artwork, but sometimes people get snobbish about what is truly artistic.

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
      Castlepalomaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm building an entire artistic village from 92% natural clay from my land.

The greatest advantages from polymer are in much smaller scale, art peaces. That can be made cleanly, light weight and easy to ship. The downside is the price of polymer clay.

I will be showing some works on line here soon, that I sand painted them afterward.

The main importance is the artist self, the material is secondary.

7. Hestia DeVoto profile image61
    Hestia DeVotoposted 13 years ago

I like that polymer clay can be used to imitate other materials, such as ivory or coral, so that you can make pieces that look like those things without actually having to harm the living creatures which make them to have them in your jewelry.

I've played around with polymer clay a bit but it's not something I've put as much time into as I wish.  (so many projects... only two hands...)

8. heart4theword profile image60
    heart4thewordposted 13 years ago

Yes, that clay is great!  I don't know anyone who doesn't like it:)  Maybe you can write a hub about it, and show us what you have done with it:)

9. Jamie Brock profile image91
    Jamie Brockposted 13 years ago

I love making pendants with polymer clay.  They turn out very pretty.. and it is so easy to work with.  The latest thing I did was mixing a silver and black clay together to make a marbled look.  These turned out SO pretty!! I still am fairly new to polymer clay but I really love it.

10. talfonso profile image84
    talfonsoposted 11 years ago

What can I say? Sure - why not? I find it useful for making pendants, charms and beads.

About a month ago, I delved into the craft and started making charms and pendants. For instance, I just made a posh flatback pendant of the head of Slippy Toad (the annoying frog from the Star Fox series) recently. Instead of his red baseball cap, he wears a pearly red and white marble gallon hat and a gold bowtie, to make him look like he's going to a formal.

I like the Premo! brand (I just bought Sculpey Oven-Bake Clay from Wally World and found it considerably too soft for caning or sculpting.) because it does a good job at canework at a good price. (I could've bought Kato Polyclay or even FIMO but even with a millionaire income I'm sticking to Premo! for budget's sake.)

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
      Castlepalomaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Being sculptor all my life, did not fine poly-clay very workable and too expensive.

The greatest up side for some sculptors is no kiln is needed, poly-clay dose well for higher prices with it and easier to ship than most.

What is Premo?

1. talfonso profile image84
        talfonsoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's a poly clay brand.

11. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

I remember, I didn't like the smell I think.

12. leilabarda profile image60
    leilabardaposted 11 years ago

I love to play and create my chibi dolls using polymer clay.

13. Making-Jewellery profile image65
    Making-Jewelleryposted 11 years ago

I think polymer clay has made clays achievable for people without the tools/space to work with more traditional clays. 

Making clay pots etc is pretty unachievable and expensive..... picking up a packet of polymer clay while down the town and coming home to make something small (and without mess/fuss) is much more reachable.

Having accessibility will make some people graduate to other forms .... that they'd have never entertained without their first forays with the easier methods.

14. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 11 years ago

Yes, I agree; polymer clay is fun and doesn't take as much time to create an object. Large Pots are a challenge though, with polymer clay.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)