Flashing Ads

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (14 posts)
  1. aravindb1982 profile image77
    aravindb1982posted 10 years ago

I thought that flashing ads and pop-up ads would not appear on HubPafges. But I have consistently been seeing several flashing ads on my hubs and some of them are not very nice - lingerie and nightclubs - nothing related to the hub.

The recentmost one is about a numerologist Diana who will reveal one's future. It appears on this hub:

http://aravindb1982.hubpages.com/hub/Sa … i-Sai-Baba

Are such ads HubPages ads? Are they allowed?

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/7954156_f248.jpg

1. Simone Smith profile image86
      Simone Smithposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for pointing this out, aravindb1982- these sound like ads that aren't allowed on HubPages. Should you see any more, please contact Marina directly via this channel: http://hubpages.com/help-answer/affilia … m-with-ad/

She's the one who hunts down these errant ads... and DECIMATES THEM.

2. aravindb1982 profile image77
    aravindb1982posted 10 years ago

Thanks Simone for the prompt reply.

I shall do as you say immediately! smile

Loved your choice of words - would love to see these ads DECIMATED.

1. profile image51
      alicemamaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think that a good forum for us to provide a venue for the exchange, rather than let some spam links exist. Of course, useful links are better, more convenient.

2. Marina Lazarevic profile image77
      Marina Lazarevicposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi aravindb1982! I replied to your email yesterday and requested screenshots of the ads. If you're referring to the ad in your original post, I'm afraid it does not violate our ad guidelines.

By "flashing ads", I assume you mean blinking ads, or ads that use excessive animation to garner attention from readers (like this one but with animation.) Those are definitely against our policy guidelines.

Please correct me if I'm wrong about the characterization of the ad you posted!

aravindb1982posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the reply Marina. The ad which I referred to does not keep blinking throughout. But as the page loads, the picture comes up and then 3-4 random numbers do flash on the ad in bright blue and green. Then, the ad becomes static. I thought that might get classified as a blinking ad.

2. aravindb1982 profile image77

Also, Marina, here is another similar ad that came today. Right in front of my eyes, it changes and shows three separate image plates with dramatic transitions. Will that not be considered a "flashing" ad? I do not know how to capture a video and so I attach a screen-shot of the ad by Dr.Batra's beauty clinic for an acne-free life which is coming for a hub on Religion and Philosophy - Supernatural experiences...

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/7974446_f248.jpg

1. Marina Lazarevic profile image77

These two ads, while unattractive, do not violate our site's ad policies. The flashing and animation would need to be excessive. Google AdSense tends to not accept ads with those attributes, so it would be rare to find one on the site. If you are unhappy with an ad for whatever reason, you can report it to Google by clicking on the "Ads by Google" link in the top left corner of the ad. I'd also suggest checking out this FAQ entry for more information on how AdSense matches its ads to different pages and users.

Sorry to state the obvious, but I was a little unclear in my post above. You can only report Google ads to Google, of course! smile

Thank you Marina for the clarifications. Things are much clearer for me. I shall get back to you if I have any other doubts. smile

Thanks, Aravind!

3. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

Of the well-known websites, Yahoo is the most famous for obnoxious ads. And this concludes my rant for the day. big_smile

4. grand old lady profile image85
    grand old ladyposted 10 years ago

I've been getting obnoxious ads on the Google search page and Facebook. I think I got it after I downloaded what I thought was a software that would help me out. Ever since then all these irritating things have been popping up.

That is indeed an interesting observation. Shall check it out with a computer scan though I don't think that is the problem with me here because I have a good anti-virus installed. Thank you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)