Promoting US welfare benefits to foreigners....

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (76 posts)
  1. SparklingJewel profile image68
    SparklingJewelposted 10 years ago

any opinions on this?

I think there is way too much dependence on governments as it is...this is just ludicrous, what has happened to common sense...promoting illegal activity and taxing citizens to pay for it

this is so wrong on so many levels, this is not how you help others

http://www.wnd.com/2013/04/feds-caught- … oreigners/

1. profile image0
      JaxsonRaineposted 10 years agoin reply to this

But, but, everyone has a basic human right to food, shelter, medication, a job, a car, a house!

Even people who have broken the law to get into our country! We can't just let them not-steal-money-from-hardworking-Americans! We HAVE to take care of everybody!

1. Josak profile image59
        Josakposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ahh the enthusiasm some have for letting others starve is something I will never understand, but of course if I claim that it's a tragic lack of compassion and basic human value that would be unthinkable tongue

The program is specifically for children and specifically for food, so I am not being facetious when I say that the opposition to this program is based on the willingness to see children starve... Frankly I can't think of anything more morally repulsive.

SparklingJewelposted 10 years agoin reply to this

...only limited minds can conceive of such

there is always a way to do things better, that doesn't mean they are wrong. to interpret another as you have done you show your own limitations of conception of compassion manifest

1. Josak profile image59

Very flowery way of saying nothing at all.

2. profile image56
          Education Answerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Josak,

Where's your compassion for the victims of illegal aliens?  Yes, we need to make sure that innocent children don't starve.  That's absolutely true.  What about all the rape and murder victims of illegal aliens?  Should we do something for them?  When are we going to secure our borders so we can assure, to the best of our ability, that good people enter our country for work?  At what point is there going to be some compassion for those of us who live in a border state?

Facts:  (source CBS, Department of Homeland Security, and Arizona Department of Corrections - 2010)

14.8 percent of Arizona prisoners are illegal aliens, but they only account for 7 percent of Arizona’s population.

40 percent of all prisoners serving time for kidnapping in Arizona are illegal aliens.

24 percent of all prisoners serving for drug crimes in Arizona are illegal aliens.

13 percent of all prisoners serving time for murder in Arizona are illegal aliens.

Phoenix is ranked second in the world for kidnapping.  Most kidnappers are illegal aliens who flee to Mexico.

When will we be worried about being compassionate for the victims in Arizona and other border states?

3. Marquis profile image65
          Marquisposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wrong again. And you miss the point as USUAL.

1. Zelkiiro profile image88
            Zelkiiroposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Says the guy who probably gets some kind of sadistic pleasure each time a commercial with starving children comes on the air. "Mmmm, that's right. Starve, you non-Americans! Your location of birth makes you inferior to me!"

1. profile image50
              Lie Detectorposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Its always for the children isn't it?

2. Josak profile image59

Because children starving is bad? Which would be why the flier particularly focuses on them, the children are completely innocent of any crime and often find themselves in a new country where their parents have not been able to find work and starve.

This distinction that we make between Americans that deserve to not starve to death and Mexicans that may as well be something we scraped off our shoes and oh well if their children starve is very disturbing to me.

3. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think that the US gov't is getting more from the illegal immigrants.

1. profile image50

How so?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62

I read it somewhere that they do contribute in terms of taxes. I can't find the link anymore but  in this link proceed to the section

Taxes contributed by illegal immigrants

"Most arguments against illegal immigration begin with the premise that the illegal don't pay income taxes, and that they therefore take more in services than they contribute. However, IRS estimates that about 6 million unauthorized immigrants file individual income tax returns each year.[22] Research reviewed by the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office indicates that between 50 percent and 75 percent of unauthorized immigrants pay federal, state, and local taxes.[22] Illegal immigrants are estimated to pay in about $7 billion per year into Social Security.[27] Most illegal immigrants pay sales, federal and state income taxes. In addition, they spend millions of dollars per year, which supports the US economy and helps to create new jobs. The Texas State Comptroller reported in 2006 that the 1.4 million illegal immigrants in Texas alone added almost $18 billion to the state's budget, and paid $1.2 billion in state services they used.[28]
          The Social Security and Medicare contributions of undocumented immigrants directly support older Americans, as illegal immigrants are not eligible to receive these services.[29] The Internal Revenue Service issues an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) regardless of immigration status because both resident and nonresident aliens may have Federal tax return and payment responsibilities under the Internal Revenue Code. Federal tax law prohibits the IRS from sharing data with other government agencies including the INS. In 2006 1.4 million people used ITIN when filing taxes, of which more than half were illegal immigrants.[30]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_i … ted_States

or go here so you can check it some more

https://www.google.com/search?q=estimat … p;ie=UTF-8

1. profile image56

Of course illegal aliens pay some tax.  Don't liberals like to use the term "fair share" when it comes to taxes?  Well, do illegal aliens pay their fair share?  No.

1. wilderness profile image95
              wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Very, very few will pay even a portion of what they receive in benefits back in taxes.  Successful drug dealers, maybe, but no laborer working under the table for 1/2 the going wage is going to.

2. prettydarkhorse profile image62

I like to see a data from gov't, how much do they get - social services. Are they entitled to it?

1. profile image50

I would hope only American citizens are entitled to it but I really don't know. If they have children here the child is a citizen and is entitled and the entire family will benefit. There is a reason to come here and work is not always it.

As a demographer I can just say that if the country they are coming from is not a war torn area, the reason for migration is always in search of a better future i.e., better jobs aside from intermarriage.

1. profile image50

Possibly, but if we are advertising in countries that are poor and telling its citizens just how great they can have it here wouldn't you think we may be getting people who are looking for free stuff?

2. profile image56

Google it then.

I really think that US government is getting more from the illegal immigrants in terms of the taxes they are collecting from them than the cost of having them here.

Here check factcheck.org to see the cost of illegal immigrants.

It said "So, how much do illegal immigrants cost federal, state and local governments in the U.S.? Estimates vary widely, and no consensus exists. The Urban Institute put the net national cost at $1.9 billion in 1992; a Rice University professor, whose work the Urban Institute criticized, said it was $19.3 billion in 1993. More recently, a 2007 report by the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office examined 29 reports on state and local costs published over 15 years in an attempt to answer this question.

CBO concluded that most of the estimates determined that illegal immigrants impose a net cost to state and local governments but "that impact is most likely modest." CBO said "no agreement exists as to the size of, or even the best way of measuring, that cost on a national level."

http://www.factcheck.org/2009/04/cost-o … mmigrants/

Further check this if you have the time ; 2007 US CBO study by the Government about the cost of illegal immigrant.

http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/files/ … ration.pdf

1. wilderness profile image95

Sounds right to me.  How can you find the cost of illegal medical care when there are no records?  Or the cost of unemployment benefits when the illegal is working under the table, without records, and you don't know how many jobs were lost?  Even the schooling costs - around here schools are forbidden to ask for citizenship records of any kind.  How do you know if a driver without insurance is illegal? 

It's all a guess, and the vast majority of guesses aren't going to take into account a large portion of the costs the country pays.

2. profile image56

There are many sources that discount this and clearly indicate that illegal aliens cost more than what your sources suggest.  Still, I appreciate your footwork.

Let's look at this in lives lost and ruined.  Can you really put a price on how many Americans have died?  At what point is the government going to do its part to keep American citizens safe?  When millions of illegal aliens enter our country, we don't have any idea why they are here.  Some are here for employment.  Some are here for crime.  All I am saying is that many illegal aliens are killing, raping, and kidnapping Americans, and our government justifies it by saying they are undocumented workers here to earn money; they help our economy.  Can you really make a blanket statement like that about any demographic?  We need to know who is in our country and for what purpose. 

Then, some would justify illegal aliens entering our country by saying, despite facts to the contrary, that they commit crimes at the same rate as Americans.  Tell that to the parent of a child who is the victim of an illegal alien.  How many American lives must be lost or destroyed before America has illegal alien control?

2. profile image50

Some pay taxes using  issued Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITINs). The problem is the majority does not, a potential benefit is there but we are not experiencing it.

2. wilderness profile image95

What, besides more mouths to feed, bodies to heal, children to educate, etc.?

Or (gasp) are you insinuating that illegal aliens vote illegally for the politicians that will give all that to them?

2. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 10 years ago

I know it's hard, but don't let the facts get in the way of your manufactured outrage.

http://www.snaptohealth.org/snap/snap-f … questions/

"Can undocumented immigrants use SNAP?

No. Undocumented immigrants are not (and never have been) eligible for SNAP benefits. Documented immigrants can only receive SNAP benefits if they have resided within the United States for at least five years (with some exceptions for refugees, children, and individuals receiving asylum)."

Of course, you can still be upset that a tiny percentage of your tax dollars goes to feed children of immigrants, so all is not lost.

...did you find the facts on these commercials in foreign countries promoting US welfare?

did you read the article and find the facts on the points of the many ways this promotion is taking place.

do you really believe one "truth telling website" is telling the whole truth?  who pays for their truth-telling?

... who's gullible ?

1. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I read the article and went to the original source, which I had to Google since it was not linked to in the article.

Children of documented immigrants are eligible for the program.  Children who are born in the U.S. are eligible, if one of their parents is a documented immigrant. 

Seriously, even if you consider this to be a waste of taxpayer money, it's a drop in the bucket compared to waste in defense and homeland security, which for some odd reason, doesn't seem to be an issue with the Outrage-of-the-Week Club.

...not when you add it to the overall welfare situation, including the American citizens it continues to corrupt from a healthy lifestyle

...it is not conspiracy to recognize the depth of corruption going on into the human psyche by programs of the government

...you can't just look at one source of explanation and then ride off the whole issue perception...if you do you have been corrupted in your thinking; the trail of corruption is long and many faceted, and the people are the ones that suffer

...there are much much much better ways of building a healthy society and truly helping people

2. Josak profile image59

You that is in fact the law, only children are applicable for the benefits.

...the fact is, only adults receive the money/stamps and can purchase the things children need...you think there is no abuse of privlege  going on?

1. Josak profile image59

I have no doubt some does but I have not met any parents in my life who would not feed their children if they can so it's far better than the alternative.

I know and I believe that true compassion is teaching someone how to fish instead of just giving them a fish. Though that given fish may need to be the first step, it is not to be the last. Our system is wrongly done and a corrupted version of truth. period. there are better ways of doing things.

1. Josak profile image59

I agree that there is more we could be doing but this is the first step, simple as that, lacking alternatives for that first step it is the only moral action.

1. Marquis profile image65
                  Marquisposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Josak, do you live here or something? Does Hubpages pay you or something? Why must you be everywhere to defend bloated social programs and other trash?

2. profile image0

Yes, of course.  Do you propose to let the children go hungry in the meantime?

...now see...that is the kind of reply I am talking about when I say stop blaming/claiming someone else is wrong or totally uncompassionate...that mindset has got to go, there must be mutual good will for things to move forward for the common good

1. profile image0

Okay, then what would you propose?  A child is hungry and her parents are not providing food.  What would you propose?

2. profile image0

So you would let some children starve because some children's parents might abuse the system?

3. SparklingJewel profile image68
    SparklingJewelposted 10 years ago

...yeah, lets take care of them by teaching them to care for themselves by legal means

...by setting up a system that examples honesty and integrity, not just a hand out other peoples money

...the current way and means does nothing but corrupt a person's sense of dignity and ability to care for themselves

4. Cantuhearmescream profile image77
    Cantuhearmescreamposted 10 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/7934440_f248.jpg

5. Silverspeeder profile image60
    Silverspeederposted 10 years ago

It seems like the US is going the same way as the UK where newly arrived immigrants recieve benefits, free social housing and medical care and free education.

6. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 10 years ago

"...hand the child food and help the parent find a job..."

Um, that is what government programs do.  They don't do it perfectly, but no one stays on unemployment, welfare, or pretty much any government assistance (except for the disabled, elderly, etc.) indefinitely.  They have training programs to get people off of them.

7. profile image50
    Lie Detectorposted 10 years ago

What does it benefit the United States to advertise benefits to citizens of other countries? We shouldn't be recruiting more mouths to feed.

I agree. Other countries should be helping their own people.

The US needs to hold up their own laws and stop this flow of illegal immigration. How good is it for people to think they can breaks laws and get away with it?

8. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 10 years ago

Does the US gov't accept applications of food stamps if you don't have social security?

About taxes, this has more to do with employers.

9. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 10 years ago

I got this from my link above and what is the reason for this?

"Federal tax law prohibits the IRS from sharing data with other government agencies including the INS."

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)