Site Stealing Employment Hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years ago

If you write about employment, job interviewing and other career topics, please check your hubs for stolen content.  A site in Ghana (job house ghana dot com) is stealing content.

I filed a DMCA, but since Google doesn't remove sites, all they did was to make it fall below my site (great - it's still shown, right under mine).  The site is hosted by HostGator, which has the worst DMCA process I have ever heard of - you have to file by letter or by fax.  Thanks a lot.

Please pass this along to any Hubber you know who writes on those topics.

1. Simone Smith profile image87
      Simone Smithposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for providing the heads up, Marcy!

I'm sorry to hear this keeps happening to you. =_____=;;

2. Nicole Winter profile image60
      Nicole Winterposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hopefully Patty Inglish, MS sees this.  I know a lot of folks write about the topic, of course, but she's really got *a lot* of 'em.

Like Simone Smith said, Marcy, I'm so sorry this keeps happening to you sad

It's really awful, and I appreciate your continuing diligence in making us aware whenever you've come across these hacks.

--- Nicole A. Winter

Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, guys - I know I am not the only one who has this happen.  And eventually the offending sites get taken down.  I hope Patty sees this, too - the site has quite a bit of content, and I didn't have the time to search everything. 

Meanwhile - this is not going to keep me from publishing here - I love our site.

3. lawdoctorlee profile image83
      lawdoctorleeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Marcy.  I've had to file 5 complaints already including someone who published an E-book with the entire content of one of my hubs.  I have had great response from the hosting websites in removing my copyrighted material.

I'm glad to know that route works, Lawdoctorlee - the Google approach hasn't been as effective at times.  How did you discover the stolen content was in an e-book?  Does that show up in a search?

I found one hub that had been purchase by a site - someone in Australia 'sold' my content to the site.  Thankfully, the owner of the site removed it immediately when I contacted him. But the search result still pops up, so I filed a request to have the 404 page removed from searches.  This is incredibly time consuming.

1. lawdoctorlee profile image83
          lawdoctorleeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The e-book came up in the search, Marcy.  Sorry that you had to go through all that.

2. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 10 years ago

Sincere thanks for posting these messages! -- My computer was not working well and I just got back online. I am so sorry this is happening to hard working people at HubPages!

After looking at some of the website in Ghana, I don't recognize any of my Hubs at first run-through, but some sound like two put together. I saw Marcy's right off, tho.  I will read through the whole lot more carefully tonight. Hey, letters and Faxes to Ghana will get to be expensive pretty quickly!

Not only do some foreign web sites seem to lift work from others without much fear of retribution perhaps, but I also think some bloggers feel that anything can be lifted for a blog without permissions asked or granted - as if blogs are exempt.

Thanks again and if I run into any of these sites that steal content, I'll also post them.

Patty

Hi, Patty - so glad you saw this thread - the faxes and letters go to HostGator in Houston, not to Ghana (thankfully!).

Here's their address, if you need it:

HostGator
      11251 Northwest Fwy
      Suite 400
      Houston, Texas 77092
      RE:  DMCA COMPLAINT
      Attention:  Abuse Department

You have to put the legal statement that indicates it is your work, attested under perjury, etc.  Here's the language they have posted on their site (HostGator's site):

I have a good faith belief that use of the copyrighted materials described above as allegedly infringing is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law.

I swear, under penalty of perjury, that the information in the notification is accurate and that I am the copyright owner or am authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.

Let us know if you find more of your work.  I feel certain some of your great hubs are copied there.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
        Patty Inglish, MSposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks very much for that!  I hope all your work will be removed from that site.

3. Susana S profile image92
    Susana Sposted 10 years ago

Thought I recognised the url - I've reported this website before. Must be one of those that just changes hosts and this info seems to confirm that suspicion. http://whois.domaintools.com/jobhouseghana.com

Rather than filing with the host you might want to consider filing with the domain registrar instead. Seems to be a site called launchpad.com

If you do decide to file with the host, Hostgator does have an online DMCA form so you don't have to faff about with faxes. http://www.hostgator.com/dmca

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Good information as well - Thanks!

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83

Thanks, Susana - I did not find this form online, and I even called them - they claimed the only way to file was by fax or mail.  Aaarrrrgh!  I appreciate your posting this link.  Yes, I think they were around another time and, as you point out, probably hop hosting sites regularly.  I didn't realize we could also complain to the domain name registrar.  Again - my thanks!

1. Susana S profile image92
        Susana Sposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome smile I hope you get a good result.

3. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83

Patty & Susana -

Launchpad appears to be a domain registration service with HostGator (in Beta testing form so far).  I did fill out the online DMCA form (THANK YOU!), but I am going to send a letter as well.  I decided on the letter for two reasons - the url will appear in blue, and I don't have my fax machine wired the right way at this time.

As Susana pointed out - they have moved around quite a bit.  I suspect they can move their domain name, too - so I'm not sure how permanent it will be to go after them, no matter what.  And of course there are untold numbers of hosting sites and domain peddlers.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)