I think bullfighting is evil.

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (50 posts)
  1. profile image0
    SandCastlesposted 11 years ago

I recently discovered that Orson Welles watched thousands of bullfights. I used to like him, not anymore. He seemed so civilized to me with is poetic speech and charm. But he watched animals die for entertainment. In an interview he said he still watched bullfights (he was an old man) but was getting tired of watching animals die (paraphrasing) and that he wasted his time. It sickens me to think of anyone getting enjoyment from watching an animal being tormented. The poor animals. Humans are sick. Where is the mercy? I am glad that Bullfighting is being banned now in some places. There is nothing impressive about people who can watch something suffer and call it entertainment. They should bow their heads in shame.

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I really hadn't thought about this much.
      You have a point in a way.

But I'm curious as to where you're coming from on this.
      For instance, how do you feel about boxing?
      Race car events which are very dangerous to humans?
      Risky shows like Fear Factor?
      Horse racing?
      Fox hunting?
      Deer hunting?
      Abortion?

1. profile image0
        SandCastlesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't like boxing. I don't like fox hunting. I don't like hunting-but I understand that people need to eat (if it is done in a humane way; don't let the animal suffer). With abortion, only in cases where pregnancy could kill the mother. I don't judge women who have had them; many are traumatized by the experience but it should not be a form of birth control. I don't think entertainment should involve watching things suffer. I believe fox hunting has been banned.

1. profile image0

With regards to race car driving; that is the person's choice. A human makes a choice to drive fast. A bull does not have a choice. A fox does not have a choice. I don't care for Fear Factor--I watched one episode not knowing what it was--I thought it was about facing public speaking. For these people, it is still a choice for them, a choice animals do not get or vulnerable humans.

1. profile image0

With boxing, many of the people who got into it (from my understanding) were from lower classes of society. They fought physically to survive, to make a living. It is like poor people were being exploited in many cases because do rich people go into boxing? Maybe boxing has changed; I don't know enough about it.

2. profile image0

Note: a person makes a choice to drive fast----meaning to be a professional race car driver; not at all like a poor bull being forced to fight (and he is wounded before he even starts). To me, this is barbaric.

2. profile image52
        picnic2013posted 11 years agoin reply to this

@Brenda~
        What exactly does:
        Boxing
        Race car events
        Fear Factor
        Abortion
        have to do with Animal Abuse?
        These things have to do with Humans making decisions for themselves. With animal abuse the animals do not have any choice in the matter. Animal Abuse is about humans putting animals in dangerous or unhealthy situations. Do you really think that a bull would choose to be stabbed over and over and then bleed to death?

1. Clint Ward profile image59
          Clint Wardposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I noticed that you left out hunting, do you consider that cruel as well?

1. profile image52

Yes, I think hunting is cruel. But I was asking about things that only involve humans.
            Horse racing, Fox hunting and Deer hunting involve both humans and animals. With these the animal has no choice and humans are in control.

Most people who do not understand that deer would simply starve to death if there was not deer hunting seasons. They would roam away from their areas and venture into cities looking for food and cause major problems. Starvation must be your idea of a humane death or maybe a fast moving chevy.

1. profile image52

One of the main reasons that deer have become so overpopulated is because humans have killed their predators... it is an unfortunate situation when nature has become so completely out of balance.
                Yes, you are absolutely right about hunting, this is so much more humane!

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/7894830_f248.jpg

Can't help yourself I guess, have to find an extreme. Ever occur to you that the deers nemesis was potentially harmful to humans? Probably didn't.

1. profile image52

You are the one who said "Hunting", which means "All Hunting", you didn't specify.
                    So since a deers nemesis is potentially harmful to humans, we can wipe out populations?
                    Did it ever occur to you that even the predators are there for a reason?
                    Probably didn't.

2. profile image0

Poor seals-they are being hunting for their fur. A lot of people do not buy anything with seal fur anymore. Those poor creatures.

2. profile image0

Hunting a deer (by a skilled hunter who doesn't let the animal suffer) is not quite the same as a person killing an animal for entertainment (where the poor beast suffers tremendously for the pleasure of humans-that is just sick like watching dog fights or bear baiting.

1. habee profile image93
                  habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Exactly. Good hunters want a quick kill - they don't purposely torture the animal before "finishing it off." I've never understood how people who consume meat think hunting is cruel but have no problem buying beef, pork, and chicken at the supermarket. Hunting is the most humane way to harvest meat. Wild animals aren't cooped up in feedlots their entire lives, nor do they have to go through the horrors that some slaughterhouses provide.

I hate bullfighting and could never watch it.

1. profile image0

Good points!

3. jandee profile image78
                jandeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Are you nutty?

2. profile image0
    SandCastlesposted 11 years ago

I don't care how intelligent someone is or how wealthy or how good looking---what kind of heart do they have? Are they kind? Anyone who hurts animals or who enjoys watching animals blood sports is low and no amount of money or wealth or looks can wash them clean.

1. profile image0
      summerberrieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I watched a bullfight in Ecuador. I was somewhat naive. You are so very right. It is such a cruel (sport). I think in all cultures tradition has a way of blinding people to some pretty horrific things.

1. profile image0

Thank you for your comments Summerberrie. Some traditions need to be laid to rest.

3. profile image0
    Deb Welchposted 11 years ago

Going a step further, what about the the run-of-the-bulls in the streets, trampling people to death or serious injury?  This is as well horrific and stupid at the same time.  It does not make sense to me.  As far as bullfighting goes, that is not a sport or even entertainment.  Where any animal is killed before a crowd bringing in money legally or illegally is a shame.  I always thought humans would be judged at the end of the day by how they had treated animals in their lifetime.

1. profile image0

I agree with you Deb Welch; people will be judged by their actions. There is so much evil in the world and there is this slippery slope where there isn't even a right and a wrong anymore. I do think the definition of right and wrong has to be questioned all the time because world powers have defined so much as wrong (being a different colour for example); people have defined difference as wrong. People have been condemned simply for being unique but evil is always wrong. Exploiting animals-killing them as a sport is very, very wrong.

1. profile image0

That is why money can never be the most important thing. When people say money is everything it means they will do anything for it and that is why it can never be everything. People look at animals and life and see dollar signs; they lose all compassion; they lose their souls.

2. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm inclined to agree with you on this after all.   Like I said before, I hadn't really thought much about bullfighting before, even though I've always been against people hurting domesticated animals for sport.

3. jandee profile image78

Good on you ! In Liverpool a few years ago a wonderful Woman was dragged from the stands in Spain where she was protesting against the Bullfights and was pierced to death by the the innocent Bull. She was a heroine, she was a small but brave Woman called Vicky,she was indeed a heroine .
        jandee

1. jandee profile image78

Just remembered her name . She was gored to death by the Bull.
          An incredible brave Woman who was called Vicky Moore from Liverpool, U.K
          from jandee.

1. profile image0

I read about the blood festival in Spain where bulls run through the streets and people blow steel tipped darts at them. Vicky Moore is a hero. I hope these festivals stop. Cruelty is so evil. Is that how Spain wants to be seen? There is enough evil in the world. When people hurt and torment animals and call it a cultural tradition, the culture needs to be changed.

2. Louise Lately profile image60
      Louise Latelyposted 11 years ago

It is definitely cruel and painful to the animal and it's just used to entertain the public - awful!

1. jengin profile image56
        jenginposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Your right Louise Lately.I fell pity to those animals in fact they should not used that kind of cruelty because they have same life like us.

2. profile image0

I agree.

3. pinappu profile image81
      pinappuposted 11 years ago

Bull fighting is cruel and inhuman. It should be banned as soon as possible. Such events will make people argue after 200 years about was 21st century was free from medieval barbarism or not.

4. Theophanes profile image89
      Theophanesposted 11 years ago

You cannot judge a man who lived so long ago, in a different culture than your own, through your modern lens of morality. Do I think bullfighting is a needlessly cruel endeavor? Yes, but I can guarantee my ancestors didn't see it this way. Lets not forget that these bulls were born and raised to be slaughtered for meat - allowing them into a bull fighting ring first doesn't change this inevitability. You'll find in some cultures people believe this gives honor to the animal, to be found to be such a great specimen. I don't agree with this concept but I wasn't raised in that culture. The idea of animal rights is a very new one. Historically people haven't cared much about the treatment of farm animals and sometimes pets. Don't we treat our farm animals just as cruel today? Sure we don't let them fight in rings, instead we take pigs, a very social and intelligent animal, and put them in pens only big enough to stand up or lie down in. They live their whole lives alone, in terrible confinement, and are fed until they're fat enough to feel the mercy of slaughter which is not often done with the pain and comfort of the animal in mind. I'd argue this prolonged torture is probably worse than the relatively quick cruelties of bull fighting.

We as a society will continue to evolve, which is why we cannot judge our elders and ancestors by our own ideals. There is no comparison.

5. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

I think the judgement is of our contemporaries who still take part.

6. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

Or possibly consider that a necessary part of cohabiting with nature.

7. profile image49
      imeverywomanposted 11 years ago

any type of animal abuse should be considered crime and be prosecuted accordingly to the law. I don't think that are laws I currently strong enough and there certainly is not enough follow up onprevious abusers

1. profile image0

I agree with you.  It is also important to not witch-hunt someone. Animal abuse causes a lot understandable rage in people and they can automatically think that someone is an abuser even when they are not-slander. Having Asperger's, I am very devoted to my pets and ...contin..

1. profile image0

to some people I act a bit weird. When my rabbit had a problem with his head turning from an inner ear infection. I was completely crushed and had to put my rabbit down.  One of the receptionists at the clinic glared at me coldly and commented that my behaviour was odd and insinutated that I hurt my rabbit. I was suffering, my pet had just died and this woman was playing judge and jury because she found me 'odd'. Don't be quick to label someone animal abuser either.

1. profile image0

I believe that woman was fired. To accuse someone who loves animals of being an animal abuser because they seem to care 'too much' is a type of character assasination.

2. profile image0

I was completely crushed because I had to put my rabbit down. The vet said he could not be cured. The receptionist was horribly cruel because she had a gut feeling, "there's something about her that's weird". It is so evil to kick someone when they are down.

3. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
            mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years agoin reply to this

OMG, as a child my rabbit had the exact same problem, inner ear infection and kept losing his balance. We spent months trying to save him (Woffles) but in the end our vet's advice was euhanasia (and trust me when I say I even got the local faith healing chapel to pray for him during their weekly service). Shocked you were treated like you did something wrong by making the right decision!

1. profile image0

Thank you mistyhorizon2003  smile

2. profile image0

Thank you mistyhorizon2003  smile

8. tanveerbadyari profile image58
      tanveerbadyariposted 11 years ago

It is very cruel of mankind to entertain themselves with fighting of animals.

1. profile image0

I agree. People think cruelty and bloodthirstiness is strength but it isn't, it's weakness.

2. profile image0

I agree. People think cruelty and bloodthirstiness is strength but it isn't, it's weakness.

9. mcxlivetips profile image60
      mcxlivetipsposted 11 years ago

Hello dear i am amar from delhi and work in delhi in the investment company as technical adviser..
      our company CommodityTradingCalls you will be get more reliable and perfect calls in mcx tips, commodity tips, intraday tips equity , nifty , FNO also….
      we can say that  bullfight is bloody fight, it is more dangerous for fighter
      Human beings have entertained themselves by making animals fight. The fact that people still like to fieght  of pit dogs and cocks . So too is the gory spectacle of bullfighting, a heroic figure, daring and dashing seems a tradition more suited to the bloody coliseums of the ancient world than to the 21st century. most of the country government Spain bullfight.

1. profile image0

I hope Spain bans bullfighting. Thank you for your comments.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)