Does the Quran condemn violence and bloodletting?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (39 posts)
  1. andrew savage profile image58
    andrew savageposted 10 years ago

Can someone who has studied Islamic literature/scripture explain that killing people for having different religious view is not okay in the Quran?

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Surely the point is that the Old Testament of the bible is just as bloodthirsty.  God telling his people to commit genocide is fairly clear, IMO.  Pot calling the kettle black if you ask me.

2. Monisa Ahmed profile image57
    Monisa Ahmedposted 10 years ago

m.youtube.com/watch?v=kxaOvvXCdwo
    I hope this vedio answers your question. May God bless you.

3. Monisa Ahmed profile image57

m.youtube.com/watch?v=D7gRIPj6rYs

1. Mathew James profile image77
      Mathew Jamesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

There are three basic battles that are recorded in the Glorious Qur'an.  They are similar in purpose to the ones recorded in the Torah.  The purpose of these battles whose to test the men of faith that were fighting in the cause of the Book, which is from the One and Only One.  He is our only Protector, Provider, Sustainer.  The battles that are recorded in the Book, (Torah, Gospel, Qur'an) ended when the Book was finished.  The Qur'an clearly states that we are to wait until the end and then the One and Only One shall show us our differences and why.

4. amer786 profile image82
    amer786posted 10 years ago

In the second chapter of The Holy Quran (Al-Baqara) verse 256 is one of the most well known and oft quoted which directly answers your question. Here is the verse . . .

"There is no compulsion in religion. Verily, the right path has become distinct from the wrong path. Whoever disbelieves in transgression and believes in God, then he has grasped the most trustworthy handle that will never break. And God is All-Knowing, All-Hearing."

Now it is important to note that some so-called Muslim scholars hold that certain verses of The Quran have abrogated earlier ones and they will post one that is in apparent contradiction. They also present The Sunnah (a body of work that encapsulates the practices of Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him) where he apparently (God forbid) put apostates and put infidels to death.

We at The Ahmadiyya Movement in Islam (followers of The Messiah and Mahdi prophesized by Prophet Muhammad, Mirza Ghulam Ahmad of Qadian) completely reject any Hadith (traditions and sayings of Prophet Muhammad peace be on him) or Sunnah that violates any injunction of The Quran. We also reject the concept of abrogation and believe that all verses of The Quran are held as Heavenly Law for all time to come in this world. God in the Quran in Chapter 15 verse 9 reveals that “Surely it is We who have revealed The Exposition (Quran), and surely it is We who are its guardians”. Any other body of work be it Hadith or Sunnah does not enjoy this divine protection.

Therefore, the verse 2:256, in our belief is the tell-all and end-all regarding this matter. The verses of The Quran calling for battle and confrontation have their own context. A practical proof of this is the document that prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) delivered to the monks of St. Catherine’s monastery at Mt. Sinai known as ‘The Charter of Privileges’. In it, the Holy Prophet (peace be on him) forbids all Muslims till the Day of Judgment to attack any Church or Christian on the basis of their religion. I suggest you seek this document on internet and read it. This document is proof of the truth that Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) never violated any laws or injunctions in the verses of The Quran. If contradictions have followed in Hadith and Sunnah or scholars have made theories of abrogation, these must be rejected as innovations.

God Bless

1. A Troubled Man profile image59
      A Troubled Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sunnah or not, you should read about the Muslim Conquests in which Muslims spread Islam by the sword, murdering millions over centuries of conquering the known world.

In alot of ways your comment "Sunnah or not" is at the root of this issue.   There are several sects of Islam that follow the Sunnah and Hadith as if the documents are Divine Guidence.  The sects that follow these documents are following the stories of what their forefathers have told them and many Muslims are being led astary into violent behaviors.   If people just read the Holy Qur'an without any outside influence, and then contemplate on what it says, that is the best.   The Qur'an is a clear message to all who drink from it freely.

Exactly, and it is a book of myths and superstitions for the Arab culture, filled with deceit and lies.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
            Uninvited Writerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

So, it's the same as the Bible smile

Only the names and places have been changed to protect the innocent... or was it the guilty?

2. Taalib Pugh1 profile image68
              Taalib Pugh1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

The Qur'an is not the same as the Bible it's the Last Revelations not the Gospels of Essa well known as Jesus.

2. amer786 profile image82
          amer786posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Matthew, you are spot-on. In verse 25:30 of The Glorious Quran is a great prophecy exactly regarding this . . .

"O my Lord, my people indeed treated this Quran as a thing abandoned."

2. Taalib Pugh1 profile image68

Give us the proof of these conquest at least name one and give the proof of this conquest and the clear details explaining it being an Islamic conquest. Also give the source of proof.

How about an example that came to light only recently when Pope Francis canonized 800 Italians who were beheaded because they refused to convert to Islam, captured during a raid on Otranto in Puglia in southern Italy. Their skulls still line the walls of Otranto cathedral.

5. Monisa Ahmed profile image57

Tel me Mathew, from your explanation it doesn't seem to me that you hate Islam. What do you think of believing in God?...

Peace to you Monisa, my love is for all the Prophets, none above the other, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Lot, Mosses, David, Solomon, Jesus, Muhammad.  There were many Prophets and Muhammad was the last Prophet.   The One and Only One, the Almighty Creator of ALL  has sent His message to every nation and the message is even written in our night sky.  Yes, the constellations repeat the same message as the Book.  However, most Muslims are taught to be afraid of the stars and never have the opportunity to learn the message written in the constellations.

1. Taalib Pugh1 profile image68

We don't need the constellations. He didn't send the constellations as revelation. ALLAAH sent The Qur'an. It is sufficient for mankind. This The Word of ALLAAH, Al Furqan (criterion for mankind) The Last Revelation.

Read the Qur'an and seek the truth Taalib.  The Qur'an has many statements about the stars and the constellations.  Allah created the stars and gave the stars their names for a reason.  Very few people have spent the time to understand the message wriiten in the night sky, but the upright are commanded to watch the stars again and again.  I am amazed that Muslims do not know anything about the stars and yet if they learned the truth of what the constellations say, they would ponder the heavens many many times greater.  The signs in the night sky are for the upright to know and the constellations hold the Original Prophecy.

Look Mathew this is not what the Prophet Muhammad taught that studying the stars was the way you can obtain the Prophecy (being revelation). The Qur'an is perfect it needs no assistance.

yes the Qur'an needs no assistance it is a clear message from Allah,

1. profile image0
                riddle666posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Who told you?

2. A Troubled Man profile image59

No, it is not perfect, the table still wobbles. wink

6. Monisa Ahmed profile image57

Are you a Muslim James?

7. Monisa Ahmed profile image57

Are you a Muslim James?

Yes, Islam is the right path.  There is One God and One God Alone and Muhammad was His Last Messeneger.

1. Zelkiiro profile image88
        Zelkiiroposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Just like the Christians believe Jesus to be the last prophet, and just like the Jews believe Isaiah(?) to be the last prophet.

And just like the Sumerians believed rivers were made up of Enki's urine and that we were created by slave-driving aliens.

Isaiah never said he was the last prophet, neither did Jesus, he said that a comforter (being another prophet) will come. But the prophet Muhammad may the peace and blessing be upon him stated Himself besides the people believing in him as the Last Messenger and Prophet of ALLAAH.

8. Monisa Ahmed profile image57

Yes, I agree with you. I always wanted people to understand about Islam, It does not have any misconceptions as people say. It is a religion of greater understanding with reason and logic..why we have been given a task to accomplish and that we are not left alone in freedom. Allah knows all and hears everything. It is a religion of truth and total obedience and submission to Allah, most High and the most Compassionate.

Allah is the Greatest !!!

The greatest what?

We are told often enough from believers that it is inconceivable to compare us puny humans to Allah. Yet, you are doing that right now, by calling him "the Greatest!!!" because obviously, he can only be greater then us. smile

9. Monisa Ahmed profile image57

It's only a test to pass to enter the Eternity...

10. Monisa Ahmed profile image57

James, I recommend you to enrol in the Islamiconlineuniversity.com by Dr.Bilal Philips. InshAAllah , I see that you are a true believer. There are free courses to study and exams are given online. May Allah shower Blessings upon you. JazakAllah khairan!

thanks Monisa, i will check it out.

11. Monisa Ahmed profile image57

Amer786, what you say is correct , but I have a question here . We should never say that the Ahadith is totally a fabrication, we have the Sahih Ahadith related to Sahih al Bukhari and the Muslim that is totally authentic due to the commentaries in the Holy Quran. The Tawheed, which defines the uniqueness of the Almighty Allah and that it does says to be away from "the Shirk", that Allah alone is the Creator and the Sustainer and we do not give names and attributes of uniqueness, in lordship and in worship to anything besides Allah. Then we speak about peace , behavior, and total submission ( it is as if the soul of our body given to the Almighty), speaking refuge from the evil within yourself and so we bow to Allah in Repentance...No man is away from false, so it is a clear guidance to mankind.

1. amer786 profile image82

Monisa Ahmed, I am in total agreement. I never said Hadith is total fabrications. I only said that any Haidth or Sunnah that contradicts the Quran and cannot be reconciled in any acceptable form, only then it should be rejected as innovation or fabrication. What is important to note is that throughout history religion has been unduly leveraged to back someone’s politics. This happens a lot today especially in the Islamic world. And there is a strong possibility that many such Hadith were doctored or misinterpreted for political power and even to craft divisions and sectarianism in Islam.

I am in fact a big student of Hadith. There are many that agree with and even expand on the teachings of The Holy Quran. The wide body of Islamic Eschatology which we see materialize before our eyes is in fact contained in the Hadith. Also, like you mention the Sahih Muslim, Sahih Bukhari and Saha Sitha (the Six authentic works) are good systems for Hadith validation. But please remember, these are still human endeavors and cannot be held in divine authority. The Holy Quran is the final word, true and divine. Allah Almighty has accorded us an inestimable favor by securing its text which remains unaltered down the letter for over 1,400 years. In return, we should never do, say, or accept anything from outside it that compromises its teachings and the great ‘Seal of the Prophets’ Muhammad (peace be upon him) who was the medium for its dispensation to humanity.

Peace be with you and God Almighty Guide you.

That is what many consider the Quran, a fabrication of Muhammad, hence it is rejected.

No, it is the words of Muhammad and nothing more.

12. Monisa Ahmed profile image57

Amer786, I Agree with all your words...MashaAllah, you have a lot of knowledge about Islam. You are right if you say that we have to leave the Ahadith if it contradicts with the Al Quran. Do you have a Degree in Islamic Teachings Amer?

1. amer786 profile image82

Monisa, thank you for the kind words, I am not deserving. I am certainly no scholar, perhaps an aspiring seeker of Truth. Much of my knowledge comes for an intense two-year study conducted before joining The Ahmadiyya Muslim Community—since this was a big step and in fact against the advice of most Muslim scholars. Generally, I am weary of scholarship in religion. I think a lot of corruption in religion occurs at the hands of scholars. It is so-called scholars who lead ignorant Muslims into acts of terror and ungodly horror. Still, I am sure there are good scholars and saints too. In a famous Hadith the Prophet Muhammd (pbuh) called the so-called Muslim scholars of the latter-days as ‘the worst of creatures under the firmament ’. When we hear of these so-called Imams who exploit a young and tender mind with promises of Paradise and then ask them to go and kill indiscriminately in the cause of God and religion, has this prophecy not come true in our time? I believe so.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)