Hub Etiquette--Scathing Blog Posts Contributed to Suicide

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
    Ralph Deedsposted 16 years ago
  2. Peter M. Lopez profile image71
    Peter M. Lopezposted 16 years ago

Wow!.  It's a good thing everyone here is so nice wink

3. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

The only thing I wonder is how many people threw themselves off a building after seeing those two ad campaigns mentioned in the article? I certainly feel like it every time I hear "I'm loving it."

4. About-The-Home profile image59
    About-The-Homeposted 16 years ago

It's great to be part of a supportive network, anyone know one?
    Only joking, I'm lovin it!

5. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 16 years ago

I find it amusing that Ralph is talking about hub etiquette since the very first comments I ever got when I made my first Hub were four in a row from him, repeatedly maligning tattoos and piercings and lecturing me about how the "older generation" found them to be repulsive and ugly.

I feel sorry that Paul wound up having to apologize for his father's behavior, but it was nice that he did.

Ralph Deedsposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Ha! Ha! I don't recall saying that tatoos are "repulsive and ugly." I did point out that many older people in ordinary jobs are prejudiced against tatoos. And I recommended "keep 'em small" and "put 'em where the sun don't shine." As I recall you didn't allow my comments to appear. I stand by my comments--big, visible tatoos can be an impediment to getting certain kinds of jobs--in law firms, hospitals, etc. At least that's true in the midwest, if not in California. Tatoos may be helpful and almost mandatory in other types of jobs. I'm quite sure I didn't direct any disparaging remarks toward you, personally. My recollection is that I disagreed politely with your tatoo recommendations. And there was absolutely no reason for Paul to "apologise for my behavior!" Everybody knows he's a wuss! :-)

I read somewhere that former Secretary of State, Secretary of the Treasury and Secretary and currently a fellow at Stanford's Hoover Institute, George Shultz got a Princeton Tiger tatooed on his butt when he was in the Marines. He managed to succeed admirably despite the tatoo.  Small ones that are well done are fine. But they can be overdone for careers in many professions.

2. Whitney05 profile image83
      Whitney05posted 16 years agoin reply to this

Funny indeed. He's never really been the nicest towards me.

I do agree that disagreements in hub comments is fair game, but I think there's a way about it that's not rude.

Ralph Deedsposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Whitney, my recollection is that you were the one, or perhaps Helenathegreat, who started applying the term "ignorant" to my comments disagreeing with you. I don't recall making any ad hominem remarks toward you apart from pointing out that you misspelled a word or something AFTER you had accused me of being ignorant. Why don't you go back and review your posts. I think you'll find that I disagreed strongly with your comments about pit bulls. But I don't recall anything of the type referred to in the link above that starts this topic.

6. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 16 years ago

You may have received an apology, but it wasn't from me.  Since you brought it up, I think it's fair to post what the comments were so people can make their own judgement:

"Big tatoos that show aren't a good idea if you expect ever to have a conventional career. The older generation is very prejudiced against tatoos, not to mention body piercing."

"Here's a little advice from someone probably old enough to be your grandfather: If you think someday you may apply for a humdrum job get small tatoos and put them where they don't show when you're dressed for job interviews. The older generation is quite prejudiced against tatoos."

"Ps. We are even more turned off by body piercing."

7. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

I don't see Ralph talking about hub etiquette here.

8. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 16 years ago

There does seem to be a fair lack of true courtesy in the forums, but I would hardly say Ralph Deeds is the cause of that.

I have tattoos and never once has Mr. Deeds in any way shape or form come off as insulting or negative.  If he has an opinion on them that differs from mine, he is welcome to it as I am not a self-assigned thought police.

Have to admit, I'm too old to like the body piercing.  Seeing a nose ring or lip ring on someone makes me think of pigs on platters at Viking feasts.  To me, those kind of face piercings look like some form of self-mutilation.  I'm not fond of the burnings thing the kids do now either, burning scars for 'body beautification' seems less than beautiful to me.

However I recognize that it's just my opinion and I don't care who does what to their appearance as long as it doesn't affect me.  I might voice my opinion, as now, in some discussion where it's directly topical, but other than that, I doubt many would know or care about my opinion on pretty much any matter.

As to anyone stepping in and apologizing for Mr. Deeds, I would hope that is completely untrue.  Ralph is a gentleman and a hero and a revolutionary in his heart.  For as long as I've known him, there is nothing about Ralph Deeds that should be apologized for.

Ralph, you are and remain a gentleman and a scholar, to me.

9. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 16 years ago

Oh and on the topic of groups of people attacking one lone and they think vulnerable individual online, which I see now is the main topic.

You'd think anyone would be ashamed to be part of trying to make someone else's life miserable simply for the entertainment value or for little power rushes to assuage their own malformed ids or egos.

The Megan Meier's suicide should be a real heads up that cyberharassment on the internet is no nicer than a group of psychos bullying someone in person. 

Unenforceable laws are being passed to deal with cyberharassment but what it really takes to stop that stuff up is for the community it appears in to discourage it and to ostracize those who take part in it.

10. Maddie Ruud profile image71
    Maddie Ruudposted 16 years ago

I'm fine with people posting comments like Ralph's on my hubs, disagreeing with what I've presented or expressing an opinion I might not share.  The only comments I've really had that bothered me were personal attacks, or the one hubber who decided to perform some sort of online exorcism on me in the comments section of one of my diet reviews...

11. profile image0
    Hovalisposted 16 years ago

The article states that they had no way of knowing if those blog posts contributed to the suicide. Perhaps they should check in their archives as well for maligning newspaper articles, because all the arguments they used for the blogs can be also said for online newspapers. After all Archive.org crawls all of these sites and makes a back-up. Their articles are there in perpetuity as well.

The Myspace case is different. It was a social networking site instead of a news/opinion piece site. There was direct interaction in the MySpace case. The author of this particular article was pushing it to find a connection, and it showed. No proof. Nothing to go off. In a way just as bad as the blogs that they are making the accusation against.

As for HubPages, by comparison with many other sites I've been at this site isn't hostile in the least.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)