Amazon versus Ebay module

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Blond Logic profile image94
    Blond Logicposted 10 years ago

Can someone please clear this up for me. If I use the Ebay module and someone buys anything from Ebay that started via my link, I get paid. This I understand.

My question is, does this apply to Amazon as well? Or, do they have to buy the specific item I have placed in my hub? I am sure I read that I will only get credited if they purchase that one particular item. Is this correct?

1. Georgie Lowery profile image90
      Georgie Loweryposted 10 years agoin reply to this

No. Amazon works a little differently. If I click your Amazon ad for a pair of roller skates and I end up not buying that but purchase a big screen tv instead, as long as I haven't closed that original window from clicking your ad, you will get paid commission on the big screen tv. I had this weird thing happen when I first started using Amazon where I apparently sold three little bitty shopping carts that I had obviously not advertised. I e-mailed Amazon and this was essentially the answer they gave me.

1. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It is basically a 24 hour window to place items in your shopping cart, not until the window is closed.  This can change if a customer leaves and returns through another affiliate link but basically it is a 24 hour window.

https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/gp … elp/t2/a11

Blond Logicposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I feel more confident now about using the Amazon capsule. Although  24 hours isn't much time, let's hope for decisive customers! Thanks for your help.

1. wilderness profile image94

Keep in mind that that 24 hours refers to putting something in the shopping cart.  Typically, people have 90 days to pay for it, but they don't have to actually pay within that 24 hours - just put it in the cart.

Once in a while I see a "sale" (put in cart) that never pays off (never shipped), but it's not common.  Most people buy after putting something in their cart.  An exception might be someone looking for a shipping cost - there are a handful of things that won't show until in the cart - and there are other reasons as well, but it's not an everyday thing.

2. Blond Logic profile image94

Oh, that is good news. I have been using Ebay capsules in the main because of this and often they don't have anyone selling something that  suits my hub. Thanks for clearing that up.

2. wilderness profile image94

Your understanding of eBay is incorrect.  You are not paid commission on sales (as you are for Amazon); you are paid by the click.  Whether anything is purchased or not, every click will produce income.

The catch is the the value of a click varies by some esoteric and secret eBay algorithm based on what clickers from your site have done in the recent past.  Looked around, signed up with eBay, purchased, made a bid; these and more are apparently factored in.

I knew that I received money albeit, small change, for impressions but when someone buys something I get more, right? On my Ebay sales reports, it says:

"Please note that the eBay revenue is NOT your earnings for a transaction. Advertisers can post corrections to previously credited winning bids up to 8 days after the transaction. Examples of corrections include the buyer returning the item to a seller, unpaid items, and seller credits. Corrections to the eBay revenue numbers are shown in green or red, according to whether the correction is positive or negative, respectively.

Please also note that the data below are on all impressions on this Hub, including both your share (60%), and ours and anyone else sharing that remaining 40% (including referrers).
        eBay Revenue     Item Name and Hub"

This of course has what was sold and how much I made, my 60% and Hubpages (and anyone else)40%. If I am credited with a sale, I get more than just the one impression that I created, don't I?
        Out of interest, which do you feel you have had the most success with?

1. CyclingFitness profile image90
          CyclingFitnessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Which you have more success with is always going to be relative to both the reader and the trust they have in your recommendations.

Amazon is likely to be a more trusted source for many internet users- however the bargain hunter may see eBay as an opportunity to purchase at significantly less or on more 'niche' items.

I tend to be more drawn to Amazon capsules as a hubber as they allow me to make more personal recommendations in the capsule text. But if a specific product isn't available on Amazon i'll often consider eBay.

2. GA Anderson profile image87
          GA Andersonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wilderness gave you a correct answer, but perhaps you could use more explanation.

There is a discussion about this in the G+ Hubpages community if you are interested. Here is the link:
          https://plus.google.com/u/0/10361373191 … MnHvYoTb3L

Essentially:
          *Technically you DO get paid for ebay impressions - IF by impressions you mean clicks - but the reality is that if the clicks you send never result in sales - then your earnings will be pennies per month. (or even year)

1. ebay bases your earnings rate on the value, (to ebay - as in sales fees), of the clicks you send them - not just the amount of clicks.

2. Just sending lookie-lous to ebay WILL DECREASE your earnings

3. To answer your last question - No you don't. As Wilderness said, ebay does NOT pay commissions - they only pay a click rate.

GA

I am so pleased I asked this question. I read a hub awhile back that promoted the Ebay capsule far above using Amazon. My weekend will now be spent making the appropriate changes to my hubs so the long awaited  windfall of sales will begin to roll in. LOL
            Thank you all for your help and advice.

Just a quick follow up. After making the changes you suggested,  I just sold 4 more things on Amazon where I had previously sold nothing via Ebay.  Thanks again.

3. wilderness profile image94

GA gives a good answer to most of your question, but I will say that I earn far more (10X) from Amazon than eBay.  On the whole, I prefer Amazon where the commission is transparent and I have a much better idea of what I need to do to produce income.

Thanks so much for such a complete and thorough overview. It looks like I have a few changes to make on my hubs.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)