Arrogance -- is it always a bad thing?

Jump to Last Post 1-32 of 32 discussions (108 posts)
  1. Aya Katz profile image85
    Aya Katzposted 14 years ago

I've often been accused of being arrogant, and it's usually by people who disagree with me about something. I've noticed that some of my favorite historical personages have also been accused of arrogance. What exactly is arrogance? And is it always bad?

Is there any non-pejorative way to say that someone is arrogant? Can you say, for instance, "I admire your arrogance"?

1. andromida profile image55
      andromidaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes I  admire arrogance if it is expressed as a true self confidence.

2. alekhouse profile image71
      alekhouseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think substituting the word confidence is much less pejorative. As in: "I admire your confidence".

3. anjalichugh profile image68
      anjalichughposted 14 years agoin reply to this

To me 'arrogance' is somewhat synonymous with 'dogmatism' which is, more often than not, disliked by people. Arrogance does involve 'firm conviction' which, of course, is the upside but I believe that one can hold on to one's views without projecting arrogance and at the same time show some respect for the views of others as well. It, however, does not mean that one has to agree with the other person's view point but there is a way to show disagreement without creating unpleasantness. smile

4. profile image0
      Iðunnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I say it all the time.  I like arrogance in most people.

5. Harvey Stelman profile image59
      Harvey Stelmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lets be honest, it all depends on time, place and situation. We've all been arrogant at sometime.

2. LRobbins profile image44
    LRobbinsposted 14 years ago

Hmmm, interesting question.   To me being arrogant means that you make other people feel bad about themselves without appearing to value their opinion (not that you have to agree with them).  I think it's all in the way something is said.  In my humble opinion (trying not be arrogant smile, arrogance is not a good thing, but confidence and assertativeness are good, but they walk a fine line with arrogance.

1. onthewriteside profile image59
      onthewritesideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well said!  I would have to agree with this assessment...I thinks it's all in the way one comes across.

3. Teresa McGurk profile image60
    Teresa McGurkposted 14 years ago

Sometimes thinking clearly appears to be thinking at light speed (from someone else's perspective).  It can frustrate them to realize or understand that they are operating at a slower speed (this sounds really arrogant, doesn't it?).  I am accused of being arrogant when I know what I'm doing but for important reasons (deadlines, safety, etc) don't have time to explain it with pictures and diagrams. 

Now I make a conscious effort to mask this tendency by questioning folk (if there's time to do it this way) until they come to the right conclusions, and get them to think it's their idea in the first place.  Saves hassle, and some ill-feeling. Is that arrogant of me? 

Positive arrogance is confidence, and if people trust you, they think "oh, so-and-so is so capable and confident."  However, if they don't know you well enough to trust you, or (sometimes) if you are a woman (sorry, but it is sometimes the case) then they think you are arrogant.

It's their perception, either way.  We can't control what folk are going to think.  All we can do is let our actions speak for us in situations that need diplomacy.

1. Capable Woman profile image60
      Capable Womanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Word up, sister! All so true.

2. Vishal Parekh profile image61
      Vishal Parekhposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank, I was looking for that kind of answer.

Many times people call me arrogant, even if we are communication by mail they call me the see arrogance in me.
      but i tell them that "I am not arrogant I am focuced"

4. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

Arrogance isn't so bad when you've got the minerals to back it up. Thats the way I see it.

5. Anti-Valentine profile image76
    Anti-Valentineposted 14 years ago

Arrogant people don't usually care what others think anyway.

6. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

True arrogance in the pejorative sense is actually insecurity masking as confidence.  I deal with quite a few personalities in this mode (I'm thinking of a certain chef I work with who is all about the narcissistic and his own self-promotion).

This is a different thing than just using what you were given, asking good questions, being interested and passionate in life, expression, discussion, displaying ambition or any of a number of things people may see, for lack of a better term, as "uppity."

Yes, Teresa is right.  Women of a certain independence and presence of mind get this a lot.  And it isn't and should not be your issue.  They are displaying their own insecurity if they choose to perceive you as such.

One can only go so far in making others feel 'comfortable' (and I believe that to be a decent human thing to do).  If they cannot pick up the figurative ball from there, there's nothing more you really can do.  You do learn, sometimes, that diplomacy, or as I like to call it--enlightened Machiavellian-ism--has its place!

1. Teresa McGurk profile image60
      Teresa McGurkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

(I Love that -- lol!)

I realize sometimes that other folk have been patient with me (when I've forgotten the same detail for the nth time) or explain stuff to me patiently and kindly.  I try to be more like them.

7. Lady_E profile image63
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

Arrogant people come across in a bad light. The trait doesn't make people receptive to them and its a turn-off.

Sadly, some people's actions can be mis-interpreted as Arrogance, even though they weren't intended to be.

Your last question: You can't say "I admire your arrogance" cos its a negative trait.

8. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Arrogant is generally always a negative thing.  What happens (as Lita suggested, especially for women) is that some people see arrogance when it isn't there.

The arrogance issue is once with which I've always battled, both in person (sometimes, and with some people) and in my writing.  I know all the areas in which I have "borderline to no" knowledge, so I remain fairly quiet when those areas are being discussed (or I'll at least say, "I don't know enough to have an opinion").  So, if I'm talking about it or writing about it, it means I know what I'm talking about.  I'm someone who educates myself, researches, listens, and has a certain amount of experiences in x number of areas.  I don't say I'm sure unless I know it's based on "good information".  If I'm not sure I'll say it. 

What happens then is that, in general, if I'm having a substantial discussion on something I'm pretty sure about I'm what I'm saying.  A lot of people don't like sureness (and I've got a look that makes me people like it even less; I don't come across as looking authoritative or intimidating).  So, sometimes people who would be ok with sureness in a 6-foot, deep-voiced, guy are not ok with the same sureness in a woman with a "little" voice.  It's as is subconsciously people think some other "types" don't have a right to their sureness.

As a result, I often find myself being particularly "folksy" and friendly, just to make sure people know I'm not arrogant.  That backfires, though, because then they REALLY underestimate one's intelligence.  The only other option is to just act sure and risk being seen as arrogant, which allows the other person to then not like you even if, in reality, you're not really arrogant at all.  The moral to the story is women (and some more than others) can't win sometimes.  hmm

9. Aya Katz profile image85

Thanks, everyone. I'm glad to see that my experiences with this concept are not at variance with yours. Lita, Teresa and Lisa, you've described what I've come up against.

I think it may be women who get this label more often, though I think it's possible for a man who is not seen as particularly assertive to end up being labeled that way when he does express a confident opinion which is at variance with conventional views.

Any men have this experience?

1. profile image0
      dennisemattposted 14 years agoin reply to this

men areonly called arrogant by women. And they dont care.  wink
      just kidding. My personal opinion is...arrogance IS bad. But often you will get called arrogant, when you are not. Being right, and assertive in your beliefs is a good thing. People who feel bad about themselves will call that arrogant. (I think I keep spelling that wrong? sorry...) I have read alot of your posts and comments and some of your huns, I wouldnt call you arrogant at all. there is a big difference between self assured and that.... other word I cant spell.  smile

Aya Katzposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Denise, thanks! However, I've NEVER seen arrogant used in a way that made me agree with the person who used it. So if there is a bad kind of arrogance, maybe it never gets the label.

10. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Aya, I've been giving this some thought for a while. The working hypothesis that I have now is - I am being arrogant when I believe my opinion on the matter in question is the only true one. smile

Okay, Misha, I recognize this line of thought. Some people voice this accusation using the rhetorical question: "So you think you have a monopoly on the truth?"

I never understood that one, either. The truth is the truth. Sometimes we are right. Sometimes we are wrong. Sometimes we are sure about something. Sometimes we're not so sure.

But if you happen to believe that something, two plus two is four, for instance, is true, does that make you arrogant?

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, if you do not allow for it to be three or five for other people or under other circumstances smile

Just an example - two liters of water and two liters of sugar together are much less than four liters smile

But there's a still a right and a wrong in your examples, Misha. One can be right or wrong about mixing water and sugar, but the facts don't alter.

If someone is mistaken about what happens when sugar and water are mixed, surely that doesn't make him arrogant, either.

1. Misha profile image63

The fact that s/he is mistaken does not make him arrogant. Insisting on having THE TRUTH does. smile

Okay. But then ... supposing someone insists on something being true, and it is? In that case, is it still arrogance.

I find it hard to accept that arrogance depends on the truth value of the thing being asserted. If it does, then being arrogant is a little like being wrong and not knowing that you're wrong.

1. Misha profile image63

Yep, for me it is still arrogance. For me it is not about BEING right or wrong, it is about FEELING being right. smile

But there's a kind of exaltation that comes over a person when he thinks he's discovered the truth about something that wasn't known before. It's a kind of "Eureka!" moment. I agree, one isn't being humble at that moment. Humility and exaltation just don't mix.

I suppose, in a case like that, one should dance a jig privately, but present a sober face to the public?

2. profile image0
              pgrundyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Weirdly, I agree with Misha on this. It isn't having a different answer or even having what you are absolutely certain and confident is the right answer, it's insisting that the other person defer to your 'rightness' long past the the point where that person haas said 'no thank you.'

It's a matter of respect, IMO. To respect another person doesn't mean you agree with that person, but it does mean that at some point you acknowledge that in spite of your disagreements you recognize the other person as valid and worthy as a human being. Arrogant people cross some kind of invisible line and manage to convey that others are worth less if they do not see the rightness of the arrogant person.

My dictionary says this about the word "arrogate," from which the word "arrogant" derives.

"To arrogate is to take on a right or responsibility to which one is not entitled."

So, in the context of these forums and HP, I personally find men and women arrogant when they presume to take away my right to think for myself and take on the responsibility of substituting their thinking for mine, as if I don't want to keep that responsibility for myself or am incapable of handling such a responsibility.

Often people are called arrogant because they lack manners. They aren't really arrogant, they just don't know how to talk with other human beings without pissing them off.

1. Misha profile image63

Something must be really wrong - we find ourselves in agreement too often lately lol

2. darkside profile image66
          darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Would it make me arrogant if I pointed out the fact that sugar is measured in kilograms (or if you prefer pounds) and not liters?

Liters are used to measure volume, not weight.

1. Misha profile image63

Well, everybody is free to choose whatever way of measurement they want I guess. For the purpose of my example it was important to use volume measures, not weight. In terms of weight one can't really show that two and two does not always equal four without resorting to Relativity Theory - which is way to complicated for a forum post smile

1. darkside profile image66
              darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A kilo of flour is going to be a kilo of flour, whether it's sifted or not. I wouldn't ask for a liter of flour.

Is your sugar brown sugar, raw sugar, white sugar, caster sugar or icing sugar? A kilo of each is going have different volumes. And if you tried to measure them by the liter you'd end up with different weights.

I'd avoid giving analogies that requires an illustration that is based on flawed information.

Now you can either accept what I've had to say, or you can continue to deny it and demonstrate both ignorance and arrogance wink

1. Misha profile image63

LOL Glen, you either are teasing me or missed my point altogether. Either way I am going to display my arrogance and suggest you swallow all three or so liters of my current example, cause I'm too lazy to think of another one. tongue

2. onthewriteside profile image59

If you went around claiming that 2 + 2 = 5, despite what anyone else said, insisting it was true regardless of the facts, then that would be arrogant!

2. profile image0
      dennisemattposted 14 years agoin reply to this

see, that is what I was trying to say. People get mad when they cant change your mind. But they say arrogant, when its really not. Its self confidence and conviction, both good things. this is the webster definition of arrogant:

"an attitude of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or in presumptuous claims or assumptions"

I think there is a big difference between "presumptious assumtions", and being right.

Dennisematt, I really appreciate that distinction.

3. Anti-Valentine profile image76
      Anti-Valentineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That could also mean by definition that you're being self-righteous. smile

1. Misha profile image63

Well, self-righteous did not receive much thought from me yet, so I can't agree or disagree smile

11. SweetiePie profile image82
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

Kind of silly to accuse anyone of being arrogant.  I know some people have accused my sister of being arrogant because she reallly does not socialize with people, but in actuality she is just reserved and more introverted. Of course I have known people who say they are proud to be arrogant, and that of course is their perrogrative.

12. profile image48
    CabinGirlposted 14 years ago

I am arrogant and I like it, who says its bad, lifes losers ?

13. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL Aya, I would rather think not of  moment of discovery, but about a conversation some time later. This is when I often catch myself pushing my truth down people throats smile

CabinGirl, who would have thought? wink

1. profile image48
      CabinGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Misha just think ok and so forget that girl Aya, she is such a  tramp ! And a cheap one, she thinks my Captain likes her, as if !

14. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL CG I never forget about one girl for another, I love all girls smile

1. profile image48

Misha trust me that Aya is a little tramp and if I ever meet her I will so punch her for messin with the Captain smile

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
        Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Awww Aya is a lovely girl and doesnt look trashy n trampy in her avatar smile

1. profile image48

Shes messin with my Captain ok, so shes lookin a fight !

2. Misha profile image63

It might be a tricky task CG, I bet Bow will try to defend Aya, and you'll have to mess with him before you get to her wink

1. profile image48

Yeah well if yer reading Aya you know where to find me so bring it on !!!!!!!!!!!!

15. profile image0
    Béla Mongyiposted 14 years ago

There is no such thing as positive arrogance, because arrogance has an added negative quality when compared to something we could call noble attitude. And still arrogance is not a subversion of this latter phenomenon, because it comes from an entirely different source. It can be a lack of confidence but also a lack of intelligence or empathy. Either way, arrogance can't be turned into anything positive, because as I said it's rooted in a negative trait.

Btw, a head-on attack against all falsehood written in these forums can be found here: Julius Evola - Revolt Against The Modern World. If you are arrogant you'll not be able to read it. If you are noble at heart it will change everything.

1. profile image48

Is it just me or are you boring ??

2. Misha profile image63

What an arrogance! lol

16. ledefensetech profile image68
    ledefensetechposted 14 years ago

Every virtue has a defect built in, so that when you take a virtue to an extreme, it becomes a vice.  The vice of confidence is arrogance.

1. profile image0

I think in some cases a thing taken to an extreme can become an art form and I've seen arrogance in that category before.  It's rather alluring.

1. ledefensetech profile image68
        ledefensetechposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Like I've said, I have a problem with arrogance and pride.  The rush of power may be alluring, but I've always regretted feeding into that sense of power.  Rather than a source of strength, it's a source of weakness.  Rather than becoming stronger, in reality, you're becoming numb.

1. profile image0

I agree super arrogance in men makes them vulnerable.  Perhaps it is that vulnerability combined with the confidence that makes them so attractive.  Women approach men from so many angles and maternal is definitely a part of it at times.

I knew women were out to get us.  See I'm not paranoid.  You're not paranoid when people really are out to get you.  lol

1. profile image0

that's what they say... even paranoids have real enemies, lol.

yeah, we're slick that way.  I think it's instinctual. big_smile

1. my-success-guru profile image57
                my-success-guruposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Arrogance is masked insecurity. The highest level of awareness is humility where you can let go of ego because you are secure enough in who you are. Many people who become what they consider successful become arrogant but if they could reach high enough in their development they would come full circle to humility. Arrogance is never good!

That's quite an assumption about arrogance.  Arrogance is a blind spot.  It's not about being afraid you're wrong and hiding it.  It's knowing you're right no matter what the true facts of the matter are.  There's no room for insecurity.  Remember arrogance is the vice of confidence, not insecurity.

1. Misha profile image63

Quite an arrogant statement by my books too tongue

2. my-success-guru profile image57
                    my-success-guruposted 14 years agoin reply to this
                2. earnestshub profile image81
                  earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree a good self worth values others highly too.

17. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 14 years ago

ok, this time I'm really leaving and Misha, ha, I caught that about me driving stock up.  That was mean!!!

Hey I was indicted in driving it down.  How do you think I feel?

18. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

You both are manipulators tongue

And not stock Idunn, oil prices, it's a bit different tongue

19. ledefensetech profile image68

Master manipulator, thank you very much.  Besides I have to practice, you know, keep in the game.

20. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

No objection, I never said I am opposed to it smile

21. onthewriteside profile image59
    onthewritesideposted 14 years ago

Let's say that I was damn certain I was right on something (and this has happened...thanx budweiser) and I refused to listen to anyone claiming otherwise.  In their eyes I would be arrogant.  Now let's say that a while later, I find out that they were all correct and I was wrong.  The first thing I think to myself is, "oh man...I really had that wrong...I must have looked like some arrogant frigging fool!".  But then I admit my error, except that I was wrong and they were right, and sit there red-faced in my own embarrassment.  Does this mean that as a person I am arrogant?

Unless you own up to it, yes.  I've even done that without the help of liquid courage.  But if you have the stones to make such statements in the first place, the least you can do is own up when you're being an a$$.

Oh I agree...what I meant about the "liquid courage" is that this is when I usually act like an arrogant ass.  Depending on the timing of the obvious refutation, I may or may not still be "under the influence"...LOL!  Neverthe less, I will admit defeat...

Sorry, that didn't sound like I thought it.  I meant to say I've made an arrogant ass of myself without the help of liquid courage.

LOL!  Well I'm sure I probably have as well.  Sometimes we can just be so damn sure of ourselves...

22. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

If you still think a person does not change over time - it does tongue

23. ledefensetech profile image68

Logic is, at times, a great way to go wrong with confidence.

Or is it that because we pride ourselves on being logical, that sometimes we let our confidence get in the way in light of a better prepared argument against us?  If we enter a debate with someone whom, at the time is better prepared, we may find ourselves spooging "not so accurate" facts because we are sure we are right but don't have the exact resources at our fingertips to prove it.  This could make us look like total asses too, even if, in the end, we were right all along.

One of the best quotes I've ever heard is "Surprise happens in the mind of the commander".  It captures perfectly our ability to see something, ignore it and still think we've seen everything.  How you react to that phrase is probably the best indicator I know in predicting how someone will react in a crisis situation.  Or any other unexpected situation, for that matter.

LOL!  How true is that?!  I hadn't heard that one before...Kudos!

John Ringo in some of his newer works.  Still he's ex-military so I'd imagine that's a saying making the rounds among our warriors today.

24. Jake Duke profile image60
    Jake Dukeposted 14 years ago

What's it to you? LOL!

25. Aya Katz profile image85

PGrundy, so really, as used here in the Forums to reprimand another poster, "arrogance" just means "you have poor social skills."

1. profile image0

Sometimes. But more often it's a willful lack of respect for the other. The arrogant person is capable of developing social skills but sees no need for social skills.

Arrogance is really a form of narcissism. I think you could accurately call it "aggressive narcissism." Self is all the arrogant person needs.

While each person is free to see that quality as admirable, I do not see it that way. I think people need each other, and live best in relationship to each other. I choose to interact with people who show me a least a token measure of respect--respect as in, I see your position though I disagree with it. I see you as separate and valid even though our views differ.

26. Aya Katz profile image85

I agree that we can all improve our social skills with effort, and that the effort is well worth it.

Something to keep in mind, though, is that we don't all start from the same level of skill, and that for some it is an uphill battle to arrive at the same skill level that the average person takes for granted.

Rules of common courtesy that I try to hold myself to include:

* No ad hominem attacks. (That is, I don't attack the character of the person I disagree with. I try to stick to the facts and the abstract underpinnings of an argument. No name calling -- which includes calling someone arrogant, of course.)

* Distinguishing what is a matter of personal preference and what is a matter of immutable fact.

* Acknowledging when I don't know whether a particular alleged fact is true or false.

* Keeping an open mind about different definitions used by people for the same words. (It's a real stumbling block to communication.) When I notice two people use the same word differently, I try to clarify what I mean by the term.

These are good rules that even someone with less than stellar social skills should be able to adopt.

27. Miss Match profile image60
    Miss Matchposted 14 years ago

Theres a fine line called tact,that lies between confidence and arrogance.

Tact is a very finely tuned skill. Many people lack it, despite good intentions. Tact is to normal social skills as absolute hearing is to musical ability.

Surely we can work out some ground rules that everyone can follow, not just those super-socially adept people who have mastered tact?

2. Miss Match profile image60
      Miss Matchposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry Aya Katz  looks like I missed out a large part of my earlier comment...here’s the full comment;)

There’s a fine line called tact that lies between confidence and arrogance. It’s very easy to confuse the two.

A confident person in a discussion for example, tends to acknowledge that everyone in the conversation has both strengths and weaknesses, so will remain humble in both aspects while voicing their opinion. They also know when to end a discussion. An arrogant person on the other hand will highlight weaknesses   only and show themselves as the better person in the conversation. They also usually insist in having the last word.This fine line of tact, is knowing when to end the discussion, before coming off as arrogant. So to answer your question I guess most people would prefer to be called 'confident' rather than ‘arrogant’.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
        Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this
  28. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Also I notice people who might normally lack confidence in real life, suddenly have this burst of expressive mood in forums (like Hubpages) and other online interactive sites ,but in real life social situations might otherwise be meek n passive ( or be a minority group).

I guess for some people its easier to have their say without fear of challenge or any ramifications.

So the majority type thoughts, as close to how they would normally commuincate, and the others like to flex some muscle or their boobs and get in your face  lol

1. profile image0

Yes it almost feels like how people get very aggressive and hostile once they are behind the wheel but face to face not so much. People seem to get a sort of false confidence because the internet feels so anonymous.

29. Aya Katz profile image85

A conversation with multiple partners requires social skills that are harder to master than merely giving a lecture. The shy person at the party will expound on his favorite topic, if given an opening. It may not be aggression or arrogance. It may be the only mode of communication available. That... and silence.

1. profile image0
      Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Do you see yourself as shy, Aya?  I guess I'm just curious.

30. Aya Katz profile image85

Lita, yes and no. Thanks for asking.

I don't find it easy to make small talk, but I'm not shy about expressing my opinion, if asked. Or if I think the conversation is a public one.

1. profile image0
      Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"Small talk" is highly over rated.  I've learned to do it and do it pretty well, but it is also so boring--just a way to make social situations flow better, I guess... And those who truly excel at it, I've found, are usually not that interesting to really talk to anyway, wink.

31. darkside profile image66
    darksideposted 14 years ago

Is arrogance confidence or over-confidence?

Or is it just rudeness.

If I had made my previous comment and went on to imply that Misha was an idiot for not knowing that weight and volume are two different things, that would make me arrogant.

But is arrogance arrogance? Or is it just someones opinion?

I'm sure there are plenty of confident people who are right about the things they stand for who are accused of being arrogant.

Sometimes arrogance can be an "I don't care" attitude. And that may not necessarily come from a bad place. If a person excels at something there will come a time that you'll get some people who want to hate you as much as 'fans' adore you. They could hate you because of success. A person can waste a lot of time on those haters by caring about their opinions, or they could simply have an "I don't care" attitude. Which will quickly be labeled as the person being arrogant.

Personally I don't think 'arrogance' can be neatly confined to a box. It can be used as a weapon by a person or against a person, it can be even be a tool to brush away the ill will that comes with someone elses ignorance. It means many things to many people.

1. Vishal Parekh profile image61
      Vishal Parekhposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Most of time bossy, confident, stubborn people are called Arrogant, Even though they are not Arrogant.

Confidence comes from success, achievements, wins, good deeds.

Confident people have estimated their success and achievements truly so they know how to behave.

Over-Confident people have just over-estimated their success,achievements, position So they so their behaviour is soome times annoying.

Arrogant person has not just over-estimated what they did, but they dont have true knowledge about what they are proud of, they have low self-esteem.
      So people may feel annoyed,depressed and insulted with those kind of people during arguments, disscussion or even while talking with them.

Arrogant people are wasting of time
      but we can cope with over confident people
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

32. La Verne Amigo profile image63
    La Verne Amigoposted 10 years ago

I think arrogance is being overconfident to the point that you only believe to yourself. Maybe it's too much.smile not so sure...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)