My Hub was unpublished because I watermarked my photos with my User ID

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (6 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Charlinexposted 11 years ago

Hi,

I wish you will take a close look before you un-publish one of my hubs: http://charlinex.hubpages.com/hub/Sceni … in-Ontario

All my hubs are watermarked by myself with my User ID, to prevent other people from stealing my intellectual property. I trust all my photos are of high quality. If you un-publish my hubs because of my own watermarks, then you are forcing me to leave hubpages.com, unless you can guarantee that none of my images will be stolen. I know you cannot.

All my images are my own photographs, it should be very easy to see if you check with the least due diligence and less judgement.

No, it is not the first time that I get such an email, this issue was discussed with Hub Team before and I received an apology. I do not wish to have to deal with this again.

Besides, you did not even send me a photo which you think may have a problem. But in my case, I have no doubt, because I am 100% certain that I am the creator and copyright holder of all photos in my hubs.

Please confirm one way or the other. Regards.

Charlinex

1. Simone Smith profile image88
      Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Charlinex!

Unfortunately, we ALL watermarked images go against our publishing policies, even if they are your own. More on those rules here: http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Mode … ow-Quality

Sorry for the confusion! ^_^;;

1. profile image0
        Charlinexposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Please see the email from Hub Team on April 22, 2011. I have been watermarking all my images since 2010. If Hub Team wishes to unilaterally change the agreement, it is not fair. In any event, I have written to Mr. Paul Edmondson and asked him to review this matter.

April 22, 2011 email from Hub Team:
        We apologize for our mistake. Since they are your own watermarks and do not obstruct the images, we have republished your Hub.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
          Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm going to be really interested to see what happens with this.

I was surprised to see your post because I was sure I recalled the original discussion on the forums, where we were all bemoaning the fact that HP's rules didn't allow us to put a copyright notice on our images.  The reason was explained: that moderators didn't have time to go checking that the name on the photo was the Hubber's name.  I can see that makes sense

At the time, I suggested that HP allow a copyright notice which used the Hubber's username (which is what you've done).  No checking necessary apart from glancing at the username at the top of the Hub - easy. 

However I'm pretty sure that idea got shot down in flames too, though I can't remember why.  So how you managed to get permission, I don't know!  Good luck with getting this resolved.

1. profile image0
            Charlinexposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The fact is that those images belong to the contributors, do we have any right to our intellectual property? Hubpages is not even a reseller of our images. Almost all credible stock photo agencies and fine art print agencies add watermarks on the image to prevent theft.

I have published 42 hubs with lots of images. I honestly don't have the time to take all my photos down and re-publish them. Some images are buried deeply in various external and internal hard drives. If HP insists on this, I will have to close my account after all outstanding earnings are paid.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
              Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Please don't shoot the messenger! 

I trust you understand why HP doesn't allow any old watermark?  It's because a watermark or a copyright notice could be a sign that a photo has been stolen from a stock photo site.  HP have a small team and don't have the resources to check every photo, hence the blanket ban.  That makes sense, doesn't it? 

If they were going to allow a watermark, the only one they could moderate cheaply and effectively would be the username - which is what you do.  It sounds like a good solution to me.  The other alternative is for HubPages to apply their own watermark to all photos - but that raises another point.

How many other online magazines or newspapers do you see with watermarks on their images?  You're right, stock photo agencies put watermarks on their photos, but that's because they're selling the photos.  I can't think of many websites which watermark the images illlustrating their articles.  So HubPages isn't out of step here.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)