Hub Traffic ~ We are candles in the wind...

Jump to Last Post 51-73 of 73 discussions (197 posts)
  1. GinnyLee profile image87
    GinnyLeeposted 10 years ago

Looks like things are rebounding a bit now.

2. Barbara Kay profile image74
    Barbara Kayposted 10 years ago

Clear your browsing history and then search for one of your hubs. Mine had 8 sets of ads on it. It is looking really spammy. This can't be helping.

1. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Barbara, your "potential theory"  kind of struck a chord with me, because I removed over thirty Hubs around Wednesday (a few days ago), and my 24-hour, weekend, traffic hasn't looked dramatically different this weekend than it has been looking any other weekend.   (That thirty-plus  was around a third of the remaining Hubs after removing about a hundred and fifty of them months ago.  All but a couple of those that I removed last week were featured, so it wasn't as if they weren't in the "featured mix" last weekend (or any of the weekends over the last several months).  I don't use HP ads.

1. Barbara Kay profile image74
        Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I just noticed a couple of the hubs that haven't had good traffic, are now showing better in the search than before and have a red arrow. Maybe I shouldn't guess about the traffic. None of us knows.

All I know is that my Google traffic is way down. I want it back!

1. Jean Bakula profile image92
          Jean Bakulaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I still have lots of blue arrows and not one red. I'm having epic issues with my own blog, the ads aren't showing up, and the host is uncooperative about helping to find out what the issue is. I've had advice from many people, but it is all against the rules of where my blog is.

All of my hubs stayed featured somehow, people always were good to me with attention to them, and I delete or move ones that aren't getting traffic. I was at a point last week where I decided since I was in a stalled state until the blog issue gets fixed, I would concentrate on writing more hubs. People have always been very receptive to my topics here.

But now I'm not sure. I spread my writing around, but HP and my blog are my main sites, although I have written the obligatory amount of pieces on both Infobarrel and Wizzley. I don't seem to get much readership from Wizzley, and people seem to want to argue with me about my topics on Infobarrel, although they have Featured 2 out my 10 pieces. I try so hard to write interesting things, then a few weeks ago I saw a person (not here) get attention for writing about Nutella, the hazelnut, chocolate spread. I mean, I love chocolate and can scoff Nutella with the best of them. But as an interesting piece of writing? It's so frustrating!

1. WryLilt profile image88
            WryLiltposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Weebly isn't the best to deal with. This is why it's better to get your own hosted site.

I'm trying to get it worked out, but the site is ignoring me, I'll give it a few more days. I hate to have to move all the content, I wrote like mad to get it recognized by Google. to the point of suffering tendonitis. I have days where I am considering giving up on online writing. I love the creativity and love to write. But I was hoping to make some money too, and writing for little now to be making more in the future. It appears the timing was off.

1. WryLilt profile image88
                WryLiltposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Good luck. Have you read my latest hub for some ideas on maximising your content?

No, is it here? Something has to be off, I wrote so much and never made a penny. They upgraded me to Pro when I asked the helpline what was wrong, but seem to think that they did their job. I have to put all new ads on each post with Weebly Pro, and they show up in Edit mode, but not Live mode. The tutorial is very easy to read, I think the issue is from their side. I don't have a lot of latitude with titles I write on, it's what it is. I have a successful following, that's the real kick in the butt. I guess it's just being considered more of an advice column, and people don't buy. It would help if the ad thing could be worked out. I've had loads of suggestions, but as you know, people are all writing from different sites or ones they built themselves. I've improved on my computer skills, but not enough to build a site from scratch. I was on Blogger before it changed, and found it confusing. I'm giving the support people a few more days, but I guess it's not worth it to write on the blog anymore, though it's sad, people are reading it.

3. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

But I don't wanna be sacrificed...

Side note. Yep, my traffic drop is just shy of 50%.

Today I don't have ONE red arrow. People busy with Mother's Day?

4. Marketing Merit profile image94
    Marketing Meritposted 10 years ago

Putting aside our concerns at the drop in traffic for a second, what I find intriguing is that when I search for something on Google, I find the top results becoming increasingly less relevant to my search query.
    Furthermore, the sites being returned, ignoring Wikipedia, Amazon and eBay, often contain content that is of little substance.
    As a Google user, I am becoming increasingly frustrated by their search results. Do they really think they are getting this right?
    My Hubpages stats are also down circa 50%. Fortunately, I don't rely on this income, but I have never seen the stats so low.

1. Gcrhoads64 profile image90
      Gcrhoads64posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I was searching last night and many of the search results led to forum posts. It was awful!

1. Marketing Merit profile image94
        Marketing Meritposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Same here Gcrhoads64.
        A short while back, it seemed to be all scholarly articles that were ranking in the top spots. It was so bad that I started inserting -edu into my search results!
        Now, as you point out, it seems to be forum posts that are ranking highly. What on earth is Google doing?!!

5. paradigmsearch profile image59

Interesting. Yesterday my main website was a corpse along with my hubs. Today my website is back to pre-fiasco level as if the Google shenanigans never happened. So, I've put away my map to the nearest cliff and will wait to see the Tuesday/Wednesday hub results. Besides, I should tune up the car first anyway. I wouldn't want the thing stalling halfway down.

6. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
    PaulGoodman67posted 10 years ago

It's a Google change folks.  Things like Mothers' Day, or HP altering its advert scheme wouldn't cause large scale search traffic turbulence across the web.  But you can believe those theories if you want, I guess (just don't expect me to agree with you).  smile

My own traffic has certainly been hit, but not too drastically this time - I live to fight another day!  smile

(It's Squidoo that I'm more concerned about, to be frank!)

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/7804899_f260.jpg
      I just checked last weekend's hourly with this weekend's hourly. The pic says it all. I'd comment on my earnings, but profanity is against TOS.

7. janderson99 profile image54
    janderson99posted 10 years ago

Massive Deindexing Looms!
    It appears that HP's attempt to vaccinate HP from Panda has not worked.
    The vaccine has two components QAP and low traffic (no Google love).
    To assume that the 10-20% drop in site traffic (Panda slap) will all be OK when the entire site has been QAPed, is implausible because what has been done to improve traffic with this strategy has not worked so far (it worked last time, but not now).
    The latest Panda hit will mean more amd more deindexing (unfeaturing; Idling) because:
    => Lower traffic means more hubs will fail the traffic threshold
    => HP is likely to raise the QAP threshold still further as it did recently (Panda slap = Poor Quality)
    So, lots more pages will be Idled/Unfeatured.
    Bring it On!
    IMO - The real cause of the Panda slap is the spammy 'Related Search' ads.
    If they go, Panda will love us!
    Worth a very careful examination in the circumstances - IMO

1. SimeyC profile image87
      SimeyCposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think we get the point - you don't like the related searches. However you are completely blinkering yourself to what is happening - this is a planned google update that we were told about months ago. Rather than keep on blaming the related Ads why not put all your passion into looking at the rest of the people on the web who have experienced exactly the same as us and see if there is  common theme.

Objectively speaking I do not believe the 'related searches' have anything to do with this - over the last three or four years I have experienced huge drops instantly - I experienced one in early december that turned around on December 21 - this is simply another roller coast ride caused by Google....

1. janderson99 profile image54
        janderson99posted 10 years agoin reply to this

This is Panda, not the forecast giant Penguin update

May10 --- However, Cutts has ruled out that it was the significant Penguin Update he warned in March would be coming. He tweeted:
            @mrjamiedodd nope, no new Penguin update this week.
            — Matt Cutts (@mattcutts) May 10, 2013
        He went on to say that the next Penguin Update is a few weeks out:
            @mrjamiedodd we do expect to roll out Penguin 2.0 (next generation of Penguin) sometime in the next few weeks though.
            — Matt Cutts (@mattcutts) May 10, 2013

http://searchengineland.com/google-matt … ate-158980

8. paradigmsearch profile image59

Well, I'm done writing and editing hubs for the foreseeable future. Busily adding posts to my main website.

9. SimeyC profile image87
    SimeyCposted 10 years ago

Interesting observation - while my traffic is down (although today it has recovered some) I note that the hubs I consider my 'stellar' hubs are actually increasing traffic - it's my average hubs that don't really have any quality information that are failing- so perhaps this is a good update from Google....

10. paradigmsearch profile image59

My drop seems to have stopped. And I didn't hit a year 2013 new low. Paradigmsearch perks up a little bit...

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

My drop has stopped too, and it's going up a little.

Not nearly enough for a Sunday, though - that's usually a very good day of the week for me and beat only by Monday.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
        mistyhorizon2003posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ditto, upturn not nearly as high as normal for a Sunday sad

11. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 10 years ago

This is shared by SEO Chemist (thisisoli) in Facebook - Matt Cutts: Gadgets, Google, and SEO

http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/what-to-e … ng-months/

I love the image on the tee-shirt --- Chrome to go too?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image61
        prettydarkhorseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

He usually wears pastel colored shirt. I still like Chrome, who knows what he is going to do next wink

2. paradigmsearch profile image59

My hearing is not that great, did I hear that video correctly? Google officially hates floating ads? First third of the video. If I heard it right, then as far as I'm concerned, this explains our current traffic fiasco.

Yep 'Related Search' are Spammy Deceptive ads that Panda hates

I feel a rant meme coming on...

http://memecrunch.com/meme/L3IE/i-d-do-a-rant-here/image.png

Wrong Bear !

big_smile

If a 40% traffic drop doesn't get their attention, nothing will. lol

2. profile image0
          summerberrieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

~and they float!

1. LCDWriter profile image89
            LCDWriterposted 10 years agoin reply to this

We all float down here.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7991881_f248.jpg

2. prettydarkhorse profile image61

All he said is about niche authority and authority of the publisher.

12. paradigmsearch profile image59

http://ct.fra.bz/ol/fz/sw/i59/2/5/13/frabz-Google-indexed-me-where-5a1784.jpg

13. paradigmsearch profile image59

http://ct.fra.bz/ol/fz/sw/i60/2/5/13/frabz-Google-thinks-my-hubs-are-what-966f0e.jpg

14. Dale Hyde profile image80
    Dale Hydeposted 10 years ago

Still no improvements here at my end. sad

As more Monday data rolls in I am now only down 30% from last Monday.

15. paradigmsearch profile image59

Perturbed...

I just stumbled across the news item about yesterday's major solar flare.

Every time there is a solar event, my solar hub gets a spike in traffic.

But not this time.

Screw it; I'm not even going to bother to update it like I normally would.

1. HollieT profile image79
      HollieTposted 10 years agoin reply to this

People can be slow, I'd give it 48 hours before making a judgement call as to whether your solar hub will become a short lived, but hot topic!

You may have a point. I haven't become a permanent, intractable cynic yet. I'm reserving that possible status until after I see completed Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday total account traffic results.

I'm a permanent, intractable cynic, but I still say give it a few more days.

1. Barbara Kay profile image74
            Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Mine has gone up a bit, so you might be right.

I don't have many pieces here anymore, so not affected by the current Google shenanigans.  And I've come to the conclusion that each site is useful in one way or another. At the end of the day, HP is PR6, if you haven't been slapped there's a possibility that you'll pick up a decent amount of traffic if Google likes the page- if not, and it's idled, it can be moved to Wizzley, where as long as it meets the quality guidelines will not be penalised for not receiving many organic hits. It still has the opportunity to earn something. Wizzley is also better for Amazon sales.

Squidoo is too volatile at the moment, not sure it's worth the investment until it settles down. Then there's the clique to contend with. I'd want my article to be featured because it's worthy, not because of my comfortable associations with the "popular crowd".

I can see a role for Zujava in the future, too. I think the old adage about eggs and baskets has never been more relevant than it is today. Suppose we just have to learn which content fits where, and go with it.

2. paradigmsearch profile image59

Because of you, I went and added an update paragraph to the hub. big_smile

Thanks. smile

Well, it certainly can't hurt it. smile

16. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 10 years ago

Well at least a few of the chickens are trying to screw their heads back on.

Is it worth pointing out that we have had two ups and two downs in the last six or seven months? That suggests we are on a cusp where an algo change can push us either way. Compared to Squidoo (purges and panic), Wizzley (shot down during takeoff) and Infobarrel (about as purposeful as a zombie) things are not that bad.

More QAP, more attention to the trade and craft of writing for money, and more duct tape on more necks should do the trick.

p.s. my traffic is good enough today.

p.p.s the RS ads make a great object for displacement activity but are not the issue

1. Susana S profile image93
      Susana Sposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Lol! Totally agree with all of that. Particularly like the image of chickens screwing their heads on!

2. HollieT profile image79

How has Wizzley been shot down before take off? I agree that your articles wont receive as much traffic as a non-slapped HP account, but sales articles do particularly well compared to here. And there's a lot more opportunities to monetize your content.

3. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
      PaulGoodman67posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Will's assessment. 

I think the people who think there will be an instant recovery are maybe being over-optimistic.  Better to think in weeks and months, rather than days.

I worry that Squidoo might kill the patient, rather than the disease, with its medicine, I hope the panic over there subsides.

Wizzley and Infobarrel are in a different league, so it's difficult to compare them directly with HP and Squidoo, methinks.

HP Quantcast data arrove...

Comparing Monday-5/6 data versus Monday-5/13 data, HP is down 19.3%

1. Will Apse profile image87
          Will Apseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Probably still some life in the patient, then.

All the chickens who still have heads should now squawk.

Squawk!!

Looking at the charts, my former day-trader instincts tells me that the Tuesday percentage drop will be even less than the Monday percentage drop. It will be fun to see if I get that right or not. big_smile

1. Will Apse profile image87
              Will Apseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Let's hope so. I had very good day today, income-wize, so that has cheered me up.

1. sabrebIade profile image80
                sabrebIadeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have noticed that too Will.
                I have had about a 200 hit a day drop...but my income has stayed the same or in some cases actually risen.
                More targeted traffic????

17. paradigmsearch profile image59

Well, folks. Monday Quantcast data for HP hasn't arrove yet.

As for yours truly and for those who want to compare...

Unless belated Analytics data rolls in, my stat is as follows...

Comparing Monday-5/6 data versus Monday-5/13 data, I officially have a 28.7% traffic drop. I write about every topic under the sun, just like HP. It will be interesting to see how my stats compare to HP overall. Will paradigmsearch do better or worse than HP? Betting pools are being setup as we speak. big_smile

18. Will Apse profile image87

For affiliates this is good news from a recent BBC report:

'The US economy grew at an annual rate of 2.5% in the first three months of the year, helped by the strongest consumer spending figures in two years.'

'Consumer spending rose at an annualised rate of 3.2%, according to the Commerce Department data.'

It all helps.

One problem for Amazon affiliates might be that Amazon have finally agreed to pay state sales taxes, so prices will rise. Having said that, consumer online spending habits are now so ingrained it might not have an impact,

"Amazon have finally agreed to pay state sales taxes" - I hadn't heard that, although am aware that congress is working on forcing it.  Is there more than congressional action?

I don't see Amazon prices going up much.  I'm sure they'll increase a small amount to cover the cost of collecting state taxes, but that's all.  The cost of a product will go up, of course, as there are now taxes to pay, but people paying those are already used to it and unless it is a large purchase I doubt they'll pay much attention.

You may not see that much change in price - the reason that Amazon are now 'for' this provision is that they can build factories etc. in every state and create 'same day delivery' options - so the increase in efficiencies and the potential of increased revenue from delivery (and probably more sales) will offset any additional change in price - of course the actual amount the user pays at the end will depend on their State's sales tax....me thinks I need to move to Florida!

Hmm.  Maybe.  However, if that were the case that increased revenue would be the result, those distribution centers would have already been built, seems to me.  Unless Amazon thinks that people having to pay sales tax will not buy as much, and if that's true prices will go up to cover loss of sales.  At least short term - they could also find that to be a losing business strategy over time.

I think they like more because it's going to happen and it immediately puts all the online sales outfits on the same playing field.  As it will hurt smaller outfits disproportionally that will reduce competition immediately.  Amazon already has the ability to collect sales tax but many companies do not and it will hurt them.

"those distribution centers would have already been built" - they didn't build them because they would have been forced to add sales tax in those states - now that it's a country wide law (or about to be) - they can blame the government....

..it's all about perception - last year it would have been perceived that Amazon was the one that effectively forced the sales tax in certain states - this year it'll be perceived that this is federal government forcing the change.

They can blame the government but assigning blame doesn't fix the bottom line.  I still think that if it were financially workable those centers would have already been built.

They CAN be built now (maybe) because a fixed cost (collecting sales tax) has been added instead of being part of the additional cost associated with building them, but that will still mean an increase in costs.  Just not an increase Amazon can control and that can make those centers more profitable rather than less.

19. Will Apse profile image87

Also, the fact that Amazon have agreed 'in principle' does not mean they won't be using all their corporate muscle to slow the implementation process down.

A cynical take on the whole business:
    http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/865995ce … z2THP6hQTV

Last I heard (last year) was that Amazon was supporting a nation wide forced collection.  That was part of the deal in California in getting their tax code changed back to not collecting for an additional year.

I think Amazon knows this will happen, that their best bet is to fight for provisions that will benefit them as much as possible and forget about not collecting state tax at all.

20. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 10 years ago

They are also building their own one day delivery system, bad for other businesses like UPS and FedEx. Mostly eBay uses USPS which is already struggling.

Personally, as a frequent Amazon and eBay buyer, I still like to buy online rather than go to stores even if there is added tax.

I'm buying more and more online as well, but when the purchase is large (a $1500 TV, maybe) the sales tax does play a part in the decision.  I'd like to buy local, but the extra $100 tax says go online.  So Amazon could lose out on big purchases from me.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image61

Right, but the ability to compare is always there online smile For big purchases it is good to compare online including Walmart online etc.

21. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 10 years ago

Today has been my worst traffic in months. I'm looking at a 50% loss. WTH!?!

22. hazelbrown profile image83
    hazelbrownposted 10 years ago

Same here, although I'd say my I'm getting about 1/3 of my usual views sad  and I was finally starting to earn some money!! bummer!

23. paradigmsearch profile image59

Paul's post from another thread.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)