Would fans be okay if marvel recasted the parts for Iron Man and Thor?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 10 years ago

As some fans will know, Robert Downey Jr's contract with Marvel Studios ended with the release of "Iron Man 3", which has almost hit the one billion dollar mark this year, and it's not even out on DVD/Blue Ray yet either. 

Anyways, it also turns out that Chris Hemsworth contract is also up after "Thor:  The Dark World."  As many marvel movie fans know, Marvel studios is notorious for not wanting to spend big money on actors.  In fact, Samuel L. Jackson almost walked away when his contract was up, and the studio nearly didn't resign him because of the money he wanted.  however, they were able to work things out, as you can clearly see.

It's also the reason why jason mamoa wasn't signed on to play drax in the upcoming, "guardians of the galaxy", because he wanted too much money, and marvel wasn't going to pay him.

although marvel has stated that they would like to have those actors back for avengers 2, but they did say that all the parts can be recast.  in fact, kevin fiege even said that he envisioned the iron man part to be kind of a James bond one, where you can easily see other actors playing that part.

therefore, what do you guys think?  you think marvel should open up the purse strings a bit, and pay those guys the money?  or do you think they should let them both walk if their demands are too high, and cast other people for those roles?  what are your thoughts?

1. Nickalooch profile image59
      Nickaloochposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I still think people would go see the movies, but they are foolish to think that these roles would not be hurt by recasting them. Most importantly, RDJ is a big reason for the success of this cinematic universe. He is the poster boy, he is the diva. He brought credibility to it. It would be really hard to recast his role solely because RDJ is essentially Tony Stark. And Tony Stark is RDJ, they are Iron Man. lol.

As for Thor, I could see them recasting that one just because of how big Chris Hemsworth is getting. If I were them though, I would try to find a way to bring him back for Avengers 2 and have his character written out after that. Thor was not always such a prominent figure in the Avengers so if he ends up sitting out Avengers 3 (which in my eyes i think will be Civil War, then that is no problem for Thor. He does not mettle in the affairs of mortals...unless his assistance means saving lives) Which again, this would make sense seeing how Ant-Man, Black Panther and Doctor Strange could all be a part of Phase Three making it less necessary for Thor to be needed. It would allow more screen time for these characters

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 10 years agoin reply to this

To be honest, I think RDJ and Chris Hemsworth will be back for "Avengers 2", but after that, I think RDJ will get recasted.  Don't get me wrong, I don't want him to be recasted for all the reasons you just said.  However, we have to be honest about ourselves here.  Right now, RDJ is a hot actor at the moment.  Granted, he's not up there with guys like Will Smith, Leonardo DiCaprio and etc yet, but he's still a known actor in Hollywood.  Plus, he already has another successful franchise in Sherlock Holmes, with a third movie on the way. 

Therefore, i think a lot of it will depend on whether RDJ gets a bigger contract or not.  If he gets a big contract, then I do suspect that his "Avengers" costars will do the same to follow his example.  no doubt about that.  however, i have a feeling RDJ will get recasted though because marvel studios won't pay him that much money to do more of these marvel films.

as for chris hemsworth, we'll have to wait and see how well "Thor:  The Dark World" does in order to determine how much of a bargaining chip does he have with the studio.  However, what other big movies has he done outside of thor and the avengers?  snow white and the huntsman wasn't exactly the biggest movie of last year.  granted, it still made enough to warrant a sequel, but it wasn't the big blockbuster of last year, so i think your right that chris hemsworth is replaceable if he demands too much money. 

edit:  Fyi, the star trek cameo as kirk's dad doesn't count because he was only in the damn movie for five minutes, and the film wasn't good because of him.  no it was good for other reasons.  sorry i forgot about that film for a minute.  lol

2. Nico J Lorentzen profile image59
    Nico J Lorentzenposted 10 years ago

Agreed.  I would probably lose interest in Iron Man without RDJ unless they cast another actor as interesting as he is.  That said, the man should move on when he feels it is time,  Hensworth, thought has only just gotten started as Thor, I'm sure he's not ready to drop the franchise.

3. Nickalooch profile image59
    Nickaloochposted 10 years ago

Hemsworth is a hot name in the business now though. He is getting thrown around in a lot of different movies. He is in the next Micheal Mann film and the next Ron Howard film. He was also up for a Coen Brother film i heard. So his name is out there. As for my reasons stated, I think the franchise would not suffer if Thor does not return post Avengers 2

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)