Madness in March

Jump to Last Post 1-29 of 29 discussions (50 posts)
  1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

Who else is tired of this annual "March Madness?"..an affliction that's takes over most males for the entire month.
    You can't have a conversation, go out or even make ask questions about their favorite teams.
    I know there are women like the games as well, but they will talk and watch at the same time...

1. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image74
      BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I guess you were not among the millions who just saw Michigan State beat Ohio State for the Big 10 Championship.

Real soon now we'll be finding out who is going to the big dance.

So what are you watching tonight, Desperate Housewives?

1. Stacie L profile image88
        Stacie Lposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm not an airhead,if that's what you're implying..

BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, not at all.

My 18-year old daughter was watching Desperate Housewives last night, and she is a lot smarter than me.

She will, however, be doing a bracket.

Do you have yours ready?

2. charmike4 profile image65
    charmike4posted 12 years ago

In Adelaide, South Australia we also have March Madness...but of a different kind.  Our city is rather boring so the State Government decided to load March with every event imaginable.  In March we have:

*The Adelaide Festival (arts)
    *Adelaide Fringe (comedy & avante garde arts)
    *Clipsal 500 - car racing similar to NASCAR but on a street track
    *Adelaide Cup horse racing (being held today)
    *Final games of the A-League Soccer and NBL Basketball
    *Start of the AFL australian rules football season

Then we have nothing for the rest of the year! And you thought you had it bad!!

3. Stacie L profile image88

I guess I'm wondering how men could be so fascinated with sports that they place too much importance on an event. I do understand this basketball tournaments and have watched it myself,but it's not life and death.

1. I am DB Cooper profile image63
      I am DB Cooperposted 12 years agoin reply to this

March Madness is about gambling and ego as much as it's about college basketball. Most guys I know don't even follow college basketball too closely during the regular season other than their favorite team. I mean, who has time to follow a few hundred different D1 teams? March Madness trims that field down to 65, and guys (along with plenty of gals) will attempt to show off their sports-predicting prowess with their brackets. With all the various pools these brackets are entered in, March Madness becomes a collection of private lotteries with some skill involved.

4. profile image58
    pgornerposted 12 years ago

It's revenge for Dancing With the Stars and Good Wife.

5. wavegirl22 profile image47
    wavegirl22posted 12 years ago

As a fan of sports I must say that March Madness is fun to watch and a welcome activity after feeling the emptiness from the end of the football season.

6. Stacie L profile image88

gamblers will bet on anything...wink

7. leros003 profile image59
    leros003posted 12 years ago

This is a time for gamblers like you said.  I do a bracket every year, but don't put money on it and really don't care who wins.  I just graduated college and didn't care for it then so I really don't care for it now.  It seems to take up the entire month though haha

8. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 12 years ago

My interest in MM has decreased.  I think college basketball is realky feeling all of the early departures to the NBA.

9. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image74
    BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 12 years ago

Apparently President Obama is quite interested in the madness of March. And I am not talking about the Republicans.

There he is in Dayton, Ohio, at the Western Kentucky vs. Mississippi Valley State game.

Who cares about the economy or war or abortion at this time of year?

10. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image74

Wow, what an incredible game.

The president got even more excited than he does when one of the Republican candidates says something totally stupid.

11. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image74

So far I'm on track to win $5,000,000.

2 for 2.

12. jeolmoz2 profile image55
    jeolmoz2posted 11 years ago

The Dance is mad, mad race to the NCAA Basketball Title and every team has a shot. There will be Giant Division I Teams seeded at the top of the tournament brackets like always, but Cinderella Teams will be hunting them down like that Hot Girl on Resident Evil....That's the fun part, predicting who will fall
    http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7748121_f248.jpg

13. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image74
    BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 11 years ago

This is going to be the maddest March Madness ever. We are going to see more lower seeded teams win than ever. No clear favorite like last season.

14. jeolmoz2 profile image55

Coach K has been running Duke Basketball flawlessly for more than thirty years and has been personally selected to defend the honor of United States Basketball in more than one occasion. He conducts interviews, after a win or a lost, with the same gentleman's dignity.

Personally, I feel that his greatest accomplishment to date is the fact that he has been able to remain friends with that sociopath, Bobby Knight for all these years.
    http://s3.hubimg.com/u/7761430_f248.jpg

BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, Bobby Knight might be a nut case, but he did coach the last undefeated team in men's college basketball, and there won't be one this year.

So there is something to be said for madness, especially in March.

15. jeolmoz2 profile image55

Cinderella Teams r hunting down the Top Seeds like that Hot Girl on Resident Evil hahaha

You seem to be obsessed with the Hot Girl on Resident Evil.

Go Duke! They have the hottest cheerleaders.

16. jeolmoz2 profile image55

Cinderella going to the Final Four...Congratulations to the Wichita State Shockers...living up to their nicknames!
    http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7840165_f248.jpg

17. profile image0
    mts1098posted 11 years ago

the frozen four is where the real fun is

To be played at the home of the Pittsburgh Penguins, who have won 15 in a row. The only thing the Penguins have lost lately is Sidney Crosby's teeth.

Back to the topic, man that Syracuse zone looks tougher than ever.

Great games today. Michigan vs. Florida and Duke vs. Louisville. I'll take Wolverines and Blue Devils, but what do I know. Not much, according to my bracket.

1. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My beloved Ducks fell to Louisville on Friday, but I'm still afflicted with the madness of March.  How 'bout that Russ Smith?  Awesome, just awesome.

18. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 11 years ago

Hey Duke!

Duke made me puke. I don't know who to root for now. Syracuse I guess.

Wow, that was one gruesome injury to Ware from Louisville. The kid is a sophomore. Hope he can play again.

1. jeolmoz2 profile image55
        jeolmoz2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

That was the worst injury I've ever seen...even worse than time Joe Theisman got hurt on MNF vs Giants

19. prettydarkhorse profile image62

But they are going against Louisville, hmmm

20. prettydarkhorse profile image62

It is now Louisville, Michigan, Syracuse snd Wichita St.

I was rooting for Duke...my only pick left on my pool sad

21. jeolmoz2 profile image55

Location. It's what separates Wichita State from the other guys. As Kansas' only urban-serving research state university, WSU can offer things the others can't. By combining a traditional college atmosphere with the endless possibilities of the state's biggest city, Wichita State is the only school in Kansas that can provide an educational experience that goes beyond the limits of a typical college town. Bottom line – because we're in Wichita, Kansas, Wichita State students have advantages other students don't. Period.

PS: They've a pretty good Basketball Program too!
    http://s1.hubimg.com/u/7842556_f248.jpg

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Nice smile

22. Alphadogg16 profile image86
    Alphadogg16posted 11 years ago

actually it did remind me of the Joe Theisman injury.....and Lawrence Taylor had about the same reaction as everyone around that Louisville kid. BGJ, science is amazing.....I'm sure that kid will be playing next year.

You're right. They said he can practice again after 6 months. smile

23. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image74
    BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 11 years ago

Hey, and don't forget about the women. There have been some exiting games, what with Louisville beating the favorite Baylor and Brittney Griner. Louisville women are in the Final Four, just like their men.

I like Notre Dame and Skylar Diggins. Also Kayla McBride who is from my neck of the woods.

So for me, I'm rooting for the Fighting Irish women and Syracuse and that zone in the men's.

+++

24. prettydarkhorse profile image62

Should have, could have, nearly an upset. That Louisville is like the Steelers team in the NFL, tough and hard to beat! smile

Wichita fans should be proud of their team smile

25. wavegirl22 profile image47
    wavegirl22posted 11 years ago

Did anyone see the game between Louisville and Wichita which was great. The hug between Kevin Ware and his dad was awesome!

Now its all about Cuse getting the ball to bounce their way!

Wow, how about that kid Henderson for Louisville. A walk-on who barely played during the season and he hit two huge 3s.

The zone was bad to the bone last night.

Should be a great final Monday night. Can the Louisville pressure bother the Michigan guards like it has done to other teams? We'll see.

I just flipped a coin. I'm taking Michigan. I should have flipped a coin to do my bracket.

I'm with u brother...March Madness it's Great Fun To Watch isn't it...PS the recycling truck already picked up my brackets couple days ago hahahaha

2. prettydarkhorse profile image62

It is good to see you wavegirl! I was rooting for Syracuse, flip coin said it is Louisville tonight smile

26. jeolmoz2 profile image55

The 'Finish Line'...March Madness...The mad, mad race for the NCAA Basketball Title is nearly over best of luck to #Louisville & #Michigan
    http://s4.hubimg.com/u/7868335_f248.jpg

Can't wait for football big_smile

Only 17 days and 11 hours until the NFL Draft.

I'll take the Wolverines tonight. I think those Michigan guards can minimize the effectiveness of the Louisville pressure.

Sometimes coin flip is reliable big_smile big_smile big_smile

27. jeolmoz2 profile image55

Congratulations Rick Pitino & his Louisville Cardinals

28. jeolmoz2 profile image55

March Madness Champs!
    http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7870969_f248.jpg

29. jeolmoz2 profile image55

Wow! You know, you're really getting old when guys that you used watch play and admired now seat on the stands watching THEIR! kids play. Congrantulations Mr Crossover, Tim Hardaway & Glen 'The Big Dog' Robinson on your family's sucess
    http://s4.hubimg.com/u/7871971_f248.jpg

Man, that was some exhibition of 3-point shooting by a guy from each team in the first half. I never saw anything like it. Great game.

So tonight we find out if the Louisville women can duplicate the feat.

But I have to pick UConn.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)