Higher Earning Potential........Squidoo or HubPages?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (14 posts)
  1. RaksTheBlogger profile image85
    RaksTheBloggerposted 10 years ago

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/7940395.jpg
    What do you folks think??

1. Susana S profile image95
      Susana Sposted 10 years agoin reply to this

At the moment Squidoo is having a downturn so right now I'd say Hubpages. That can all change though.

2. profile image0
      Marie Brannonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

For me, deciding which site is best is like trying to nail Jell-O to the wall.  I started with Suite101 about five years ago, wrote a couple hundred articles and was happy with it until the First Big Panda hit  - and practically wiped it off the map.

Then, on to Examiner.com.  I was the Houston History Examiner, and it was also fun until one of the Pandas hit it.  Today it is soooo filled with pop-ups that I don't see how anybody can read an article. 

Squidoo?  I thought it was a joke, but a more politically correct way of phrasing that would be: Squidoo's business model and my brain were never able to find any common ground.

I've tried Demand Studios, Associated Content, and eHow, giving each one at least a few months if not a year.  None of them ever made more than a few dollars a month for me, some only a few pennies. 

These days I have resigned myself to the fact that writing online content won't pay my mortgage or make any other significant contribution to my financial situation.  Perhaps I don't write the 'right' stuff, or perhaps my writing skills are deficient, or perhaps (as Ewbie might say) the world just isn't ready for my particular brand of brilliance.  smile

2. RaksTheBlogger profile image85
    RaksTheBloggerposted 10 years ago

Hmmmm........yes.That is true.But I just can't decide which is better so I'm writing for both!Lol;)

1. Barbara Kay profile image74
      Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Writing for both at the same time is a good idea. You never know what Google is going to do next. Don't keep all your eggs in one basket they say. I like Hubpages best, but that may be because I haven't hardly written at Squidoo yet.

3. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 10 years ago

Which site has the higher earning potential depends more on your chosen topics and skill as a writer, and whether you can determine which site is a better location for specific types of content.

4. Healthy Pursuits profile image80
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 10 years ago

When I was looking at Squidoo, I came to the conclusion that product reviews and discussing things to buy or crafts where you buy craft items seemed to work best. That's not the kind of writing I enjoy. I also don't care for their tiered payment structure where everyone earns but only the top tier gets most of the income.

HubPages isn't a huge earner by any means, but at least you have a level field when it comes to making some money. It also works much better for the kind of writing I do.

5. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

HP is absolutely the best game in town at the moment. Party on! big_smile

6. livinggood profile image61
    livinggoodposted 10 years ago

I say go with both and then you tell us which is the better earner. That's your best option until somebody that's done it for a while comments.

7. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 10 years ago

I don't write on Squidoo because I don't write the kinds of articles that will benefit from huge amounts of adverts added by me e.g. Amazon etc. I simply have little (actually zero) interest in writing the sales type articles that seem to be so popular on Squidoo. I do okay here, nothing life changing, but enough to justify the effort I put in each month (certainly a reasonable amount of pocket money to see me through two or three weeks). Whilst I don't always agree with the way the site changes are made and how they implemented, I will not leave here completely until my earnings drop to under a dollar or so a day.

8. Writer Fox profile image32
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

Since late October, 2012, Squidoo.com traffic has nosedived from a high of 1,872,554 unique visitors per day to 622,878 – a decrease of 66.74%. Translate that to the equivalent drop in income.

Squidoo.com is being hit severely by inbound links falling off. Since late February, Squidoo has lost 16 million backlinks, which are links pointing to pages on the site. It lost one million backlinks just this week. (There are 400,000 articles on the site available for search engines to index.)

Not only that, but there is linkspam pointing to the site: 2,544,926 inbound links using ‘autism’ in the anchor text, over 7,000 using ‘buy calias’, over 2.5 million for ‘PPI claims advice’ which is Payment Protection Insurance exclusive to the UK, and on and on.

Further, Squidoo had literally tens of thousands of links to advertisers and affiliates that were followed links, in clear violation of Google Webmaster guidelines.

According to company announcements, Squidoo has received warnings from Google about the quality of its content and has made an effort within the past 30 days to clean up its act.  That effort is not working. It is too little and far too late to clean up what has become a spammer's paradise, riddled with webspam content.  Squidoo has slapped a NoFollow on EVERY outbound link, making it the only site on the entire Internet other than Wikipedia which doesn't reference any other site on the Web, not even YouTube, Google or Wikipedia.  For two days, Squidoo even took the ridiculous step of NoFollow on internal links within its own site, not even recommending its own pages to search engines!

Every new article published on that site since the last public Google PageRank update shows a grey bar when it should show a 0 if the site were healthy. The next visible PageRank update (which has been ongoing behind the scenes since February 4th) is expected next week. I think this next update might very well be the Google Penguin algorithm at work that Google’s Matt Cutts warned on March 12 “will be one of the most talked-about updates of the year.”

The PageRank for the site is PR7 right now.  Expect this to drastically change within the next seven days.

Just like the much ridiculed book by Squidoo founder Seth Godin, ' Tribes: We Need You to Lead Us', the tribe was running that website instead of a leader.

1. Susana S profile image95
      Susana Sposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wow! Thanks for posting all of that WriterFox. Those are some really interesting figures. It will also be interesting to see what changes they make over time, how long it takes the site to recover (if it ever does) and how individual accounts fare.

9. Kangaroo_Jase profile image73
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 10 years ago

Both sites have similarities, and they also have marked differences. Different writers who use both sites also have different articles, varying experiences and different amounts of time involved on each site. Which one has the higher earning potential is extremely difficult to answer succinctly, due to too many factors.

The best approach is to write articles for both and after 18-24 months see how your experience for both sites pans out.

10. brandonhart100 profile image74
    brandonhart100posted 10 years ago

There are reasons to write on both and I have done so extensively. What Writer Fox has said is true and probably makes HubPages the place to write for at the current time; however, before March this was not the case and I'd say as far as earnings are concerned it was much easier at Squidoo.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)