Odd Ads on Hubs - ???

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years ago

Is anyone else noticing really odd AdSense ads on some hubs?  I have a few hubs about HIV, and one has an ad with a mug shot of someone who's been arrested.  It's an ad for getting their records cleared up, or something.  Another hub had an equally unrelated ad, and I am now wondering if that can be causing some traffic drops. 

Both of the ones I mentioned are exclusives, and some of those titles are odd, so I'm considering checking those (all my exclusives titles) in case they are off-base enough to have unrelated ads inserted.  I don't know if this would affect traffic, but we have heard it can impact rankings.  Even though we aren't the ones who select the Google ads.

1. Simone Smith profile image87
      Simone Smithposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ads aren't just contextually matched to pages; sometimes they're responding to cookies you have based on where you've been. I, for example, see TONS of diamond and jewelry ads because I like to blow off steam by looking at shiny things online.

So it might be that you've visited someplace online that has triggered something to make you a target for those odd ads.

2. Theophanes profile image88
    Theophanesposted 10 years ago

I write about a lot of educational and off-beat topics that don't lend themselves to consumerism and most of those have some really weird ads. I think only one of my articles, about cages, actually had an appropriate ad... for a cage. I think it's a fairly common issue.

3. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 10 years ago

Uh ohhhh, Marcy....

lol

Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Dang.  My life of crime finally caught up to me.  I'd better start looking at diamonds, like Simone prefers.

4. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 10 years ago

Is there some way to block being followed round like this?

I am still being persecuted by items I researched and either bought or decided not to buy a year ago! It is highly irritating to have what is now totally irrelevant material thrust in my face all the time!

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Check your privacy settings in your Google account and turn off tracking.

I just checked mine the other day, and when you read the fine print, Google now tells you that search engines pretty much ignore that now.  We can run, but not hide.

2. tamron profile image67
      tamronposted 10 years agoin reply to this
  5. Hollie Thomas profile image61
    Hollie Thomasposted 10 years ago

WA, I was still seeing ads for holidays in Kefalonia four months after my return. Adsense are very, very slow on the uptake!

6. Kaffeeschnueffler profile image60
    Kaffeeschnuefflerposted 10 years ago

Terrible - negative sense - translation! Better leave it. It hurts my language feelings :-((

7. theweaksend profile image60
    theweaksendposted 10 years ago

If you have a Google account(or are logged into Gmail at all) then sometimes you will see ads based on your recent searches. If you log out of your Google account you will see a considerably lower amount of these "personalized" ads. You will still see some, but those you can only get rid of by clearing your browser cookies on a regular basis, or by blocking them completely. I agree, sometimes Google is awful at deciding what kinds of ads you should be seeing but what they're doing is harmless and unless the ads are disturbing you I wouldn't bother with it. Your readers aren't seeing the same ads that you are anyway.

8. Rebecca Furtado profile image61
    Rebecca Furtadoposted 10 years ago

Surprised that a hub about an STD got to display ads at all. I did one on comprehensive sex education and it got the ad ban. It is so stupid. There is nothing unseemly about talking about sex education.

I agree, Rebecca.  I think those filters are far more literal than we need.  I used to manage a City-owned HIV clinic, and we had (as, I assume, most clinics dealing with STDs do) containers of condoms for people to take.  The person who did our purchasing continually got frustrated because the City's Internet filters wouldn't let her go to the websites where she could place bulk orders for new supplies.

2. Theophanes profile image88
      Theophanesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have had a number of articles with the same problem... They changed what they allow. Now it says you can not use actual medical terms for any reproductive parts and I even had one article ad banned because I titled it "battle of the sexes" - which is going beyond stupid if you ask me. I had to retitle it. But yeah... Between this and banning for petty cursing in my satirical articles I have been having a hell of a time here. It didn't used to be like this. There is nothing "bad" about what I am writing either - the reproductive lives of animals, the controversy over transvaginal probing, how suicide cults draw people in (had to take that one down entirely.) etc. Very disappointed in HubPages, it is slipping down a very slippery slope.

1. Becca's Blog profile image59
        Becca's Blogposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Guess I won't write about reproductive cancers. GEEZ, Think they need to have human editor decide in Hub violate their content standard, not just a filter.

1. Theophanes profile image88
          Theophanesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

They'll usually allow for a Hub to be published and possibly even listed if it is educational but they disallow ads on ones that mention reproductive parts or other banned words. I was unable to edit out certain words in two of my articles Nature's Most Extreme Dads, and one on women's rights, so they are up now for the public to read for free. That being said I am not editing any of my old articles anymore because what used to be OK isn't anymore and they keep catching me for it... and it's seriously annoying me. There's only so many clever euphemisms I can use before I start tweaking.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Not really, it's just being ultra-careful.  One of HubPages's competitors, Wizzley, lost their Adsense for several weeks recently - and all because one member uploaded some graphic images.   

If HubPages lost their Adsense, no one would be able to show ads here (it would halt the HP Ads program too) and that would be the end of the site.  In their shoes, wouldn't you be ultra-careful, too?

1. Becca's Blog profile image59
          Becca's Blogposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thing is I wanted to do a series of hubs from the prescpective of someone who have worked in a Women's clinic . I will not be able too. sigh.. too bad . I will just blog it somewhere else. I hate Yahoo Voices because the publishing platform is lame. I have a lot of stuff there , Too bad we are not allowed to move stuff either. This is a much better platform for most of itl.

3. jenb0128 profile image90
      jenb0128posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Another example of the silly ad blocks - I started to write a hub about the science of why birds poop so much, and there was an ad block warning on it. I never would have thought that bird poop was a taboo subject!

9. profile image0
    healthylife2posted 10 years ago

I did have the same unrelated ads about clearing arrest records. I thought that maybe I was seeing that ad because I was looking up a case about a former trainer at my gym that got arrested for "inappropriate actions". I thought different people see different ads but not really sure how that works.

10. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 10 years ago

When I was looking up vitamins, ads followed me everywhere, especially on HubPages.. I think it is over. as I turned off Google history.

11. A K Turner profile image62
    A K Turnerposted 10 years ago

Basically whenever you go to a website you leave a footprint. Google then uses this footprint to advertise stuff to you. I have adverts from websites I have actually been on, for products I have just been searching for. It will change from person to person, but it is basically targeted advertising. If you clear your browsing history the adverts will be less targeted too.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)