Massive amounts of views of a Hub with very little $$

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (39 posts)
  1. Perry Fender profile image70
    Perry Fenderposted 10 years ago

When I first published a recipe in one of my Hub links, I was getting way more $$ for very few views ($4/5 for 40-50 views).  I now average over 100 views in a month for that 1 recipe and am making less than $1/month from it.  This particular recipe has made it to "featured" and about that time the $$ per view went way down.  When Goggling this copy-cat recipe, mine is the first link option - so it appears the more popular the recipe gets, the less I am making.  What gives?

1. SimeyC profile image87
      SimeyCposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Generally you should expect to earn about $3 to $5 (can be more depending on the subjects) per 1000 views. I'm surprised to see you earned so much for just 50 views.

Are you using HP Ads or Google Adsense? Perhaps you happened to have a lucky month where a lot of people (or even one person) clicked on your Ads....

Perry Fenderposted 10 years agoin reply to this

AdSense.  I must have since at the beginning I was earning about $4-5/month from all Hubs when they all totaled 100 clicks for a month combined.  It's just odd that this 1 Hub is receiving the majority of the traffic (the remaining total approximately 10/month on some - 0/month on others.  I do not have a lot of published Hubs, so it's been easy to watch that with total clicks from all earning more when now that 1 Hubs is garnering more clicks singularly than all of the Hubs did initially and I'm making less.  Just doesn't make sense.  About 6 months after they were published, I got an "archiving" message - and then all of the sudden the monthly $$ went down to less than $1/mo. for all the Hubs when they were bringing in more before.  Scratching my head trying to figure out how the earnings work...?

2. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 10 years agoin reply to this

In a word:  dilution.  Advertisers do not pay more per click when you get a lot of traffic.

3. Jeff Berndt profile image73
      Jeff Berndtposted 10 years agoin reply to this

My advice? Use every revenue stream that you can get into. I have AdSense, and don't earn that much from it. I got around to adding the HubPages ad service about three months ago, and I've already earned almost as much on that as I have on AdSense since I started.

Also, what did the "archiving" message say?

Thanks for the suggestion of adding HubPages Ads - I'll try that!
        The "archiving" message was something stating that due to the age, it was being placed in my "history" and within the same month I got a notification that due to its popularity that it was being considered as a "featured" Hub (and is - 3 of the 16 Hubs I've published made it being "featured" (whatever that means).  It was immediately after the "archiving" message that my revenue dropped.  I still make a trickling income from it (pennies per multiple clicks) - for example, that Hub has gotten 101 views so far this month and my earnings so far are $0.99 for the month.  I haven't made more than $1 a month since being "archived" and "featured."

2. Perry Fender profile image70

I take that back - 234 views for that Hub and 264 view on all Hubs so far this month for $0.99 -

That seems about right - I average between $3 and $5 per 1000 views. So $1 for 250 views is close to what I experience. The initial figures are probably an anomaly....

3. Perry Fender profile image70

How do you add HubPage Ads?

4. Perry Fender profile image70

Thanks to all of you for your assistance - I really appreciate the "quick education" you guys have provided.

5. profile image0
      ssaulposted 10 years agoin reply to this

i make 15 to 20 dollars now on hubpages ad program monthly.

6. lovebuglena profile image85
      lovebuglenaposted 10 years ago

What do you mean by copy-cat recipe? Anyways, how much you are making depends on the CPC (cost-per-click) and/or the CPM (cost per thousand impressions) of the ads featured on your recipe hub. Since you are talking about the Ad Program it would be CPM. Your hub views can be low but if the CPM is very high you may earn more, whereas if your views are very high but the CPM is very low you may earn less. It all has to do with the CPM of the ads and they vary every day. So it's not just about how many views your hub gets...

"Copy-cat" means making something at home that you can find in the market (i.e., making Coca-Cola at home verses purchasing it at the store).  It is not "exact" since the market product's recipe isn't published.  There've been a lot of things I've tried at a restaurant and would love to make it at home (i.e., Chocolate Stampede from Longhorn [which I've made something very close], Chicken Marsala from Carrabbas [I still haven't perfected that one - the 2 attempts I've done so far were way off the mark], etc.).  Does that make sense?

7. lovebuglena profile image85

I am wondering though how do you know how much money you are making on that hub alone? Hub Stats for Ad Program show revenue for all hubs combined.

Because all of the others are averaging less than 10 views a month (not a lot of Hubs posted and no new ones for a while - no time).

8. lovebuglena profile image85

With the Ad Program hub visitors don't need to click on ads for you to earn money since the earnings are based on ad impressions. So if the cost for the ad impressions (CPM) is very low for that day you will earn much less than usual.

9. lovebuglena profile image85

Yes, it makes sense now. Thanks.

10. Sneha Sunny profile image85
      Sneha Sunnyposted 10 years ago

I think you're not getting that much clicks on ads now- depends on luck!

11. lovebuglena profile image85

When it comes to earnings on Hub Pages the Ad Program earns more than AdSense directly. At least in my case. Perhaps with the Ad Program ON the # of Google ads decreases to allow ads from other networks.

How do you turn that on?

2. Perry Fender profile image70

It's on - and the CPM is:

Yesterday
        7 Impressions

$0.03 Dollars

Last 7 Days
        57 Impressions

$0.33 Dollars

This Month (Apr)
        170 Impressions

$1.03 Dollars

Last Month (Mar)
        154 Impressions
        $7.38 CPM
        $1.14 Dollars

Views:
          Recipe Views:
          1 day - 10
          7 days - 73
          30 days - 236
          Ever - 4,725

All 14 Hubs
          1 day - 12
          7 days - 89
          30 days - 272
          Ever -  7,015

12. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

This month your CPM was $7, last month is was $8.  When you compare like to like it seems very similar and actually pretty high.  CPMs over shorter period vary pretty wildly, and CPMs tend to go down as traffic goes down (but not always). But when you look month by month, what do you see?

13. WriteAngled profile image73
      WriteAngledposted 10 years ago

That is a pretty good CPM. I count myself lucky to hit half of that, and on another account often sink below a quarter of that sum.

14. lovebuglena profile image85

You can have little views but if the CPM is very high you may end up making more than if you had higher views with very little CPM. Nothing is guaranteed. You never know how things will play out. I started out with under $2 a month but then started making at least $4 a month. Now I make between $6 and $10 or so, though for a few months I've had under $4 when a lot of my hubs changed to not being featured. After they went back to being featured after the QAP I am back to making between $6 and $10. I wish it was more though but better than nothing. I wish I knew how some make the $50 payout on a monthly basis.

1. Barbara Kay profile image74
        Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

lovebuglena, If you want to earn the $50 payout every month, you've got to write about the right things. I noticed you have a lot of recipe hubs. I don't do that well with those. Try another niche. I hope this helps you.

Oddly - those are the ones that ARE getting clicks (especially the Wickles recipe).  I haven't posted many articles - I did so for about a month and then have just been checking back occasionally to see how well it's doing -

I've been tinkering with an idea and may start posting again - but have been very limited on time due to work/spending time with an elder friend (leaving me a couple of hours a day and 1 day for chores on the weekend).  But I think it'd turn out to be a good blog..

15. Writer Fox profile image32
      Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

@lovebuglena:  I just wanted to let you know that the Google+ link on your Profile page isn't working.

16. bac2basics profile image85
      bac2basicsposted 10 years ago

Hi Perry.
      I have to agree with Barbera, my recipe hubs hardly get looked at either. My most popular hub which is not a recipe has had over 23.000 hits in a year and daily I get on average 150 hits all told but I have still only had 2 payments so far ( during my year on HP) and they amount to less than 100 dollars

17. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 10 years ago

Perry,

Did you ever read the part of the HubPages TOS where it says that disclosing earnings, CPM or clicks is a violation?  Are you aware that the Google AdSense TOS says the same thing?

I did NOT - thanks for the heads up!  It appears that my post was edited (and that I cannot edit it myself) to fix the problem.

18. Writer Fox profile image32

Hey Relache:  Why then are there Hubs on this site where people disclose their earnings?  Just wondering.

You can disclose broad totals and I think most of the Hubpages on this subject do that (might be wrong) - if they don't they should be flagged for violating the TOS.

2. relache profile image72
        relacheposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Saying just how many clicks equaled x amount fo dollars is where you get busted.  If the data you disclose can't be tied to specific pages, actions or specifically performance-analyzed, you're okay.

That's why HubPages themselves say that users average $2-4 per 1,000 page views for Hub ads.

19. Writer Fox profile image32

Cool.  So, that's about one chicken per 4,000 – 5,000 page views. I love math problems.

20. StitchTheDamned profile image66
      StitchTheDamnedposted 10 years ago

I am at almost 450 views and I haven't even reached a dollar yet. I have had an adsense account from the beginning. To me it seems crazy to make $4-$5 from just 40-50 views. But, I suppose that it depends on the clicks. Clicks are worth more than views. Sometimes the trends on how many actual clicks you get will vary, even when you have a whole lot of views.

21. yupperclub profile image60
      yupperclubposted 10 years ago

1) copy cat recipe
      2) many people linking to the same recipe
      3) you're no longer that exclusive

22. dailytop10 profile image85
      dailytop10posted 10 years ago

I envy your CPM..mine barely reaches $2..i did a brief research about CPM before and I discovered that it has to do with the location of your viewers...If you really want to improve your earnings, try to make more recipes having the same nature as your successful one...Sorry to be a bit rude but even 1000 views per month can't be considered massive...I have an average of 2k views per day and I'm pretty certain that many experienced hubbers have more...so make more hubs and you'll surely be among the most successful hubbers in no time  based on your current CPM.

23. Nationette profile image68
      Nationetteposted 10 years ago

how do you even get "massive amount of hub views"? i'm just starting and genuinely just wondering.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)