On food stamps? Don't say CHEESE in WI

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)
  1. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 10 years ago

Geez. No wonder Wisconsin's dairy cows want to come to California!!
    This makes no sense economically to the state or nutritionally to food stamp recipients (especially young kids).
    What are they thinking?
    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/05/0 … ood-Stamps

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 10 years ago

...sooooo.....what are 'authorities' thinking....poor folk shouldn't buy cheese....wtf......it's better if some folks buy Kraft processed cheese slices i guess..........................................so ridiculous!

3. profile image0
    JaxsonRaineposted 10 years ago

The update allows 1/3 of the food stamp balance to be spent on junk food. It's not just cheese(which, to be fair, is a very expensive food item), it's junk food.

Personally, I think all SNAP programs should be revamped to disallow the purchase of junk food. You can buy chips, candy bars, soda, TV dinners, and other food full of preservatives and chemicals... and it shouldn't be that way.

Daily Kos is, quite possible, the biggest joke in 'news'.

"hatred of poor people and stupidity... they just hate poor people..." etc...

Sorry, if people are going to take money from other taxpayers to buy food, they shouldn't be able to buy crap with it. We already have something like 40% of kids being obese, maybe if they don't stuff their faces with junk food and fast food we can change that. I see no problem with this.

1. wilderness profile image93
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

But according to that (sooo unbiased) article it is the "Dairy state".  And it will hurt the dairy farmers!  And they wear plastic cheese wedges on their heads!

All excellent reasons that the change was stupid.

Although I tend to agree the bill is a rather stupid one, I like to think that I could come up with better reasons than that were I to write in opposition.  And when I did, I wouldn't include such nonsense in anything I wrote.  It does, after all, make the author look like a total idiot and rather ruins any point he might be trying to make.

1. profile image0
        JaxsonRaineposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Do you really think that poor people should be able to buy Doritos, Coca Cola, and Oreos with money that is taken from other taxpayers? Not only are those foods *not* nutritional, they contribute to our obesity and diabetes problem, which yet again tax payers end up picking up the tab for treating.

Forcing some citizens to pay for the food of others is legalized theft. Forcing those citizens to pay for the medical bills incurred from the junk food those poor people buy and eat is just ludicrous.

1. wilderness profile image93
          wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

No, people should not be buying junk food on the public dollar.  But cheese is not junk food and that's where the bill becomes stupid.

The article, on the other hand, somehow ties in Wisconsin being a dairy state to the bill being stupid - the actual reasons and arguments for the bill are set aside in favor of state pride and business profits.  Those become the reason it's a bad bill, and that concept makes the author even more stupid than the bill is.

4. profile image0
    JaxsonRaineposted 10 years ago

Also, just because the representative only mentioned a couple cheeses doesn't mean that Velveeta will be allowed. The bill calls for the Department of Heath Services to create a list of unhealthy foods, and they won't be allowed.

Has anyone, here or at Daily Kos, criticizing this bill, looked at what is actually being limited? I didn't think so.

5. profile image50
    Lie Detectorposted 10 years ago

If you're going to the Dailykos for news you probably are not really interested in news but rather interested in hysterics. That being said I do not think we need to legislate what people eat, if they want chips and cheese they should be allowed to have it.

6. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

A few years back my husband's work had to do a bunch of cutbacks, as a result, he lost his well-paying job. Luckily, I had just gotten a job, but it was low-paying. (I made a little more than I did here on HPs. smile)

Anyway, he made it his full time job to get a new job. It only took two weeks, but the job made a third of what he had made. We still had 3 kids living at home, food to buy, bills to pay and a mortgage. We would have been happy to sell the house, but it was impossible. It was more likely that we would have to lose it.

So we went thru the steps... what should we do to keep our kids alive... to keep our family afloat. We applied for the food stamps and were awarded them. We were on them for 10 mos. and are off now. We had paid our taxes and happily given to those in need for over 20 years. We had never expected to need assistance ourselves. Never. But we thank God for His provision and for a country where we do all care for friends, family, neighbor and countryman. It's the kind of a country the rest of the world wishes it could be a part of.

I work at a grocery store and deal with food stamps and the ppl who need them on a daily basis. I see that ppl buy junk food and that is not the best choice, obviously. I used to hear a few kids (and even a few immature adults) I worked with, make negative comments about some of these situations. I wasn't ashamed though, I was grateful and I would tell them I was on them at the time. They would change their tune when they heard that b/c they had always had a healthy amount of respect for me.

The thing is, none of us knows what our future holds, nor do we know another person's story. Being judgmental for any reason, is usually the wrong choice. When it comes down to it, I will pay my taxes and help my neighbor whether they buy soda or water. I will do my best not to judge them for what goes across the conveyer belt. As long as their family is in a warm home and their children are fed, that's all that really matters in the long run, and if I did anything to help make that happen, *I'm better off for it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)