Allow Subdomain Wildcards such as WWW, For More Exposure.

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (16 posts)
  1. profile image0
    buckjosephposted 10 years ago

http://buckjoseph.hubpages.com/ is a valid link, but when you add the World-Wide-Web sub-domain, such as http://www.buckjoseph.hubpages.com/ will not work.

It is a real problem, more than any of you will ever know! Most people that are actually used to the web will know that you don't need a wildcard anymore, but many people still think that you need the WWW extension, like most of my family and friends here in the small-town of Glasgow, KY, USA. Most of Kentucky, even the bigger cities, is still rural, and it would help a whole lot if we could be allowed to use wildcards.

This would give us more exposure, meaning more revenue to not only Hubbers, but also HubPages as a company. For those of you who have clicked on my broken link, you will see why we need them.

Please help!

Thank you for your regards.

~Joseph D. Smith

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This is a great point - I hadn't realized people couldn't find us with the wildcard.

2. Simone Smith profile image87
      Simone Smithposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Very interesting, buckjoseph! I had never heard of this being a problem before. I'll bring it up in our next community meeting and see what the team suggests. Thank you for starting the thread. big_smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm absolutely astonished that this wasn't already covered.  It's a pretty basic thing - all domains and sub-domains should work whether or not someone types www in front of them.  Hope it gets fixed soon.

1. lobobrandon profile image89
          lobobrandonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Surprise surprise... How coul0 www redirects be forgotten and no one even realized it before roll Thanks for pointing it out buckjoseph

3. Susana S profile image93
      Susana Sposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This issue did come up a couple of years back - here's the thread: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/83045

The staff response at the time (from Jason) was that so few people would type http://www.etc into the address bar that it wouldn't be worth the hassle.

1. lobobrandon profile image89
        lobobrandonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Oh. I thought it would be a simple thing to do. But that's considering one domain not sure how they'd do it for all our subdomains. I doubt it would have to be one at a time though

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I must admit I assumed it would be easy too, but then I've only had to do it for a domain not a subdomain.

2. Simone Smith profile image87
        Simone Smithposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wow, you're quite good at finding those threads, Susana S!

After bringing the issue up in today's community meeting, the same conclusion was reached: this is so rarely an issue (and people are smart enough to Google Hubbers' names, or try the address without "www" I guess) that we do not have the justification required to put resources toward addressing it at this time.

Sorry to disappoint! ^_^;;

2. profile image0

Why thank you, Marcy, and Simone! I appreciate it that a HubPages staff member respects this idea, and I equally appreciate it that a high-ranked Hubber thinks the same way.

May the team find a solution.

~Joseph D. Smith

3. profile image0

Well, for those of us who have used free hosting services, such as Blogger for blogs, or even ProBoards for message boards, we were still able to use the wild-card.

There are a lot of people still not used to the internet, and it would help a whole lot for those who still think that you need the WWW. I used to think that surely everyone has internet now, but many of my friends still don't. They have to go to a friends house, and when they finally get the internet, they will still have no clue.

4. profile image0

What kind of resources do you need to do this anyway? How much more will it cost? I know that you will need to put time, money, and resources into creating the wildcard, but after you are done, it's like nothing ever happened.

I have witnessed first-hand the countless amount of people who have come up to me and said that the page didn't work, because they still try to type in the WWW. The first person who told me surprised me, because I didn't realize that she was trying to type in the WWW, I just couldn't figure out for the life of me why she couldn't see it.

I know why now, and it bothers me that we can invest in a little more resources for the 20% (wild guess) who still type it in. It would be worth it, because even though it's a small number, they are still out there, and HubPages would be more accessible!

5. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 10 years ago

I remember this topic!

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/86908#post1862634

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/83045

Can understand not having the resources to allocate to the change - but definitely not the assumption that people are smart enough ... the issue is never "are they smart enough" its "will they bother to try again"

Usually, they probably wont - not to mention the potential "malformed" links across the web that not only do not resolve correctly but also lead to an error message that simply says the user doesnt exist

Make a new error message "hey there, try without the www ! "

1. profile image0
      buckjosephposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That could work. But it would be better though just to flat out allow the "WWW".

1. sunforged profile image70
        sunforgedposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I dont disagree with you ... just already typed my case out two years ago smile ( I just reread and it was "fun" conversation back then)

Unless the community meeting was followed by a full days crunching of 404 and error log data and HP systematically checks for 404's (probably impossible with this massive site) the decision would be based on a guess.

But you always have to set priorities and there are likely more  pressing ones than this at HP's door.

But for your own sites and future projects - def give it the old actual test by doing technique - might blow your mind to see what happens when you "claim" all the links in the world that were intended for your site and you make an effort to guide and assist "users" who land somewhere unexpected.

6. profile image0

So, we can get to an article by typing http://www.buckjoseph.hubpages.com/hub/ … ceful-Life and it works successfully, but we can't do the same for http://www.buckjoseph.hubpages.com/?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)