Can You Face Your Own History?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (38 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 10 years ago

http://rabble.ca/blogs/bloggers/gerry-c … y-revealed

This article got me thinking.  65,000 civilians were slaughtered, purposely, by American forces.

American history began with the genocide of the Native Americans and the theft of their land.

We also killed untold numbers of civilians with the bombing of Dresden and the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki (in my opinion, the after effects of the radiation probably weren't fully understood at the time, so this won't factor into my analysis) in World War II.

"Aside from physical injury and damage, the most significant effect of the atomic bombs was the sheer terror which it struck into the peoples of the bombed cities. This terror, resulting in immediate hysterical activity and flight from the cities, had one especially pronounced effect: persons who had become accustomed to mass air raids had grown to pay little heed to single planes or small groups of planes, but after the atomic bombings the appearance of a single plane caused more terror and disruption of normal life than the appearance of many hundreds of planes had ever been able to cause before. The effect of this terrible fear of the potential danger from even a single enemy plane on the lives of the peoples of the world in the event of any future war can easily be conjectured."  http://avalon.law.yale.edu/20th_century/mp24.asp

During the Korean War, we killed approximately 30% of the population.  http://www.globalresearch.ca/know-the-f … 950s/22131

With the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, the numbers have not yet been told.  Nor are there complete statistics on the number of civilian casualties caused by our extensive use of drones. 

Also, don't forget about the whole slavery and rampant sexism aspect of American history either.

1. Superkev profile image60
      Superkevposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm trying really hard to see your point here.

People shouldn't die in wars? Your tone suggests you think that we were responsible for WWII and Korea.

The atomic bomb saved us from having to invade the home islands and losing an estimated 1 million American lives and prolonging the war by at least a couple years.

How many British civilians were 'purposely' killed by the Nazi's? You sound as if we should have just left Hitler to do what he did. Are you unaware of the atrocities committed by the Japanese in WWII? Ever heard of the rape of Nanking?? I suppose we should have just played nice with them too after they bombed Pearl Harbor?

If you fight a war, you fight to win, people die. I really fail to see what point you are trying to make here.

1. profile image0
        Sooner28posted 10 years agoin reply to this

At least you didn't defend Vietnam.  I can say that much for you.

My point is that, even though war is barbaric, there are certain rules that a "moral soldier" is to follow, one of which is to not intentionally kill civilians who are not on the battlefield.  We completely and knowingly violated that with World War II.

Your points about Japanese atrocities are irrelevant to the point I am making.  I did not claim World War II was an immoral war overall.  However, let's examine exactly what your justification of bombing innocent civilians in Hiroshima and Nagasaki entails.

You are claiming that ANYTHING goes that ends a war early.  The faster it ends for the "'good guys," at whatever cost, the better.  So, no matter how many Japanese civilians had to die, all that matters is the war ended and we won.

I can also turn the argument back on you.  Since civilians are not fair game in a war, and you have already claimed "people die" in a war, then there should be no question that the allies should have sacrificed more soldiers in order to beat the Japanese, and not taken the easy and cowardly way out by killing civilians.

Ia m going to make a well educated assumption that you have never been in the military nor fought in a war.

In the 1940's war was different and bombing was imprecise at best. You want to assign blame, give it to the regimes who began these wars.

1. innersmiff profile image67
            innersmiffposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You're missing the whole point: in the event of a vicious regime arising, is an "anything goes" attitude justified? You don't need to have been in the military to be able to clearly answer that question.

1. wilderness profile image94
              wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That answer must be "No, not anything goes".

That does not mean, however, that it is necessary to simply soak up military causalities until the enemy runs out of bullets.

Has anyone suggested we lay down and die, or just 'let them win'? No, only that aggressive interventionism is hardly ever the right policy.

2. Superkev profile image60

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
            George S. Patton

Once hostilities have begun, you fight to win, period.

1. profile image0

That's exactly what the terrorists claim.  That's why they don't care about civilian deaths.

1. wilderness profile image94
                wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, terrorists care, and care a great deal, about civilian deaths.  Those deaths are the goal of their action, after all.  The more the better.

1. profile image0

Huh?  That's what I said...terrorists don't care about avoiding civilian casualties, i.e. they don't care about civilian deaths.  In fact, that is their target.

The United State's target in Japan was civilians also.

The United States targeted Military and industrial targets that were part of the Japanese war making capacity. Did civilians die? Of course they did, as they did in Nanking, The Philippines and any other place the Japanese invaded and subjugated. That is the nature of war during that time period.

Ever heard of Unit 731? I thought not. All you want to do is bash the US.

2. janesix profile image61
    janesixposted 10 years ago

Yes, Americans have been just as bad as any other empire in history. Maybe a little worse than most.

3. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 10 years ago

I think most Americans count WWII in a different category, for valid reason.

Not a lot of sympathy for Dresden bombing.
    60 million killed in WWII. We did not initiate that war.
    Germans relentlessly bombed London, took over every country they could in Europe.
    Not to mention the Holocaust. Conservative count 5,750 Jews.

Interesting recap of bloodiest battles.
    http://www.militaryeducation.org/10-blo … ld-war-ii/

1. profile image0

I don't see what relevance the Germans bombing London has to do with us bombing Dresden.  One mass of civilian casualties in response of another?

2. Superkev profile image60

I think there were a few more than just 5,700 people killed in the concentration camps. I am hoping that was a typo.

3. innersmiff profile image67

I blame the west for creating the economic environment in Germany that incentivesed resentment and extremism.

No wars are just.

Yes, there are indeed just wars. Or should we have just left the victims of the Holocaust and the atrocities of the Japanese to their fate?

Last I looked, Germany was part of the 'west'. You show a deep misunderstanding of history.

Yeah poor Germany, they were driven to exterminating Jews, mentally disabled, gypsies and other undesirables. Not their fault right> If only we had just left them alone they would not have been forced to commit atrocities and genocide.

Good lord.

Being specific, I am referring to the coalition of Britain, France, the US and others to cripple Germany's economy completely in response to the First World War, which in turn was the fault of the old-style military industrial complex.

I am not arguing that the Germans and the Nazis didn't have free will, but neither I am taking your extreme that they just sprouted up out of nowhere and anything is justified to stop them. The best way to learn from World War 2 is to figure out how best to avoid a situation like it in the future, not how aggressively we're going to respond to one.

No intervention in the form of the First World War and there's no Hitler, holocaust or Second World War.

1. Josak profile image59
            Josakposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well certainly Perry's expedition to Japan was a big part of Japan becoming an enemy to the US because we had already effectively already committed an act of war.

2. Silverspeeder profile image61
            Silverspeederposted 10 years agoin reply to this

No intervention in the form of the First World War and there's no Hitler, holocaust or Second World War.

No France, No Britain and no free Europe either.

If you don't respond to force you become the victims.

No intervention in the First World War and there's no First World War. It was a scam cooked up by the military industrial complex - far from any humanitarian cause.

4. Dr Billy Kidd profile image90
      Dr Billy Kiddposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Mighty Mom, thanks for the link about WW II. I did not know about the battle in Italy or the one in the Philippines.

I'm not sure what the original discussion is about. I just know that the rich draft the poor to fight wars in order to get richer. And they do that by getting their country's folks to hate some other country. Interestingly, the major companies and fortunes leading in to WW II in Japan and German were maintained afterwards. So the rich in those countries didn't really lose much...mostly the poor folks did.

4. maxoxam41 profile image65
    maxoxam41posted 10 years ago

The US intervened in the first world war because the economy was down. It boomed our economy. Hitler was the least of our concern. Many of our companies in fact nourished the nazi propaganda and economy. The Marshall plan that helped France, Britain... was guaranteeing us an indefectible alliance until now.
    Which force are you referring to? Are you justifying what is wrong?

We are responsible of the biggest holocaust with the Indian massacre. We are responsible of using the first atomic bomb on civilians, we are responsible of most instability in the world... our history and future is not glorious at all.

1. profile image49
      Lie Detectorposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure you are correct that Hitler was the least of our concern in the first world war, we didn't get too excited about corporals.

1. maxoxam41 profile image65
        maxoxam41posted 10 years agoin reply to this

It was in the second world war.

1. profile image49
          Lie Detectorposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I know, I responded to this.

"The US intervened in the first world war because the economy was down. It boomed our economy. Hitler was the least of our concern."

2. Silverspeeder profile image61
      Silverspeederposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The force used against Britain, the only way to deal with force is by force.
      I take it you are responsible for what your forefather did, I am quite sure that I am not.

1. maxoxam41 profile image65
        maxoxam41posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Britain has a military force and can defend itself. The fact that it was an island played an important role in winning against the Germans. Its superior naval and air floats also scored points. England didn't need the US.
        I am responsible of what we are doing today and in the future. Nowadays Germans are not responsible of the rise of the nazis in the thirties or are they?
        I am ashamed of what we are doing nationally and internationally; When we set up young people for the coverup of the FBI, when we drone innocent civilians in remote regions of the world.

This is what you get when you are educated by union members.

1. profile image56
            Education Answerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  England needed the U.S.

“To have the United States at our side was to me the greatest joy. Now at this very moment I knew the United States was in the war, up to the neck and in to the death. So we had won after all!…Hitler’s fate was sealed. Mussolini’s fate was sealed. As for the Japanese, they would be ground to powder.”

Winston Churchill

2. Dr Billy Kidd profile image90
        Dr Billy Kiddposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm only responsible for what happened with my forebearers when it UNCONSCIOUSLY affects what I'm doing. People hand down dysfunction from generation to generation. And the unquestioned urge to hate and go kill has been handed down by whole societies for 8,000 years. My responsibility is to let go of it.

1. profile image0

You are correcto

5. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 10 years ago

I'm glad to see this post at least got people thinking.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)