Nullification and Marijuana

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (24 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 11 years ago

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/04/17/d … juana-ban/

The government is corrupt.  It's similar to living with a large group of people; there will always be those who go out of their way to be offended, who are incapable of rational thought, who are generally unlikable folks.  Then, there are the folks we all like.

When it comes to drug laws, the government is the unlikable folk, who believe it is their supreme duty to police every action of every person on every corner of the globe.  It is insane, inane, moronic, imbecilic, ignominious, sanctimonious, and all together puerile to imprison people for smoking weed.  In times like these, southern legal theory appears glorious.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image76
      Kathryn L Hillposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sooner, I always wonder how old you are.
      I grew up in the 70's when I had to take token tokes of pot to be cool. (Cuz I had to "put down"... I wanted to make it through school and I was stupid on pot: Stupid... as in self-induced mental retardation.)
      We smoked to to be hip...
      and in my mind, "accepted."
      Many of those people I was trying to get accepted by have long since died of drug related deaths.
      Today, I do not care if pot is illegal.
      At all.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image58
        MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Except the huge benefits of pot for treatment of medical issues, or the cheap and green production of paper and fabric... or the fact that billions of dollars is spent each year to track down "hardened criminals" who are generally too fried to be any danger to anything but a bag of Cheetos...

I agree.

1. cheaptrick profile image73
          cheaptrickposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well said.The calming effect of cannabis is just what this country needs at the moment. They should get all those idle crop dusting planes and load them up with the confiscated cannabis they have and have regular flights over trouble areas. We could even use this method abroad! Like the middle east, Afghanistan, Syria...the possibilities are endless. Positive chemical warfare, who would have thought?

That would be awesome.

I think we should plant "smoke bombs" in many organizations.  I'll not list them here for fear of a truly massive political argument... but I do sincerely believe that some homeland "terrorism" of this sort would definitely help smooth matters some.  For the sake of kindness, we should also drop captain crunch cereal and large quantities of jolt cola as well.

2. profile image0
        Sooner28posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've never smoked it, and there are medicinal uses to it.  But I am arguing for something more expansive.

3. innersmiff profile image66
        innersmiffposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You have smoked it of your own volition and obviously had the good sense to not die due to drugs - why is it then that you must legislate the voluntary actions of others?

2. Clint Ward profile image60
      Clint Wardposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Then quit voting for the nanny state.

2. profile image0
    Beth37posted 11 years ago

I have a question about pot. I have never tried it and I haven't been around a lot of ppl who have (or at least we haven't discussed it much.) Anyway, there are some kids at my work that smoke pot. They always have this glassy stare, and no sense of humor and kind of stare off into the distance a lot, and not to be unkind, but come across as pretty dim witted. What I was wondering is, will this wear off when they stop smoking the dope or will they be forever affected?

1. profile image0

It depends how often they smoke it, and whether they smoked it while young.

2. MelissaBarrett profile image58

I smoked quite a bit in my teens.  My IQ results were roughly the same at 17 as they were at 34 (the last time I was tested). 

I know people who are now doctors, teachers and other high-intelligence professions that were passing it in the circle with me who didn't seem to suffer any long term effects.

Its hard to tell if the ones who became criminals, dead-beats and idiots suffered any long term damage... mostly because they are still smoking it.

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image76
      Kathryn L Hillposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Back in the 70's, pot was so much weaker.  The impact of the typical plant was not like it is today.  I have heard that the first couple of inhales produces an almost instant high. So? "It is natural", "It is just a plant." Well, the growers have genetically cultivated the new plants with lots of THC. What are the effects of THC? For one thing it effects the sense of time. Kids are still forming their frontal lobes, (they are not fully formed until an
      adult is 24. This is where the sense of time is situated,)
      So, I wonder if the sense of time is affected.
      I also wonder if it affects the genetic code.  But, it is hard to track the human population to prove this one way or the other.
      It affects the will-center in the brain, as well. It takes away, ambition and will power. Will power and ambition is what makes us successful in life.
      Why risk loosing that? It also changes the personality from what I have observed. It has a very yin influence. Not good for the teeth, either...weakens the gums.

3. profile image0
    Beth37posted 11 years ago

Well that sounds somewhat hopeful I guess... Id hate for them to get "stuck" like this.

Not likely.

There is absolutely no proof that pot causes permanent brain damage.  In fact, studies have proven that it doesn't.

I read the article elsewhere... but I assume WebMd is a reliable enough source?

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news … mage-brain

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Its funny, there's 3 of them and they all have the same personality... or lack there of. The lights are barely on and no one's home. Makes me sad.

Then they are likely actively high.

Give me 2 benedryl and I'd look exactly the same... The next day too.

If they are smoking while working then that's the exact same issue that you'd be looking at with someone coming to work drunk.

I don't smoke it anymore and I'd flip crap if I caught my kids doing it...

However my husband and I pay 150 dollars per month for cosopt and xalatan... when 40 dollars worth of pot would treat his glaucoma MORE effectively and with far fewer side effects.

The makers of xalatan make 1.6 BILLION dollars a year from that drug alone.  That's one medicine used to treat 1 of the forty-odd conditions that medical pot would treat more effectively and again, with fewer side effects.

1. profile image0

Oh, Im so sorry. Is he very young to have glaucoma?

He's forty-three.  He was diagnosed at around 30 I believe. So yeah, he's a little young I guess.

1. profile image0

Wow, I always thought of that as mainly something older ppl get. Well Im sorry... I hope he gets whatever he needs...
                Ill catch up to you tomorrow... Im falling asleep. Night. smile

Night hon smile

2. Reality Bytes profile image74
      Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I wonder the same exact thing for those poor young girls partaking of pucker face?

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRih0x737b9w3obM0xDbIAixCHDw_lsGyaFu2gzJOfKDlrhVOrH

1. profile image0

hahaha, oh my gosh, I hate that. Ive heard it called duck face. Surely they're on something too.

4. innersmiff profile image66
    innersmiffposted 11 years ago

The US government is lying to our faces when it says "...no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States”" as it currently owns the patent for the medicinal properties of cannabis for treating Alzheimer's!!

Who are these fools who pretend to know how to control our lives? Arrest them!

1. profile image0

LOL.  You mean the government would knowingly lie? :p

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)