Stabbing spree in Texas

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (145 posts)
  1. profile image55
    whoisitposted 11 years ago

Maybe didn't pass the background check for a firearm.
    http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04 … udent?lite

1. Josak profile image60
      Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Given that no one died it seems way better that the firearm alternative.

2. Reality Bytes profile image74
      Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately, nobody else at the scene did either.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Did he kill 26 people?

1. Clint Ward profile image60
        Clint Wardposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You prefer people being stabbed?

1. Josak profile image60

People being stabbed is much better, as seen by the mortality rate.

4. Silverspeeder profile image61
      Silverspeederposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I worked in this store on security at this time and all this happened in 4 minutes
      http://www.independent.co.uk/news/knife … 16971.html
      The system now deems him safe to walk our streets yet the scares still burden those he attacked.
      The real question is "what should we do to protect the public" banning weapons will not stop it, maybe trying to identify those who are most likely to use them would be a better option.
      We hear all to often that these individuals have been identified as having previous issues with mental illness or crime so as a society should we be putting more resources into preventing these individuals?
      I am sure some human rights campaigners would be up in arms about the question i have asked but the problem with human rights is it seems to focus on the wrongdoers rights rather than the victims.
      Here in the UK we have some of the strictest gun and knife controls in the world yet we still have at least 1 death a week from either or both and in most cases the authorities already know the people who commit or are likely to commit such crimes!

1. Don W profile image83
        Don Wposted 11 years agoin reply to this

1) No one is seriously calling for a ban on all firearms, just some common sense measures to reduce the risk of firearms falling into the wrong hands.

2) The fact that a law cannot eliminate a problem does not mean the law should not be created. Laws prohibiting homicide clearly do not eliminate homicide, but that does not mean there should be no laws against homicide.

3) The law alone is not the answer, and I don't think anyone is susggesting it is. Legislation is just one of a number of different measures that can be taken to reduce the risk of mass shootings.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

No fatalities, I note.

1. profile image55
      whoisitposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Then I guess its perfectly alright.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Then I guess you think there is no human state of health other than "dead" and "perfectly alright".

1. profile image55

Then I guess you think I'm talking about their health status when I'm talking about the crime committed. You seem to be ok with stabbing someone.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
            Ralph Deedsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Being stabbed is apparently preferable to being shot full of holes by an an assault weapon.

1. PhoenixV profile image63
              PhoenixVposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Or being droned to death.

2. Clint Ward profile image60

Why is that apparent?

1. Josak profile image60

Because no one died.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Think what he might have done with an AR 14.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

All I said is that they didn't die.

Thus your conclusion that I am in favor of stabbing can only mean you consider every person not "dead" to be "perfectly alright".  Otherwise how would you go from what I said to your conclusion? There is no other way to get there. 

I personally feel there is a whole gradation of experiences between "quite alright" and "dead"--being stabbed and in critical care being towards the "really not very alright at all" end of that spectrum.

1. profile image55

Yep.

4. Clint Ward profile image60
    Clint Wardposted 11 years ago

I think these responses are very strange.

5. Zelkiiro profile image86
    Zelkiiroposted 11 years ago

He stabbed 14 people before anyone was able to muscle him down? What the hell was everyone else doing?!

Running away like they have been told to do all their lives?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80

I'm sure if you had been there you would have stopped him single-handedly.

I would have shot him, so yes.

You think, you might have hidden under a desk. You might have missed, someone else might have been hit by the stray bullet.

No, I don't think I would have hidden under a desk, you might I wouldn't. I am not going to shoot unless I have a clear target and will shoot for center mass. Some people act and some people hide I assume you would fall into the latter category.

1. Josak profile image60

Oh look an internet tough guy big_smile

Is that how you see it? I explained what I would do, what would you do?

1. Josak profile image60

I occasionally open carry if I have to go to the office in the docks at night but I would not be carrying in a college (not that people are allowed into colleges with guns anyway because they might shoot people) so I would have hightailed it like you would not believe a60 year old man can go tongue

2. Jeff Berndt profile image75
                  Jeff Berndtposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol

I prefer the term "interninja."

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80

My point is, we don't always know how we will react in any situation. We may think we know what we will do but we won't know until faced with it.

6. Seth Winter profile image81
    Seth Winterposted 11 years ago

Why aren't the democrats screaming to ban knives? Don't they want our children to be safe?

1. Reality Bytes profile image74
      Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

At the very least, people should be limited to one knife, perhaps no more that four inches in length?

Yeah, we should totally ban knives. We can use our handguns to cut up vegetables for dinner, and we can use our AR-15s or AK-47s to carve up the turkey at Thanksgiving. roll

You obviously don't care about the children.

7. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

Everyone says being stabbed and living is better than being shot and being killed. While logically that makes sense I think there are many victims of crimes who could disagree. After all living with the memories of a horrific crime aren't always easy.
    Taking away guns all together will do very little. Before we know it people will be blowing up schools instead of shooting them up.

Ah... but the key is... living

8. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

But no one... not one single person... is talking about taking all guns away...

1. Seth Winter profile image81
      Seth Winterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Problem here Univited Writer is complete gun control starts somewhere. You pass an anti-gun law and you have to understand that the laws will only get stricter. (Give a Mouse a cookie, and He'll ask for a glass of milk).

While the current administration claims it won't go for peoples guns, it has made many other campaign promises that have been broken...including Obama claiming he won't enact any new gun laws if re-elected.

1. Josak profile image60

Textbook use of the Camel's Nose fallacy, invalid by it's own nature.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camel%27s_nose

You mean Josak you can't think of a single example of snowball effect lead to more restrictions?

We've argued before Josak. I'm a fan of using History from WW2 era...more specifically the Nazi party...why? Well that era has it all, gun control, mass discrimination, snowball effect/Camel Nose (interesting read btw I didn't know about that specific phrase). But I digress..

Since the snowball effect is clearly a fallacy care to explain that to anyone living during the Holocaust? More specifically the restrictions the Jews underwent once they were alienated by the government..it seems that at least in that example it started off small and grew to a much bigger problem...

So how exactly is the Snowball effect a fallacy?

1. Cody Hodge5 profile image68
            Cody Hodge5posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Its probably because we live in a democracy. There is a YouTube video talking about how Muslims immigrating to France and England will turn the countries into Islamic republics. Clearly, that hasn't happened.

If anything, I'd be more worried about living in a Christian theocracy in 20 years the way conservatives want things done in this country.

And what exactly do you fear Cody about living in a Conservative America?

More people with guns? Countries with less strict gun laws show to have less crime then those who have banned guns.

http://christopherfountain.wordpress.co … hats-next/

I'll try to keep this under 300 pages.......there are just too many reasons why conservatives should stay miles away from politics.

Let's see...

Conservatives brand themselves as compassionate people who think that everyone should have the same rights except for when they....

-Ban Gay Marriage

-Try To Circumvent Voting Laws and Tell Wild Stories About Voter Fraud When They Don't Win

-North Carolina Wants To Pass A Bill That Would Violate The Constitution

-North Dakota Is Passing Legislation That Would Ban Abortion In The State Once Again Circumventing The Constitution

-Don't See Any Reason Why Background Checks Should Be Necessary To Purchase A Gun In ALL Cases

A group that has no clue why everyone deserves the same rights under the law regardless of their skin color, gender or sexual orientation. A group that cries bloody murder when they can't concepts from the Bible into the law of the land....

Should I continue?

Google the difference between conservative/libertarian values and Republican. You stated lots of Republican examples. And I'm curious what North Carolina law are you talking about.

"A group that has no clue why everyone deserves the same rights under the law regardless of their skin color, gender or sexual orientation. A group that cries bloody murder when they can't concepts from the Bible into the law of the land...."
                  -This would be the liberals defense over racial discriminating law of Affirmative Action?
                  -Guess who started the KKK?

1. Josak profile image60

Confederate loyalist soldiers started the KKK let me guess they were liberals right? tongue

2. Cody Hodge5 profile image68

Ugh.....the democrats were the conservatives back then

Banning abortion is circumventing the constitution, is abortion mentioned in the constitution?

You ever heard of Roe v Wade?

2. Don W profile image83
            Don Wposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Seth, the comparison of the U.S. government in 2013 to the Nazi party in 30's Germany, and your suggestion that modern gun safety measures equate to the restrictions on Jews before the Holocaust is despicable and idiotic. Despicable not only because Senators and Representatives on both sides of the aisle no doubt have relatives who fought and died fighting the Nazis (giving you the freedom to make such a silly comparison) but also because it uses the genocide of 10 million people for political points scoring. And foolish because it displays an ignorance of historical facts.

The Allies instigated gun control in Germany after WWI (the Germans had just caused a war that killed 16 million people) as part of the Treaty of Versaille. It had already been implemented by the Weimar Republic when Hitler came to power. Hitler's own gun policy relaxed controls on gun ownership for German citizens. The 1938 "German Weapons Act" deregulated the buying and selling of all rifles, shotguns and ammunition.

What the debate needs is sensible people, with an appreciation of both sides of the argument, making useful contributions. From your comment it seems you think the exact opposite is true.

1. Jeff Berndt profile image75

Facts, ftw!

Nope, but that doesn't stop idiots from pretending that some communist boogeyman is "comin' fer yer gunz!"

It's the best ad campaign Smith&Wesson never paid for. They're laughing all the way to the bank at how these ignorant paranoids are buying up expensive, not very useful stuff they don't especially need.

It's especially hilarious how proud they are of being played for chumps.

The only ad campaign being bought by the least informed is the one featuring "we only want to do background checks and close the gun show loophole" that doesn't really exist. And Obama is the best gun salesman this country has ever had, he should be proud.

Then by all means, tell me what new restrictions on gun ownership have been implemented since President Obama took office in 2008.

Seriously, list them. 'Cos I really hate being wrong. If Obama has implemented new gun regulations, I want to know about them, so I can stop saying that he hasn't implemented any new gun restrictions, and in fact has loosened gun regulations, signing legislations that allows concealed carry in our national parks.

I've been paying close attention, but I suppose that it's possible that a new restriction on our gun rights could have been passed while I wasn't looking. Please, seriously, if you know of a new federal gun regulation that's been passed in the last 6 years, let us all know about it. Oh, and please tell us the sponsors of the bill, and who voted for it, and when the President signed it? Or if you don't want to do all that copying-and-pasting, please just link us to the bill in the congressional record.

I'm sure someone as educated and well-informed as you are will be able to find all those new gun restrictions in a heartbeat, right?

I'm educated enough to know that I never said that he had enacted any gun restrictions, would you mind very much showing me where I said otherwise?

Oh, so you admit that nobody's coming for your guns? Good.

No I do not admit that, why would I? I have no crystal ball to see into the future. I know that Obama with his usual highhandedness is lying and saying we need more background checks to close the gun show loophole, the non-existent gun show loophole. Why would he do that?

"No I do not admit that, why would I?"

Well, since before Obama's election, we've been warned that "they" would be "coming for our guns," but in six years (unless there's been a regulation passed that neither of us knows about), exactly nothing has been done to restrict gun sales or ownership, and in fact, we can now carry them in national parks when we couldn't do that before Obama signed the law that allows it.

"I know that Obama with his usual highhandedness is lying"
                  Oh, you just know he's lying, eh? How? Crystal ball? Magic mirror? Gut feeling? Ouija board? Or are you just making stuff up?

"Why would he do that?"
                  You're begging the question: you expect me to concede the point that Obama is lying, and you've presented no evidence to support it.

So my answer to your (rigged) question is this: He isn't doing that.

Basically, you've got no evidence to prove your claims. Ergo, your claims are garbage.

Yes he is. http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 … w-loophole

Your ignorance of this fact is quite astounding.

Guess you don't want to answer those type of questions.

Or, maybe I've got stuff to do other than hang around on the forum all the time.
                  smile

9. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

Godwin's Law... argument is over smile

So your response to the snowballing effect of persecution of the Jews from the Germany Government, which eventually lead to herding Jews like animals into large ovens is to state that...really? Good argument there (heavy sarcasm).

But the true funny thing here...is well...wiki it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

I guess you should have read the whole law before posting that... ;-)

"The law and its corollaries would not apply to discussions covering known mainstays of Nazi Germany such as genocide, eugenics or racial superiority, nor, more debatably, to a discussion of other totalitarian regimes or ideologies,"

And it even covers what you did Uninvited Writer :-)

"While falling afoul of Godwin's law tends to cause the individual making the comparison to lose their argument or credibility, Godwin's law itself can be abused as a distraction, diversion or even as censorship, fallaciously miscasting an opponent's argument as hyperbole when the comparisons made by the argument are actually appropriate."

Since my post was about the snowballing effect of the persecution law against the Jews which eventually lead to their genocide I think I can safely say I didn't run afoul of Godwin Law...but stating...and then saying argument over...well foul play, try again.

I didn't see that in the Thatcher is Hitler thread. I guess you trot it out when it serves your purpose.

I have personally never compared her to Hitler and won't, it's ridiculous. The same as people bringing up Nazi Germany any time someone wants to have better background checks on guns. Last time I looked, Canada and most other Western countries have not become members of the Third Reich.

I didn't say you did, but you didn't introduce Godwins law into the mix either. As for background checks there is not a single bill before congress that is solely a background check bill, they all ban some type of weapon.

10. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 11 years ago

I have a question for those who are focused on the statistics for human death, my question is How Much Is a Single Life Worth?

11. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 11 years ago

Threads that devolve to debates about the US constitution, the bible and Adolf Hitler should trigger an forum automatic ban.

12. Clint Ward profile image60
    Clint Wardposted 11 years ago

Just ignore the source and watch the first video its pretty funny.

http://www.infowars.com/californians-si … -firearms/

13. ocbill profile image54
    ocbillposted 11 years ago

If just 2 people (men) approached this guy wielding a box cutter (for christ's sake), I think less than 4 or 5 people would be cut. I guess these were skinny jean wearing guys who just spectate and are not athletic enough to subdue him. I just could not see this happening in a college class I attended. Like another guy here said, he would not have done that much back in our days.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)