Does Dr. Phil give good Advice?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (12 posts)
  1. my-success-guru profile image56
    my-success-guruposted 14 years ago

Does he really give good advice? Well, I've personally tried a lot of Dr. Phils' advice and I can really say that although Dr. Phil might sound a little different with his Texan slang, and entertaining style, he really does offer good sound advice that really can improve the quality of your life if you apply it. Sometimes Dr. Phil's advice might seem like common sense but remember what sounds like common sense to you might not sound like common sense to someone else because we all have blind spots. Try this experiment.

Did you know we all have blind spots? It's true - we do. Look at the diagram below to locate the blind spot in your right eye. Flip the scale and you'll find the blind spot for your left eye.

Here's how: begin by focusing directly on the number 7 on the left end of the diagram. Now hold the book about six inches out in front of you. Next, close your left eye; continue focusing on the black question mark on the far right of the diagram in your right eye's peripheral vision. Now remain focused on the number 7 and gradually push the book away from you. At about fifteen inches away, you'll discover the black dot will vanish.

-------------------------------------------------------?

7 6 5 4 3 3 2 1

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nice experiment. Dr. Phil is an entertainer. As far as his advice is concerned, if you consider being publicly bullied and humiliated as therapy he may be good.
      Just another pop psych.

1. profile image0
        girly_girl09posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have always wondered about that! Do they pay so much that professionals actually want to go on the show with their wives to be exposed as a cheater or a liar? I remember one episode where a wife was understandably upset with her husband who had an affair.

He went on there as well as his face and name! Wouldn't his patients at his practice see it and perhaps want to go to another doctor?

Unbelievable. You couldn't pay me a million dollars to go through family therapy on a national tv show (although the ratings have dropped so much, maybe you wouldn't even be recognized)

2. my-success-guru profile image56

Hey Earnest and Girly Girl
    Hmmm makes you wonder if his marriage is really any better behind closed doors.

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would doubt Dr. Phil is capable of an intimate relationship, like many who love the limelight he appears too narcissisticaly cathected to cope with it.

3. my-success-guru profile image56

Yeah I think he could get pretty worked up when he's off camera but I don't know I'm not there. It would be interesting to be a fly I the wall.

4. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

I've got a psych education myself, though only a Bachelor's Degree rather than a PhD. (In the Army's basic training program, at least in 1964, if they noticed you had a B.S. Degree, they'd point out what B.S. stood for, and then add that "PhD" really stands for "Piled Higher and Deeper".)

Phil McGraw does bully people; no doubt about that.  His Texas style doesn't throw me off as it surely does some, but perhaps that's because I'm basically an ol' cowboy from Montana.  But what I do giggle about every now and then is his "Hide The Stuff You Cain't Fix" approach, which is obviously utilized to keep the ratings from tanking--can't blame him for that, since it's a commercial setup from the git-go.

One example popped up strongly on a show my wife and I watched just the other day.  We only get one channel of TV, due to the fact that we're on antenna in a remote area of Arizona.  Oddly enough, it's an NBC station but imports Dr. Phil rerun "classics".

The episode to which I refer is one where a fat mother had super-fattened her four year old boy to an astounding 155 pounds.  She was a doozy, that lady, and also her Mom--neither woman could hear anything but her own mental defenses pounding around inside her skull.  She was obviously beyond help by a gazillion miles.

In the final followup minutes, they talked about the fact that the boy had ballooned to around 180 pounds when his father went to court and gained custody.  By the time we saw the program, Daddy had apparently slimmed the kid down by a full 100 pounds.  (Don't know the time span.) 

The "Hide The Stuff" part was this: NO followup mention was made regarding the clearly mentally ill mother and grandmother who had Porky Pigged the youngster in the first place.  Pam and I would not be surprised in the least to hear that, torn from the kid whose face they were stuffing, both of those Food Is Love ladies had committed suicide.  If they did, however, you can bet we won't hear about it directly from Dr. Phil.

Though we might from the tabloids.

5. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 14 years ago

Well, if you like the following advice, you're in luck:
    "No dog ever peed on a moving car."
    "Opinions are like as*es, everyone's got one."

6. profile image0
    DarwinsLaureateposted 14 years ago

Dr. Phil IMHO is a decent guy trying to help people.

He should eat Dr. Laura sometime...the sooner, the better.

But of course, nothing sells without drama.

7. Pete Maida profile image60
    Pete Maidaposted 14 years ago

Dr. Phil may have been good at one time; now he is just a TV person.  He has a staff that checks people out and they feed in information for spew out in front of the camera.
    The only TV expert I believed was Carl Sagan because he stayed on topic and he found ways of making real information understandable to the layman.

8. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

If the purpose of Dr. Phil's TV appearances was really to help and educate people he wouldn't be such a jerk about it. No one gets 'cured' of anything by being told to shape up and get a clue. If it was really that easy, we wouldn't even need mental health professionals.

I think he kind of degrades and debases his guests and his profession--whether he lists that as 'entertainer' or 'psychologist.' He's kind of the Jerry Springer of pop psych, IMO. smile

9. Jake Duke profile image59
    Jake Dukeposted 14 years ago

Personally, always thought he was a fraud and a made for TV Guru by the big O. Before he became famous I read an article about him in people Magazine where he advised a wife to leave her husband because he constantly forgot important dates and did not buy gifts. I swear that's true. Years & years ago. Never liked him since.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)