Quit Smoking

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (30 posts)
  1. taazakhabar profile image60
    taazakhabarposted 11 years ago

What is the best way to quit smoking and why do one time smokers tend to gain weight on giving up?

1. Healthy Pursuits profile image78
      Healthy Pursuitsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I tried to quit smoking for years, without success. Then I finally realized that my cravings lasted a certain time only - just a few minutes. I timed them, and realized that all I had to last was a certain amount of time before the craving would subside. I then drank very cold water slowly, ate crunchy things like carrots and nuts, etc. I was successful then. I wrote about it in one of my hubs.

If you can get past those first days when the actual physical cravings happen, you still have to watch for the psychological triggers of things like having a cigarette after you eat or with a glass of wine, or hanging out with a lot of smokers. Those will raise cravings, too. And you can take care of them partially by knowing exactly how long the craving will last. Your body has a memory of addiction, and your mind will play games. But you can win.

Even if you don't succeed when you try to quit, every time you try, you learn another trick or another thing about your body and your habits. Eventually, they add up to success. So don't give up.

taazakhabarposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes I agree the first few days are important but what you need for them is a will power a firm resolve within-- no body outside can force you-- to make you quit. I have a friend who has CAD - his arteries are all choked. Doctors have asked him to quit but he can't because he cannot cull the strength inside him to say No More.

2. Kate Mc Bride profile image73
        Kate Mc Brideposted 11 years agoin reply to this

good for you to have quit and especially with none of those stop smoking aids which are porbably only gimmicks anyway. i am in the habit of stopping for a while and then starting again so thanks for the encouagement at the end of your post-I won't give up on giving up :-)

2. robie2 profile image77
      robie2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

There is no one size fits all way to quit-- I was a heavy smoker for 30 years and it took me many tries to finally quit for good( haven't smoked in over a dozen years) but I finally made it after many tries.  I did it all--hypnosis, acupuncture,behavioral therapy, patch, gum,, lozenges, smokenders, cold turkey.  Every method can work, and every method can fail too. I think the important thing is to learn from every attempt and not to give up giving up. Keep on trying and you will succeed.

You will almost certainly gain weight when you quit because nicotine speeds up the metabolism and when you quit your body burns about 200 calories less a day, AND because nicotine is not causing the frequent blood sugar spikes your body is used to, you will probably eat more at the beginning.  If you can get through the first week or two you should be home free. The weight gain is usually temporary and the freedom from cigs is well worth a few pounds.

I've written a series of hubs on the subject of quitting, including one on the dynamics of weight gain when you quit here's the link. http://robie2.hubpages.com/hub/Tips-To- … it-Smoking

I had a hard struggle quitting, but really am so happy and grateful to be a non smoker today.  If I can do it anybody can and it really is worth the effort.

3. bernard.sinai profile image78
      bernard.sinaiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I quit smoking almost 5 years ago. My secret was I joined a Kyokushin Karate club. The hard training meant that either I quit Karate or smoking. I chose the later and I have not looked back. I'm also very grateful that I did.

4. profile image53
      wehrmannposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The best way to quit smoking is to immediately remove the nicotine from your body.  This only takes 72 hours.  You must not smoke, or use any kind of nicotine products for 72 hours.  Your body will then be nicotine free.   Read every bit of information you can on the web about smoking and how the body becomes and stays addicted.  Once you understand and see the realities of smoking, it's really quite easy to quit.  Many people are unaware that cigarettes contain a large amount of sugar.  When you quit it wreaks havoc with your body and you crave sugar on top of cigarettes.  a lot of people will turn to sweets to replace the sugar they are not receiving from the cigarettes.  Weight gain is very temporary and doesn't affect all but a little sugar from a chocolate bar is much better than a cigarette. There are many sites to help.  Try this for starters http://quitsmokingwithoutpain.blogspot.com

2. profile image0
    4youreyesposted 11 years ago

Just make up your mind to quit, set a date, no smokes in the house, have some gum or hard candy, and if you have someone to support you depend on them. I quit 6 years ago and haven't had one since and I smoked at least pack a day 

The first few days will be your hardest, when you have a craving get up and do something to take your mind of the need. You will find the urge stronger when it's a normal time you would had a smoke, like right after you've had dinner. Go for a walk, do the dishes,do a put a puzzle together, do something to fill that time slot.

The weight gain is because you may start to chew on candy or gum to help the cravings. The doctor told me you are better of with a few extra pounds then with the effects of smoking. The weight I did gain from smoking I lost that plus more just by walking and changing my diet.

Best of Luck You Can Do it  !!  smile

3. garage-remotes profile image40
    garage-remotesposted 11 years ago

I think the best way to quit is using a combination of nicotine patches & gum. I think some people gain weight because they replace smoking with eating when the cravings come.

I am sorry my friend I don't seem to agree with you. I tried but then a stage cam when I had the nicotine gum in my mouth and was smoking a cigarette. Earlier I used to smoke cigarettes everywhere in the house, now I go outside to smoke

1. Healthy Pursuits profile image78
        Healthy Pursuitsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I tried gum and patches, too, and they didn't work for me. Each person has to try to quit until he or she finds that combination that works. Then, after the physical craving is gone, the person needs to work on keeping the psychological triggers down. For a friend of mine, hypnosis helped with the triggers. I managed them with the timing method I mentioned above.

1. ptosis profile image66
          ptosisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Acupuncture in the ears. In Portland OR, the five needles in the ear - some people were court ordered to go to quit using drugs - I almost quit cigs also. Cigs are the worst addicition, worse than heroin, crack or meth.

friends I think the best thing to do is to build up the inner resolve. I had almost quit. From 40-50 cigs a day to Zero... I did not smoke for one year. than one day I was really pissed off, I picked up a cig and said what the hell I have quit. But I was wrong. It was the cigarette that was burning me not the other way round

4. ptosis profile image66
    ptosisposted 11 years ago

trying to quit most of my life.
    2-3 cigs /day should stop
    craving last for only 3 minutes but repeated cues to smoke throughout the day

Patches and gum don't work, e cigs make it worse.
    With any habit need to replace with another habit.
    I'm working on it.

I had 3 today. Keeping track daily. very few days zero cigs. Make it difficult to smoke. Hid all ashtrays, put the pack hidden away with a note on it that says NO! Clean your clothes and try for at least 24 hours and put this up somewhere in your house.

Best way for me: having a partner that refuses to kiss me - even after brushing teethe. wash hair, smokers really do stink but they don't know because can't smell -  when quit - food tastes good again.

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/a_benefits_time_table.html

Within ...

20 minutes
        Your blood pressure, pulse rate, and the temperature of your hands and feet will all return to normal.
    8 hours
        Remaining nicotine in your bloodstream will have fallen to 6.25% of normal peak daily levels, a 93.25% reduction.
    12 hours
        Your blood oxygen level will have increased to normal and carbon monoxide levels will have dropped to normal.
    24 hours
        Anxieties peak in intensity and within two weeks should return to near pre-cessation levels.
    48 hours
        Damaged nerve endings have started to regrow and your sense of smell and taste are beginning to return to normal. Cessation anger and irritability peaks.
    72 hours
        Your entire body will test 100% nicotine-free and over 90% of all nicotine metabolites (the chemicals it breaks down into) will now have passed from your body via your urine.  Symptoms of chemical withdrawal have peaked in intensity, including restlessness. The number of cue induced crave episodes experienced during any quitting day will peak for the "average" ex-user. Lung bronchial tubes leading to air sacs (alveoli) are beginning to relax in recovering smokers. Breathing is becoming easier and the lungs functional abilities are starting to increase.
    5 - 8 days
        The "average" ex-smoker will encounter an "average" of three cue induced crave episodes per day. Although we may not be "average" and although serious cessation time distortion can make minutes feel like hours, it is unlikely that any single episode will last longer than 3 minutes. Keep a clock handy and time them.   
    10 days
        10 days - The "average ex-user is down to encountering less than two crave episodes per day, each less than 3 minutes.
    10 days to 2 weeks
        Recovery has likely progressed to the point where your addiction is no longer doing the talking. Blood circulation in our gums and teeth are now similar to that of a non-user.
    2 to 4 weeks
        Cessation related anger, anxiety, difficulty concentrating, impatience, insomnia, restlessness and depression have ended. If still experiencing any of these symptoms get seen and evaluated by your physician.
    21 days
        Brain acetylcholine receptor counts up-regulated in response to nicotine's presence have now down-regulated and receptor binding has returned to levels seen in the brains of non-smokers.
    2 weeks to 3 months
        Your heart attack risk has started to drop. Your lung function is beginning to improve.
    3 weeks to 3 months
        Your circulation has substantially improved. Walking has become easier. Your chronic cough, if any, has likely disappeared.

Thanks ptosis you seem to be very knowledgeable. I frankly did not know about how the nicotine levels drop after you quit

5. profile image0
    KDuBarry03posted 11 years ago

I just went cold turkey and, not gonna lie, I've been really angry and antsy this whole week; however, it is the best route to go. Yes, it may not be the funnest and easiest, it is definitely the most productive. As long as you keep on telling yourself, "I will not smoke" and force your mind to think that, you should do fine within a few weeks our a couple months. Quitting smoking is never easy =/ this is my second attempt and I hope it works!

It isn't but it is something we have to do. sooner or later. When we still can...

6. mperrottet profile image82
    mperrottetposted 11 years ago

I quit smoking about 15 years ago.  I think that I was successful because I concentrated my energy into a healthy living regime, including being careful with my diet so I wouldn't gain much weight and increasing my exercise.  I also took Saint Johns Wort to help me with the anxiety that I felt for the first three weeks, then discontinued it on the fourth week.  I tried the nicotine gum, but didn't like it, so stopped taking it after three days.  The most important factor however was my resolve to quit.  I had gotten to the point where I felt that smoking was ruining my health, and although I craved it, the bad effects were outweighing my enjoyment of it. You really have to make your mind up once and for all that you are not going to smoke anymore, and stick to it not matter what.

Yes I agree only resolve -- and no gums, noting else works. But the issue is how to awaken that resolve which loses when temptation wins

It's 4 o'clock and none yet. That's because there is a full unopened pack in the freezer and trying to tell myself that in three minutes - the craving will stop and I'll forget that I wanted one.

7. ptosis profile image66
    ptosisposted 11 years ago

Thanks you all for all this posts from former smokers. This is helping me to quit. I had 6 yesterday and there is a full pack in the freezer. I'm thinking that this forum should continue to help others to quit.

That's the idea... even I am trying. I have had 10 today, yet I keep telling myself today is the last day I will quit tomorrow

8. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

I wish I knew how to quit. I try and try and try some more but they are my one weekness. I crave the habit more than the nicotine I think. I am use to having them at certain times of the day. When those times come I can push them off a little but not long. I hate smoking but I love the feeling of smoke in my lungs. It's horrible!

No smoker loves to smoke but still keeps on doing so, I don't know why. Each day I too tell myself this is the last day I am going to quit tomorrow. that tomorrow never comes. The thing to do is to crush the packet and say no more from right now!!. Do you have it in you?

1. peeples profile image93
        peeplesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This makes me feel pathetic, but I don't. For all the stress, bad days, smoking is my safe haven. They make me feel secure. No matter how much I want them gone or the rational side of me that says "they're killing you" I still can't do it. I tried this morning. I made it an hour before that "need" for my morning smoke kicked in. Truly pathetic!

I was ok yesterday until 4PM then had 3 one right after another.

9. samnashy profile image71
    samnashyposted 11 years ago

Nicotine patches, you can't overdose on them. Use what you need, plus one of those plastic imitation cigarettes where you inhale nicotine.  Hypnotherapy may help to.  Finally, never stop giving up.  You are not a failure and tbdoesnt mean you won't do it - you will, and it will be with it for your health and finances.
    Good luck, you can do it.

1. Kate Mc Bride profile image73
      Kate Mc Brideposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Health,finance and freedom are three good reasons for quitting. There is absolutely no freedom with having to know how many cigs you have,where is your lighter,when will I smoke the next one etc. It is good to see so many people breaking free of cigs.

10. kat_thurston profile image61
    kat_thurstonposted 11 years ago

I still say the best way is cold turkey. I started when I was 15 years old and quit when I was 24 and not picked them up since. I quit when I found out I was pregnant with my first child. Sure I gained weight mainly because of the pregnancy though because within a couple of months I was right back to normal size and haven't gained any more weight other than the other times I've beenn pregnant since then. You have to want to and have the will power. The key for not gaining weight is keeping yourself busy. don't  think about how badly you want that cigrette.

11. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

Ok someone tell me if they felt nausea, upset stomach, and jittery while coming off of cigarettes. I have had two today along with a couple puffs off of an ecig and I feel miserable! Im worried that I somehow have overdosed on the ecig but I have only used it a couple times.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)