Does it bother you if you see someone barefoot in a public place?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (77 posts)
  1. Barefootfae profile image61
    Barefootfaeposted 11 years ago

Let say the grocery store or convenient store. That is as opposed to a park or a swimming pool or beach. In other words someone is fully barefoot in what in conventionally an unconventional setting.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Most stores, restaurants etc. do not allow you to be barefoot, I'm sure to do with insurance. I used to go barefoot all the time as a young teen (in the summer of course) so it doesn't bother me to see people go barefoot outdoors.

Barefootfaeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well I have been barefoot throughout all 4 walmart stores in my area and two grocery stores. My young son and I were walking into one of the grocery stores barefoot when the female manger on duty looked up and saw us. She looked for a second and got a big grin on her face and turned back to what she was doing. Might depend on your regional situation too.

1. profile image53
          tbreachposted 11 years agoin reply to this

agree.  Nobody has said anything to me at all, because there are no health codes (and they know it).

Freedom is great thing if we remember that it is protected under law.  Public accomodation without discrimation is a human right.

Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness...

2. Pearldiver profile image69
      Pearldiverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I believe going barefoot should only be acceptable if that person wears a Burka! sad

OMG.... Can you imagine how gross it would be if we were born with Bare Feet? yikes

Amazing!  roll

Just imagine how bad things would be if incredibly stupid people stood in the shadows (instead of HP Forums) and exposed their personalities to everyone!  roll

3. profile image0
      mts1098posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Unless it is an indoor food establishment, it does not bother me. I grew up at the boardwalk and mostly walked around in bare feet at the boardwalk eating places.  For an indoor sitting area I would be concerned about possible health hazards. I will say that one of my favorite music artists (Joss Stone) always performs in bare feet.

There are a good number of female artists that prefer to perform barefoot.
        I think it's cool and the audience relates to them. It makes for feeling comfortable with them.

4. prospectboy profile image86
      prospectboyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It doesn't bother me too much if it's in a convenience store, but in a restaurant or grocery store, it' definitely bothers me some. Basically anyplace where there is food that is not packaged.

2. Shanna11 profile image74
    Shanna11posted 11 years ago

I have to say if it is an unconventional setting like the grocery store, it does gross me out a bit. The pool is already gross enough-- my microbiology class swabbed the floors of pool changing rooms and pool decks in various locations and the stuff that grew was absolutely foul. Swabbing the bottom of a shoe provides cultures of fecal matter-- I can't imagine why people would walk barefoot in public places with that sort of junk all over the ground. It's a hygiene issue.

1. tohimilook profile image61
      tohimilookposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree that it is a hygiene issue.  I don't think people are aware.  I just don't like to see people barefoot in public.

2. Barefootfae profile image61

Well I understand these things. i also think a certain amount is ok especially considering there have been studies showing we are sanitizing our immune systems out of existence. The more we suit ourselves up against some of it, the less able our immune system becomes to fighting it.

1. Shanna11 profile image74
        Shanna11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's a good point, but I think there are other ways that aren't as icky.... like just using regular soap and water instead of hand sanitizer for cleaning hands  and surfaces.

3. profile image53

It's called washing your feet.  I wash mine at least twice a day.  I then use a natural anti-microbial foot balm.  My feet are cleaner than your shoes.

As we all know, germs don't enter the body through the foot or skin anyway.  It's hand-to-mouth or airborn (or cuts).

If you are that paranoid, remember that you are not required to eat off the floor if you don't want to.  I'll just make sure not to step on your dinner plate.

I could practically taste the condescension in that post. Tasty. wink

3. Express10 profile image83
    Express10posted 11 years ago

I don't like this idea either. It truly is a hygeine issue and these people are going to take all the poo, spit, chemicals, etc. from the ground and walk all over their home, put their feet into bed, or on the couch transferring this stuff everywhere. I think it's a horrible idea and I wonder if people know what they're gathering on the soles of their feet when I see them doing this.

I imagine if they wore shoes, they'd also transfer the yuck from them all over their homes and allow their kids to play on filthy floors and carpets.

4. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 11 years ago

Are you kidding???  I'm in Tennessee.  It bothers me if someone wears shoes in public!

Exactly! That's where i grew up!!!! That is the Promised Land!
      No shoes ever!

1. tobey100 profile image60
        tobey100posted 11 years agoin reply to this

There's nothing like not having to bind your feet and being accepted by your neighbor!

Your profile says Whites Creek. Is that in East Tennessee? I'm from Kingston.

2. profile image0
      Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

lol

5. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

I see no hygiene difference for the observer between shoes on and shoes off.  None of their business.

It would be great if personal hygiene only affected you-- but one argument we discovered in my microbiology class for wearing shoes in public was that barefooted people will collect and spread a HUGE variety of microorganisms (more so than those wearing substantial shoes)-- fecal matter, diseases, etc. Later, people will set things down on the floor, bags, purses, backpacks--things that you don't even think of--- and then that huge array of bacteria brought in by barefooted people gets spread around even more--kitchen counters where some women set their purses.... (that's just one example I can think of off the top of my head)

Really, being barefoot in some public places is a hygiene issue that can concern everyone. It was something I never thought of until I took that microbiology class and we literally proved it.

Technically, flip flops and thin soled sandals also tend to spread just as much bacteria as those who are barefoot, compared to tennis shoes or thicker, rubber soles, so I'm not trying to mandate that everyone wear shoes 24/7-- just that it is proven to spread more little critters everywhere. I'm not going to tell someone in a grocery store to put their shoes on, but I can't pretend that I have no problem with it.

Outside of public places, shoelessness is whatever. I grew up in Brazil and Georgia and went barefoot all the time outside, until I slashed my foot open on broken glass. tongue After that my parents mandated shoes.

1. profile image53

So "technically" there is little difference between flip-flops, sandals and bare feet in spreading germs.  It certainly makes sense that there are zero health code lawsin the US that require shoes for customers.

Your input has reaffirmed that there is no real health issue with a person barefoot in public.  Doesn't bother me in the least.  I'm not required to look at a person's feet under any circumstances.  I'm not required to place personal items on public floors.

It seems to me that hand washing would affect the spread of germ a 1000 fold over shoes.

BTW- I don't care if you have a problem with it, neither does the health dept.  When in doubt-MYOFB.

Ooh, have I angered you? I love when people sneak swear words into acronyms. It's cute. smile

6. jennzie profile image70
    jennzieposted 11 years ago

I have never seen anyone barefoot in any public places around here. That would be a strange sight.

However, I do enjoy being barefoot myself and prefer not to wear any shoes or socks when I can. I just wouldn't dare enter any public place without shoes.

If you don't mind my asking, where is "around here"? I find the regional attitudes fascinating.

1. jennzie profile image70
        jennzieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I live in southeastern PA, though I'm sure if you traveled north to Allentown, Northampton, etc., they would probably be much more lenient about going barefoot.

Wow that's quite a bit of difference. Hey barefoot where you can. It's good for you and I think it helps our frame of mind.

I actually get stressed when I go barefoot-- I'm so paranoid I'll step on something and cut my feet, because that happens to me a lot.

You must live in kind of a bad place for it which explains your feelings about it. No big. Sorry it does that to you.

7. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 11 years ago

when you see barefoot people walking up and down Miami Beach, you know they're tourists. Most residents wear flip-flops. I can't live without my flip-flops, but I'm only barefoot when I'm at the beach,, walking on the sand. But either way, I agree... you have to build up your system to handle all sorts of diseases. Nothing wrong with kids and big kids going out with no shoes on. Children need to grow to be strong.

8. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 11 years ago

Seeing people barefoot in public places doesn't bother me at all.  I spent the better part of the late 60s and early 70s barefoot. I do, however, have some serious issues with foot jewelry.  I don't mind seeing toe rings on bare feet, but I think they look tacky with sandals or flip-flops. And if you're going to show everyone your toes, for goodness sake, paint those nails.

You are like me and grew up then and it was just normal.

Did you ever have or wear the barefoot sandals? Just the strap across the foot? i really like those and have some homemade ones. Thinking of doing a hub on it.

9. Sally's Trove profile image78
    Sally's Troveposted 11 years ago

Who cares? I don't. Put shoes on or not. However, most local health codes regulate things like lack of shoes or shirts when in business establishments.

If you don't like those codes, work to repeal them.

1. profile image53

Those code you speak of don't exist.  There are zero health codes in the US requiring shirts or shoes for customers of food establishments or in public.

Says on the FRONT PAGE of the Health Dept. web site (VA) that there are no requirements.

10. Anti-Valentine profile image76
    Anti-Valentineposted 11 years ago

It's a silly idea to walk around barefoot in my opinion. I used to do it when I was a child walking home from school. Your feet get dirty; burnt from the road that's been baked in the sun; thorns, glass and so on in the feet.

I personally would only walk around barefoot in the house. In public when I see people barefoot I think it's a bit inappropriate but I don't say or do anything about it. It's their fault if they sustain any injuries. If people drive barefoot it's a problem because that's not legal I would imagine. I don't even like to see people driving with flops on.

I was a passenger in three different rear-ending accidents in the space of a year and each time, the person who hit us was wearing flip flops and blamed their accidental acceleration (or inability to stop) on their flip flop slipping around.

It got a little old after a while.... tongue

That being said, I'm guilty of driving with flip flops on.....

1. Anti-Valentine profile image76
        Anti-Valentineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, not such a good idea in m opinion. I don't do this. I always wear nice comfortable shoes for driving. Even if you have proper shoes, if they're too new and aren't worn in, they're hell for driving in because you can't "feel" the pedals!

big_smile sounds like they just didn't have a better excuse.

There are no laws anywhere in the US against driving barefoot.

11. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 11 years ago

I am the polar opposite of the OP - I *never* go barefoot, even in the house. I even wear pool shoes in the shower. I just don't like the idea of picking up germs/treading on something sharp.

I agree. Wouldn't want to step in something "yucky".

1. Druid Dude profile image60
        Druid Dudeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It only bothers me if he's draggin' a cross with a crowd behind him yellin' "CRUCIFY HIM!"

Good one. smile Just remember this isn't the religion forum. wink

2. 4FoodSafety profile image61
      4FoodSafetyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

EmpressFelicity,
      You are very wise. Our feet can harbor harmful bacteria. Remember, bacteria thrive on wet and warmth - our feet need to be covered.

1. profile image53
        tbreachposted 10 years agoin reply to this

mysophobia:

an anxiety disorder characterized by an overreaction to the slightest uncleanliness or an irrational fear of dirt, contamination, or defilement.

Mosby's Medical Dictionary, 8th edition. © 2009, Elsevier

2. profile image53
        nickwalton00posted 10 years agoin reply to this

That is actually one of the reasons I DO go barefoot. On the harsh environment your foot is, bacteria may be picked up, but they don't live very well. Most people, however, put them in nice, dark, warm, moist, incubators called shoes, and by doing so provide a great place for bacteria and fungus to grow. Going barefoot is a great way to prevent foot fungus and plantar warts, "The best but least-used preventative [for warts] appears to be to go barefoot as much as possible" -https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantar_wart

12. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

"No Shirt. No Shoes. No Service."

It's probably already been mentioned, but there are probably a 100 million of these signs on the windows of various retail businesses in the U.S. And that's the way it is... smile

1. profile image53

Complete BS.  I actually look for those signs everwhere I go.  I see them at about 1 in 20 stores.  It's a made up sign anyway, backed by nothing but the paper it's written on.

Copy and paste from a state's Govt. Health codes:

and no, you won't find a requirement for customers to wear shirts and shoes.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/hd/codes/

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
        paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Dude!!! lol

It all depends on where you live....

And guess what? The store owner can do whatever he/she wants when it comes to dress-codes. The store owner could require that no one can enter their store unless they are wearing a green polka-dot fish tie and high heels. Probably wouldn't get too many customers that way... But the store owner is legally entitled to do that if they want.

1. profile image53

Duuuuude, I called you out.  There are actually very few of those signs.
          You don't look, I do.  You were talking out of your ass.

No, I was talking out of my usual orifice. It's kind of hard to do the other when you're sitting down.

So, how have you enjoyed your first 4 hours at HP? lol

1. profile image53

Helping to dispel a myth, based on fact, not emoticons.

Beyond that, I wouldn't piss on your gums if your teeth were on fire.

And that's the way it is...

You poor thing...

OK. For you, I will make it 99 instead of a 100.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
                psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Um, wow.  Ew.

2. profile image53

I also am strongly in favor of being barefooted more often (or just about always), but I don't think you are helping things at all when you use hateful and rude sounding rhetoric. Be respectful of others and they'll be a lot more willing to listen to you and respect you.

1. profile image53

Oh, come off of it, Nick.  The topic has long been closed.  The posts speak for themselves.  I presented the facts, which were not disputed.  It's fine if it bothers people, but don't try to back your opinions with fallacy.

1. profile image0
                Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Oooh, yea! I love it when a troll pretends to be a different troll and fights with himself. Wait while I get the popcorn!

1. profile image53

Don't forget your meds, Beth...

2. profile image53

My opinions are the same as yours. I just think you shouldn't be a jerk when you present them.

13. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

Bare feet are not naturally any more unhygienic than bare hands.  You touch the ground with your feet, but not your ass.

1. Pearldiver profile image69
      Pearldiverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

THAT... Is Not the case with Victor Longbottom of BumbleTown - NZ!

His legs are so short - he leaves Snail Trails, which others often walk in! sad

14. profile image53
    Ayurvedic Healthposted 11 years ago

Not at all. Man was walking barefoot for millions of years. Now, if sanitation is a concern (restaurants for example), then yes, I would not like to see people without shoes

15. Xenonlit profile image62
    Xenonlitposted 11 years ago

It scares the heck out of me for that person's sake. There is too much disease and other nasty stuff that can be incorporated into the bloodstream through a skin break on the foot.

Here's an example: Do people realize how many times people spit on the sidewalk, and that spit contains more bacterial and viral stuff than a toilet? Staph is the worst infection of all, and the mouth carries it.

Let's add in toxins, molds, poisons and a host of other bad stuff, and all it takes is a tiny wound from a nail, broken glass, and other garbage.

16. Lisa HW profile image64
    Lisa HWposted 11 years ago

I don't care who does what (for the most part, and shoe-wise), but where's mistyhorizon?  I think it might bother her, if I recall correctly   big_smile)

17. Bedbugabscond profile image94
    Bedbugabscondposted 11 years ago

I do not care if people are barefoot. However, I have learned an important lesson. Wear shoes. I hate wearing shoes, and loved being barefoot. Of course, a piece of glass all the way to the bone has changed my mind. When ever I go outside, I will wear shoes!

18. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

I am definitely pro-barefoot at home. Outside, however, it can indeed be risky business. As far as what others do, I never really cared and am fine with it. big_smile

Some people take it so personally though! I'm rather amused by people who get their knickers in a twist over little things people disagree over. Oh, c'est la vie!

He was definitely not a happy camper. lol

Hahaha, I'm somewhat amused at his temper, but I vaguely feel sorry for him....not sure why....

2. profile image53

I am a huge barefoot advocate, but not that kind of advocate. I liked how you were pretty respectful and non argumentative.  I apologize for him and I hope you realize most barefoot lovers are really easy going people. They just love going barefoot because it feels great, is really healthy for your feet, and because they've realized through personal experience that most of the risks are vastly smaller than they are made out to be. Cheers!

19. Sethughes profile image89
    Sethughesposted 11 years ago

It doesn't bother me. But I think it depends on your geographic location. A beach town would be a haven for barefooters. A small town Kansas book store would not be appropriate. We must adapt to our surroundings to a point.

20. 4FoodSafety profile image61
    4FoodSafetyposted 10 years ago

Research has shown that feet can harbor bacteria and infestations for years. If we understand bacteria and disease we MUST be appalled. It is a safety item and understanding the severity of this is critical.

The Plastiki inventor, Rothschild was seen barefoot and everyone thought it was find except for the government officials. And in this case, the government officials were correct. Being barefoot in a grocery store is a safety concern and we must train and educate ourselves and our children.

Our future health depends upon understanding the harm of unseen bacteria.

1. profile image53

Your entire post is pure Psychobabble.

Copy and paste from a state's Govt. Health codes:

"and no, you won't find a requirement for customers to wear shirts and shoes."

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/hd/codes/

21. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

Worst thread ever.

22. ALUR profile image60
    ALURposted 10 years ago

It's not my business, though at times I go barefoot on my own lawn or have to dip my feet in a lake...
    It's on them to behave well keeping in mind being clean!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)