Thoughts on using choke chains to discipline dogs?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Jeanne Louise profile image61
    Jeanne Louiseposted 11 years ago

I'm in the process of training my four-month-old puppy. He is quite unruly and hyperactive, especially when I take him out on walks. I've watched and read numerous videos and books, and a lot of them suggest the use of choke chains or pinch chains. I find it a tad cruel, though.

Is using choke chains effective? Does it border on animal cruelty, or am I just being too soft?

1. Zelkiiro profile image89
      Zelkiiroposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Choke chains are a good teacher for puppies, and they're only as painful as the dog is rebellious. As with any other form of discipline, you have to be a little rough to establish both dominance and rules.

Besides, if choke chains actually did pose any threat to your dog's life when used as directed, they would never have been approved to be sold.

Jeanne Louiseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Great point. Thank you!

2. profile image0
      Sarra Garrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

First what kind of puppy. 
      Second a 4 month old puppy is too young for a choke chain
      Third.  You need to be the 'pack leader' and teach your puppy you are the boss
      Fourth.  Once you establish to your puppy you are the 'pack leader' you won't need a choke chain
      Fifth.  Be firm and consistent.  Know the breed of dog you have and read up on his/her temperament
      sixth. Do not hit your puppy! This will only reward his bad behavior
      Seventh. Be firm and consistent - use words like "no" "bad" and make him/her sit down by pushing on the bottom
      eight: Be firm and consistent
      nine: reward when good with "good dog"
      ten: repeat steps above

1. profile image0

Pinch collars and choke chains are used too frequently on dogs when it's the owners fault that the dog is misbehaving.  Try a pinch collar on yourself - it hurts and you'll act out.  Dogs are smarter than most people.  If you know how to train a dog properly you should never have to use either of these collars.  Take obedience lessons.  Be patient, puppies have a short attention span.  Be consistent all of the time and reward for good behavior.  Plenty of exercise and learn the breed of dog you have.  Never hit your dog as this will enforce bad behavior.   Make sure you socialize your puppy when they are young.  There are some really good articles here on HP on training your dog.  Look for DrMark's articles.  Please spay/neuter.  Unless you have a police dog you don't need a pinch or choke collar.  Your dog will be the best friend you'll ever have.  Your confidant and protector.  Yes, you will become soul mates if you truely love your dog.

3. profile image52
      radialposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes it is necessary to use a choke chain to restrain (never discipline) a dog. Even young dogs can easily slip a conventional collar and run a muck being a nuisance or worse being run over by a car or the like. It is better to use a choke chain and have a live animal at the end of the day, but never use it to discipline the dog, the dog will not learn anything that way. Remember that the dog is your friend and you are not using the collar to hurt the dog, you are using it to keep the dog from being hurt or annoying others.

2. Theophanes profile image89
    Theophanesposted 11 years ago

Choke chains are not meant to choke an animal, although they will if you put them on backwards. When used correctly all you need is a half-second tug just  to get the dog's attention. I've used them on a number of dogs, all really hyper and distractable, and they do help. Once the dog knows the rules he won't need anymore corrections. I don't know anything about pinch collars, although they do look pretty fierce and easy to abuse. If your intend is to stop him pulling on a leash during the walk you may also want to try a harness. Some dogs respect them more.

1. Theophanes profile image89
      Theophanesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have no idea why this posted three times... but it's not letting me delete the two extras. Sorry about that.

Jeanne Louiseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No worries. Thanks for the great advice! Your answer is very helpful.

3. Theophanes profile image89

Choke chains are not meant to choke an animal, although they will if you put them on backwards. When used correctly all you need is a half-second tug just  to get the dog's attention. I've used them on a number of dogs, all really hyper and distractable, and they do help. Once the dog knows the rules he won't need anymore corrections. I don't know anything about pinch collars, although they do look pretty fierce and easy to abuse. If your intend is to stop him pulling on a leash during the walk you may also want to try a harness. Some dogs respect them more.

4. Theophanes profile image89

5. Sugahware profile image87
    Sugahwareposted 11 years ago

I have a 5 1/2 month old puppy! I'm in the process of leash training too. I mainly used a choke when I trained my older, very energetic, male dog Zonix. As Theo said, I understand the point of the choke is to pull it quickly so you're not actually choking the dog. But when Zonix was a puppy he would pull ahead and keep choking himself to the point where he would begin coughing and choking. He was so determined to pull it didn't matter that he was choking himself. Eventually I began using a Gentle Leader. He hated it and would try to roll and get it off, but eventually got used to it. Now at 4 years old he heels perfectly at my side, but it did take some time! With Bella, my new puppy, I'm training her on the Gentle Leader immediately. So far, it doesn't seem to bother her and she doesn't pull with it. The Gentle Leader looks like a muzzle, but it is nothing of the sort. A thin band does cross over the dogs nose but the point is to direct the dog from its chin and not its neck. The neck is the strongest part of the dog, but wherever the chin goes the body will follow. I hope to write a hub about the Gentle Leader soon. Good luck! What kind of puppy do you have?

6. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 11 years ago

i'm using an item that attaches to the collar and slips around my pup's nose...if she pulls...she ends up pulling her head down and around...it's all up to her....i don't have to do anything but keep walking...she figured it out in moments....however, she's pretty good on a leash if she's had time to run and release some of her energy before we go for a walk...........................otherwise if we start out on a walk without some rigorous exercise beforehand, she figures it's playtime first....and i'm the toy!

1. Allkingss profile image61
      Allkingssposted 11 years agoin reply to this

you better decide  yourself and then chose your one

7. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

Just google the phrase Choke chains kill dogs. It is enough for me to never use them. It is much more effective to put a dog in a basic training class that teaches how to walk on a leash than choke them into being good.

8. Jenn-Anne profile image75
    Jenn-Anneposted 11 years ago

We have an 8 month old beagle mix and a 17 month old shepherd mix. The older dog is doing well on the leash. The younger one is not - he just pulls and pulls. We sometimes use a choke chain, however I'm trying to focus on getting him into a calm frame of mind and establishing myself as the leader when we walk. Hopefully he'll get the hang of it soon but he's a stubborn little guy.

1. profile image0

If you have a dog that is constantly pulling and taking you for a walk you are not spending enough time with your dog training him/her.  Dogs are very trainable and need consistency, time patience and lots of love - just like children.  There are no bad dogs, just bad dog owners. Sorry.

9. Reality Bytes profile image74
    Reality Bytesposted 11 years ago

I have leash trained all my dogs in the same way.  When they pull, I turn my back, tell them follow me, and head in the opposite direction.  Eventually, they realize that they need to pay attention to you. 

All my dogs walk through hand signals, I point, they go.  I show them the palm they stop.   They need to be taught that you are the leader, you decide where your going to go.  It is just simple respect.  Take over the pack leader position.  Dogs are more than willing to obey once taught.  I do not even like collars, I prefer a harness.

10. Jeanne Louise profile image61
    Jeanne Louiseposted 11 years ago

Thanks for all the great advice, everyone.

To answer your questions: My dog is a dachshund-pinscher mix. He is really well behaved. He responds to all the basic commands, like sit, stay, come, and lie down. He gets a lot of exercise and play time. We have a garden where he can run around, and we play with him multiple times a day. We've only ever had any trouble with him when we take him out for walks.

Since I posted my inquiry, I have tried using a prong collar while walking him. I only had to use it for under five minutes, and he immediately stopped pulling on the leash. We have now gone back to using his regular collar, and he no longer pulls or runs ahead when being walked. We only had to use the prong collar once.

I agree that prolonged and/or incorrect use of prong collars may cause harm to your dogs, but in our case, it definitely helped.

11. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

I would suggest a cloth martingale.  It has a similar effect but will not constrict to the point of doing damage.

12. Hollie Thomas profile image59
    Hollie Thomasposted 10 years ago

In my experience, you train a dog with your voice and other signals. You need to teach them who's the alpha male/female and that can be done with the tone of your voice and rewards for good behaviour.  I've never used a choke chain and I never would, I think they're cruel and unnecessary. My dogs have always worn a body harness and can be easily controlled with this aid, whatever your size or theirs. I'm between 5ft 1 and 2" but have raised and trained dogs as big as Bull Mastifs. (my last one was above ten stone, I was seven)

Work out what your dog responds to; treats, exercise, discipline, your approval. Then work the training around your dogs needs. Honestly, it works.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)