Extreme weather to Obama's rescue again?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 10 years ago

I predict it's just a matter of time (hours, at most days) before the conspiracy
    theorists accuse President Obama of engineering (read: causing) today's horrific tornadoes in Oklahoma to take the media glare off his scandalous administration.

Just like he did with Hurricane Sandy to win the election last fall. See below.

I would be thrilled beyond words to be wrong on this.

http://www.geoengineeringwatch.org/obam … ane-sandy/

P.S. I join the rest of our nation and international friends in mourning the unspeakable devastation and loss of life.

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

There are a lot of stupid people in the world.  Not ignorant, mind you, (that is correctable) but just plain stupid.  I don't know if they fear technology, government or if they just hate everything/everybody around them but they certainly don't know where the "on" switch is to their gray matter.

Yes, I'm sure we'll see more conspiracy theorists popping from the woodwork.

2. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately Daily Show creator Lizz Winstead couldn't help herself. “This tornado is in Oklahoma so clearly it has been ordered to only target conservatives.”,  “How long has Obama known about this Tornado?”, “Tornado just bumped me from MSNBC.”

I suppose schoolchildren trapped under tons of rubble passes for lib humor nowadays. After realizing the extent of the disaster however, she did apologize. “Made a political joke, Twas before devastation revealed. In hindsight, had I understood, I would have refrained. Beyond sorry.”

It's ironic that the people Ms. Winstead loves to mock are the very people best prepared to recover from such a tragedy. People of faith, people who believe in neighbor helping neighbor, people not waiting around for money from the feds. I think Oklahoma might have quite a few of these people. Should a disaster ever befall Ms. Winstead, she would be fortunate to be surrounded by Oklahomans.

3. Lions Den Media profile image61
      Lions Den Mediaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I predict it will be mere minutes before liberal progressives begin claiming the tornado was due to: climate change, global warming, sequester and a lack of taxes. Liberals will run about, including Vladimir Obama, claiming the government is going to "eliminate red tape" and ensure the great  people of OK are taken care of just like they were in NJ after hurricane Sandy. Unfortunately, most people affected by Sandy have not been helped by the federal government and still lack electricity and in many cases don't even have a home to live in. In the case of this tornado, the people of OK will be better served depending on themselves and their neighbors to rebuild and tell Obama to stay the hell out of the State.

The issue isn't that Obama "caused" this natural disaster...that is simply absurd. Instead it is the fact Americans will allow Obama to use this disaster as a prop just like Sandy. Obama doesn't give a damn about anyone of these people.  Currently 53 percent of America approves of Obama's handling of - Benghazi, the IRS scandal and the AP/Fox News scandal involving the DOJ. So that means 53 percent or a majority of the American population are the dumbest SOBs on planet earth...which is proven by the test scores of these  degenerates graduating high school and college and those under 40.

4. profile image50
      Lie Detectorposted 10 years agoin reply to this

"P.S. I join the rest of our nation and international friends in mourning the unspeakable devastation and loss of life."

While using it for some bizarre attempt at humor.

Mighty Momposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Exactly why I included that sentence.
        I knew I would be castigated for pointing out the obvious:
        how quickly political implications/opportunities completely overshadow the human toll.

Happened with Sandy.
        Happened with Newtown.
        Happened with Boston.
        Happening all over again with Oklahoma.
        Still happening with Benghazi.

It's not humorous. It's really sad.

1. profile image50

"how quickly political implications/opportunities completely overshadow the human toll."

And you're doing your part.

2. profile image0
          HowardBThinameposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Conspiracy theories to explain conspiracy theories.

What will they think of next?

1. profile image0
            Motown2Chitownposted 10 years agoin reply to this

So I was just scrolling through forums.  I noticed your name.  Wanted to tell you again what a cool username I think it is.  big_smile

Carry on.

1. profile image0
              HowardBThinameposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. Not everyone gets it right away. wink

2. Mighty Mom profile image77

lol
            I'm officially joining the anti-conspiracy conspiracy theory movement.

5. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The article says the Bush Administration steered Hurricane Katrina.    So the author isn't just going after Obama.   I bet if he WASN'T going after Obama,   you'd be inclined to buy the conspiracy theory too.  lol

And honestly,  most conservatives, I think, simply think that Obama USED the tragedy to further his agenda and distract from accountability for his doings.    That's not saying he CAUSED the hurricane.    The article in question is different from what most conservatives believe.    But hey,  it could be true!   Who knows?!    There is a huge amount of stuff that the average citizen doesn't know about what our leadership does.

Good to know mainstream conservatives don't believe Obama is God. smile
        But I do have to ask:
        When/where did President Obama use the tornado disaster to further his agenda or
        distract from accountability?
        Because the media was forced to cover something other than the three-ring circus in Congress for 2 whole days?

Regardless, they're (the media) back on track now.
        IRS still front and center.
        Drones are in the news.
        But Umbrellagate is history.
        Today it's all about Obama's high school prom picture (and this on the most liberal
        of the news networks, too).
        roll

1. profile image50

If you're talking about MSNBC that might explain why nobody watches. Just a theory, conspiratorial?

2. Zelkiiro profile image86
    Zelkiiroposted 10 years ago

You know what would be even more hilarious? If one of said conspiracy theorists had his house blown away by one of those tornadoes, destroying all of his "evidence."

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

If he ignored it he would be called a cold-hearted bastard, if he responds to it he is using it as a "prop".  If people hate you, they hate you.  You can't please them.

Yup.
      Boehner ordered the flags to half staff.
      I can only imagine the sputtering if it had been Obama who did that.
      roll

4. Mighty Mom profile image77

1. Onusonus -- How refreshing to actually get in front of an absurd political slanting rarther
    than having to wait for the absurd political slanting to occur before skewering it.

2. Lions Den Media
    So many accusations crammed into a single post. Don't have time to respond to them all.
    Of COURSE the idea that the tornado was caused by Obama is absurd. That is the whole
    point. That will not prevent people from seeing it that way.

In terms of accepting aid to rebuild their state, here's an interesting tidbit.
    Oklahoma senator Tom Coburn is not refusing federal disaster relief. He did vote to deny aid to New Jersey, but he wants aid for his state, by golly!
    At the same time, he's demanding budget cuts elsewhere (in "less important areas") to pay for it. I see. I wonder whose roof he wants to take away so he can rebuild his. Who he wants to take education away from so Oklahoma can rebuild the flattened schools.

Here's an excerpt:

"Although the disaster is only hours old, federal aid for Oklahoma is already a political controversy, notes NBC’s First Read newsletter. Sen. Tom Coburn (R) of Oklahoma is calling for budget cuts elsewhere to offset the cost of disaster relief in his home state.

“He’ll ask his colleagues to help Oklahoma by setting priorities and sacrificing less vital areas of the budget,” Coburn spokesman John Hart told Politico. 

Senator Coburn was one of 36 Republican senators who in January voted against federal disaster relief funding for superstorm Sandy, which hit New York and New Jersey in September, reminds Emily Pierce of CQ Roll Call. Oklahoma’s other senator, James Inhofe, and three of the state's five congressmen also voted no on federal Sandy relief.

Cole, for is part, voted yes. “Keep an eye on Rep. Tom Cole (R-OK) in this. He has been a bridge between the establishment and conservatives on issues like Sandy relief and the fiscal cliff. He’s got a lot of credibility with a bipartisan swath of members, and he may end up having to do a lot of political legwork to de-politicize this issue,” says NBC’s political team.

How to pay for disaster aid is an issue that exposes divisions within the GOP. Rep. Harold Rogers (R) of Kentucky, chairman of the powerful House Appropriations Committee, said Tuesday morning that he does not favor identifying spending cuts to offset the cost of relief for Oklahoma. According to Politico, Representative Rogers told a small group of reporters, “I really don’t think disasters of this type should be offset.” He added: “We have an obligation to help those people. We’ll worry about our budgetary items back here, but the aid has to be there."

As I predicted in the OP, who is really politicizing this tragedy? Certainly not Obama.

1. GA Anderson profile image88
      GA Andersonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This is a perfect "Quill" moment, ie. the perfect opportunity to provide the context that would show how shallow and "spiritually" incorrect that statement is. (Spiritual as in not technical, not as in religious)

I'm surprised that you would say something like that, ie. repeat a Democratic talking point, (the Dems were even tweeting that accusation as the recovery process was/is ongoing), without checking it out first.

But, I am not Quill, so I'm not going to waste the time finding the links to the actual bill they voted against, or the text that describes why they did....

I will just say that the disaster relief money for Hurricane Sandy was not a stand-alone bill. It was tucked into a  bill of pork that was of nearly omnibus magnitude. That the Sandy disaster relief was tacked on this particular bill was a political tactic - a poison pill for any that dared to consider voting against the pork.

But of course the context may not matter - it's the perception that counts, right?

Sheesh MM, you know better.

GA

Apparently, previous disaser funding bills were not laden with such pork, and were thus
        acceptable to Mssrs Coburn and Inhofe. These fiscal hawks who are fine with the package when they're on the receiving end of the money.
        More liberal talking points, I guess. Since this is from HuffPo. Although both are all over all the news outlets. Take your pick of networks.

Oklahoma currently ranks third in the nation after Texas and California in terms of total federal disaster and fire declarations, which kickstart the federal emergency relief funding process. Just last month, President Barack Obama signed a disaster declaration for the state following severe snowstorms.

And despite their voting record on disaster aid for other states, both Coburn and Inhofe appear to sing a different tune when it comes to such funding for Oklahoma.

In January of 2007, Coburn urged federal officials to speed disaster relief aid after the state faced a major ice storm.

A year later, in 2008, Inhofe lauded the fact that emergency relief from the Department of Housing and Urban Development would be given to 24 Oklahoma counties. "The impact of severe weather has been truly devastating to many Oklahoma communities across the state. I am pleased that the people whose lives have been affected by disastrous weather are getting much-needed federal assistance," he said at the time.

The cost of the recovery effort for this week's tornadoes is likely to be high. After a spate of tornadoes in the state in 1999, Oklahomans requested and received $67.8 million in federal relief funds.

5. Mighty Mom profile image77

Comforting, isn't he?
    sad

[url]http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/video-pat-robertson-blames-tornado-victims-not-praying[url]

6. profile image0
    JaxsonRaineposted 10 years ago

Sen. Whitehouse blaming this on the GOP.

Climate change of course.

7. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

I wasn't aware that the GOP single-handedly caused climate change. But I'll take you word for it.

8. Mighty Mom profile image77

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/8020475_f248.jpg

I really, really wish I had been wrong about this.
    sad

9. profile image50
    Lie Detectorposted 10 years ago

Speaking of conspiracy theories you ought to visit the British soldier thread. One being thrown around is the two killers are actually insane islamaphobes not the Muslims they claimed to be.

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Oh God.   There's a thread like that?  Say it ain't so.

1. profile image50

Not the thread just some very entertaining posts from a hubber.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)