Hub Hopper looping?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (23 posts)
  1. profile image0
    delleaposted 10 years ago

The strangest thing just happened to me tonight, and this is the first time. For some reason, after I had rated a number of hubs, I got to a point where the last three hubs I had rated turned into a repetitive loop. I followed through with the second and third re-ratings of these hubs and when the fourth time through returned me back to the first of the last three hubs again I had to hop out entirely in order to break the cycle. Has this happened to any of you?

1. Simone Smith profile image89
      Simone Smithposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I apologize for that, dellea! Is the problem returning? If you see that this is happening regularly, please let us know about it in the technical problems Forum: http://hubpages.com/forum/category/3001

1. profile image0
        delleaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Simone, I haven't had time to go back in and hub-hop today but I'll keep you posted.

2. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
      pauldeedsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The classic hopper shows randomly chosen featured hubs that were first published in the last 36 hours, somewhat favoring Hubs in topics that you are following.   While there are some mechanisms in place to prevent showing you repeats, if you do a lot of hopping you certainly might see some of the same Hubs again.

2. paradigmsearch profile image58
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

HP announced they have redesigned the data flow.

http://nsf.gov/news/mmg/media/images/klein_bottle1_f.jpg

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Is the new name Hotel California?

3. profile image0
    delleaposted 10 years ago

Where did they announce this, and what does your photo have to do with it?

1. paradigmsearch profile image58
      paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It's a 3-dimensional mobius strip that takes you back to where you were. As to the HP announcement, I was just pulling your leg. big_smile

1. profile image0

Thank you for pulling my leg, but I was hoping for a serious response to my question, like the one Simone Smith provided.

1. paradigmsearch profile image58
          paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Paradigmsearch scurries off...

4. SidKemp profile image86
    SidKempposted 10 years ago

Simone, a similar thing happened to me about 5 days ago. I went hub-hopping using the old hub hopper, and several of the first hubs that came to me were ones I had seen in the hopper a day (or maybe two) before. I thought it might be a result of revisions by the authors and coincidence, and I was in a rush, so I didn't report it. If I see it again, I will.

1. Ceres Schwarz profile image39
      Ceres Schwarzposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Are we always suppose to see different hubs in the classic hopper? Because sometimes I do see hubs that I've already previously seen again. I even sometimes come across hubs that I've already commented on when hub hopping. I thought this was normal?

5. SerraB profile image62
    SerraBposted 10 years ago

And as to occasionally seeing the same hubs again, there are 'gold standard' hubs passed through -- so HP can assess your scoring and determine how much weight to give the ratings. It happened a lot more last year, not so much this year.

1. profile image0

Thank you all for your input! Another thing that I considered is, if you rate the same hub multiple times, will it adversely affect that person's hub? In other words, if I had rated the hub previously and forgot how I rated it, then I encounter it again in the hopper and rate it a second time differently... would that hurt the hubber's score that I'm reviewing, would it even damage my own "weight" of my own future hub ratings when rating others, etc, etc? I'm just wondering about the extent and depth of the problem overall.

1. SerraB profile image62
        SerraBposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think there are multiple ratings given for each hub, so rating similarly but not exactly to a time previous...it should be okay. And, days apart, it is possible the hub was edited - giving good reason for a different rating.

For the "weight", that's not something I know about.

What you encountered was probably a 'blip' and if it makes you wary, just skip hopping for a little while. And please note that I'm only speaking from my own experience and what I believe, the hopping thing has a lot going on behind the scenes we just won't be able to know.

1. profile image0

Thank you for your input!

2. Millionaire Tips profile image90
      Millionaire Tipsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That makes sense that there are some hubs that have already been rated by HubPages, so they can compare with your rating and determine your accuracy.  If there haven't been a lot of hubs published within the last 36 hours (as can happen on Mother's Day weekend), you may be seeing these pre-rated hubs again and again, since there aren't a lot of new hubs to show you.

6. yupperclub profile image60
    yupperclubposted 10 years ago

I would report any kind of loop like that to Hubpages authority.  Could mean the hubs are loop linked to each other...that's kind of a no no.  Something within the hubs should be able to break the loop...not something special that you had to do.  May have made that kind of mistake myself...but I eventually deleted the hubs just to be safe.  I would report it...even if you have to send a help email to their authority.  You can use any subject to get the email to them...just tell them what you found and if you can remember the hubs or where you came across them.  As much information as you can give them and I'm sure they will get right on it.

1. WryLilt profile image89
      WryLiltposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That made no sense? It's nothing to do with the hubs themselves.

I think they were under the impression it was through...finding a hub (not in the hopper), and clicking on related hubs at the bottom? And then continuously only having the same few hubs to click on? Maybe. That was my impression. A case of mistaken situation.

1. WryLilt profile image89
          WryLiltposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ah that may be it smile

2. profile image0

Nope, totally incorrect. If you read my initial post the situation happened in the Hub  Hopper... I have no idea what all these other folks are rambling on about, but they certainly are not talking about the "loop" I experienced in Hub Hopper. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth even writing in the forums because people get rambling off on other tangents that have absolutely nothing to do with the original message....

someone (not you) wrote a reply to your post, another person (not you either) replied to them and then I replied to the second person about the first person...because the person who responded to your query may have been confused about the situation.

It took me to a new window or else I'd have names in there. Sorry if you think I misinterpreted your initial post, since my other replies were on target.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)